PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Finally going to try and make a summoner (the ultimate pokemon master)

samuraijaques
2020-11-20, 08:18 PM
Hey guys, with the release of tasha's I feel like I actually have access to some solid options for a summoning build. Between the optional beastmaster companions, the wild companion druid ability and all the new summoning spells I feel like the build finally has a shot. My thoughts are at least 3 levels of beast master for the always active summon that has good stats and only uses your bonus action and then the rest druid with the shepherd archetype. Utilizing the wild companion ability you can have 2 companions active at any given time before you even start casting spells.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts are on how to make a good summoner with all these new goodies around.

Cheers!

MaxWilson
2020-11-20, 08:34 PM
Hey guys, with the release of tasha's I feel like I actually have access to some solid options for a summoning build. Between the optional beastmaster companions, the wild companion druid ability and all the new summoning spells I feel like the build finally has a shot. My thoughts are at least 3 levels of beast master for the always active summon that has good stats and only uses your bonus action and then the rest druid with the shepherd archetype. Utilizing the wild companion ability you can have 2 companions active at any given time before you even start casting spells.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts are on how to make a good summoner with all these new goodies around.

Cheers!

They're actually mostly worse than the old summons, except for the fact that they come online longer--but taking a 3-level ranger dip will mean you don't even get that. I'd recommend going the opposite direction and just playing a Shepherd Druid while asking your DM for access to Tasha's spells. Specifically, you want Summon Beast to use for levels 3-4 before Conjure Animals comes online. Even if you just stick to one big CR 2 creature like a Giant Constrictor Snake, it's still in most ways better than what you get from Tasha's.

Then later on, a level 4 Summon Elemental isn't terrible, but it's definitely much worse than a regular 5th level Conjure Elemental spell: similar damage, but only about 1/4 as much durability, and less utility (no Earth Glide on earth elemental, no AoE potential on Fire Elemental, etc.).

samuraijaques
2020-11-21, 08:52 PM
They're actually mostly worse than the old summons, except for the fact that they come online longer--but taking a 3-level ranger dip will mean you don't even get that. I'd recommend going the opposite direction and just playing a Shepherd Druid while asking your DM for access to Tasha's spells. Specifically, you want Summon Beast to use for levels 3-4 before Conjure Animals comes online. Even if you just stick to one big CR 2 creature like a Giant Constrictor Snake, it's still in most ways better than what you get from Tasha's.

Then later on, a level 4 Summon Elemental isn't terrible, but it's definitely much worse than a regular 5th level Conjure Elemental spell: similar damage, but only about 1/4 as much durability, and less utility (no Earth Glide on earth elemental, no AoE potential on Fire Elemental, etc.).

Damn, I was thinking they would help flesh out the spell list some more. What a bummer. Thanks for the input though.

ftafp
2020-11-21, 10:53 PM
They're actually mostly worse than the old summons

except for the fact that you can summon them in the middle of a battle.

and they don't go berserk if you lose concentration.

and you can choose what you're summoning

and they use your spell attack modifier instead of one made for fighting level 3 characters