PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A Guide to Sidekick Optimization

LordShade
2020-11-25, 02:16 PM
I've been thinking a lot about sidekicks since Tasha's came out and wanted to share some of my thoughts and ideas here. Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts as well.

I. Why I wrote this guide

I got my start in D&D with 2nd Edition, which had extensive rulesets governing the acquisition and use of hirelings, henchmen, followers, lieutenants, apprentices and various other flunkies. As a DM, I loved awarding goons of various kinds to my players (often using obscure or underpowered kits and races that players would never take themselves) and as a player I loved collecting them. Although 5e is a more streamlined system, the new Sidekick rules offer much the same opportunity for creativity.

I also love minmaxing and theorycrafting, purely as a thought exercise, even though I don’t necessarily play optimized builds myself. I’ve been away from D&D for a very long time, although in the early days of 3e I spent a lot of time on the old WOTC CharOp boards, manufacturing various hilarious and/or obscenely overpowered builds with the other forum regulars that I never intended to play, just for the fun of it. It appears at least one of my old builds is still floating around.

Aside from personal fun and nostalgia, there’s one practical reason I wrote this guide. The new Sidekick rules specify that the DM should treat sidekicks as if they were full player characters for the purposes of determining encounter difficulty. If a DM is strictly following the CR/encounter rules when sidekicks are involved, the party risks being run over if the sidekicks aren’t pulling their weight. I hope this guide will give players and DMs alike some ideas for how to boost their sidekicks’ capability so they are fun to use and have around, rather than a liability for the PCs. Some of the ideas contained in this post might also prove useful that want to play a sidekick class as their main PC as well, for whatever reason.

II. Overarching thoughts on Sidekicks

I think of the sidekick classes as stripped-down versions of regular classes. I’d rate the Warrior as 70% of a Champion, the Expert as 70% of a Mastermind with a bard dip, and the Spellcaster as 40% of an Evoker (I’m looking forward to seeing your ratings of the sidekick classes). However, the rules suggest that the DM treat a sidekick as a full player character for the purposes of setting encounter difficulty, so it’s important to make sure they aren’t dead weight in a party. To get the most out of them, we have to focus on the areas where they aren’t far behind player character classes.

To start with, sidekick classes mostly match PCs in terms of raw ability scores and feats*. Builds that rely on raw stats and feats, rather than class features, will be the most powerful. Where sidekicks can outshine PCs are in their choices of stat blocks, which effectively work as “races” for a sidekick class. Conceptually, I think of the NPC statblocks much like ECL races from 3e or XP-penalty races from 2e. In some cases, these races became very overpowered when put into builds that had good synergy with their unusual abilities. This also holds in 5e, where some CR ½ or ¼ stat blocks are vastly more powerful than a PC-eligible race. Some statblocks—those that say “any humanoid”, and at the DM’s discretion—get to pick racial features on top of the abilities already contained in the stat block (DMG p. 282). Creating truly powerful sidekicks will rely on abusing undercosted CR ½ or ¼ stat blocks.

In general, the strongest statblocks are the ones that have good ability score distributions and unique powers that PCs can’t get. Some notable powers are: Multiattack, Pack Tactics, Innate Spellcasting, extra starting hit dice, and Magic Resistance. Statblocks can also have abilities that do appear in PC classes, like armor proficiencies, Spellcasting, and Expertise (the statblock doesn’t say Expertise explicitly, but calculating the skill modifier manually will show that the proficiency bonus is getting doubled). A statblock that provides armor proficiency is particularly valuable for Experts and Spellcasters.

Finally, a note on the NPC races from DMG p. 282. Although the starred races there explicitly say that their racial features don’t adjust a statblock’s CR, it’s not clear to me whether or not the ability score adjustments do. In some cases, adding +2 Str or +2 Dex to an NPC statblock pushes it over the CR ½ eligibility limit for a sidekick if you were to recalculate the statblock’s CR using the higher stats. I’m assuming that if a racial adjustment pushes a statblock up to CR 1, it’s no longer eligible for use as a sidekick, RAW.

*This guide assumes that the optional feats for ASIs rule is being used, and moreover, that sidekicks can spend their ASIs on feats. I haven’t seen anything in the PHB or in Tasha’s that suggests that sidekicks shouldn’t be able to use feats.

III. Breaking down the classes: The Warrior

In my opinion, the Warrior is the strongest of the 3 sidekick classes. It is basically a stripped down version of the Champion, getting most of its abilities, but on a delayed schedule. The most important abilities it is missing are Action Surge and the 4th attack at level 20. Other than that, it is reasonably close to a pure Champion in terms of damage output and survivability until level 11. With access to feats, it will essentially perform like any other fighter, taking GWM/PAM/Sentinel, Sharpshooter, Shield Master, or any other function you normally want a fighter to perform. It only gets 1 fewer ASI than a Champion (6 in total), so with a good statblock it should easily be able to max its attacking stat and pick up a couple of useful feats on the side. Depending on how OP the underlying stat block is, it can be built to even outperform a Champion in Tier 1 and 2.

Making the most of the Warrior

One thing to note is that instead of a “fighting style” at level 1, the Warrior gets the functional equivalent of one called “Martial Role.” One of the choices grants a flat +2 to all attack rolls, which is vastly better than anything a fighter can get. Not only does this give something like a Warhorse a +8 attack bonus at level 1, when a normal PC should have a +5, it also makes the Warrior a better user of GWM than any PC can be. That extra flat +2 to hit is a gap that a melee PC can never close—in fact, this ability is so powerful that I’d even consider dipping a level of Warrior on a true PC just to get it. Of course, the sidekick rules don’t say that these classes are actually eligible for multiclassing. But if they were, it would be something to think about…

Cheating as a Sharpshooter

One additional cheese here. Tasha’s has a feat that lets a character pick up a fighting style of their choice. Could a Warrior pick up the Archery fighting style, on top of Attacker Martial Role, for a flat +4 to hit, because these abilities have different names and therefore stack? This shouldn’t work, because it would be wrong, in the same way that kicking toddlers or puppies is wrong. But does it work, RAW? If yes, this would make a lowly Warrior the best Sharpshooter in the game, particularly if you can find a stat block that gives Multiattack 2 or more with a longbow. As a DM, I wouldn’t allow it, but YMMV.

IV. Breaking down the classes: The Expert

At first glance, the expert is merely a stripped down version of the Rogue, featuring 4 Expertises, Cunning Action, 6 ASIs, the Mastermind’s level 3 feature, and some of the Rogue’s defensive goodies, but no Sneak Attack. However, it’s more complicated than that. The Expert’s bonus Help action is actually the Mastermind’s Help action combined with Bardic Inspiration, and has unlimited uses to boot—better than anything a PC Mastermind or Bard can do on its own, or essentially a double-strength bonus action. Moreover, this Help bonus action also lets the Expert turn its own attack action into a minor (2d6) sneak attack, and at high levels, has the option to turn its Inspiration dice into damage. This effectively becomes a +4d6 sneak attack, of which only 2d6 depends on its own standard action.

Making the most of the Expert

Taking this set of abilities as a whole, what we see is a class that has decent survivability, super strong at-will bonus actions, but not much to do with the standard action itself. There are a few options here. The first would be to forget about damage-dealing standard actions entirely, and focus on utility actions. The Healer feat would make the Expert a good combat healer, essentially serving the same role as a Fast Hands Thief, but with the action and bonus action flipped to what a Mastermind Rogue would do. Another option is to go for grappling with Athletics expertise, and focus on locking down a single dangerous enemy.

If you want to go for damage, the Expert basically needs to figure out how to get the most out of its single attack action. The first is to use a statblock that gets Multiattack. The second is to take something like the Hobgoblin stat block, which effectively gives +4d6 damage at level 6 between the Hobgoblin’s Martial Advantage ability and the bonus action Help buff, essentially matching the damage output of a level 7 rogue. The single attack damage can be further buffed by Magic Initiate for a blade cantrip. The Darkling also gets something like this.

Finally, you could forget about melee attacks entirely and just pick up a damage cantrip or two with Magic Initiate. Based on my reading, the Expert’s bonus action help rider should trigger on a spell attack roll. If this works, you’re looking at Firebolt damage plus the 2d6 while giving out advantage every round. That’s competitive enough in Tier 2.

V. Breaking down the classes: The Spellcaster

The Spellcaster is the most lackluster of the three sidekicks, in my view. What happened here was probably an overreaction from the designers in response to public commentary on the UA version of the Spellcaster, which was generally seen as overpowered. Unfortunately, that led the designers to nerf this guy into the dumpster.

The Spellcaster is basically an evoker wizard or a cantrip cleric, but with half-caster progression, no ritual casting, and the spells known of a sorcerer. It is flat out bad in comparison to any full caster, or even any half-caster like a paladin or ranger. One interesting, but not quite redeeming, feature is that it can choose spells off multiple class lists if it chooses to be a Wisdom or Charisma caster.
That being said, I’m mostly fine with this. People understandably did not like the idea of “sidekicks” casting game-changing Wishes and Meteor Swarms. In order to carry its weight in a party, however, the Spellcaster needs to be built off a good statblock or really squeeze the most out of its limited spellcasting abilities.

One problem when choosing statblocks though is that the Spellcaster’s “Spellcasting” feature overwrites a statblock’s “Spellcasting” feature, if it has one. That creates the unfortunate problem of something like an Acolyte losing much of its power when it takes level 1 in the Spellcaster sidekick class. I’d probably just houserule that it gets some of its spells back later on, because from a thematic standpoint, an Acolyte joining the party and then eventually growing in power as a Spellcaster makes a lot of sense from a roleplaying POV. It’s just bad mechanically. A better option is to look for statblocks that have “Innate Spellcasting,” which doesn’t get overwritten.

