PDA

View Full Version : What pact boons fit genie and fathomless warlocks?

Rfkannen
2020-11-24, 07:32 PM
I really like the new warlock patrons! I was thinking, do you think either of them go particularly well with any of the pact boons?

clash
2020-11-24, 08:41 PM
Are you asking mechanically or thematically?

Thematically I would probably pair them work pact of the tome or possibly chain for fathomless. Can't speak to the mechanics though.

Naanomi
2020-11-24, 08:50 PM
Fathomless doesn't have an obvious 'chain' boon that fits the underwater theme. Otherwise I think all of them are fair game.

I know *mechanically* there has been discussion about how good invisible pets are at guarding your magic lamp while you rest...

DracoKnight
2020-11-24, 09:08 PM
Personally I really like Fathomless + Blade. When it was in UA as “Lurker in the Deep” I play tested it — and based my feedback for the subclass on — using Pact of the Blade.

They were a simic hybrid, and i played it as their patron was the Pirates of the Caribbean version of Davy Jones, and my PC was part of the ship, part of the crew.

————

For Genie, I think basically any of them work.

Pex
2020-11-24, 09:44 PM
I like the idea of your Chain Familiar protecting your vessel while you're in it, but I'm not sure it would work well. You'd technically be on a different plane and thus couldn't communicate with it. The Familiar can still hide somewhere, so it works well enough I suppose, but I'm not sure it's as Cool as it first sounds.

Still, it's great for infiltration at 10th+ level. Party goes into the vessel. Invisibile Familiar flies the vessel through a window of a building you want to get into and finds a suitable spot for everyone to get out unobserved. Problem is you can't use that method to leave until after you long rest, but sometimes getting out isn't an issue. You just want to get by someone or something unnoticed.

Naanomi
2020-11-24, 09:47 PM
Still, it's great for infiltration at 10th+ level. Party goes into the vessel. Invisibile Familiar flies the vessel through a window of a building you want to get into and finds a suitable spot for everyone to get out unobserved. Problem is you can't use that method to leave until after you long rest, but sometimes getting out isn't an issue. You just want to get by someone or something unnoticed.
If the whole party is Elven you can pull off a Long Rest in the bottle if really necessary

werescythe
2020-11-24, 10:01 PM
I think Fathomless + Tome would be fine, especially for a witch themed character.