PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lore question - Rune Magic

nickl_2000
2020-11-24, 11:23 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the lore behind rune magic. Were someone using rune magic, are they not allowed to know and cast spells from the Prohibited Schools?

I.e.
Pride: Perfecting your own appearance and your domain through trickery and illusions. Related School: illusion. Prohibited Schools: transmutation and conjuration.

So, you can't cast or know spells from transmutation and conjuration?

Kurald Galain
2020-11-24, 11:25 AM
Were someone using rune magic, are they not allowed to know and cast spells from the Prohibited Schools?

Yes, that is correct. The tradeoff is that you get more spells per day.

nickl_2000
2020-11-24, 11:28 AM
Yes, that is correct. The tradeoff is that you get more spells per day.

Okay, thank you. Sorry about what may be a very basic question in PF, my DM is converting a PF Campaign into 5e and I'm just trying to keep with the general rules of the world.

Spiderswims
2020-11-24, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the lore behind rune magic. Were someone using rune magic, are they not allowed to know and cast spells from the Prohibited Schools?

Well, the basic idea is rune magic exists in real life, so people put it into the game.

Lore wise, it does depend on the setting and rules and such. Generically "rune magic" is often given the lore as being a simple primitive primal nature based magic. Often the 'first magic' learned by mortals.

And it often gets associated with giants and dwarves, and maybe wild elves. And any fantasy culture based on ones that used runes, like say Vikings(though really most magic world wide uses runes).

Kurald Galain
2020-11-24, 05:40 PM
Generically "rune magic" is often given the lore as being a simple primitive primal nature based magic. Often the 'first magic' learned by mortals.

Sorry, but this has absolutely nothing to do with rune magic as depicted in Pathfinder.