PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Monk of Mercy: Am I reading this right!?!

sithlordnergal
2020-11-22, 11:33 PM
So, I just looked at the Monk of Mercy's 17th level ability, and I can't help but wonder if I'm reading it wrong. It says that if you use an action you can spend some ki to raise a creature from the dead. However, it does not seem to require the creature's soul to be willing or free, like almost every other spell that raises the dead. Does that mean the Monk of Mercy could raise you from the dead, even if you were unwilling to return?

Most other spells that raise the dead have wording like "If the creature's soul is free and willing, the creature is restored to life" or "The creature's soul must be free and willing". The only spell that doesn't contain such language is Revivify. Since the Monk of Mercy doesn't have that requirement, does that mean they can technically raise an unwilling person.

Also, one more oddity: The ability doesn't state if it restores body parts or not. Again, every other spell that raises the dead says if it does or does not restore body parts...a bit of a small oversight, but kind of funny.

loki_ragnarock
2020-11-23, 12:55 AM
I guess when you're literally punching someone's soul into their chest...

CheddarChampion
2020-11-23, 01:51 AM
Seems like it. But the DM still has the power to say "No. The soul is trapped so you can't recall them to life."

In the same way, extra attack doesn't work while under the effects of Slow and Wildshape doesn't work in an Antimagic Field. The first one is codified into the rules but my point stands: certain effects might block certain class features.

carrdrivesyou
2020-11-23, 09:38 AM
I mean, ya can already give a mate a stiff backhander to heal them...Not a far stretch to slap some sense into a soul.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-23, 10:01 AM
So, I just looked at the Monk of Mercy's 17th level ability, and I can't help but wonder if I'm reading it wrong. It says that if you use an action you can spend some ki to raise a creature from the dead.
As with most other Tasha bits, half baked, but I like to think of it this way.

The Monk of Mercy is a lot like a 1980's Televangelist who has people come up to the stage, slap them on the head and cry "Out, Demons!" The Monk does a variation of this theme: he runs up to the people, slaps them on the head, and crise out "In, soul!" (His uncle was a cobbler, why do you ask?)

I wanted to make a Monk of Mecy 11/Peace Cleric 9 who runs around naked, wearing nothing but a mask, and alternately heals NPCs or beats them up.

But maybe I instead need to get a Monk of Mercy 17/Moon Druid 3 who runs around slapping people "Hey, wake up, you aren't dead yet!" - he also moonlights as an emotional support animal.

So many brilliant ideas. So little time.

micahaphone
2020-11-23, 10:09 AM
Revivify also doesn't ask a soul for consent either, but that one's on a tight time limit

stoutstien
2020-11-23, 10:14 AM
Eh, we are talking about Tier 4 and even then it's pretty narrow for the capstone.i say let them have it.

Thunderous Mojo
2020-11-23, 10:43 AM
Revivify also doesn't ask a soul for consent either, but that one's on a tight time limit

If you use a Spell Slot to cast Gentle Repose, you can use Revivify for up to 10 days on the body.

It would not be a stretch to presume, that Gentle Repose might similarity abate the "24 hours since time of death" restrictions on the Hand of Ultimate Mercy ability.

A Way of Mercy monk working with an Intelligence Gathering Organization, would be a potent barrier to someone taking some information "to their grave".

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-23, 11:18 AM
Eh, we are talking about Tier 4 and even then it's pretty narrow for the capstone.i say let them have it. True enough, and I guess the cobbler joke didn't quite land. :smallfrown:

Sigreid
2020-11-23, 12:07 PM
I think it's pretty thematic with the idea that they bring mercy.

MaxWilson
2020-11-23, 12:12 PM
True enough, and I guess the cobbler joke didn't quite land. :smallfrown:

Oh, it landed. I groaned exactly as you intended.

micahaphone
2020-11-23, 12:45 PM
the cobbler pun gave me enough energy to get out of bed this morning. Truly awful. Thank you for sharing that gem.

Imbalance
2020-11-23, 12:57 PM
Use this to mercifully kill and revive your enemy daily?

True enough, and I guess the cobbler joke didn't quite land. :smallfrown:

It's a peach of a pun.

micahaphone
2020-11-23, 01:41 PM
All monk team: open hand keeps making your heart explode, mercy keeps putting it back together. It's the world's most extreme massage.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-23, 01:42 PM
Thank you all for accepting the pun as is.

You're a great audience; make sure to try the house special - this week it's the tunafish omelette - and don't forget to tip your waitress.

sithlordnergal
2020-11-23, 06:11 PM
...That was a very groan worthy pun...But I'm glad I'm reading it right. I kinda like the idea of someone dying, then the monk just slapping them hard enough in the face to wake them up. Bonus points if you're a Tabaxi, Lizardfolk, or some other race with natural weapons XD

Lunali
2020-11-23, 07:11 PM
Most other spells that raise the dead have wording like "If the creature's soul is free and willing, the creature is restored to life" or "The creature's soul must be free and willing". The only spell that doesn't contain such language is Revivify. Since the Monk of Mercy doesn't have that requirement, does that mean they can technically raise an unwilling person.

It's not that surprising that an ability with the same restrictions as Revivify would have the same potential.

sithlordnergal
2020-11-23, 07:19 PM
It's not that surprising that an ability with the same restrictions as Revivify would have the same potential.

Actually, its a bit better than Revivify. Revivify can only be used within 1 minute of death, the Monk has 24 hours.

Lord Vukodlak
2020-11-23, 10:10 PM
If you use a Spell Slot to cast Gentle Repose, you can use Revivify for up to 10 days on the body.

It would not be a stretch to presume, that Gentle Repose might similarity abate the "24 hours since time of death" restrictions on the Hand of Ultimate Mercy ability.

A Way of Mercy monk working with an Intelligence Gathering Organization, would be a potent barrier to someone taking some information "to their grave".
Actually saying gentle repose extends revivify is a stretch. Revivify says it has to be used within one minute of death. Gentle repose says days don’t count towards the limit.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-11-23, 10:54 PM
Actually saying gentle repose extends revivify is a stretch. Revivify says it has to be used within one minute of death. Gentle repose says days don’t count towards the limit.

It first says "extends the time limit of raising the target from the dead" I assume "days spent under the influence of this spell don't count against the time limit of spells such as raise dead." is an explanation of why.

It could have said "time" spent under the influence of the spell, but "days" isn't inaccurate considering Gentle Repose's max duration.

The real argument is whether or not Revivify would be "a spell such as Raise Dead" in regards to returning a creature to life within a certain time limit. I'd find it difficult to argue that it doesn't fall in the same category.