Making the most of the Spellcaster

I think the best way to salvage the Spellcaster is to lean heavily into what it can do well, which is cantrip spam, and supplement that with the best bang-for-the-buck options it can get from its spell slots. Let’s start with the latter. First, the Spellcaster gets the evoker’s damage buff ability, which lets it pull off Nuclear Wizard shenanigans, RAW. As a DM I wouldn’t allow the Nuclear Wizard stuff in the first place, but it’s there, if you want to use it. As a Healer, you can use this to boost one roll of a healing spell—perhaps useful for an AOE heal like Prayer of Healing or Mass Healing Word. Second, Tasha’s has a feat that lets a non-sorcerer pick up metamagic. With this feat, the Spellcaster can use the Sorcerer’s strongest trick, which is twinning concentration buffs. Boosting the party’s action economy in this way is tremendously powerful even if you’re a half-caster.

The Budget Warlock

Finally, there’s cantrip spam. Baseline, the Spellcaster can get 4d10+5 spamming firebolts. There aren’t a ton of options to boost this, but there are things like Flames of Phlegethos, the aforementioned Twin, and Spell Sniper.

That said, one unique feature of the Spellcaster is that it is the only class in the game other than the Warlock which can learn Eldritch Blast. Unfortunately, the new Tasha’s feats that give EB-boosting Warlock invocations won’t work here, because those invocations have prerequisites and are therefore ineligible for the feat. However, the Prodigy Spellcaster can learn Hex at level 1, which gives 2/3rds of the Warlock’s EB+AB+Hex spam equation. Then there’s the Spellcaster’s “Potent Cantrips” feature, which has almost the same wording as the Cleric’s “Potent Spellcasting” feature. My understanding is that Potent Spellcasting has been ruled to allow an Arcana cleric to add its Wisdom modifier to both forks of a Greenflame Blade hit. If that same ruling holds with a Spellcaster’s Potent Cantrips, the Prodigy should be able to add its Charisma modifier to each beam of the Eldritch Blast. Congratulations, your idiot henchman is now matching 100% of your EB damage. If he picks up Metamagic Adept, great, he’s now a budget Sorlock too for 2 rounds! (And if PCs could multiclass into Sidekick classes, 6 levels of Spellcaster on top of a Sorlock would give you the ultimate EB spammer.)

This build should more-or-less keep up in combat effectiveness with a PC warlock through most of Tier 2. The PC warlock will be firing off 2-3 mid-level spells per battle and spamming EB in between, while the sidekick Budget Warlock will be matching the EB spam and casting 2-3 slightly lower level spells. Of course, it can’t compare to a full Warlock’s out-of-combat utility thanks to invocations and Pact Boons, and it will get left in the dust once Mystic Arcanums show up. But it’ll never lack for at-will damage.

Last thoughts on the Spellcaster

Overall, I can’t help but feel like the Spellcaster is a missed opportunity. I would have liked to see some of the supportive abilities from PC classes mixed in to the Spellcaster’s progression, like the abjurer’s ward, the war cleric’s guided strike, or even a nerfed, non-spotlight-stealing version of the diviner’s Portent.

VI. Racial abilities for Statblocks with “Humanoid (any race)” as the creature type

From what I can tell, these statblocks can optionally add the NPC racial features from p. 282 of the DMG to the stat block. The ones referenced in the PHB are explicitly called out as not altering the challenge rating, which would otherwise affect the statblock’s eligibility for a sidekick class. The others are less clear, and might bump a stat block out of eligibility if they significantly affect HP, AC or damage. I’m not going to bother with doing the math on all these, but adding a feature like Lucky, Gnome Cunning, Relentless Endurance, Infernal Legacy or a breath weapon onto a sidekick definitely makes it more powerful.

A “cheese/rules lawyering” option with the PHB races is to look for stat adjustments that aren’t enough to affect damage or HP significantly—e.g., adding +1 Con to a statblock that has 14 Con. RAW, this won’t affect the CR since the HP bonus doesn’t change, even though this tactic obviously has value—you can use the level 4 ASI to round off the odd-numbered stat.

A few notes on these, since they don’t map exactly to PHB races:

Dwarf – has a choice of +2 Str or Wis, in addition to +2 Con. The Wis bonus is unlikely to lead to a CR bump and will be a good choice for a Healer. Dwarf resilience alone doesn’t affect CR.
Gnome – Likewise, +2 Int along with a choice of +2 Dex or Con will help a Mage. Gnome cunning alone doesn’t affect CR. I don’t know why the DMG Gnome gets +4 to total stats, but there you go.
Half-Orc - +2 Str, +1 Con, and Relentless Endurance doesn’t influence CR.
Tiefling - +1 Int +2 Cha, tiefling spells don’t affect CR.
Halfling - +2 Dex, +1 Con or Cha. Lucky doesn’t affect CR! The halfling mobility and hiding advantages are also very nice for an Expert, while Bountiful Luck is a fantastic way for a sidekick to use its reaction and support the PCs.
Elf/Drow – both underwhelming compared to other options. The standard elf doesn’t seem to get the High Elf’s free cantrip or the Wood Elf’s wilderness abilities.
Half-elf - +1 Dex, +1 Int and +2 Cha. Might be a good foundation for an aspiring Prodigy Spellcaster.
Non-PHB races:
Deep Gnome - +3 to physical stats, which may affect the CR. Along with a pile of racial features, this might be a good choice for a CR ¼ statblock that will not go above CR ½ with the extra abilities.
Hobgoblin – Martial advantage will increase per-round damage by 7. This is likely to affect the CR, so we’re looking for a CR ¼ statblock to slap this onto.

VII. Notable Statblocks – System Reference Document

Acolyte (SRD) / Apprentice Wizard (Volo’s) / Magewright (Eberron RFTLW) – All of these are conceptually very appropriate as NPCs that will eventually turn into Spellcaster sidekicks. I imagine that these guys are what WOTC had in mind when they put together the sidekick rules. Problem is, from an optimization standpoint, these dudes’ Spellcasting trait gets overwritten by the Spellcaster sidekick’s class ability. From that perspective, they’re actually better off being Experts (who can make good use of a free damage cantrip) or Warriors. As a DM, I’d probably just let them stack their base Spellcasting ability alongside the class feature. It might seem powerful at low level but these guys would rapidly lose steam in Tier 2 and higher.

Magewrights have 28 base point buy stats before racials, 2-3 skills and tools, 3-4 cantrips, and 2-3 rituals. CR 0 since they have no combat abilities. You can safely take a +4 stats race, or a half-dragon template, or many other things.

Acolytes have 18 base point buy stats before racials, 3 1st level spells, 3 cantrips, and 2 skills. As CR ¼ creatures, they can safely add a +2 Wis race without crossing the limit.

The Apprentice Mage is the mirror image of the Acolyte. Take a +2 Int race and go wild.

Hobgoblin (SRD) – Point Buy: 15 (backing out racials). This is a pretty lackluster stat block, but does have two redeeming qualities—proficiency in shields and chainmail, and the “Martial Advantage” ability. Martial Advantage essentially functions like a 2d6 sneak attack on one hit per round. This lends itself fairly well to an Expert build, where that extra 2d6 makes a difference in bringing the one attack per round up to something approaching good DPR.

Alternately, the Hobgoblin racial features from the NPC table on p. 282 of the DMG can provide Martial Advantage to a different statblock. Note that these features are different from the ones you get selecting Hobgoblin as a PC race (such as Saving Face).

Noble (SRD) – Point Buy: 32 (before racials). Excellent base stats before racial adjustments, the Noble also offers 3 skills, 2 HD, breastplate and rapier proficiencies, and what is effectively the Defensive Duelist feat for free in the form of the “Parry” ability. With the base 16 charisma, this is probably best played as a budget warlock. You could also go Expert, with Parry being a solid use of the reaction to enhance the Expert’s already powerful suite of survivability features.

The Noble is CR 1/8 so adding Half-elf for a starting 18 Charisma shouldn’t be an issue, nor would adding Hobgoblin for a quick 2d6 extra damage. Go Tiefling for more magic and eventual Flames of Phlegethos as a Mage Firebolt spammer, or take a look at the Half-Dragon template and see if you can keep the Noble at CR ½ or less.

Orc (SRD) – Point Buy: 24 (backing out racials). Although the 16 Str/Con are solid for a Warrior, and Aggressive is a nice gap close, there is nothing exceptional about this stat block. Starting with something like the Thug stat block and adding the orc racial features from a supplement book like Volo’s would give you an overall better character.

Satyr (SRD) – Point Buy: 24 (if you back out Satyr racials). Not exceptional stats, but this guy has 7 base HD, 40’ movement and magic resistance on a CR ½ creature. This means Con ASIs and Tough will scale extremely well and it’ll start with a boatload of HP at level 1. With Satyr’s Pipes (optional item in the MM’s Satyr stat block) potentially providing an AOE fear or charm, Expert looks like a good class. The Satyr also appears to start with expertise in Performance. Dex Warrior (starting Dex 16) is also very viable, especially as a flex archer/S&B tank. Spellcaster is also fine—Satyr’s innate MR and hit dice are so strong that this sidekick will be effective no matter what you do.

Scout (SRD) – Point Buy: 25 (pre-racials). Overall, this is an extremely powerful statblock, grabbing a couple key features from the Warrior and Expert as built-in abilities. You know those bizarre builds like Aerenal elf Knowledge Cleric 1/Rogue 1/Bard 3/whatever where people try to get a zillion skills, and how those characters suck? Well, if you want to play a terrible character like that, you’re better off just being a sidekick Scout-Expert. Although the stats aren’t anything special, the Scout has 3 HD, Multiattack 2 Longbow/Shortsword and appears to start with Expertise in four skills. As an “Any Race Humanoid”, you could still go Aerenal elf (Eberron; trade elf weapon proficiencies for Expertise in one skill) and have Expertise in 9 skills as a Scout-Expert. Add Keen Hearing and Sight and you have an almost unbeatable skill monkey, with Multiattack 2 to boot (which would find use if you wanted to make a Sharpshooter Expert or Spellcaster). As with other Multiattack 2 Expert builds, the Scout-Expert approaches 75% of a vanilla Rogue 20’s expected DPR assuming it can max its attack stat. Go Spellcaster instead, and you have something that feels like a fighter/mage/thief from 2nd Edition. Nifty.

