PDA

View Full Version : Characters that fit the main styles of boxing?

Rfkannen
2020-11-23, 08:05 PM
I've been reading a lot of boxing manga lately, and one of the best things about those mangas are seeing the diffrent types of boxing styles go against each other.

It got me thinking, how would you make characters that fit these types of fighting in 5e? Can you build characters that fight like these styles in 5e? (Not interested in them punching people, more just the general style of fighting)

The styles according to wikipedia:

Swarmer

The swarmer (in-fighter, crowder) is a fighter who attempts to overwhelm his opponent by applying constant pressure — taking away an opponent's usually superior reach. Swarmers tend to have very good head movement in order to get inside. Good power, a good chin, and a tremendous punch output (resulting in a great need for stamina and conditioning). This style favors closing inside an opponent, overwhelming them with intensity and flurries of hooks and uppercuts. They tend to be fast on their feet which can make them difficult to evade for a slower fighter; or are great at cutting off the ring with precise footwork. They also tend to have a good "chin" because this style usually involves being hit with many jabs before they can maneuver inside where they are more effective.[1] Many swarmers are often either shorter fighters or fighters with shorter reaches, especially in the heavier classes, that have to get in close to be effective.

Out-boxer

The out-boxer (out-fighter, boxer) is the opposite of the swarmer. The out-boxer seeks to maintain a gap from their opponent and fight with faster, longer range punches. Out-boxers are known for being extremely quick on their feet, which often makes up for a lack of power. Since they rely on the weaker jabs and straights (as opposed to hooks and uppercuts), they tend to win by points decisions rather than by knockout, although some out-boxers can be aggressive and effective punchers.[1]
This is just a fun fact I am adding, but Mohammad Ali was one of these!

Slugger

If the out-boxer represents everything elegant about boxing, the slugger (brawler, puncher) embodies everything brutal about the sport. Many sluggers tend to lack finesse in the ring, but make up for it in raw power, often able to knock almost any opponent out with a single punch.[1]

Sluggers' punches are often slow but have more body and follow through. This is advantageous in punching through an opponent’s guard and creating an opportunity to follow with further blows.

Most sluggers lack mobility in the ring and may have difficulty pursuing fighters who are fast on their feet but that's not always the case. Compared to swarmers and out-boxers, sluggers normally throw fewer but harder shots and rely less on combinations. Sluggers often throw predictable punching patterns (single punches with obvious leads) which can leave them open for counterpunching.[1]
because I feel like adding it, Mike Tyson was one of these!

Boxer-puncher

The boxer-puncher possesses many of the qualities of the out-boxer: hand speed, often an outstanding jab combination, and/or counter-punching skills, better defense and accuracy than a slugger, while possessing slugger type power. The Boxer-puncher may also be more willing to fight in an aggressive swarmer-style than an out-boxer. In general the boxer-puncher lacks the mobility and defensive expertise of the pure boxer. Boxer-punchers usually do well against out-boxers, especially if they can match their speed and mobility. They also tend to match up well against swarmers, because the extra power often discourages the swarmer's aggression. Boxer-punchers can be hard to categorize since they can be closer in style to a slugger, swarmer, or an out-boxer.

Any ideas for what 5e characters would fit those?

Makorel
2020-11-23, 09:00 PM
Oh hey these archetypes aren't so different from Fighting Game archetypes. Swarmer is Rushdown, Out-Boxer is Zoning, or as much zoning as one can have without projectiles, Slugger is Grappler/Big Guy archetype and Boxer-Puncher is an all-rounder/hybrid style character.

For rushdown any standard Barbarian or melee Fighter fills this niche. Grab a greatsword, get in there and start laying down the hurt so that you cannot be ignored.

Zoning or spacing is about out ranging the opponent and in that spirit nothing has more range than Archery. You just stay back and keep moving when they get close and any ranged character can replicate this style. A Mobile Monk or Melee Rogue would be a more orthodox version of an Out-Boxer and they try to accomplish the same goal but with more speed and less range.

Grapplers are a bit trickier to codify in tabletop terms. These characters are usually big guys with lots of HP but are easy to hit and get denied from doing anything again and again before getting in once and wrecking face and evening up the fight. It requires a very specific mindset to be willing to get bodied for most of a fight for the chance to do something big, and in a team game if the Grappler has someone to help them get them out of a bad spot they can become broken quite easily. I think the closest thing to this would be a spell caster that chooses to use their save or suck spells above all else making them useless until something big happens.

An all-rounder/hybrid is a little bit of everything. Maybe they're a primary melee character that can also use a bow, or maybe the opposite, and maybe they've got some spells that can do big effects. The half-casters are probably the best candidates for this archetype because they dip their toes in many pools.

Dienekes
2020-11-23, 09:40 PM
Swarmer sounds like a Barbarian to me. Probably Zealot or Totem Warrior. Their goal is to get in the opponent's face with a big weapon, which they deal bonus damage with Rage, can take a lot of hits.

Out-Boxer, trying to maintain distance and stops the opponent from getting in while whaling on them with fast graceful attacks. Alright well all attacks are pretty much the same in D&D so grace isn't really a stat you go for. But anyone who takes Polearm Master and Sentinel fits this very well. I'd personally go Fighter since they can get these feats earlier.

Slugger. So, weirdly in my opinion, the characters who consistently make the biggest, slowest, hardest hits in the game are Rogues. But they get that by hiding every round and being, well, Rogues. Which I don't think you really want. So I'd instead suggest a crit-fishing Paladin build. Try to get crits then Smite whatever you hit with massive damage.

Boxer-Puncher by your description just sounds like your basic all arounder. That'd probably go back to Fighter.

GooeyChewie
2020-11-23, 10:16 PM
The Swarmer sounds like a monk to me. Good mobility, and you want to get in close to hit your opponent with constant pressure, possibly stunning them. The "flurries of hooks and uppercuts" is literally Flurry of Blows.

The Out-Boxer sounds like a character with a Reach weapon and the Polearm Master feat. You punish enemies for daring to get close to you.

The Slugger sounds like a barbarian raging and using a two-handed weapon. Or perhaps a two-handed weapon wielding Paladin who smites a lot. Nova damage!

The Boxer-Puncher sounds like a well-balanced fighter, probably a Battle Master who has a variety of Maneuvers and chooses which one to use based on the situation.