PDA

View Full Version : Is caustic brew completely useless?

ftafp
2020-11-20, 07:51 PM
Tashas caustic brew seems like a classic example of possibly viable spell rendered useless by concentration. The damage on it was never good, but as a 1st level ongoing damage AoE with one save that forces enemies to use their action early to end it, it had some potential. Of course, because the spell requires concentration, the enemies are given a relatively easy out by simply beating the snot out of you until you lose concentration.

however, I've been thinking, are there some common situations where it could work?

the obvious application is on an eldritch knight, which can use the spell to draw aggro and punish enemies if they don't react. Iron Wizard builds might be able to use it the same way, but there are probably better spells it can make use of.

Another class that might be able to use it is the artificer with the spellwrought tattoo infusion. If they give their iron defender, homunculus or familiar (the last one requires no action and can come free with the infusion) a tattoo containing fog cloud, it's possible they could cast caustic brew, have their pet cast fog cloud and then dive into the fog cloud to avoid being targeted.

JackPhoenix
2020-11-20, 07:57 PM
It's not completely useless. Problem with concentration is less that it can be broken and more that there are better things to concentrate on, though less so at 1st level. Even if the enemies focus on the caster, that's something a good group can use to their advantage while protecting the caster.

The big problem is that it's line-based Dex save, which means the targets after the 1st one get the benefits of cover.

stoutstien
2020-11-20, 08:00 PM
Unless I'm mistaken the wording of the tattoos prevent the steelndefender or homunculus from applying it because they can't speak.
Other than that it's actually not that bad of a spell for artificers. Not exactly a spell is full of damage options. The cover issue is a pain and the EAF only works on attack rolls but if they look big and slow why not. Once SSI is up and running TCB could be fun with tiny servant.

MrCharlie
2020-11-20, 08:03 PM
Tashas caustic brew seems like a classic example of possibly viable spell rendered useless by concentration. The damage on it was never good, but as a 1st level ongoing damage AoE with one save that forces enemies to use their action early to end it, it had some potential. Of course, because the spell requires concentration, the enemies are given a relatively easy out by simply beating the snot out of you until you lose concentration.

however, I've been thinking, are there some common situations where it could work?

the obvious application is on an eldritch knight, which can use the spell to draw aggro and punish enemies if they don't react. Iron Wizard builds might be able to use it the same way, but there are probably better spells it can make use of.

Another class that might be able to use it is the artificer with the spellwrought tattoo infusion. If they give their iron defender, homunculus or familiar (the last one requires no action and can come free with the infusion) a tattoo containing fog cloud, it's possible they could cast caustic brew, have their pet cast fog cloud and then dive into the fog cloud to avoid being targeted.
One where you are relatively safe or can make your concentration saves, and can affect more than one creature with the initial cast.

I don't actually see the hate for the spell being justified-it's more damage than something like flaming sphere (if upcast to the same level), in an area, without using an action, which eats enemies actions to negate or requires them to successfully attack you. Many other damage spells have similar constraints but aren't AOE and don't deal persistent damage.

The real limitation is that you have to use concentration to cast it and it has a limited range, so at higher levels you have something better to do. The fact that they can spend an action to negate it is generally a positive trade for an AOE effect if it hits, or could have hit, multiple targets. The fact that they can attempt to damage you to break concentration is also not crippling, particularly when it does damage at the start of their turns. But it's not competitive at high levels with other spells because an action can negate it, whereas other high level spells don't face this hurdle. But for it's level, and in fact throughout tier 1, it's a very strong spell.

ftafp
2020-11-20, 08:15 PM
The big problem is that it's line-based Dex save, which means the targets after the 1st one get the benefits of cover.

even if that's RAW I don't think most DMs would play it that way. it's not an obvious rule interaction and it's also not RAF

Thunderous Mojo
2020-11-20, 08:29 PM
The duration of Concentration is what makes the spell interesting.
Caustic Brew in the right circumstances would be decent to cover an escape, or get the Action Economy scale to lean towards the player.

The caster shoots and runs, the creatures that failed their save chase and spend their actions wiping off the acid.

Damage and Action denial isn't bad for a 1st level spell.

Chaosmancer
2020-11-22, 01:40 PM
There are some feel bad aspects to this spell though.

Enemy makes the save? Nothing happens.

An enemy that didn't get covered in acid (or made the save) takes their turn to hit you and break concentration? Nothing happens.

The math might work out, but as it currently stands I think I'd want some initial damage on the save, otherwise this is a very all or nothing type spell.

Necromas
2020-11-22, 02:00 PM
I think it's a great spell for a low level Bladesinger. Bladesong makes you hard to hit and even if you get hit it's harder to break your concentration.

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-22, 10:16 PM
My issue is there is almost always a better spell to concentrate on. I suppose it would be decent if one had a Clay Golem ally.

Bilbron
2020-11-22, 10:26 PM

Yes, it's 100% pathetic. It's a nerfed Acid Stream and I already rated Acid Stream second to last among 1st level blasts, as per my video on the topic: https://youtu.be/QG2xkfpLYTU

Thunderous Mojo
2020-11-22, 11:09 PM
My issue is there is almost always a better spell to concentrate on.

Well, that is almost always true, regardless of whichever spell you happen to be Concentrating on.

From my perspective, one, often, doesn't actually want to be Concentrating on the best spell possible.

I, often, want to use the most economical spell tool.
(Caustic Brew is a 1st level spell.)

In a castle environment, I can easily envision how opening a door to a corridor, blasting the occupants with a 30' line of Acid, (that burns until the acid is scraped off), and then closing the door, and running away, could benefit an adventuring group.

The spell also has some synergistic potential when being used against creatures with imposed limitations on their actions, such as being under the effects of a Slow or Web spell. A cleric companion can enhance the impact of the spell with a timely use of a Command spell, which allows for fellow adventurers to build off the spell.

The spell seems a solid Wizard or Artificer spell...something you prepare when needed....and you probably use it rarely, and eventually not at all.
(Which is fine for a 1st level spell)

MrCharlie
2020-11-23, 02:48 AM
My issue is there is almost always a better spell to concentrate on. I suppose it would be decent if one had a Clay Golem ally.
At tier one though?

There aren't actually that many useful sorcerer, warlock, or wizard concentration spells within the 1st level spells. In fact, the best are probably cause fear, tashas laughter, and protection from evil and good, which are all somewhat situational, albeit very good if those situations apply.

Of course, even using concentration to deal damage, which is generally mediocre, it's dwarfed by spells like dragon's breath and flaming sphere as soon as spell level 2, but even then you can technically deal more damage with caustic brew in super ideal conditions (enemy does not wipe off the acid or break concentration, multiple hit targets, future rounds involve attacking with other spells).

Thinking on it, dragon's breath is a generally superior spell in most situations starting at level 3, so it has a very niche range of levels where you can justify using concentration on it, but this is a trait held with virtually all 1st level damage spells.