* Note: the Scout is balanced on a knife’s edge at CR 1/2. Any +2 Dexterity race likely pushes it to CR 1. Half-elf’s +1 Dex would be good if building a Warrior or Expert, while Dwarf’s +2 Con +2 Wis would be a better foundation for a Healer.

Sprite (SRD) – Point Buy: 27. An interesting stat block—40’ flight, a poisoned shortbow attack, at-will invisibility, what appears to be Stealth expertise, and a starting 18 Dex. This can be the foundation of a good backline caster or a skill monkey. Attacking or casting a spell breaks the invisibility, but there might be other actions (healing kit?) that an Expert can take that wouldn’t break it. Don’t bother making it a Warrior—a weak poison DC isn’t enough to build around for Extra Attack, unless the DM rules that the Sprite can Sharpshooter power attack using its wimpy bow.

Svirfneblin (SRD) – Point Buy: 26 (backing out racials). Near PC-level stats (counting racials), plus chain shirt proficiency, 3 skills, Gnome Cunning, Innate Spellcasting (equivalent to a free feat, also not overwritten by Spellcaster), and a poisoned weapon make this a solid foundation for any sidekick build. The emphasis on physical stats—particularly the 15 Str—pushes this towards Warrior, but the free spells and poisoned weapon could make this a decent Expert or add some more oomph as a dedicated caster. Given the creature’s small size, the best build is probably a control/support Warrior using shield bashes, Protection and Gnome Cunning to protect the weak saves. The new Thrown Weapon fighting style might be an interesting pickup (via Feat) at high level, to spam poisoned darts all over the place.

Thug (SRD) – Point Buy: 26 (before racials). Another excellent statblock, the Thug has solid-enough base stats, starting 5 HD, Multiattack 2 (mace/heavy crossbow), and Pack Tactics, with the only drawback being poor AC. And it can add racial traits on top. What’s not to like? A Str/Con race will help offense, but be careful—the Thug is tightly balanced at CR 1/2. Taking the Strength attack bonus up to +3 will push this up to CR 1.

The most obvious play here is Warrior, which immediately shores up the weak AC with heavy armor and a shield. The Multiattack 2 mace isn’t wasted, as it will carry the build through Tier 1—in fact, Multiattack 2+Attacker+Pack Tactics while wearing a shield and 4d8+Con extra HP makes the Thug outperform any PC fighter build I can think of in Tier 1. Take a strength ASI at level 4, and then GWM at level 8. Attacker+Pack Tactics completely cancels the power attack penalty of GWM, helping the Thug-Warrior maintain parity with PC fighters until level 11. The build has enough feats to max out Str and take the GWM/PAM/Sentinel trifecta if it wants to, but feats like Tough will also scale extremely well due to the 4 extra HD. Race-wise, the best choice is probably the +2 Con +2 Wis Dwarf since we want to avoid +Str races. As a DM, since I historically like to use non-optimal abilities when awarding followers, I might give it something like the Dwarf’s self-healing feat to use those extra hit dice.

Expert is another interesting option. The Expert’s “sneak attack” feature works with a mace, so the Multiattack 2 will find value throughout the Thug-Expert’s career. What we’re building here is basically a mobile, front-line skirmisher, that picks up a +2 Dex race and Moderately Armored to grant advantage to an ally and come in to focus-fire with 2 maces at 2d6+mod x2 +2d6 +2d6 (31), with self-granted advantage using Pack Tactics. Compare to a vanilla full Rogue 20 doing ~43 raw DPR. If you can get Dex to 14, then the Multiattack heavy crossbow will also find some use.

Warhorse (SRD) – Excellent base stats for an animal companion. Base strength is 18, which means the attack stat is maxed at level 4, and all later ASIs can go to feats or Con. It also starts with 3d10 HD. Since a warhorse with the Warrior class can’t take the Defender style, it has to go Attacker—giving a +8 to hit at level 1.

VIII. Notable Statblocks – Monster Manual

Pixie (MM) – This little girl is either completely OP or totally useless depending on how the DM plays it. The book says that pixies hate fighting and run away from enemies. If that’s how it is gonna work at your table, then the mechanics are irrelevant since the Pixie won’t have any impact on battles. On the other hand, if your DM rules that your Pixie sidekick is going to stand and fight…
…then you have an outright game-breaking situation on your hands. The Pixie comes out of the gate with the casting presence of an 8th-level mage, with Polymorph and Confusion in its arsenal at level 1. It also has a starting 20 Dexterity, +7 Stealth, and an at-will Invisibility that doesn’t appear to break on a spell cast, unless the spell uses concentration. Since the Pixie doesn’t use weapons, Warrior is out. Expert could work, but since the Help bonus damage depends on the Expert landing an attack, that probably isn’t the best choice either.

That leaves Spellcaster, which is the clear winner. Since the Pixie’s magic is Innate Spellcasting, it doesn’t get overwritten. The flavor text suggests that Pixies don’t like to do damage, which is fine, and since they have 10 Int you don’t want the Wizard list anyway. The best strategy here is to go Healer with 14 Wis and focus on buffs, zone control and (gasp!) in-combat healing, which the Healer can do since it mixes the Druid and Cleric lists. Non-concentration buffs like Aid, Death Ward and Longstrider shouldn’t break the Pixie’s invisibility, nor would upcasted heals or Spare the Dying. She can also hand out Goodberries, and if she can find a safe space to hide, maintain a Healing Spirit or a Sleet Storm.

And she does need to hide. The Pixie’s biggest issue in combat (if it decides to participate at all) is the fact that it has 1 hit point. Another reason it can’t really use offensive spells is that it can’t afford to boost its casting stats (whether Wis or Cha), because every ASI/feat needs to go into improving its survivability. I would probably build towards putting every ASI into Con, maybe taking Tough, and perhaps taking something like the Metamagic feat to get Distant Spell. Distant would let the Pixie stay even farther away from the action. One counterpoint in favor of the Expert is that Evasion helps protect the Pixie’s pitiful HP puddle.

Jackalwere (MM) – Point Buy 25. There’s 4 HD, 3 skills, Keen Senses, a sleep gaze, and Pack Tactics… but that isn’t even the most busted thing. Immunity to nonmagical, nonsilvered weapons is game-breaking. There were a couple of 2e races/kits that had this ability and I never allowed them in play. I wouldn’t allow this either.

IX. Notable Statblocks – Eberron: Rising from the Last War

Changeling (Eberron RFTLW) – Point Buy: 25 (after backing out racials). Starting 16 Cha pushes this towards a Prodigy Spellcaster, but the 5 starting skills can make it a great skill monkey too. 4 HD, an impersonation ability, Multiattack 2 with a dagger, and an AOE fear on a short rest round out the toolkit.

Dolgrim (Eberron RFTLW) – Point Buy 22. Multiattack 3, 3HD, advantage to resist a bunch of statuses, and solid physical stats make this a good statblock for a bruiser. One of its multiattack weapons is a hand crossbow. CBE+SS+Archery FS+Attacker Martial Role? (CBE doesn’t work with Multiattack, but Multiattack carries you until you have Extra Attack 3 and a spare feat to burn on CBE.) If you’re willing to forgo the Attacker Martial Role, you can go Expert for a slightly worse damage dealer who has a huge pile of skills and bonus actions. An Expert still gets 6 ASIs, which is enough to go PAM-Sentinel using a Multiattack 3 spear if the crossbow build doesn’t tickle your fancy. Too bad it’s chaotic evil.

Kalashtar (Eberron RFTLW) – Point Buy: 32 (after backing out racials). Bonkers stats, 3 HD, 3 skills (including what looks like Expertise in Persuasion), psychic resistance, short-range telepathy, a pseudo-cantrip attack, and a substitute for Wisdom save proficiency give you a grab bag of useful but not overpowering abilities. I’d actually run this as a sidekick if I was DMing. Both Expert and Spellcaster look good to take advantage of the high Wisdom and Charisma—I might go with Spellcaster here and grab all of the psionic feats and spells in Tasha’s. That might make this guy actually feel like a psionicist and a unique member of the party, but not strong enough to upstage any PC.

Shifter (Eberron RFTLW) – Point Buy: 30 (after backing out racials). 4 skill proficiencies, good Dex and Wis, and 3 HD make this a good base statblock for a rangery type of character. It doesn’t strongly lend itself to any specific sidekick class, however.

Valenar Hound (Eberron RFTLW) – Point Buy: 41. Incredible base stats for a CR ½ creature. This guy makes a terrific animal companion, with its innate telepathy, bite knockdown, and Keen Senses bonus. The Valenar animals also get an interesting bonus trait, detailed on page 313 of the book. The Hawk and Horse are equally powerful. None of them can speak, so they can’t be Spellcasters or Experts. But you were going to go Warrior anyway with that juicy 17 Str, right?

X. Notable Statblocks – Guildmaster’s Guide to Ravnica

Frontline Medic (GGTR) – Point Buy: 29 (before racials). This guy is just busted broken strong. Essentially, this is a 3rd-level cleric rolled into a CR ¼ body. It gets 3 HD, plate and shield proficiency, 2 skills (1 expertise), and slots and cantrips as a 3rd-level full spellcaster, before even taking any sidekick class levels. With Str 15 and Con 14, it is ready-made to roll immediately into Warrior. Alternately, you could go Expert and have a very survivable meatshield in the front line, spamming healing kits and help actions. Spellcaster is of course a waste of the statblock’s built-in Spellcasting feature.

