PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ways of gaining monk style bonus to AC based on INT in 1 level

Epic Legand
2020-11-23, 12:29 AM
Clearly, one could just use WIZ, or CHR, I am hoping someone noticed a 1st party path to this. I understand SOP has an option, as does POW, sadly getting these choices approved at many tables seams impossible. I know about Kensai or dualist...both of which require many levels investment, Psyic has an option, wisdom based, as does Warpriest. 3.5 had Kung Fu genius (and 3 other similar choices), but thats 3.5. So I'm turning to you guys, maybe you know of something I missed?

rel
2020-11-23, 12:39 AM
monk 1 + Carmendine Monk / kung fu genius or Iaijutsu Master 1

Epic Legand
2020-11-23, 12:51 AM
Those are all 3.5 answers...In a Pathfinder game that does not allow 3.5, its not an option...which is why I was asking for 1st party pathfinder choices. Thank you for responding

aglondier
2020-11-23, 02:05 AM
Either 1) Give your GM food poisoning just before the next game, offer to take the helm for the session, approve the mod to your character yourself, show GM the document he signed while delerious that confirms he will approve any changed made while he was sick.

Or 2) Write, and publish your own pathfinder material, turn up to game with authors copy of outlandish but legitimately published pathfinder material that he must accept due to his own ruling...

Or 3) whinge at him until he capitulates...

Firebug
2020-11-23, 02:20 AM
Not monk style (actually the opposite) or a single level, but Student of War (https://aonprd.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Student%20of% 20War)'s level 2 ability Mind over Metal allows you to use your intelligence bonus instead of your dexterity bonus as long as you are wearing an armor or shield. It isn't capped by level, but by max-dex on armor.

There are a few ways to swap the ability score on certain class abilities, but none of the AC ones are coming to mind with Int on the swap.

upho
2020-11-23, 02:24 AM
There are no such 1PP options AFAIK.

Or 2) Write, and publish your own pathfinder material, turn up to game with authors copy of outlandish but legitimately published pathfinder material that he must accept due to his own ruling...Since it appears the OP's game only accepts 1PP options, he'd also have to become a writer for a 1e Pathfinder book which Paizo decides to publish despite having declared they won't publish any new material for 1e. So he'd probably also need to - at the very least - become the new CEO of Paizo first, which seems like a pretty tall order...

Epic Legand
2020-11-23, 03:18 AM
Sadly, this is not for a game I am in, its been a stop on the last FOUR games where I seek INT to AC, and they say NO, no, No, nO in a variety of ways both polite and not. They then proceed to provide examples of how easy it is as long as I decide to swap to WIS or CHR. The range of options gets slightly better once you hit 3ed party...but acceptance of that at most tables is limited. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Firebug, my goal is UNARMORED, though this is not the only example of swapping DEX...I have no desire to eliminate DEX, I am hoping to add INT on top of DEX :)

Psyren
2020-11-23, 04:12 AM
If you're only allowed to use first-party then you're stuck.

However, we could approach this a different way - why do you need to key your abilities off Int specifically? There's a number of Int things we can point at your Wis or Cha instead, if you want to be a monk..

Another approach - we could get you something that isn't a monk, but is Int-based and good at punching things anyway, e.g. an unarmed Investigator or Esoteric Magus.

Epic Legand
2020-11-23, 04:37 AM
"I seek INT to AC, and they say NO, no, No, nO in a variety of ways both polite and not. They then proceed to provide examples of how easy it is as long as I decide to swap to WIS or CHR".... Its almost like someone has suggested this to me before and for some reason, I STILL do not want to add CHR or WIS as my primary mental stat. Its like that was the POINT of my post. Sorry for the snark...but come on.

Also Esoteric Magus does not offer INT to AC, the topic of the post(not punching), and yes I am familiar with Kensai, and its multi level dependent way of offering a poor Magus. The goal remains 1st party INT to AC, in a 1 level dip, the same as is offered to the other two mental stats.

However, I cannot seam to find unarmed Investigator, is it 3ed party? Or maybe a discontinued option?

Again, thank you for talking the time to respond

Elysiume
2020-12-03, 01:22 AM
People said what you asked for didn't exist and offered you alternatives. Should they apologize for going above and beyond?

Psyren
2020-12-04, 01:22 PM
Also Esoteric Magus does not offer INT to AC, the topic of the post(not punching), and yes I am familiar with Kensai, and its multi level dependent way of offering a poor Magus. The goal remains 1st party INT to AC, in a 1 level dip, the same as is offered to the other two mental stats.

A "poor magus" as you put it, is still quite a viable combatant - especially when compared to a monk that doesn't exist :smalltongue:

If the Int to AC is more important to you than the punching, Kensai would be the better route for your concept than Esoteric, but I would see if your GM is okay with combining them - diminished spellcasting is a huge drawback as it is, and both have additional tradeoffs beyond that. Either way, you can use any simple weapon with Kensai including unarmed strike or a gauntlet.

However, I cannot seam to find unarmed Investigator, is it 3ed party? Or maybe a discontinued option?

Unarmed Strike is a simple weapon, you don't need a special investigator to build for it. I don't think there are any Investigator archetypes that add Int to AC but I could be wrong on that, it's been a while since I've dug through them all.

Rynjin
2020-12-04, 08:49 PM
Calling the Kensei a "poor Magus" is really...strange, to me. It gets a lot of neat features for someone who wants to be a Monk-alike. Not to mention that even a "poor Magus" is going to be generally stronger than a Monk.

Just make a Kensai with a Knuckle Axe or something and call it a day. You can even be a Bladebound as well.