PDA

View Full Version : Which is higher in the Infernal Ranking? A White Abishai or a Barbed Devil?

Cisturn
2020-11-20, 11:06 AM
I know Abishai are a bit outside the ranking. They have a higher CR but I was wondering what other people's perspectives are, or if there was a definative answer.

Naanomi
2020-11-20, 11:11 AM
Given the nature of the Hells, I bet that neither is 'higher' absolutely... rather there are treaties and books of legalese defining their specific roles and interactions in excruciating and nearly incomprehensible detail

Osuniev
2020-11-20, 12:39 PM
Depends on context. In a mission mandated by Tiamat ? The Abishai. In NEssus ? The Barbed Devil. Really, it depends on the DM.

Unoriginal
2020-11-20, 12:40 PM
I know Abishai are a bit outside the ranking. They have a higher CR but I was wondering what other people's perspectives are, or if there was a definative answer.

Well, as you said, Abishai are not part of the standard infernal hierarchy. So in general a White Abishai would have no official authority over a Barbed Devil, and neither would the Barbed Devil over the Abishai.

That being said:

- If both work under the same boss, then it depends on which position the boss assigned to each

- In consequence of the previous point, if the Barbed Devil works for Tiamat or for servants of Tiamat, the Abishai is likely to be of higher rank.

- If they work for different bosses, then it depends on the current ties between said bosses, how much both fiends know about said situation, and which orders they were given.

dreast
2020-11-21, 06:57 AM

I can easily see the resolution of this question, with the PCs viewed as pawns by both sides, to be the basis for an extremely fun low-to-mid level campaign, where the two opposing sides can never attack each other directly. A cold war, if you will (get it? Because white Abishai?).

In which case, the answer would be: the PC’s, when they finally slaughter both of their competing “patrons” and decide to gird up and go for their respective boss(es).

Now go out there and run it!