PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Wendigo (A warlock Subclass)

mcumoric
2020-11-21, 01:58 PM
The Wendigo
You have struck a deal with a powerful wendigo, a primal being of hunger and savagery. Your magic causes you to hunger and sometimes rip apart your enemies.

Expanded spell list
You add the following spells to your spell list.

Spell level - Expanded Spells
1st - False life, Hunters mark
2nd - Enhance ability (self only), Spike growth
3rd - Bestow curse, Haste (self only)
4th - Guardian of nature (XGE, Primal beast only), Ice storm
5th level - Steel wind strike (XGE), Cone of cold

Feral senses
Starting at the 1st level, you gain 60 feet of darkvision if you didn't already have darkvision. You also have proficiency in survival and perception skills. While unarmored, you may add your charisma modifier to your armor class.

Bloodthirsty transformation
Starting at the 1st level, you gain the ability to unleash a more feral form. You can use a bonus action to turn your hands into claws which you can use to swipe and slash at your foes. These claws are natural weapons that deal 1d8 + strength slashing. If you have both your hands free your claws when used together deal 1d10 + strength slashing damage on a hit.
When you reduce a humanoid to 0 hit points with your claws you gain temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier.

Icy heart
Starting at the 1st level, you gain resistance to cold damage. In addition, your maximum hit points increase by 1, and increase by an additional 1 for each level in this class.

Rush down
Starting at the 6th level, your movement speed increases by 10 feet.

Extra attack
Starting at the 6th level, you may attack twice, instead of once whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

Eldritch claws
Starting at the 6th level, your claws ignore resistance and immunity to non magical slashing damage.

Eldritch swipes
Starting at the 10th level, when you hit a creature with your claws, you may use a bonus action to ignite your claws with eldritch energy, dealing an additional 1d10 + your charisma modifier force damage.

Mindless hunger
Starting at the 10th level, you become immune to the charmed and frightened conditions.

Blind fury
Starting at the 14th level, on your turn you can unleash a blind fury for a number of rounds equal to your charisma modifier.
During this time;

-You can make an additional claw attack when you take the attack action on your turn.

-You gain temporary hit points equal to twice your level which are lost at the end of the blind fury.

-All damage you take is reduced by 3.

You regain the use of this feature when you complete a long rest.

faustin
2020-11-21, 04:20 PM
In my humble opinion, thatīs a lot of features. Pick and choose, and rewrite the rest as invocations.
Also, resistences are usually all reserved for levels 6-10, not 1

PhantomSoul
2020-11-22, 01:09 AM
Feral senses
Starting at the 1st level, you gain 60 feet of darkvision if you didn't already have darkvision. You also have proficiency in survival and perception skills. While unarmored, you may add your charisma modifier to your armor class.

This one jumped out -- that's a lot of stuff at first level (and there's more, with the Monk being quite jealous no doubt!).

60' darkvision: Sure
Two proficiencies: Far from insignificant... Maybe pick one or reframe them for flavour (e.g. keen senses instead of perception, or some sort of tracking feature instead of survival).
CHA to AC: This is big, and it stacks with anything (unarmored). To help it be a bit less massive, I'd make it an AC calculation rather than a flat bonus or fold it into the next feature (so it's only when you're beasting out) if you're keeping CHA to AC.

I see where you're going thematically, but it's a lot of features in the class.

Already at level one, between the three features, that's a lot of potency. I'd spread it out for things being kept (and/or, as faustin suggested, using invocations as a spot for some of the ideas).

I'm also a bit surprised at this being a Warlock instead of a Sorcerer or a Druid, though I suppose it fits that the Wendigo is able to give Wendigo abilities plus spellcasting (and warlockhood in general) in the setting.