Since the Frontline Medic is a humanoid (race any), you should be able to pile racial traits onto this statblock as well. Unfortunately, I can’t figure out how this is costed at CR ¼--based on my math it should be at least CR ½. Giving it +2 Con won’t push it over any threshold for HP, and +2 Wis doesn’t push it over any offensive threshold. By that reasoning, you should be able to make this a DMG p. 282 Dwarf and give it +2 Con and +2 Wis without going over the limit. However, Dwarves don’t appear to exist in Ravnica (despite being associated with Red mana in MTG) so you might have to make this a Minotaur (which isn’t on p. 282). Then it’s the DM’s call if +2 Str and +1 Con push this past CR ½.

Regardless, the Frontline Medic-Warrior 20 compares favorably to something like a Champion 17/Life Cleric 3 over a full 20-level career. It will match the 3 APR from the Champion levels and the low-level utility casting of the cleric levels. While it’s probably not as strong as the full-powered PC classes, it comes very close and is in fact more capable at lower levels. Pick up Ritual Caster: Cleric to really make it feel like a fighter-priest. Not bad for a sidekick.

Kraul Warrior (GGTR) – Point Buy: 23. Natural AC 18, 5 HD, and Pack Tactics. Not bad if you are looking for an insect guy that functions similarly to a Thug.

Rubblebelt Stalker (GGTR) – Point Buy: 24 (before racials). Just as overpowered as his Boros brother, the Gruul Rubblebelt Stalker piles a bunch of quality features into a CR ½ chassis. 2 HD and 3 skills are just the beginning. This guy comes out of the gate with Multiattack 3 (shortsword), a faux-approximation of a pure Fighter’s level 11 ability. On top of that, it gets four other features, two of which are quite good (Ambusher and Nimble Escape) and two that are situational. Needless to say, there is no point going Warrior on this guy as the level 15 ability is already achieved at level 1. Better to go Spellcaster, and get something that plays like a fighter/mage or a gish.

Rubblebelt Stalker-Spellcaster compares favorably to something like EK 11/Wizard 9. Both get 3 attacks and access to 5th-level spells. Like the Frontline Medic, it’s not as powerful as a PC using full-power classes, but it’s close. I think the best build here is to go for weapon buffs on top of the shortsword (3) using the Wizard list, but a Prodigy base comes online earlier with Hex and Armor of Agathys. The statblock also starts with 14 Wis if you wanted to go in the Healer direction.

An interesting trick that PC classes can’t easily replicate is stacking the Siege Monster ability with a spell that does structural damage.

*Note: Much like the hilariously undercosted Frontline Medic, the offensive CR of the Rubblebelt Stalker (15 damage, +4 to hit) alone should put this at CR 1. If you’re going to add a race to it, better to go with something that doesn’t boost Dexterity or damage further. Of course, if you’re the DM, it doesn’t matter. But just know that this stat block shouldn’t really qualify to be a sidekick under the spirit of the rules.

Simic Hybrid Spy (GGTR) – Point Buy: 28 (after backing out racials). 4 HD, some movement abilities, a couple skills, starting Dex 17, and Multiattack 2. Good foundation for an Expert.

XI. Notable Statblocks – Volo’s Guide to Monsters

Darkling (VGTM) – Point Buy: 24. 4 skills, Stealth Expertise, 3 HD. The standard dagger attack contains a built-in 2d6 sneak attack. Taking the Expert’s full damage effects into consideration, the Darkling gives you dagger+mod+6d6 potential damage at level 20. 2/3rds of the Rogue’s functionality isn’t too bad.

Vegepygmy (VGTM) – Point Buy: 11. Atrocious stats, but Regeneration 3 and some interesting resistances make this statblock worth looking at. All things considered, having all of Int, Str and Cha as dump stats don’t matter that much—the vegepgymy’s Dex and Con are high enough to be a functional character. There are synergies with both the Warrior and Expert here. Expert’s evasion can help avoid AOE fire and cold effects that would shut down the vegepygmy’s regeneration, while the Warrior’s shield and medium armor proficiency improve the EHP through better armor class and build towards being a Dex control build.

Alternately, you can wear heavy armor as a Warrior, eat the movement penalty, and take Heavy Armor Master, for even more raw damage absorption. In this case, you still pump ASIs into Dexterity and eventually take Sharpshooter—this effectively makes the vegepygmy an immobile, survivable, damage-dealing turret.

Thematically, this would be an appropriate follower for a spore druid.

XII. Notable Statblocks – Others

I’ll write more about these when I get time.
Shadow (many resistances, strength drain)
Flying sword (5 HD, many immunities)
Pseudodragon (not that useful?)
Lizardfolk MM (4 HD, multiattack, natural armor, 15 str, AC 15 shield prof)
Scorchbringer guard –
Chitine – (multiattack 3 daggers, web movement)
Firenewt warrior (multiattack 2, 4 HD, fire immunity,
Gnoll hunter (st/dex 14, multiattack 2,
Grung – VGTM (poison skin, leap, use as grappler)
Kobold inventor VGTM (excellent as caster or expert)

MaxWilson
2020-11-25, 02:47 PM
Hey there,

I'm still thinking over the ideas you present, but I just wanted to compliment your approach: explain up front why you're interested in sidekicks, give some general thoughts on each class (I like your "% of an X" framework) and the motivation for optimizing (preventing deadweight), and call out monsters with notable force multipliers.

It's very well-organized and readable. I never thought sidekicks were interesting before (if I want to give players a Slaad companion, why do I need special rules for it?) but this framework of trying to overcome the inherent deficit is definitely interesting even if it never affects my actual game. Vegepygmy warrior is definitely super-interesting as a tank, and IMO Pixie is also interesting as a Warrior (Sharpshooter) due to constant invisibility. (I see no indication in the MM that a Pixie Warrior would be unable to use weapons, any more than they are forced to run away--the fluff text says they "abhor weapons" but it's clearly in connection with the idea of general pacifism.)

I may have more to say after I chew on this a bit, but wanted you to know your post is appreciated.

-Max

LordShade
2020-11-26, 11:48 AM
Hi Max,

Thanks for the kind words. I wonder what % of tables use sidekicks or followers in their games, or how many players are interested in controlling or roleplaying multiple characters at once. It was always something I liked, but maybe it's not widespread.

MaxWilson
2020-11-26, 01:37 PM
On the relative dearth of interest in sidekicks so far...

Speaking as a DM, the most annoying thing about the sidekick rules is the same thing that makes this thread interesting: the arbitrary constraint on initial CR. There's absolutely no reason why a Grizzly Bear, a Red Dragon Wyrmling or a Grey Render might not be just as good of a sidekick, from a roleplaying stance, as a Pixie or a Dolgrim or a Warhorse or an Acolyte or a Vegepygmy. There isn't even any good game balance justification--a Brown Bear is NOT a stronger warrior than a Pixie. Nor is there really any need for special classes--I could just make that Grey Render an actual Champion, with or without stripping off resource-driven abilities like Action Surge and Second Wind depending on how complex I want it to be. From a DM perspective this makes the sidekick rules look like a solution in search of a problem.

But those arbitrary constraints do make this thread interesting.

Three additional comments about Vegepygmies:

(1) I don't think Evasion for shutting down regeneration is a big deal, since it only shuts down regeneration for 1 round anyway, and most of your regeneration will happen between combats.

(2) Even if you do go the Heavy Armor route, you can take Mobile feat and/or use Longstrider from a PC in critical battles to regain that mobility.

(3) I like the Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter + Fighting Style (Archery) combo on Vegepygmies because high DPR encourages enemies to go after you (making it the regeneration aspect more impactful), but Crossbow Expert prevents them from penalizing you if they do.

On a related note, Boggles and Skulks are also interesting sidekicks: the Skulk as yet another Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert combo like a pixie, except that unlike a Pixie you're not restricted from using longbows due to size*, and the Boggle as a wall-crawling, teleporting Sharpshooter or potentially a healer. * Technically only Small creatures have disadvantage when using heavy weapons like longbows, not Tiny creatures... but the intent is clear.

[thinks]

Yeah, that's about all I've got to say for now about the Tasha's sidekick rules. Sorry I don't have more.

JackPhoenix
2020-11-26, 03:54 PM
IThis guide assumes that the optional feats for ASIs rule is being used, and moreover, that sidekicks can spend their ASIs on feats. I haven’t seen anything in the PHB or in Tasha’s that suggests that sidekicks shouldn’t be able to use feats.

Well, every PHB class' (and Artificer, so it can't be just waved off as a neglect in the entire book) ASI mentions you can take feat instead of increasing the ability score(s). Sidekick classes lack that text. That strongly suggest replacing ASI with feats is not an option for sidekicks.

MaxWilson
2020-11-26, 04:20 PM
Well, every PHB class' (and Artificer, so it can't be just waved off as a neglect in the entire book) ASI mentions you can take feat instead of increasing the ability score(s). Sidekick classes lack that text. That strongly suggest replacing ASI with feats is not an option for sidekicks.

My PHB doesn't say that. E.g. PHB page 72 (Fighters) says:

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 6th, 8th, 12th, 14th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

No mention of feats there.

Even more to the point, Tasha's page 13 (Artificer ASIs) also does not mention feats, so sidekicks and Artificers are treated exactly the same by Tasha's.

JackPhoenix
2020-11-26, 05:10 PM
My PHB doesn't say that. E.g. PHB page 72 (Fighters) says:

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 6th, 8th, 12th, 14th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

No mention of feats there.

Even more to the point, Tasha's page 13 (Artificer ASIs) also does not mention feats, so sidekicks and Artificers are treated exactly the same by Tasha's.

Derp, that's what I get for being lazy and using internet sources instead of walking to the other side of the room and picking up a book. Even when the later would've been faster, considering my current connection speed.

And I've had to get the book anyway in the end, to check if there's a difference between 1st printing and SRD.

LordShade
2020-11-26, 06:59 PM
What book is the Skulk in?

MaxWilson
2020-11-26, 07:30 PM
What book is the Skulk in?

