PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing The cursed katana of ultimate power (with cherry trees on the background)

ironkid
2020-11-22, 06:21 PM
As per Tasha's, elven monks at certain level can use words (long and short) as monk weapons. Hence, katanas too, as I'm gonna treat them as skinned longswords.

I intend to offer a player of mine (elven monk) one such katana, it's gonna be on the sale bin of a magic item shop I placed in Baldur's Gate.

The Katana is simply a +1 longsword that requires attunement, and it's cursed. The user can use detect evil and good once per long rest, but has disadvantage in death saving throws if a fiend isnt at 60 feet OR if the katana isnt at 30, and when the used dies is damned to the lower planes, no matter their alignment, and any attempt at resurrection has 50% failure, and fails entirely unless the kanata is with 10 feet of the resurreted-to-be.

The curse CAN be lifted. The katana has seven seals, and as the character breaks them, the sword becomes stronger and the curse milder (the chances of resurrection increase, for instance), until the seventh seal breaks, in which case the katana becomes a legendary sword with no curse whatsoever.

What I'm stuck with is... how to break the seals :elan: The seventh, most epic one should be something truly grand, like permanently slaying Yeenoguh or a fiend of such power, or redeem a fiend into becoming an angel.

But the others? Obviously fiend slaying should be involved, but I don't want it to be too difficult or too easy.

Comments?