PDA

View Full Version : Spells that interact with Planar Binding

blackwindbears
2020-11-21, 06:37 PM
Are there any spells which explicitly interact with planar binding? For example, any spells that might prevent an outsider from being bound in the first place, cancel the effects of a binding diagram, or that dispel an ongoing binding? I seem to remember some class having the ability to steal a summoned creature, anything similar for bound creatures?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-11-21, 06:42 PM
Are there any spells which explicitly interact with planar binding? For example, any spells that might prevent an outsider from being bound in the first place, cancel the effects of a binding diagram, or that dispel an ongoing binding? I seem to remember some class having the ability to steal a summoned creature, anything similar for bound creatures?Does it have to be explicit? Because there aren't many of those. There are, however, a lot of them that interact implicitly, albeit obliquely in some cases. For instance massively boosting your Diplomacy checks using Cha- and skill-boosters to convince the bound being to do what you want, after deliberately failing its Cha check against you. Or tormenting it until it gives in using [pain] spells. Or debuffing the crud out of it so it auto-fails its Cha check, even on a Nat 20.

blackwindbears
2020-11-21, 06:47 PM
Does it have to be explicit? Because there aren't many of those. There are, however, a lot of them that interact implicitly, albeit obliquely in some cases. For instance massively boosting your Diplomacy checks using Cha- and skill-boosters to convince the bound being to do what you want, after deliberately failing its Cha check against you. Or tormenting it until it gives in using [pain] spells. Or debuffing the crud out of it so it auto-fails its Cha check, even on a Nat 20.

Yup looking for explicit examples.

Doctor Despair
2020-11-21, 06:47 PM
Are there any spells which explicitly interact with planar binding? For example, any spells that might prevent an outsider from being bound in the first place, cancel the effects of a binding diagram, or that dispel an ongoing binding? I seem to remember some class having the ability to steal a summoned creature, anything similar for bound creatures?

Anything that changes the outsider's type from being an outsider could prevent them from being summoned

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-11-21, 06:48 PM
Yup looking for explicit examples.Far as I know, it's only magic circle against , and that's it.

[edit] Well, maybe not.

Extract Gift
Leomund's Trap
Magic Circle Against [Alignment]
Mask of the Ideal
Spirit Binding, Lesser
Truename Binding, Greater
Truename Binding, Lesser

Those have [I]"planar binding" in the descriptions.

Asmotherion
2020-11-21, 07:23 PM
Anything that changes the outsider's type from being an outsider could prevent them from being summoned

Not sure about that. How would you target the outsider in the first place, if it was not already Called. What would apply though is it would no longer be bound by effects that specifically target outsiders aka Magic Circle, and thus free to act as soon as Called.

Oblivionsmurf
2020-11-21, 07:48 PM

You are thinking of the Incantatrix's Snatch Spell ability:

At 8th level, an incantatrix can attempt to seize control over a persistent effect created by another spellcaster. The effect must be one that does not depend on concentration but still relies on or responds to the caster’s control (such as a summon monster spell or spiritual weapon, but not a wall of fire or acid fog). Furthermore, the effect (but not necessarily the spellcaster) must be within 30 feet of the incantatrix. The target spellcaster and the incantatrix make an opposed caster level check. A divine spellcaster receives a +2 bonus on this check. If the incantatrix wins, she gains control of the spell until its original duration expires. The spell functions as though the incantatrix had cast it, except that any variables determined when the spell was cast (including its caster level) remain as determined by the caster. The original caster can be affected by his own spell, though he receives a +2 circumstance bonus on any saving throw allowed against it. If the spell is dismissible and the incantatrix wishes to dismiss it, she must make a second successful opposed caster level check to do so. If she fails, the spell remains in effect and control reverts to the original caster.

The ability doesn't work with planar binding generally, but you could make the argument that it works with certain instances of planar binding (for example, where a bound creature has just been commanded to follow the caster's directions for one day per caster level).

Otherwise, have a look at Exaction (Dragon 336, pages 80-81). That spell allows you to make a sacrifice to a creature caught within a planar binding spell in order to gain its willing service (i.e. with no risk of subverting your instructions or seeking revenge later). The spell expressly works on creatures caught in planar binding spells cast by other persons. Dragon 336 generally is a treasure trove of valuable material for planar binders.

Unbinding (Spell Compendium, pages 225-226) cancels a Magic Circle spell used to imprison a bound creature, but doesn't appear to work on a creature that is already bound.

If your goal is to protect a particular creature from being bound, query whether that creature could arrange to have Dimensional Anchor cast on itself before any binding spell takes effect, and whether that would prevent Planar Binding from operating.

Feldar
2020-11-22, 01:19 AM
I'm not aware of any.

However, I should point out that characters aren't the only ones capable of spell research. A little surprise, now and then, is a good thing...

Darg
2020-11-22, 01:36 AM
Just mentioning dismissal and banishment and other spells that expel extraplanar creatures for completeness sake.

newguydude1
2020-11-22, 05:01 AM
extract demonic essence names planar binding by name. but doesnt do anything you want it to do.