PDA

View Full Version : Swolizard - The grappling wizard

wunderkid
2020-11-24, 03:20 PM
Hello,

So I am currently looking at building something a little bizzare as a funshot build. What I am thinking is Fighter1/WizardX Mark of warding dwarf.

The basic combo being armour of aga and abjuration ward to max out damage while being attacked. With decent strength and taking the expertise feat for grappling to keep people close. And the unarmed fighting style just for chip damage.

Now the bit I am having trouble with is how do I get people to hit me?

Silence will help stop casters casting so that's the first thing I could think of, but what ways are there to force people into fisticuffs rather than just taking the disadvantage to shoot me or cast at me?

Thanks!

Segev
2020-11-24, 03:33 PM
Hello,

So I am currently looking at building something a little bizzare as a funshot build. What I am thinking is Fighter1/WizardX Mark of warding dwarf.

The basic combo being armour of aga and abjuration ward to max out damage while being attacked. With decent strength and taking the expertise feat for grappling to keep people close. And the unarmed fighting style just for chip damage.

Now the bit I am having trouble with is how do I get people to hit me?

Silence will help stop casters casting so that's the first thing I could think of, but what ways are there to force people into fisticuffs rather than just taking the disadvantage to shoot me or cast at me?

Thanks!

If you can get a second feat, Sentinel will serve you will for keeping people from moving away and keeping them wanting to attack you. Drop something like web on your position to make them want to break your Concentration and also unable to leave your area.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-11-24, 06:16 PM
Booming Blade is an effective way to at least keep your enemies close to you. I know you want to focus on grapple and unarmed strikes, but it’s a very good approach.

If you manage to get War Caster at some point, then your enemies will really think twice before moving away from you.

Just out of curiosity — are you really attached to multiclass Fighter? I see lots of goodies by multiclassing into Cleric or Artificer.

wunderkid
2020-11-25, 01:34 AM
Booming Blade is an effective way to at least keep your enemies close to you. I know you want to focus on grapple and unarmed strikes, but it’s a very good approach.

If you manage to get War Caster at some point, then your enemies will really think twice before moving away from you.

Just out of curiosity — are you really attached to multiclass Fighter? I see lots of goodies by multiclassing into Cleric or Artificer.

Yeah booming blade was on the take list but a lot of enemies will just soak the damage to get away.

Sentinel is a very good idea, as well, so I think that gives me enough keep'em'close. Just need some hit me tricks now.

And no fighter was more for the AC and unarmed style for the grapple damage.

Aaedimus
2020-11-25, 01:55 AM
Cool concept
think the web is good for the "hit me" strats...

Some paladins have abilities that lock enemies to you... compelled duel is a good spell for that

Also enthrall is a good spell for that
Taunt is a good fighting style

Barbarian will give you advantage on grapple and make the armor of Agythes last longer... possibly better concentration checks if you don't rage and go barb at level 1.

For attacks you're not resistant to, be sure to prepare Absorb Elements to keep that Armor of Agythes active

Hellish rebuke is another good spell to maximize punishment

Use suggesion to make them want to hit you....
Crown of Madness
Enemies Abound
Command

Phantasmal force could make them think they're attached to you an have to kill you to get the chains off

You've got lots of options

AttilatheYeon
2020-11-25, 02:08 AM
Getting mobs to hit you shouldn't be hard. Cast a debilitating concentration spell.

Falconcry
2020-11-25, 02:35 AM
Go to fighter 3 for Rune Knight to change size to large and fire shackle your target. Cast enlarge and go huge and tackle dragons.

Milmoor
2020-11-25, 02:42 AM
What about the feat Telekinetic to keep your enemies with you? Push them in the back with your invisible mage hand for a bonus action.

Zaile
2020-11-27, 05:36 AM
Go to fighter 3 for Rune Knight to change size to large and fire shackle your target. Cast enlarge and go huge and tackle dragons.

I'm going to second this.

Rune Knight / War Wizard X. Another grapple Gish-build is Eldritch Knight 5/ War Wizard X, you can sub any Wizard really, I just like War for the mini-shield reaction and INT to initiative.

Unarmed style either way, gives 1d6/d8 fists a free 1d4 on a grappled creature.

Let me sell you on Rune Knight tough. The runes are magical. Th DCs of the runes are CON Based, so you only needs STR and CON, INT can be lower if you want a utility/buff with wizard.

Giant's might is a better Enlarge b/c it doesn't need concentration, freeing it up for other spells. As stated above, stacks with Enlarge so you ARE a giant.

Get Fire and Stone runes. Fire allows you to shackle (restrain, STR save) on a weapon hit (yes even a thrown handaxe), use this on the enemy ranged/casters. Stone lets you use your reaction to Charm and enemy within 30 feet (incapacitated, WIS save speed zero in dream world) also grants darkvision.

At RK level 5
Turn 1 - Control-fest
Bonus: Ginat might
Attack action: Trow handaxe at caster/ranged (fire rune shackles) > Grapple a melee (w/advantage)
Action Surge: Shove grappled melee Prone (w/Adv) and Grapple another creature (w/Adv.)
Reaction as soon as the next enemy goes: Use Stone rune to incapacitate a 4th creature

End of Turn 1: You have 2 creatures Grappled (1 is Prone). You have Restrained 1 enemy ranged or caster and Incapacitated a 4th creature.

Turn 2:
Shove second grappled creature prone > let party wail away while you wrench their limbs > Profit