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Notable qualities include: Dex 18, 4d8 HP, CR 1/2, AC 14 (from Dex), Chaotic Neutral alignment, IIRC +6 to attack and d4+4 slashing damage plus 2d6 necrotic if attacking with advantage, and inherent invisibility except

(1) to humanoid children under the age of ten or in specific circumstances,
(2) IIRC in the light of a candle rendered from a dead man's fat or something, or
(3) when reflected in a mirror.

When seen they look like faceless grey humanoids. Sometimes skulks take over whole towns and listlessly imitate the actions of the people they are replacing.

A lot of WotC's monsters are pretty boring but I think the skulk is relatively interesting, wish other WotC monsters had as much unique flavor to make them recognizably distinct from each other outside of combat.

Willowhelm
2020-11-26, 11:31 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to really optimise/break/cheese the sidekick rules. I skimmed available creatures on DnD beyond and apart from the boggle, which has already been mentioned, my mind caught on a handful of others. They all have a language they can speak so i believe they can be spellcasters or experts:

The geonid has this fun ability:
Boulder Guise. While fully withdrawn into its shell, the geonid can’t see and is indistinguishable from a small boulder.

Somewhere on the battlefield you have a rock (With AC 17) concentrating on something really irritating. Perhaps darkness (which it can ignore with its tremorsense) or just being a scout (expert) with fantastic camouflage?

blink dogs teleporting around and firing off spells would be fun. Especially as a mount for your gnome.

And, of course, your own pet Juvenile Mimic

I haven't fully digested the sidekick rules and restrictions but it definitely opens up a lot of fun RAW options without homebrew or DM hand waving (even if they aren't super optimised)

saintstardust
2020-12-16, 02:32 AM
Great resource LordShade! I wanted to get your thoughts on how templates like Half-Dragon and spells like awaken might factor into the base statblock choices.

Monster Manuel
2020-12-16, 08:43 AM
A small nitpick about that Pixie sidekick...

The 1HP issue is only really an issue for the pixie at 1st level. Remember that according to the Tasha's rules, a sidekick joins the party at the same level as the characters' average level. If a 5th level party picks up a Pixie pal, and it becomes a spellcaster, they aren't coming to the table with 1 HP, but with 5d4+5*con-mod HPs. For our pixie friend, with a -1 con mod, this is still only going to look like about 5 HP on average, but it's not 1. Are they weak? Absolutely. The recommendation to focus on survivability, and maybe pump an ASI into Con ASAP is still a very, very good one if you want it to stay alive. But unless they players are starting right out of the gate with a pixie as a starter pokemo- I mean, sidekick, it'll never actually have just that 1 HP from the statblock.

(Side note - I think that starting a sidekick at average party level is a mistake, and they should use the rules for followers in the DMG where they get a share of the party's XP, and play catch-up. But that's a point for a discussion thread, not feedback on a guide, so I'll leave it there)

Great guide overall, and some excellent ideas. Thanks for putting it together!

Protolisk
2020-12-16, 12:49 PM
I am having my group make a party of solely Sidekicks as a side story for a campaign to mesh with the full campaign, and I opened it up to be accessible to any creature in any official book. While some wanted fun ideas like a Flumph, which really isn't powerful at all, to a fair creature like Worg. One player found the Pixie as a spellcaster and we came to the same conclusion that it can be very powerful if it takes Eldritch Blast, though it goes against the innate nature of Pixies.

One player however found the Psychic Gray Ooze variant in the Monster Manual, but crossed with the Sentient Gray Ooze in the Tales from the Yawning Portal. I found no problem with allowing it. He chose Warrior as the class for it. I wonder what your thoughts are on it.

It has abysmal AC, but the player is anticipating the ooze acting as a health and debuff tank against enemies that use manufactured weapons and armor, as unlike a Rust Monster, he can talk off the bat as well as reduce metal based AC with his attacks instead of splitting up his attack and item destruction ability, like the Rust Monster does. The "Psychic" variant ooze doesn't increase CR, and for its part adds the emergency ability to deal psychic damage if needed, so its not required for the build. After taking the Sentinel feat, he can attack enemies with his reaction if they don't hit him, or still reduce enemy effectiveness for enemies weapon bonuses when they do hit him. And they probably will, because again, abysmal AC. Also, even though it has very low dexterity which makes its AC low, it has expertise in Stealth, combined with its False Appearance feature makes it an interesting scout option. I didn't expect that.

It's not the best option, and relies entirely on its health to do its job as a tank, but it has 16 in CON naturally and each level gives it more hit dice, so it will get a lot of HP fast. It also resists a lot of common damage magical damage types (acid, cold, fire), as well as being immune to many common conditions, and has blindsight to boot.

They already know they are fighting a good amount of humanoid enemies for a good chunk of the game, but outside of equipment using enemies it probably doesn't work quite as well. There are also a good amount of creatures that use weapons that aren't humanoid, so it won't be weakened if out of its element. It does make me wonder though. Certain enemies, like angels and devils, make their "weapon attacks" magical, not exactly the "weapon" magical. Would that mean that the Ooze would affect them as well? If so, I think the Gray Ooze is effective even into late game.

LordShade
2020-12-20, 12:55 AM
One player however found the Psychic Gray Ooze variant in the Monster Manual, but crossed with the Sentient Gray Ooze in the Tales from the Yawning Portal. I found no problem with allowing it. He chose Warrior as the class for it. I wonder what your thoughts are on it.

It has abysmal AC, but the player is anticipating the ooze acting as a health and debuff tank against enemies that use manufactured weapons and armor, as unlike a Rust Monster, he can talk off the bat as well as reduce metal based AC with his attacks instead of splitting up his attack and item destruction ability, like the Rust Monster does. The "Psychic" variant ooze doesn't increase CR, and for its part adds the emergency ability to deal psychic damage if needed, so its not required for the build. After taking the Sentinel feat, he can attack enemies with his reaction if they don't hit him, or still reduce enemy effectiveness for enemies weapon bonuses when they do hit him. And they probably will, because again, abysmal AC. Also, even though it has very low dexterity which makes its AC low, it has expertise in Stealth, combined with its False Appearance feature makes it an interesting scout option. I didn't expect that.

It's not the best option, and relies entirely on its health to do its job as a tank, but it has 16 in CON naturally and each level gives it more hit dice, so it will get a lot of HP fast. It also resists a lot of common damage magical damage types (acid, cold, fire), as well as being immune to many common conditions, and has blindsight to boot.

They already know they are fighting a good amount of humanoid enemies for a good chunk of the game, but outside of equipment using enemies it probably doesn't work quite as well. There are also a good amount of creatures that use weapons that aren't humanoid, so it won't be weakened if out of its element. It does make me wonder though. Certain enemies, like angels and devils, make their "weapon attacks" magical, not exactly the "weapon" magical. Would that mean that the Ooze would affect them as well? If so, I think the Gray Ooze is effective even into late game.

This is a cool idea--would love to hear how this campaign goes. I agree with your players' take on the gray ooze. The biggest issues are the AC (which could normally be fixed by wearing heavy armor, despite low Dex) and the low mobility. You might be able to fix the survivability issue by having another player cast Barkskin on the ooze, or allow the ooze to wear some kind of hide armor (I have no idea how this would work), or let the ooze use a feat to learn the Barbarian's Unarmored Defense. One other problem, though, is that the starting Strength is also low--4 of 6 feats will have to go into Strength ASIs in order to max its attacking stat. And for that, all you are getting is a 3d6+5 pseudopod--not a terrible attack, but not that special either.

For a creature that has low physical stats, and mid-range mental stats, I think Expert is actually the way to go. Expert's power budget is the least tied to ability scores out of the 3 sidekick classes. Its 4d6 "sneak attack" damage only half depends on its own hit chance--2d6 of the damage comes from an ally's action. What you could do with the Expert is take the Aberrant Dragonmark feat to cast a sorcerer cantrip using Con, and then just go con ASIs and full-on support feats like Healer (healing slime).

With respect to the angelic and demonic weapons, as a DM I personally would rule that they get corroded. I'd treat the "magic" of the weapons as useful for penetrating nonmagical resistances, while held by the outsider. The weapons are still inherently nonmagical, in my view.

LordShade
2020-12-20, 01:14 AM
Great resource LordShade! I wanted to get your thoughts on how templates like Half-Dragon and spells like awaken might factor into the base statblock choices.

I didn't know about Awaken--this is cool! Thanks for pointing it out. I don't think 10 Int suddenly makes any statblock an effective spellcaster though. Expert might be good. Just doing a quick glance through the basic animals, Awakening a Giant Frog would give you Expertise on the strange grapple/swallow ability, allowing this sidekick to just eat pesky enemy goblins. Giant Poisonous Snake (starting Dex 18 with a 3d6 poison attack) is also interesting, but probably as a Warrior.

I need to spend some more time thinking about the half-dragon template. I'm not entirely sure how it works, as the example Half-Dragon Veteran in the MM is considered to have a typo in the CR. I'd assume though, that any CR 1/8 or lower stat block can be a half-dragon without going over CR 1/2. But we need to spend more time looking at it.

MaxWilson
2020-12-20, 02:22 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to really optimise/break/cheese the sidekick rules.

Jackalwere sidekicks aren't broken enough for you?

rlc
2020-12-20, 08:42 AM
Darkling sidekick (warrior? expert?) doesn’t matter, multiclassed with a rogue (archetype doesn’t matter, but probably not phantom) for 2 extra sneak attack dice.
At least, I think sidekicks can multi class now.

LordShade
2020-12-20, 08:43 PM
Darkling sidekick (warrior? expert?) doesn’t matter, multiclassed with a rogue (archetype doesn’t matter, but probably not phantom) for 2 extra sneak attack dice.
At least, I think sidekicks can multi class now.

To me, the rules imply they can't--other classes have stat minimums explicitly called out as multiclassing requirements. Second, the rules say that the DM chooses the class the sidekick will have "for the rest of its career."

Moreover, if they COULD multiclass... why would you ever stay in Warrior if you could multiclass to Fighter, or Spellcaster to Cleric/Mage, or Expert to Rogue?

