PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger changes Tasha

Brenoli
2020-11-22, 08:55 AM
Well, goto say i love the change to extra attack at level 6. This makes level 6 very nice instead of mostly being pointless.

However, is it just me or is Bladesong nerfed?
I mean, for us it's common to have 1 or 2 short rests a day, meaning 4 to 6 uses a day. Plus, through a short rest the option to gain charged if so required for an upcoming fight. 6 charges is already the maximum you can now have and only comes online until level 17, whereas it was basically available at level 2....

Thoughts?

Ir0ns0ul
2020-11-22, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I think it’s a common perception they severely nerfed Bladesong with this new proficiency-based approach in abilities usage.

HappyDaze
2020-11-22, 10:49 AM
Thoughts?

I'm not fond of Tasha's Crock of Excrement (TCoE) switching so many things to proficiency bonus/long rest recharge. It doesn't fit the mold of what has come before and looks like an ugly patch.

MadBear
2020-11-22, 11:56 AM
Personally, I love the change. It makes dipping much less enticing, and instead rewards going all in on the class. Now instead of bladesong being an "I'll use this every battle YOLO", it's actually a choice you'll make. It's not like you're useless without it either.

The level 6 change again rewards staying within a class rather then just dipping, so I'd call it a win.

Edit: Striked out the incorrect point. The overall point of it being an ability that grows in usefulness over time as opposed to an always on option makes is a fine change.

HappyDaze
2020-11-22, 12:36 PM
Personally, I love the change. It makes dipping much less enticing, and instead rewards going all in on the class. Now instead of bladesong being an "I'll use this every battle YOLO", it's actually a choice you'll make. It's not like you're useless without it either.

The level 6 change again cements and rewards staying within a class rather then just dipping, so I'd call it a win.
How exactly does it do any of this? Proficiency Bonus continues to rise whether you multiclass or stay single class.

MadBear
2020-11-22, 02:32 PM
How exactly does it do any of this? Proficiency Bonus continues to rise whether you multiclass or stay single class.

you're right, for some reason I was thinking proficiency was tied to the class, which it's not. Been playing too many other RPG's recently, and mixed that up.

Razgriez
2020-11-22, 03:22 PM
I would like to point out also that Bladesinging last a full minute (10 rounds of combat). Certainly at lower level, you're going to want to be more careful in usage. But you still have a Full Spell-caster class behind that as well. Save it for the encounters where you need it, and you should be fine in a typical adventuring day. Anything more, and you're likely in a large scale battle, in a long "dungeon" with multiple "boss fights", or you need to reconsider what fights you're going all out on/how well the DM is balancing the encounters-per-day

Amdy_vill
2020-11-22, 04:22 PM
I'm not fond of Tasha's Crock of Excrement (TCoE) switching so many things to proficiency bonus/long rest recharge. It doesn't fit the mold of what has come before and looks like an ugly patch.

I disagree. dnd 5e has been laser-focused on removing as many equations from abilities as possible. because of this they just defaulted to using stats for uses. but I think this is kinda bad, in a system in which equations for uses or stats emphasis was more common/ important to design I would prefer the stat-based system. but 5e is trying to avoid that and I think the proficiency bonus fixes that. it also gives a buff to some multiclass options.

I do agree kinda that the long rest emphasis is bad. I understand why they are doing it, people are constantly dising short rest because of the existing problems, so they are just removing support for short rest as much as they can. It's kinda understandable but they should just put in the effort to fix short rests.

PhantomSoul
2020-11-22, 04:35 PM
I do agree kinda that the long rest emphasis is bad. I understand why they are doing it, people are constantly dising short rest because of the existing problems, so they are just removing support for short rest as much as they can. It's kinda understandable but they should just put in the effort to fix short rests.

Agreed, especially because them removing short-rest abilities further contributes to the problem with short rests!

HappyDaze
2020-11-22, 05:02 PM
but 5e is trying to avoid that

Since when? Really, 5e has only been trying to avoid that since Tasha's Crock of Excrement. Prior to that, many abilities had uses based on an Ability Score bonus or just a fixed (or level-scaling, but not PB-based) amount. If they want to go with the PB and all long rest linked, that's fine, but go back and adjust the existing parts to match. Otherwise it's like painting part of your house then doing some redesign and discovering you can't get the original color of paint--the smart move would be to repaint the whole house, not to have patches of mismatched paint...which is how class mechanics feel to me after TCoE.

cutlery
2020-11-22, 06:37 PM
Think of it as a trade for the new extra attack. It’s a fair one.