PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Phrenic Half-Giant [Race]

JNAProductions
2020-11-24, 07:29 PM
Phrenic Half-Giant
A Phrenic Half-Giant is a giant with awoken psionic potential. Usually hailing from the ruling lines of half-giant tribes, some half-giants have accidents or events that awaken their potential on their own.

Ability Score Increase
As a Phrenic, you have the strength of self to use your pisonic powers. And as a Half-Giant, you're damn sturdy. Your Charisma increases by 2, and your Constitution increases by 1.

Longer lived than even dwarves and other half-giants, a Phrenic reaches maturity only slightly slower than a human, but can live for six to eight centuries.

Alignment
Phrenic Half-Giants are rarely neutral-they feel, and they feel strongly.

Size
You stand easily seven and a half feet tall, if not larger, and weigh a lot. Despite that, you're just barely small enough to be Medium.

Speed
Your move speed is 30'.

Powerful Build
You count as one size larger for carrying capacity and the weight you can lift, pull or drag.

Hale And Hearty
You gain 1 additional HP at every level.

Psionics
You know the Mage Hand cantrip. You may cast it without any components, and the hand is invisible. Additionally, you may cast Earth Tremor once, requiring no components and using Charisma as your casting stat. You regain the use of this ability when you complete a short or long rest.

Phrenic Might
Prerequisites: Phrenic Half-Giant

You are able to infuse your blows with the might of your mind. When you take this feat, you gain the following benefits:

-Your Charisma score increases by 1.
-You may use Charisma in place of Strength for your weapon attacks.
-You may, once per long rest, cast Magic Weapon as a 2nd level spell.

ravencroft0
2020-12-13, 05:32 PM
Seems okay, but when I see half-giant, I think goliath. I would be interested to know what your reasoning was to not make this a subrace. There are giants of all sorts; it would only make sense to have variety, as with the half-elf variant. Is there lore to go along with this Dark Sun-inspired beast?

sandmote
2020-12-13, 06:23 PM
Any particular reason to use Longstrider and Shield rather than Earth Tremor? Shield in particular seems rather odd here.

To better separate them from gith, maybe they could also cast Magic Stone, but have it apply to all stones they throw before the start of their turn?

There are giants of all sorts; it would only make sense to have variety, as with the half-elf variant. Is there lore to go along with this Dark Sun-inspired beast?I assume this is taken from the 3.5e half giant. See here (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) for reference.

JNAProductions
2020-12-13, 06:46 PM
Any particular reason to use Longstrider and Shield rather than Earth Tremor? Shield in particular seems rather odd here.

To better separate them from gith, maybe they could also cast Magic Stone, but have it apply to all stones they throw before the start of their turn?

I assume this is taken from the 3.5e half giant. See here (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) for reference.

Earth Tremor. Good pick.

Shield seems a basic telekinetic thing to do-but I get your point. Maybe allow Earth Tremor once per short rest?

sandmote
2020-12-13, 08:26 PM
Shield seems a basic telekinetic thing to do
I see now why you went with those. Although I still think "telekinetic throws," fit as well as invisible Mage Hand, and consider it more fitting for giant-kin.

Maybe allow Earth Tremor once per short rest?
Short rest makes sense, considering it's generally weak even for a 1st level spell and you've given it no synergy.

JNAProductions
2020-12-13, 08:36 PM
Swapped the other two spells for Earth Tremor.