PDA

View Full Version : Ways to gain Illusion spells?

Tyger
2020-11-22, 10:04 PM
Playing a variant human Trickery Domain cleric (just hit level 6), and I am trying to find a way (or better, ways) to get access to illusion magic. I took the Magic Initiate feat at level 1, so have the Minor Illusion cantrip. My fourth level ASI went to the Lucky feat (he worships a goddess of chance!). Without multiclassing (though that is an option, I would just prefer not to) or homebrewing, is there any way to access Still Image, Major Image or something similar? Feat I am missing, or magic item, etc?

Bilbron
2020-11-22, 10:19 PM
Playing a variant human Trickery Domain cleric (just hit level 6), and I am trying to find a way (or better, ways) to get access to illusion magic. I took the Magic Initiate feat at level 1, so have the Minor Illusion cantrip. My fourth level ASI went to the Lucky feat (he worships a goddess of chance!). Without multiclassing (though that is an option, I would just prefer not to) or homebrewing, is there any way to access Still Image, Major Image or something similar? Feat I am missing, or magic item, etc?
Off the top of my head, Ring of Spell Storing or Svirfneblin Spell Gems. Also scrolls seem to be available RAI to Magic Intiates as per the following exchange:

@JeremyECrawford "Can a Magic Initiate "Wizard" use Wizard spells scrolls and copy them in a spellbook of sorts without being a Wizard?"

JC - "You don't use a spellbook unless you have a feature that says you do."

JC only corrects the latter part of the question, so by implication the first part of the question is permissible. But, of course, talk to your DM.

But all that aside, you should just seriously take a 1 level wizard dip, to also get better attack cantrips, Shield/Absorb Elements, Silent Image, access to wizard items like scrolls or Staff of Illusions, and, most importantly, A FAMILIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: here is my youtube video about how frickin' powerful familiars can be when leveraged optimally: https://youtu.be/gwqPPsAQIIQ

x3n0n
2020-11-22, 10:36 PM

New in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is a feat called Eldritch Adept, which lets a spellcaster take a Warlock Invocation; given that, you could take Misty Visions for at-will silent image.

You could also take the new Shadow Touched feat, which gives you one free daily casting of invisibility plus the first-level necromancy or illusion spell of your choice, and you can also use your your spell slots to cast either.

Vorpalchicken
2020-11-22, 10:38 PM
Eldritch Adept from Tasha's can get you Misty Visions, which allows you to cast Silent Image at will.
A Deck of Illusions or a Hat of Disguise might be nice to have.
Shadow Touched could get you Invisibility and another 1st level Illusion but you are probably running out of good choices at this point. Color Spray? Distort Value? Illusionary Script?

Too Slow for the Shadow Monk

Bilbron
2020-11-22, 10:39 PM
New in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is a feat called Eldritch Adept, which lets a spellcaster take a Warlock Invocation; given that, you could take Misty Visions for at-will silent image.

You could also take the new Shadow Touched feat, which gives you one free daily casting of invisibility plus the first-level necromancy or illusion spell of your choice, and you can also use your your spell slots to cast either.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, honestly sounds perfect for this particular character if he's not into a wizard dip.

Greywander
2020-11-22, 11:43 PM
Dipping two levels into warlock could get you both Misty Visions (at-will Silent Image) and Mask of Many Faces (at-will Disguise Self). With Eldritch Adept, you can avoid the dip, but can only pick up one of these. You could grab the Shadow Touched feat to pick up the other one (sadly not at-will, but you do get one free casting), which, unlike Magic Initiate, you can cast using your own spell slots (I still sometimes find myself wondering why we decided MI works this way, but I digress). For Major Image, I think you're out of luck unless you dip 5 levels into one of the classes that get it. You could talk to your DM and see if you can swap out some of your domain spells for the illusion spells you want.

JackPhoenix
2020-11-23, 07:41 AM
Mark of Shadow elf gets you Disguise Self, Silent Image, Darkness, Pass without Trace, Clairvoyance, Major Image, Greater Invisibility, Hallucinatory Terrain and Mislead.

Requires a specific setting and race, though.

Tyger
2020-11-26, 12:33 AM

These are perfect, thanks! The Shadow Touched feat works wonderfully with the concept as well - the character's Divinity is called "The Lady of Shadows".

But all that aside, you should just seriously take a 1 level wizard dip, to also get better attack cantrips, Shield/Absorb Elements, Silent Image, access to wizard items like scrolls or Staff of Illusions, and, most importantly, A FAMILIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: here is my youtube video about how frickin' powerful familiars can be when leveraged optimally: https://youtu.be/gwqPPsAQIIQ

Find Familiar was the primary reason that I took the Magic Initiate feat - I loves me my familiars! And enjoyed your video as well. Thanks!