PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the bladed scarf (A monk subclass)

mcumoric
2020-11-24, 05:14 PM
Way of the Bladed Scarf
Monks who pledge themselves to this tradition take on a bladed scarf. This scarf acts like a third hand which wields a sword to slice and stab foes. These monks can control this “third arm” with their ki blocking attacks and striking back easily.

Bladed scarf
Starting at the 3rd level, you gain the ability to use a bladed scarf. This blade has a reach of 10 feet and deals 1d6 piercing or slashing damage. The bladed scarf counts as a monk weapon for you.

Lightning movements
Starting at the 3rd level, when you spend a ki point to use step of the wind you may make a Bladed scarf attack as a part of the same bonus action.

Reactionary slice
Starting at the 6th level, when a creature moves into the reach of your bladed scarf you may make an attack with it as a reaction.

Arcane blade
Starting at the 6th level, your bladed scarf counts as magical for overcoming resistance and immunity to non magical weapons.

Life drain
Starting at the 11th level, once per turn when you hit a living creature with your bladed scarf you can spend a ki point to gain temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt.

Razor thin blade
Starting at the 11th level, when you make a bladed scarf attack, you score a crit on a 19-20 instead of just a 20.

Thousand slices
Starting at the 17th level, once per turn when you score a critical hit with a bladed scarf attack you can make an additional bladed scarf attack as part of the same attack.
In addition when someone provokes an opportunity attack or activates your reactionary slice you may make an additional bladed scarf attack as a part of the same attack.

Garfunion
2020-11-25, 11:49 AM
A whip focus Kensei monk would be a better option then this archetype.

I think I understand what you’re trying to do with this archetype. I think you should focus more on the use of thorn whip cantrip and maybe ensnaring strike spell. And maybe some additional options to allow your scarf to pull allies to safety and maybe even defend them.

mcumoric
2020-11-25, 09:47 PM
To be honest this subclass was not really about feeling like a monk, it was more just a random idea I had.

Garfunion
2020-11-25, 11:49 PM
To be honest this subclass was not really about feeling like a monk, it was more just a random idea I had.

Well your idea has intrigued me and I’m currently working on my own version of it. I’ll post it here when I’m done with it.

mcumoric
2020-11-26, 11:53 AM
Actually part of my inspiration was the pokemon honedge (and it's line). I thought it would be cool to have a sword on the end end of a scarf that monks control with their ki.