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-20, 10:03 PM
In our SKT game we've got a Tressym who we wanted to bring along and thought it made sense to make into a Sidekick. We put Warrior on him since he can't talk and doesn't have hands. Unfortunately his claws only deal 1 damage, so he's not actually any good as a warrior. So far we've used him to scout a bit with his natural Tressym abilities, and we've had a tiny harness made to strap a bag of tricks to him so he can use his actions gambling on those summoned animals for us.

LordShade
2020-12-21, 02:45 AM
So I spent some time looking at the half-dragon template. The description in the SRD was easier for me to understand. From what I can tell, these are the abilities a half-dragon gets:

1. Blindsight 10' - doesn't affect CR
2. One resistance to an element - doesn't affect CR unless the statblock already has 2-3 resistances
3. Speaks draconic - doesn't affect CR, but may make certain statblocks eligible for Expert or Spellcaster
4. A breath weapon - doesn't affect CR if the creature is already above 2, 7 or 8 CR (affects the power of the breath weapon you can add)

I'll assume we're only talking about Wyrmling breath weapons for now, since anything stronger will almost certainly push a creature past CR 1/2. Here's my math:

1. Wyrmling breath weapons range from 14 (brass) to 24 (red) damage.
2. DMG says assume a breath weapon hits two targets and both fail their save, so 28-48 damage range.
3. DMG says assume a breath weapon is used once every three rounds, so to get the expected DPR, take the statblock's base damage for two rounds, the breath weapon for one round, and divide by three.
4. I am not sure how to weight the metallic dragons' nondamaging breath weapons. I assume the default HD template doesn't get these.
4b. As a side note, I believe dragons' breath weapon DCs scale with Con. DC = 8+PB+Con mod

So right off the bat this is abusable. Take a statblock like the Magewright, with CR 0, damage 0, and solid base stats. You can add a half-red wyrmling to this and get expected DPR of (0+0+48)/3 = 16. This pushes the offensive CR up to 2, but the defensive CR is still 0, so the final CR is (2+0)/2 = 1, so no go.

But what if we pick a weaker breath weapon? We have 10 different choices, after all. The cutoff for offensive CR 2 is 15 points of damage, so to stay at offensive CR 1, we just need to find a breath weapon that maxes out at 14*3=42 /2 = 21 base damage. Gold, Blue, Black and White wyrmlings do 22 damage, so they are out, but a Green wyrmling does 21 base damage. Voila! This is offensive CR 1, so averaged with defensive CR 0, this Half-Green Magewright is now a CR 1/2 creature and eligible to be a sidekick. You can also give it racial abilities (e.g. DMG page 282 Dwarf or Gnome) and still keep its CR constant.

Now let's look at the other extreme, the Brass dragon. Maybe we don't care about the breath weapon damage and are only interested in picking up a free resistance to fire and blindsight. Brass wyrmling damage = 14 * 2 = 28. This can be averaged in with any statblock that has a hit chance of +4 or less and average DPR of 7 (7+7+28 = 42 / 3 = 14 DPR) and stay within offensive CR 1. Standouts like Scout and Thug are too powerful for this, but the Noble (CR 1+defensive CR 1/8 = 1.125 / 2 = round down to CR 2) works. And the Noble's already pretty good (and undercosted at CR 1/8, as I realize while doing this math--it should be CR 1/4). The Noble can even be a Dragonborn and have two separate breath weapons, as +2 Str/+1 Cha plus the Dragonborn racials won't affect its CR. Acolyte also works, defensive CR 0, offensive CR 1/4. An Acolyte can safely upgrade to Half-Bronze (5+5+16x2 = 42) and still stay within offensive CR 1.

There are probably a lot of other statblocks where you can pick these low-tier breath weapons and still get away with being under CR 1/2. I think the ones really worth looking at are the utility-based statblocks, since they already have low damage--stuff like Sprite or Pixie. I don't know if dragons are supposed to produce offspring with fairies, but hey, this is an optimization board. Combined with Awaken cheese like Saintstardust above suggested, there might be room for something like an Awakened Half-Dragon Stirge or Blood Hawk to be a decent sidekick. In general, keep an eye out for interesting CR 0-1/4 creatures that are very weak offensively.

Also, I think the Expert is the class that benefits the most from picking up the template. Warriors and Spellcasters already have good main actions to take, but that's where the Expert was mostly lacking. However, the breath weapon is solid damage for any class. Take a look at the wyrmling breath damages below:

Red - 24 (7d6 fire)
Gold - 22 (4d10 fire)
White - 22 (5d8 cold)
Blue - 22 (4d10 lightning)
Black - 22 (5d8 acid)
Green - 21 (6d6 poison)
Copper - 18 (4d6 acid)
Silver - 18 (4d8 cold)
Bronze - 16 (3d10 lightning)
Brass - 14 (4d6 fire)

...even the low-tier breath weapons are the damage equivalent of level 17 cantrips! And they're AOE! And they scale with Con! The Half-Green wyrmling's breath is a budget fireball with Recharge 5-6! That's crazy on a level 1 idiot NPC follower.

*btw, I want to dedicate this post to Saintstardust. Thank you for prodding me to take a closer look at Awaken and Half-Dragons.

rlc
2020-12-21, 06:51 AM
To me, the rules imply they can't--other classes have stat minimums explicitly called out as multiclassing requirements. Second, the rules say that the DM chooses the class the sidekick will have "for the rest of its career."

Moreover, if they COULD multiclass... why would you ever stay in Warrior if you could multiclass to Fighter, or Spellcaster to Cleric/Mage, or Expert to Rogue?

Those are fair assumptions to make.
As for the final question, you’d avoid multi-classing to maintain the simplicity of the sidekick class, especially if the dm is the one controlling the sidekick.

MaxWilson
2020-12-21, 09:24 AM
Those are fair assumptions to make.
As for the final question, you’d avoid multi-classing to maintain the simplicity of the sidekick class, especially if the dm is the one controlling the sidekick.

Since Warriors already get per-rest Indomitable and Second Wind, they are not really simpler than Champions, Cavaliers, or even Samurai. If WotC was aiming for simplicity they missed.

Unoriginal
2020-12-21, 10:13 AM
Since Warriors already get per-rest Indomitable and Second Wind, they are not really simpler than Champions, Cavaliers, or even Samurai. If WotC was aiming for simplicity they missed.

Cavaliers and Samurai have abilities more complex than Indomitable and Second Wind (notably in what circumstances they can trigger), though, so the Warrior is still simpler than those. And the Champion has more abilities, so it's still more complex overall, even if the abilities are about as straightforward as possible. You can also argue that the simple fact of choosing a subclass at lvl 3 by itself adds more complexity than what the Warrior class has.

Furthermore, even if there were PC classes/subclasses as simple as the sidekick classes, it wouldn't remove the simplicity of said sidekick classes, so what rlc talked about still applies: allowing multiclassing adds much more complexity in how you can build the character.

That being said, I doubt simplicity was the goal. I think they were aiming for "useful but not overshadowing or bothersome to run".

rlc
2020-12-21, 01:13 PM
Yeah, if simplicity were the only goal, they could’ve just said to increase hit dice and add a skill, an attack or a feat every few levels.
They wanted to reach a happy medium, but that’s obviously up to interpretation on whether or not they did.

LordShade
2021-01-17, 04:02 PM
Some more statblocks...

Additional statblocks (mostly from modules)

Night Blade (Baldur’s Gate) – This is the most broken sidekick statblock I have seen thus far. Unremarkable stats, the most notable of which are 40’ movespeed and Stealth expertise, but the unique Aura of Murder inflicts piercing damage vulnerability on any hostile creature within 5’. Obviously, this doubles the damage of any piercing-based damage build the Night Blade Warrior would use—shield+rapier, dual short swords, or point-blank XBE+SS. This alone makes it twice as good as any standard Warrior sidekick…

…but doesn’t take into account how piercing vulnerability can be abused by the PCs. Have a Gloomstalker, Samurai, or Battlemaster Sharpshooter in the party? Any rogue? A Shield Master+Spear+PAM Barbarian? A gnome Battlesmith dual-wielding lances? Congratulations, all of them just had their damage doubled on any target standing next to the Night Blade. This even makes the Piercer feat less terrible. Given how powerful this ability is for PC allies, I might even build the Night Blade as a Spellcaster or Expert with only one job—get in close to the enemy boss using stealth, invisibility, teleports, mobile+dash, or whatever, and stay on top of him at any cost, with grapples, or stuns, or anything. Then let the Elven Accuracy Fighting Spirit Sharpshooter Samurai do 367472881 damage to him in one round.

I'm still waiting for someone to really optimise/break/cheese the sidekick rules.

Good enough for you?

Needle Spawn – 17 Dex, 13 Wis, Multiattack 1d6 (hmm), stealth, a bunch of condition immunities, and can make ranged attacks in melee without disadvantage. No point in going Warrior since it already has the best feature. An Expert or Spellcaster can pick up Archery fighting style for better hit chance. Spirit Shroud is an excellent way to boost damage here. In general, I like Spellcaster for any statblock that has a built-in Multiattack 3+ that can be buffed with concentration spells.

Cackler – this creature has terrible stats, but lot of resistances and a couple innate spells. Interesting, but not exactly strong.

Ixitxachitl Cleric – this is a 5th-level cleric (equivalent to 9 levels in the Spellcaster sidekick class), but somehow only ¼ CR. I guess the balancing factor is that its spell list is pretty weak. If you could find a way to get this guy onto land, and deal with its chaotic evil alignment, it would make a pretty good Expert after investing in Magic Initiate, Fey Touched and/or Shadow Touched. Its base damage is low enough to pick up a half-dragon template (a bronze dragon mated with an ixitxachitl [why?], making it lawful good and able to crawl on land? [how?])

