PDA

View Full Version : Build Competition: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

Lavaeolus
2020-11-20, 08:35 PM
So, hope no offense is taken if I step in and post my own little competition, but with Tasha's Cauldron of Everything out, it seemed like a good time for one. A whole new set of rules, some new class features, whole bunch of subclasses.

So what can you do with them? What character concepts can you realise? Any fun mechanical interactions you want to take advantage of? Thus, here we are. If you're free and you want to, submit a build using some of Tasha's new rules or content. Voters will decide who gets the (entirely figurative) trophy.

----

How this'll work, exactly

For a week, the floor'll be open for you to post builds. These should detail your starting stats, race, levelling path, etc. -- with specific breakpoints to show how they'll handle at levels 5, 11, 17 and 20. Each build should, ideally, be a separate post, but you can submit as many builds as you want.

Once the deadline's up, no more builds will be accepted; it's time to start voting.

Build deadline: Sunday, 29 November 20:00 UTC

Voting will last another week. It's simple: make a post saying what build you think is the best, and declaring that you'll, indeed, be voting for it. You can change your mind at any point, up until the deadline arrives.

Vote deadline: Sunday, 6 December 20:00 UTC

----

Build-creation rules

All official, published content allowed. No UA, but there's no PHB+1 rule. If you want to make an Aasimar Swashbuckler, go ahead. Variant races, such as SCAG's half-elf and tiefling options, are allowed.

Use 27 Point Buy for stats. As fun as it would be to make you all roll stats until you got all 18s, I'd rather you didn't. By extension, using 27 Point Buy okays the Standard Array.

Multiclassing and feats available. Along with everything that goes with them, like multiclass stat and feat racial requirements.

Don't take for granted any magic items. If you can craft some up as Artificer or through some other class feature, then you can assume you'll have them, and you're otherwise welcome to mention convenient magic items that could help. But your build should be functional without assuming you'll be given them. You can assume normal starting equipment rules, and can assume you'll have upgraded your armour to something mundane but better (such as Plate) at level 11.

If a rules-interaction is in doubt, I'll make a call. I don't plan on ignoring people's opinions, so feel free to comment or (to some degree) challenge me, but this isn't really meant to be a rules-discussion thread.

Such are the basics. But with the release of Tasha's, we're going full-out with the following additional rules:

Origin customisation is allowed. Whether that be swapping out ability scores, proficiencies or languages. You can also select the Custom Lineage option.

Variant class features are in play. This includes new Fighting Styles and expanded class spell lists. If a class feature variant replaces a normal feature, you can pick which you get. For instance, you could create a Ranger with Deft Explorer (replacing Natural Explorer) and Favored Enemy (as norm).

Subclass shifts. As described in Tasha's, you may change subclass at certain levels. Just remember that there can be a steep gold cost involved: a build that switches at every opportunity might only work in a campaign with a hefty gold sum, and you're welcome to ding it on that basis. (Specifically: 100 gp times your level, although this doesn't apply if changing back to a subclass you used to know.)

----

Judgment criteria

Quite loose this time. The only hard rule is this: for this challenge, a build must make use of something new from Tasha's, whether that be a subclass, racial customisation, a variant feature, a new feat -- or whatever else. Reprinted subclasses don't count; I'll make an exception for Bladesinger due to the lifting of its racial requirement and touched-up features.

Other than that, I'd recommend you think three things about any build posted: how effective it is (and in what situations); how creative or original it is; and how fun it is (is it interesting to play? fun thematically?).

All very subjective things, and the exact balance you strike between them is up to you.

----

Submission requirements

There are no restrictions on who can vote. But if you submit a build, you must make a post voting on who you think should win once voting opens. This vote can't be for yourself. If you fail to do so, your build will be disqualified.

If enough builds are disqualified and enough votes are rendered moot, the vote deadline will be extended to give people a chance to switch to the final pool of builds. The exact length of this extension will depend on how many votes were 'lost', but in general, expect somewhere from between three days to a week. You're welcome to vote after this extension regardless of if you voted previously or if you submitted a build, but in the latter case your build will remain disqualified.

----

Suggested format

Build name
Intro. A general summary of the build and what it's trying to achieve. A bit of extra flavour's always fun.

----

Level 20 level split:

Race: Halfling (Int +2, Con +1)
Any other race details, if necessary.

Starting stats: Str x, Dex x, Con x, Int x, Wis x, Cha x

Background:

----

Level 1:

Commentary on how it plays.

Level 5:

Commentary, commentary, commentary.

Level 11:

Level 17:

Level 20:
More commentary, and your final thoughts.

Rakoa
2020-11-20, 09:27 PM
How much refluffing is permitted in the abilities of a class?

Lavaeolus
2020-11-20, 09:35 PM
How much refluffing is permitted in the abilities of a class?

So long as it's done in the understanding that your refluffing doesn't lead to any actual mechanical changes and cannot, itself, be considered a tactical advantage: refluff away. Go wild, if you want.

I have no problems if you want to say a certain weapon is something else, or your Monk is a boxer, etc. Anything far more drastic, like changing all the themes behind a subclass -- still fine. How fun the new fluff is, and how well it works with the mechanics, that's something voters can consider when voting if they like.