PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder equivalent of Amulet of Retributive Healing?

kylehanson
2020-11-25, 09:28 AM
Hail! So I'm playing a Pathfinder (3.5-ish) game, I'm playing a Cleric with the Craft Wondrous Item feat, and I really like this Amulet of Retributive Healing (Magic Item Compendium, p 69). 2000 gp to be able to, 3xday when curing another, have the same curing affect on yourself as the healer. Here are the full stats:

Price: 2,000 gp / Item Level: 6th / Body Slot: Throat / Caster Level: 9th / Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) Transmutation / 1 lb.
Activation: Swift (command)

Activate as a swift action: the next effect you use before the end of your turn that heals another creature's damage also heals you of an equal amount, as long as you could be healed by that same effect. If the effect heals multiple creatures, you only gain the retributive healing once per effect.

For example, a human cleric casting cure light wounds on an ally after activating this amulet would gain the same amount of healing, but a human wizard casting repair light damage on her warforged ally would not benefit from activating the amulet (since that spell only affects constructs).

The DM wants to limit items to Pathfinder equivalents, really just to ensure things are balanced. I just discovered that the Darkness (2nd level) spell is really different in Pathfinder vs. 3.x.

ANY HELP? Anyone else import a Amulet of Retributive Healing into Pathfinder, finding it balanced or not? We're playing that GiantSlayer Module if that helps, so indicate if you have some experience in that -- but please no spoilers. My cleric is non-violent and does a lot of combat healing (usually seen as an unwise choice from a power perspective), so I don't think adding some extra healing would be imbalanced -- but I'm hoping to get some assurances from the community!

Thanks in advance, folks!

Kurald Galain
2020-11-25, 09:49 AM
The main difference is that in combat, a 3E cleric can heal one ally as a standard action; whereas a PF cleric will heal the entire party as a standard action, with his channel ability.

This means that in-combat healing in 3E is largely a waste of time (until you get the Heal spell), whereas in-combat healing in PF is a useful and effective strategy. So items like this one aren't really needed in PF.

...meaning it wouldn't be overpowered either, so go for it.

Gnaeus
2020-11-25, 10:23 AM
The main difference is that in combat, a 3E cleric can heal one ally as a standard action; whereas a PF cleric will heal the entire party as a standard action, with his channel ability.

This means that in-combat healing in 3E is largely a waste of time (until you get the Heal spell), whereas in-combat healing in PF is a useful and effective strategy. So items like this one aren't really needed in PF.

...meaning it wouldn't be overpowered either, so go for it.

Supporting that would be that healing is generally easier/more prevalent in PF. With wands of lesser infernal healing for mages, Paladin swift action LoH, a great many common non core arcane types having healing (like witch, investigator and alchemist) etc.