PDA

View Full Version : Optimization fell animate and animal companion at level 1?

newguydude1
2020-11-24, 09:02 AM
i already know how to get both at level 2, but i was wondering how to get it at level 1?

animal companion is obtained with....
going druid
going bard with the acf in unearthed arcana (bard = druid level)
going sorcerer or wizard with the acf in unearthed arcana (sorc/wiz = half druid level)

so going divine metamagic cant work because clerics cant get animal companions.
illumian cant work because naenhoon comes starting at level 2

the closest i could get was a sorcerer with these feats
Natural Bond (because there is no "min level 1" with the acf)
Fell Animate
Spell Focus
Metamagic School Focus
Versatile Spellcaster

the idea was to fell animate a cantrip (spell level 3), reduce its metamagic cost by 1 (spell level 2), and then use versatile spellcaster to use two 1st level spell slots to power it (faq explicitly says you can do this).

but i need 5 feats. even with human and two flaws i can only have 4 feats. and wizard who can get all the feats cant use versatile spellcaster. and precocious apprentice spell slot cannot be used for anything other than the chosen 2nd level spell.

so im stumped. so i thought, why not ask some people here if they can succeed where i failed?

no 3rd party, dragon magazine or web content unless its an errata or an enhancement to a book.

magicalmagicman
2020-11-24, 09:11 AM
Midnight Metamagic. Can only be used once per day but doesn't have a feat tax. So your human sorcerer with 2 flaws can achieve level 1 fell animate.

Doctor Despair
2020-11-24, 09:12 AM
If you're using flaws, another useful variant system could be the bloodline system. Take any level of bloodline and pay for it before reaching level 2. Bloodlines don't increase your ECL, so you're still ECL1, character level 1, but you count as a level 2 sorcerer for the purposes of determining caster level and class features (in this case, your animal companion, which would be as of druid 1).

Anthrowhale
2020-11-24, 09:43 AM
You can get rid of Natural Bond by being a spontaneous Druid.

The Generic Spellcaster in UA and the Wu Jen both get a choosable metamagic feat at level 1.

Midnight Metamagic with Azurin and another essentia granting feat would work without the need for a Versatile Spellcaster.

newguydude1
2020-11-27, 06:40 AM
Midnight Metamagic. Can only be used once per day but doesn't have a feat tax. So your human sorcerer with 2 flaws can achieve level 1 fell animate.

midnight augmentation is all or nothing. you cant mix and match metamagic reducers.

Each spell to be affected requires the investment of a number of essentia equal to the normal spell level adjustment required by the metamagic feat (minimum 1 point of essentia).

so this fails. sucks.

sigh, back to square one.

Quentinas
2020-11-27, 06:48 AM
Using a domain druid (from unearthed arcana) with the domain of sun give you turn or rebuke undead 1/day so with extra turning you should be able to obtain enough turn undead for fell animate and you would have the animal companion because you are a druid
I think a human druid could do it at level 1 with one flaw if my math didn't failed

Anthrowhale
2020-11-27, 08:18 AM
so this fails. sucks.

I'm not following. 3 essentia solves the problem?

newguydude1
2020-11-27, 08:34 AM
I'm not following. 3 essentia solves the problem?

you only have an essentia capacity of 1 at level 1. even with improved essentia capacity the max essentia you can put into midnight metamagic is 2, not 3.

Using a domain druid (from unearthed arcana) with the domain of sun give you turn or rebuke undead 1/day so with extra turning you should be able to obtain enough turn undead for fell animate and you would have the animal companion because you are a druid
I think a human druid could do it at level 1 with one flaw if my math didn't failed

ill give it a look. thanks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-11-27, 10:09 AM
Cleric, Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), Divine Metamagic. Don't even need to be human, it can be done with flaws.

newguydude1
2020-11-27, 10:18 AM
Cleric, Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), Divine Metamagic. Don't even need to be human, it can be done with flaws.

well for my purposes, web content is not allowed unless its an enhancement of an existing source book, or an errata. so wild cohort is a no for me. neither are anything in dragon magazine or 3rd party stuff.