PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Psionic Kraken

Pleh
2020-11-21, 10:36 AM
Hello there.

Running my first Eberron campaign and the story has the PCs traveling by ship from Sharn to Q'Barra through the Thunder Sea and Kraken Bay.

Since I mention Psionics in the title, note that I am going with Psionics having Full Magic Transparency according to the "Psionics is Dream Magic" theory I've read about online.

The party will be low level, so I don't expect they'll directly encounter a Kraken for quite some time, but I really like the twist Eberron seems to put on Kraken, making them a kind of underworld kingpins in this corner of the world. I caught on the idea that they use Telepathy to influence nearby sea creatures to force them to do their bidding, and I see them described as Aberrant Magical Beasts by some accounts (the Eberron Wiki in particular here).

I think *for my campaign*, I would like to go full tilt into making these guys into Aberrant Psionic creatures. Shouldn't be too hard, as the difference between Aberration and Magical Beast types is mostly a matter of Less Muscle, More Brainy. But what I really wanted some help with was translating their spell like abilities to theme fitting psionic powers.

You see, my players have a party of 4 PCs, two of which have Psionic Powers (which I am running on a Star Wars style interpretation that Psionics can simply "feel" each other's presence at a certain range, as you can tell which minds react "knowingly" to being touched by another psionic mind). If I am running Kraken as Psionic Juggernaut Kingpins of the Deep, the players would likely be able to sense that broad field of influence over the wildlife.

But more particularly, one of the PCs is a runaway Empty Vessel from Riedra. The Dreaming Dark and the Inspired from Riedra are definitely hunting this person and they'll be reaching out to allies looking for leads.

In my mind, the Kraken would be like the Smaug to the Inspired's Sauron, or the Hutt Cartels to the Inspired's Galactic Empire. That is to say, they aren't strictly allies with the Inspired, but they have a functioning relationship based on mutually beneficial goals.

Upon entering Kraken territory, the PC is going to feel that "Eye of Sauron" moment where the Kraken in charge basically says, "I see you there. You'd fetch a pretty large favor from the Inspired if I hand you over to them." Thankfully, like the Eye Of Sauron in LotR, the Kraken will only have a general idea of where their ship is at any given time and the Kraken will just send waves of minions out to try and capture the party (or at least pinpoint their location).

While the basic statblock for the Kraken might fit such a Hutt/Smaug type psionic villain, I can't help but feel like it probably needs to have actual Telepathy, and not just Dominate Animal that is Telepathy Flavored.

So I'm looking for advice on converting the Kraken to a Psionic Aberration. Maybe someone else has already done this somewhere?

CozJa
2020-11-22, 03:05 AM
I like your idea! If I'm not mistaken, in SoX there's a half-Fiendish Kraken who roams the Thunder sea, you could try and take a look at it for some extra ideas!

However, on to your questions... I'd say that adding the Phrenic Template could be a good idea. It would add a lot of psionic abilities (included Psionic Dominate) and help in adding that "Kraken as an Aboleth" feel you seem to look for.
If you want it to be a full aberration, simply add the Pseudonatural template (not the epic one from the srd!) so that it can become an outsider and has a disgusting alternative form.
If you're looking for a more aberrant feel, You may even consider giving him a backstory tied to the ancient wars against the Daelkyr. Else, you may go even far away in time and have it being one of the last survivors of the Giant-Quori war!

Falontani
2020-11-22, 05:25 AM
Psionic Control Weather, Control Air power, Psionic Dominate, Energy Adaptation. Straight conversion to powers.

Size/Type: Gargantuan Magical Beast (Aquatic) (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 20d10+180 (290 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: Swim 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (-4 size, +14 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+44
Attack: Tentacle +28 melee (2d8+12/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +28 melee (2d8+12/19-20) and 6 arms +23 melee (1d6+6) and bite +23 melee (4d6+6)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft. (60 ft. with tentacle, 30 ft. with arm)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, constrict 2d8+12 or 1d6+6
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., ink cloud, jet, low-light vision, Psi-like abilities
Saves: Fort +21, Ref +12, Will +13
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 10, Con 29, Int 21, Wis 20, Cha 20
Skills: Concentration +21, Diplomacy +7, Hide +0, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (geography) +17, Knowledge (naturePsionics) +16, Listen +30, Search +28, Sense Motive +17, Spot +30, Survival +5 (+7 following tracks), Swim +20, Use Psionic Device +16
Feats: 7 feats more befitting of a Kraken
Environment: Temperate aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 21-32 HD (Gargantuan); 33-60 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

Six of the beast’s tentacles are shorter arms about 30 feet long; the remaining two are nearly 60 feet long and covered with barbs. Its beaklike mouth is located where the tentacles meet the lower portion of its body.

Krakens speak Common and Aquan.

Combat
Krakens strike their opponents with their barbed tentacles, then grab and crush with their arms or drag victims into their huge jaws. An opponent can make sunder attempts against a kraken’s tentacles or arms as if they were weapons. A kraken’s tentacles have 20 hit points, and its arms have 10 hit points. If a kraken is currently grappling a target with one tentacle or arm, it usually uses another limb to make its attack of opportunity against the sunder attempt. Severing a kraken’s tentacle or arm deals damage to the kraken equal to half the limb’s full normal hit points. A kraken usually withdraws from combat if it loses both tentacles or three of its arms. A kraken regrows severed limbs in 1d10+10 days.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, the kraken must hit with an arm or tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Constrict (Ex)
A kraken deals automatic arm or tentacle damage with a successful grapple check.

Jet (Ex)
A kraken can jet backward once per round as a full-round action, at a speed of 280 feet. It must move in a straight line, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity while jetting.

Ink Cloud (Ex)
A kraken can emit a cloud of jet-black ink in an 80-foot spread once per minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment, which the kraken normally uses to escape a fight that is going badly. Creatures within the cloud are considered to be in darkness.

Psi-Like Abilities
1/day—psionic control weather, control air, energy adaptation, Psionic Dominate (humanoid, animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid, DC 20). Caster level 9th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Skills
A kraken has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Throw on the Half Illithid template without replacing the bite or giving it extract and you get a pretty close change to what you want. You get telepathy, mind blast, power resistance, and a few more psilikes: Read Thoughts, psionic suggestion, psionic levitate, and Psionic Charm).
Although there is also the Quorbound template from Secrets of Sarlona if you want the Kraken to specifically have been warped over the years of proximity to Sarlona and Quori without direct interference.

ShurikVch
2020-11-22, 01:31 PM
Ideas:

For "Aberration": Corrupted by the Abyss template (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits) - say "Abyss" means "watery depths" there

For "Psionic": 3.0 Psionic Creature template - Mind Thrust, Ego Whip, Id Insinuation, Psychic Crush, Mind Blast, Empty Mind, Thought Shield, Mental Barrier, Intellect Fortress, Tower of Iron Will, any other 13 powers at will (with no pp cost) and PR 25; CR +4

For enormous range telepathy: Call of Cthulhu have Telepathy feat; contact with unfamiliar target within 1000 miles is DC 42 (Psychic Focus skill check)

Thurbane
2020-11-22, 04:18 PM
Maybe throw the Spellwarped and Phrenic templates on an advanced giant squid?