PDA

View Full Version : Glory paladin or zealot barbarian?

Rfkannen
2020-11-22, 06:24 PM
Zealot barbarian and glory paladin are pretty similar characters when you think about it. Both are divinly inspired meathead heroic types with advantage on athletics checks, an ability to grant divine power to their attacks, a movement speed bonus. I can picture both fitting some of the same characters.

if you were to pick one on a character that could fit both, which would you pick? What do you think of the subclasses?

nickl_2000
2020-11-22, 07:40 PM
I'm currently playing a Glory Paladin and adore it. I started at level 1 and made it to 6 last session. The two channel divinity options are nerfed from UA (but most things tend to be), but it is rare that I don't get to use them. Not only that, but those Temp HP have been extremely handy for allies who tend to get beaten up and knocked out of combat (*cough, open hand monk, cough*).

I like the feel of the oaths and the fluff behind it, it really fits into the hero of the people trope.

I find the level 7 aura to be a little disappointing though since it's such a small area compared to the other auras. However, I'm still looking forward to the bonus in movement since getting Kylan out in front of the many squishies in the party will be so valuable. He is suffering from lack of range options, but that is a problem for all Paladins and Barbarians. Were my party not so dependent on him tanking, I would switch out the defensive fighting style for Cleric Cantrips, but they are and that extra 1 AC saved me about 6 hits in the last game.

stoutstien
2020-11-22, 08:08 PM
Overall I fine paladin just more enjoyable to play. Glory looks like it could be a lot of fun and has a whole list of features any party will enjoy. Nothing wrong with the zealot but it is something I look at as a secondary PC for players to run in small parties or a Tag-a-long NPC.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-23, 11:53 AM
if you were to pick one on a character that could fit both, which would you pick? What do you think of the subclasses?Tough call. Probably Glory Paladin. I do a lot of social role playing anyway, so it's a bit easier to do, and to apply a bit of "verisimilitude to the narrative" when having a higher Charisma PC.

That said - Zealot is a decent kit.

GlenSmash!
2020-11-23, 04:35 PM
The Paladin is a lot more versatile. Able to buff and support the party, heal, can be a great party face due to high charisma, etc.

That said, the Zealot is a lot of fun. There's a lot less pressure to do the "right" thing in any scenario since you'll just be expected to dish out and take damage.

Which one I would pick really depends on the party make up.

bendking
2020-11-23, 04:49 PM
It depends on the playstyle you like, of course. Paladin and Barbarians are different classes, after all. They are both are bad at ranged combat, though.
If you want just want to smash heads, Zealot is your best bet. If you want to think a little more, you should go for Glory instead. They are both good enough subclasses, though you could find a better Oath than Glory if we're being honest.