Barovian Witch (Curse of Strahd) – the next best generic Spellcasting statblock after the Frontline Medic. The Witch is a 3rd-level wizard with decent spells, equivalent to six levels in the Spellcaster sidekick class. Obviously, don’t pick Spellcaster or you throw away six levels of free progression. Expert+Fey Touched makes this a decent Bless bot, casting Ray of Frost to trigger the coordinated attack.

Boggle (Volo’s) – A super interesting statblock. Starting 18 Dex, some rogue skills, and its unique oil abilities and dimensional rift. As an Expert, this is perhaps an ideal thief. Since it’s not very smart, this would be a fun sidekick to give to a PC rogue who is a thieves’ guild leader. The PC can figure out how to use the Boggle’s unusual abilities in various criminal schemes.

Killmoulis (Mordenkainen’s) – Another very interesting statblock. 19 Dex, Stealth Expertise, telepathy, but the main feature is a 1/day budget Inspiring Leader that also improves Hit Dice recovery. With the Healer feat, this creature can probably take care of most of the party’s healing needs, with or without taking the Healer Spellcaster class.

Tabaxi Minstrel (Tomb of Annihilation) – very nice stats overall, including 15 Dex and 16 Cha, along with 5 HD and Performance expertise. Gets the Tabaxi movement and multiattack 2 with weak weapons, but the really unique thing is that it gets a 1/day budget Inspiring Leader use. Like the Killmoulis, it’s not as good as the full feat, but it’s something. The stats are well-rounded enough that this can pursue any sidekick class.

Chwinga – magical gift 1/day, guidance, resistance, Pass without trace at will, but can only be a warrior since it doesn’t have any languages. Can’t make attacks or communicate. If it somehow got the ability to speak, it would be a good spellcaster. I really don’t know what to make of this statblock.

Darkling – appears to have +2d6 damage on each dagger attack if it has advantage, with no 1/turn limit like sneak attack. Dual wield daggers as a Warrior, or make a knife-thrower build. Stealth expertise, 16 dex, sunlight sensitivity, blindsight 30, darkvision 120. With Extra Attack (3) and dual-wield, this is 4 attacks per round at 1d4+5+2d6, or a total of 4d4+20+8d6. This easily outdamages a Rogue.

Skulk – 19 Dex, stealth expertise, what appears to be a very strong form of Invisibility, trackless, darkvision 120, and con save proficiency. +2d6 necrotic on claw attacks if the Skulk has advantage, and doesn’t appear to have a 1/turn limit. If claws (it’s described as a melee weapon attack) can be dual wielded, this is a better version of the darkling. Regardless, since the damage scales with multiple attacks, this is an excellent Warrior and even makes a really good melee/ranged switch hitter. With a starting 19 Dex, you can freely dump feats into Sharpshooter, Archery, or whatever.

Necromite of Myrkul (BG) – has the highest starting intelligence (16) of any humanoid stat block below CR ½. A Gnome Apprentice Wizard also has a 16, but the Necromite has better stats.

Rock Gnome Recluse (Icespire Peak) – Basically a better Apprentice Wizard. Better stats, more and better spells. Still not a powerful statblock overall.

Ooze-Folk (Lost Laboratory of Kwalish) – an interesting statblock with 20 Con and a bunch of immunities. It has terrible stats otherwise (1 intelligence) and can only be a warrior. Might make a good tank, if you could explain what tanking is to it.

Albino Dwarf Warrior (Tomb of Annihilation) – starts with 4 HD and 17 Con. Might be able to build a Con-based Expert casting a Con cantrip from Aberrant Dragonmark from this.

Gazer – this is explicitly described as a creature that can become a familiar. It has some interesting attacks, Wis saving throws, and okay-ish stats. Since it can’t hold weapons, it can’t do much damage as a Warrior, but since it can’t speak (and has 3 int), it can’t be an Expert or Spellcaster either. Since it’s an aberration, you can’t Awaken it. If you could figure out a way to get it eligible for Expert or Spellcaster, it would be pretty good.

Young Hill Giant/Young Ogre (Yawning Portal) – these guys have stats identical to the Orc statblock, and therefore make decent Warriors out of the box. But what happens when a Young Hill Giant Warrior grows up? Do you get a sidekick with 10d12+40 base HP, 21 base strength, 19 base con, and the ability to use a 6d6 greatsword 3x round? PAM and Sentinel with Huge size reach look really good. GWM isn’t even necessary.

Young Griffon (Icewind Dale) – Same cheese here, except this one has 80’ flight, Multiattack 2 and 16 Con.

Pirate Bosun (Saltmarsh) – 16 Str and advantage on all Strength checks make this an excellent Shield Master Warrior. Solid 5 HD too.

Fist of Bane (Baldur’s Gate) – an even better Pirate Bosun. 16 Str, with chain mail and shield proficiency, 4 HD, and the godly “Tactical Discipline” ability, which grants advantage on all saving throws and ability checks made during combat, make this a well-rounded statblock that can go in any direction. As a Warrior, it can go into any standard Strength build, but with better defenses. As an Expert, with Athletics Expertise, it’s a superior grappler. As a Spellcaster, it has advantage on Con checks to maintain concentration and excellent AC. Like most powerful stat blocks, it’s evil 

Winged Thrull (GGR) – possibly the best tank sidekick in the game! As a reaction, the Thrull can swap places with any creature within 5’ that was hit by an attack and absorb the attack instead, with unlimited uses. 7 HD, flight, 15 Dex, Dex saves (!) and poison and exhaustion immunity round out the Thrull’s defenses. Since it can’t speak, it can only be a Warrior. Pump Dex and go with any damage build, XBE+SS if protecting backliners, or shield+dueling if protecting frontliners.

Sacred Stone Monk (Princes of the Apoc) – a CR ½ Monk with 14 Wis, 40’ move, Multiattack 2 with punches, and Parry make this a good foundation for a Healer or an Expert.

Orc Nurtured One of Yurtrus (Volo’s) – a hilarious statblock with a unique corpse explosion ability. A truly stinky cheese would be to pair this with a PC that has a lot of spammable, low-level healing, combined with some decent AOE ability. For example, this guy runs into a mob of enemies and blows himself up for 4d6 AOE poison damage. The PC Celestial Warlock bonus action heals him up from 0 HP, then casts Eldtrich Blast, saving one beam for the Nurtured One and blows him up again for another 4d6 damage. Rinse, repeat. Stupid? Yes. Funny? Absolutely!

Skeletal Alchemist (Saltmarsh) – Good Con and Int, magic resistance, 5 HD and Multiattack 2 with thrown acid might make this an interesting Spellcaster or Expert sidekick for a necromancer PC. The acid attack is more thematic than special—it’s just 1d8+1 damage.

Named NPCs from modules less than CR 1/2

Published adventure modules have a lot of NPCs that players can encounter. Most of these use generic statblocks, with Commoner, Noble, Scout, and Acolyte the most common, in that order. However, some of these have unique combinations of abilities and fall below ½ CR. If playing the module, it’s entirely possible that the PCs might recruit some of these characters to help out. I don’t use published adventures, but as a DM, they’re a good source of inspiration for building NPC followers.

*Special note: The NPCs in Storm King’s Thunder don’t have challenge ratings listed, probably because they’re not intended to fight against the PCs. I’m not including most of those NPCs here. However, some of them do look like they fall into the CR ½ range. I’ll note those where relevant.

Spellix Romwod (Icewind Dale) – the best spellcasting statblock available after the Pixie, but without the Pixie’s pronounced weaknesses. Has 3 cantrips, 5 casts of 1st level spells, 1 2nd level spell, all innate so they don’t get overwritten by the Spellcaster’s progression. Great stats too—6/15/14/15/9/16 and 6 HD. Gnome Cunning protects the 9 Wisdom. Best as a budget Warlock, since his innate spells (look like Sorcerer) scale off Charisma, but could be a decent mage too. If only he was a deep gnome—Svirfneblin magic would be a nice extra feat here. Still, Fey Touched (bless!) and Shadow Touched can give him a lot of versatility with low-level slots, while his choice of Firebolt/Shocking Grasp/Eldritch Blast take care of damage. Since he’s already a “sorcerer”, Metamagic Adept is also thematically appropriate and gives him some minor Sorlock spam shenanigans with Twin and Quicken. Overall just an excellent backline nuker and very usable character.

Volo! (Tomb of Annihilation) – Have you ever wanted Volo as a sidekick for your PC? I haven’t. But, seeing his statblock at CR ¼ made me wonder. He has pitiful spellcasting (even worse than his 2nd Edition stat block), but 7 HD, decent mental stats, proficiency in Con and Wis saves (!), and a bazillion skills. Probably best played as an Expert since he has bad str/dex and Spellcaster would overwrite his starting slots—he could add Dex saves, 5 more skills (bringing him up to a total of 16 skill proficiencies and 6 Expertises, a contender for best skill monkey in the game), and pick up Fey Touched somewhere along the way to be a Bless bot. In this formulation, with Ritual Caster: Wizard, Healer and Inspiring Leader (16 Cha), he’d be an excellent support for a party of bruisers that all took proficiency in Stealth, Athletics, Perception and hardly anything else.

Zi Liang (SKT) – No CR listed, but I calculate offensive CR 1, defensive CR 1/4, so she’s eligible. She has some built in monk features, 40’ move and unarmored defense, with Multiattack 2 (quarterstaff) and overall good stats. I think she’s an excellent basis for a Healer spellcaster, pumping Wis and using Shillelagh to buff AC, damage, spell DC and hit chance all together. Her background says she’s a devotee of Chauntea, so this works out perfectly from a roleplaying standpoint with a mix of cleric and druid spells. I think she would carry her weight in a standard PC party.

Shalvus Martholio, Darz Helgar (SKT) – No CR listed, calculated offensive CR 1, defensive 1/8—good to go. Clearly intended to be a Rogue with a built-in sneak attack and several skills. Naturally builds into an Expert, but could be a fine warrior or spellcaster too. As an Expert, be sure to pick up Booming Blade from somewhere.

