PDA

View Full Version : How does this variant ASI rule affect CR?

sayaijin
2020-11-24, 07:18 PM
I was thinking of giving my players ASI's every two levels instead of every four. The classes that already have more (e.g. rogue, fighter) get two at their extra levels.

I was wondering what that would do to their CR.

JackPhoenix
2020-11-24, 07:32 PM
Nothing. Player characters don't have CR.

Zhorn
2020-11-24, 07:37 PM
echoing JackPhoenix here.
And even if you were to follow the guide on calculating CR for PCs, you'll find that it varies WILDLY between classes and subclasses of the same level, as their intended 'balances' are more of an 'across an adventuring day with finite and renewable resources for different roles' deal rather than a 'per round damage and effective defense' as is the case for CR.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-11-24, 08:10 PM
OP probably meant, "How would that affect encounter difficulty calculations"?

JNAProductions
2020-11-24, 08:18 PM
It'll make the players more defensive, since they'll quickly run out of offensive feats and stat boosts.

Expect players to make more saves and have better off-skills.

Lolzyking
2020-11-24, 09:07 PM
For the sake of "balance" because some classes get more ASI than others for a reason (because there class is empty) I suggest you only give the party a bonus ASI at level 2 and maybe level 10 ( with those who get an ASI at 10 getting 2 asi)

sayaijin
2020-11-25, 08:18 AM
OP probably meant, "How would that affect encounter difficulty calculations"?

Right, how would that affect appropriate CR for encounters.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly after a few feats, but I just wanted a good ballpark to start in.

Demonslayer666
2020-11-25, 11:12 AM
This is going to depend heavily on your player's style and the characters that they make.

If they make extremely effective characters and play them tactically smart, it will give them a slight boost. I doubt enough to count as another player character, but after 4th, I'd probably count it as one additional character for every 4 levels or so.

Trying to foretell the future of how well they will play their characters is always a challenge as a DM. I've had extremely effective characters played as if they didn't show up to the fight, and I had the opposite happen as well where deadly encounters were trivialized.

Unoriginal
2020-11-25, 11:37 AM
Right, how would that affect appropriate CR for encounters.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly after a few feats, but I just wanted a good ballpark to start in.

In principle, it shouldn't affect appropriate encounter CRs.

CR is not a measure of how a specific adventurer group will do against an encounter.