PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Options for Counter Spell, higher and lower PEACH

Gr7mm Bobb
2020-11-24, 03:37 PM
Here's what I've got so far. I think I've worked out most of the kinks in it, but it could probably use some work. I wanted a spell that worked well as a lower level counter spell. I hope it goes as well as my version of a higher level counter spell did.

Spell Stutter
2nd Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
Range: 60 feet
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
You attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell. Make an ability check using your spellcasting ability against the spell attempting to be cast. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On success, the creature’s spell fails. When you cast a spell this way, you cannot cast spells other than cantrips until the end of your next turn.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you have advantage on the ability check rolled to counter the spell.

And this one is an old one of mine, but I feel like including it so people can enjoy it too.

Mana Drain
5th Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
Range: 60 feet
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
You attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell. If the creature is casting a spell of 5th level or lower, its spell fails and has no effect as you absorb the spell's energy. If it is casting a spell of 6th level or higher, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a success, the creature’s spell fails and has no effect as you absorb the spell's energy. When you absorb a spell's energy you gain a temporary spell slot that disappears at the end of your next turn. The temporary spell slot is one lower than the slot used to cast Mana Drain.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the interrupted spell has no effect if its level is less than or equal to the level of the spell slot you used.