PDA

View Full Version : What's in Bonal Geldem's journal/ (3.5E updated to 5E)

Postmodernist
2020-11-24, 10:37 AM
I'm running my PCs through a 5E updated version of the Eberron adventures Forgotten Forge, Shadows of the Last War, etc. So far the characters haven't exactly nailed it: they failed to recover the schema in Forgotten Forge, and one of the characters has apparently betrayed them/been captured/gone into deep cover to allow the others to escape.

In reviewing the adventure, I realized that Bonal Geldem's journal, which kicks off the adventure, is a massively underutilized source of plot potential. They barely mention what's in it in the story. I was sort of thinking of it like journal in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - full of additional clues and puzzles for the players to solve that might catapult them to other parts of the story, or entirely new adventures.

So what should go in it? I'd love to hear your ideas on weird things to put in the book that might serve as exciting hooks or similar.

Thanks!

Postmodernist
2020-11-25, 10:59 AM
Bump attempt for some love.

Unoriginal
2020-11-25, 11:30 AM
Bump attempt for some love.

Maybe you'd have better results if you asked on the 3.X subforum? More chances to have people who are familiar with those adventures see your thread there.

Postmodernist
2020-11-25, 11:57 AM
Maybe you'd have better results if you asked on the 3.X subforum? More chances to have people who are familiar with those adventures see your thread there.

Fair point. Thanks!

Postmodernist
2020-11-25, 12:07 PM
I'm running my PCs through a 5E updated version of the Eberron adventures Forgotten Forge, Shadows of the Last War, etc. So far the characters haven't exactly nailed it: they failed to recover the schema in Forgotten Forge, and one of the characters has apparently betrayed them/been captured/gone into deep cover to allow the others to escape.

In reviewing the adventure, I realized that Bonal Geldem's journal, which kicks off the adventure, is a massively underutilized source of plot potential. They barely mention what's in it in the story. I was sort of thinking of it like journal in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - full of additional clues and puzzles for the players to solve that might catapult them to other parts of the story, or entirely new adventures.

So what should go in it? I'd love to hear your ideas on weird things to put in the book that might serve as exciting hooks, unusual puzzles the journal might contain, or unanswered questions it might lead the PCs toward pursuing.

Thanks!

(Also: this was cross posted in the 5E section, but someone suggested I repost it here. Mods, do with me as thou wilt.)

jdizzlean
2020-11-27, 04:10 AM
The Mod Life Crisis: Both threads merged.