PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Fey'ri CR

Biggus
2020-11-23, 02:53 PM
The Feyri (Races of Faerun p.118/ Monsters of Faerun p.72) are creatures with only one racial HD but CR2. When creatures with one racial HD gain class levels, you replace the racial HD with a class level, so a Fey'ri Sorcerer 1 for example would still be a 1HD creature. What I want to know is: what would the CR for a Fey'ri Sorcerer 1 be, 2 or 3?

Thurbane
2020-11-23, 03:29 PM
The Feyri (Races of Faerun p.118/ Monsters of Faerun p.72) are creatures with only one racial HD but CR2. When creatures with one racial HD gain class levels, you replace the racial HD with a class level, so a Fey'ri Sorcerer 1 for example would still be a 1HD creature. What I want to know is: what would the CR for a Fey'ri Sorcerer 1 be, 2 or 3?

It's not spelled out, but I would assume, similar to how Drow works, their CR would be PC class levels +2, or something like that. A PC class level generally increases the power of a creature over a lone RHD.

DarkSoul
2020-11-23, 03:45 PM
I'd put them at +1 CR, and that's only up to about level 5. Beyond that I wouldn't increase it. I've got a campaign full of them at the moment.

Biggus
2020-11-23, 04:11 PM
It's not spelled out, but I would assume, similar to how Drow works, their CR would be PC class levels +2, or something like that. A PC class level generally increases the power of a creature over a lone RHD.

I'd put them at +1 CR, and that's only up to about level 5. Beyond that I wouldn't increase it. I've got a campaign full of them at the moment.

These two answers illustrate why I asked perfectly: my feeling is that RAW is probably that CR should be class levels +2, but when I built some of them, they seem too weak for that.

Thurbane
2020-11-23, 04:25 PM
Been looking for Fey'ri NPC stat blocks, to see what CR WotC assigned. Found a couple (the others don't list individual CRs), but this one seems relevant:

Vesryn Aelorothi: Male fey’ri Sor10; CR 12 (Lords of Darkness p.128).

Biggus
2020-11-23, 04:48 PM
Been looking for Fey'ri NPC stat blocks, to see what CR WotC assigned. Found a couple (the others don't list individual CRs), but this one seems relevant:

Vesryn Aelorothi: Male fey’ri Sor10; CR 12 (Lords of Darkness p.128).

Ah thank you, I didn't know they'd statted any out.

DarkSoul
2020-11-23, 04:53 PM
These two answers illustrate why I asked perfectly: my feeling is that RAW is probably that CR should be class levels +2, but when I built some of them, they seem too weak for that. They are. The hit to Con really hurts and the SLA's don't scale well enough to justify keeping a +2 CR. The only thing they've really got going for them is slow flight and alternate form. In a game where you're rooting them out of a population they MIGHT be +2 CR, but I still don't think so.