NPCs with good base stats, but little in the way of unique abilities:

Beldora, Sirac of Suzail, Duvessa Shane, Oren Yogilvy, Narth Tezrin, Othovir (SKT) – these are all reasonably close to the Noble statblock, but with generally better stats. Othovir has spells.

Thavius Kreeg (Baldur’s Gate) – 9 HD and really high mental stats. Would make an excellent Spellcaster.

Rhundorth (Princes of the Apocalypse) – the module says this guy is a Guard, but with 18 Strength. Total stats are still worse than an Orc, but maybe you really want your sidekick to start with 18 Strength…

Sauriv (Saltmarsh) – Similar to Thavius Kreeg—high mental stats, two Expertises, but only 2 HD.

Oceanus (Saltmarsh) – Good str and con, but mostly notable for starting with Con save proficiency. Save proficiencies are really rare on low CR creatures.

Miros Xelbrin (SKT) – Good warrior stats, has a unique bear hug attack.

Unoriginal
2021-01-17, 07:27 PM
Have to applaud the work you put into this, LordShade. It's very thorough.

Thavius Kreeg (Baldur’s Gate) – 9 HD and really high mental stats. Would make an excellent Spellcaster.

Well, that didn't work out for him the first time...

Willowhelm
2021-01-17, 11:34 PM
Good enough for you?

Certainly the kind of thing i was expecting. I'm honestly still a little surprised there hasn't been more stuff like this.

LordShade
2021-01-18, 12:48 PM
Rules question--the Spellcaster's level 6 Potent Cantrips feature says: "The sidekick can add its Spellcasting ability modifier to the damage it deals with any cantrip."

Given similar wording for Arcana clerics, I gather that this means that the bonus damage applies to both blasts of a Booming Blade or a Greenflame Blade, as well as each beam of an Eldritch Blast (am I correct on this?).

Does this also mean that it gets to add its Spellcasting modifier to each rock of a Magic Stone, or each blow from a Shillelagh? I am wondering if there is anything special here for statblocks that have multiattack with slings or clubs.

I am hoping someone can help me parse the wording on these different abilities.

MrCharlie
2021-01-18, 01:53 PM
Have to applaud the work you put into this, LordShade. It's very thorough.

Well, that didn't work out for him the first time...
Depending on one's interpretation it worked out very well for him, minus some dang meddling adventurers...

Anyway, this was a very well written guide. Working from MM material I'd already seen the potential of the scout and thug, and it's interesting to see what the other stat blocks offer.

As a DM, if I was concerned with a sidekick overshadowing a PC I'd implement a simple fix-Sidekicks can't take feats. There is even some reason to suspect this is intended-it never explicitly says they can. This prevents shenanigan's with GWM or sharpshooter overshadowing players.

rlc
2021-01-18, 05:47 PM
Depending on one's interpretation it worked out very well for him, minus some dang meddling adventurers...

Anyway, this was a very well written guide. Working from MM material I'd already seen the potential of the scout and thug, and it's interesting to see what the other stat blocks offer.

As a DM, if I was concerned with a sidekick overshadowing a PC I'd implement a simple fix-Sidekicks can't take feats. There is even some reason to suspect this is intended-it never explicitly says they can. This prevents shenanigan's with GWM or sharpshooter overshadowing players.
I don’t think any classes explicitly say that they can take feats. I can see not wanting sidekicks to overshadow regular player characters, but there are probably at least as many reasons to allow them as there are to disallow them.

LordShade
2021-01-18, 07:50 PM
My solution is to just give them bad feats, or good feats that PCs aren't going to use (Healer, Bountiful Luck). After all, the DM controls what sidekicks make it into the game and how they develop.

For me at least, the goal has always been to utilize followers (a game mechanic I love) in a way that's useful but not overshadowing the PCs. The really busted stuff like Night Blade will probably never make it into my game.

Ogun
2021-02-04, 11:35 PM
Maybe I missed it, but what are your top choices for mount sidekicks?

LordShade
2021-03-13, 11:18 PM
The Valenar creatures are great, and the regular Warhorse is pretty good too.

LordShade
2021-07-20, 05:16 PM
TL;DR - Warriors are good because the Attacker style is good, and because Pack Tactics is overpowered. But you already kind of knew this if you had heard of Samurai sharpshooters before.

https://ibb.co/276Kp02

Numbers come from the Ludic/Aureus DPR calculator.

A few notes...
- The Thug-Warrior outperforms a Vuman Champion at most levels, assuming the Champion doesn't have advantage and the Warrior is able to generate its own advantage thanks to Pack Tactics. From level 15 onward (until 20), when feats, stats, and # of attacks are equal, the Warrior actually outperforms by a noticeable margin regardless of advantage. Attacker is that good.
- I'm not factoring in Action Surge here.
- The Rubblebelt Stalker-Expert should be pretty representative of any Multiattack 3 build, such as a Dolgrim (non-Sharpshooter) or a Gorzil's Gang Trog. For reference, the expected DPR of a dual-wielding level 20 rogue with no advantage, no feats other than Dex +2 Dex +2, and a 9d6 sneak attack is 37.9. The rogue uses two fewer feats than the Rubble Expert, but the Expert generates a free advantage attack for an ally with its bonus Help action. The DPR estimate here actually undervalues the 2d6 damage from Inspiring Help, as that damage procs off an ally's attack that will have advantage. I know this is also undercounting PC rogue damage, because Booming Blade, Hide, and subclass abilities are a thing.
- I think raw damage should be higher for a Multiattack 3 statblock if it goes Spellcaster instead. Hex is an easy 3d6 at level 1, and there are a bunch of spells that let you weaponize the bonus action.
- The Noble-Prodigy budget warlock is also here for reference. This sidekick performs identically to a PC EB+AB+Hex warlock from level 8 onwards, at least as far as EB spam with no other invocations and abilities is concerned. Notably, it has 4 free feats after maxing Cha.
- Remember, these are supposed to be trash classes. But with good statblocks underneath them, they do become reasonably good.

I will post a bit later about some potential statblocks for dedicated Spellcasters--the Sage from Candlekeep Mysteries and the Precognitive Mage from GGR.

Nod_Hero
2021-07-26, 12:43 PM
I'd definitely say Sidekicks can take feats. Bold emphasis mine:

At certain levels, your class gives you the Ability Score Improvement feature. Using the optional feats rule, you can forgo taking that feature to take a feat of your choice instead.

When you create a sidekick, you choose the class it will have for the rest of its career: Expert, Spellcaster, or Warrior, each of which is detailed below.

Whenever the sidekick gains the Ability Score Improvement feature

quindraco
2021-07-26, 01:02 PM
TL;DR - Warriors are good because the Attacker style is good, and because Pack Tactics is overpowered. But you already kind of knew this if you had heard of Samurai sharpshooters before.

https://ibb.co/276Kp02

Numbers come from the Ludic/Aureus DPR calculator.

A few notes...
- The Thug-Warrior outperforms a Vuman Champion at most levels, assuming the Champion doesn't have advantage and the Warrior is able to generate its own advantage thanks to Pack Tactics. From level 15 onward (until 20), when feats, stats, and # of attacks are equal, the Warrior actually outperforms by a noticeable margin regardless of advantage. Attacker is that good.
- I'm not factoring in Action Surge here.
- The Rubblebelt Stalker-Expert should be pretty representative of any Multiattack 3 build, such as a Dolgrim (non-Sharpshooter) or a Gorzil's Gang Trog. For reference, the expected DPR of a dual-wielding level 20 rogue with no advantage, no feats other than Dex +2 Dex +2, and a 9d6 sneak attack is 37.9. The rogue uses two fewer feats than the Rubble Expert, but the Expert generates a free advantage attack for an ally with its bonus Help action. The DPR estimate here actually undervalues the 2d6 damage from Inspiring Help, as that damage procs off an ally's attack that will have advantage. I know this is also undercounting PC rogue damage, because Booming Blade, Hide, and subclass abilities are a thing.
- I think raw damage should be higher for a Multiattack 3 statblock if it goes Spellcaster instead. Hex is an easy 3d6 at level 1, and there are a bunch of spells that let you weaponize the bonus action.
- The Noble-Prodigy budget warlock is also here for reference. This sidekick performs identically to a PC EB+AB+Hex warlock from level 8 onwards, at least as far as EB spam with no other invocations and abilities is concerned. Notably, it has 4 free feats after maxing Cha.
- Remember, these are supposed to be trash classes. But with good statblocks underneath them, they do become reasonably good.

I will post a bit later about some potential statblocks for dedicated Spellcasters--the Sage from Candlekeep Mysteries and the Precognitive Mage from GGR.

The math on the Thug-Warrior makes no sense. You know it can multi-attack with a Greatsword at level 1, right? Warrior grants it proficiency with Greatswords, and its Multiattack is two melee attacks, not two mace attacks. What EA +1 lets it do is attack twice with a longbow.That jump from 13.5 to 27 is sus.

Nod_Hero
2021-07-26, 01:05 PM
Grippli Warrior from Candlekeep seems an interesting statblock.
Decent Dex and Wis, climb/swim speeds, 3 skills, 2 languages, Standing Leap, auto-grapple with a tongue attack hit, extra damage with the trident if it had advantage.

LordShade
2021-07-27, 11:26 PM
The math on the Thug-Warrior makes no sense. You know it can multi-attack with a Greatsword at level 1, right? Warrior grants it proficiency with Greatswords, and its Multiattack is two melee attacks, not two mace attacks. What EA +1 lets it do is attack twice with a longbow.That jump from 13.5 to 27 is sus.

Hmm, I did not know that. My reading of Multiattack has always been that a creature can only multiattack with the weapons listed in its stat block. But on closer read I see that the thug's entry says that "The thug makes two melee attacks." By contrast, the Rubblebelt Stalker's entry says "The stalker makes three attacks with its shortsword." I never noticed this distinction before. Thank you for pointing it out.

@Nod_Hero - yes, I agree that the Grippli Warrior is very interesting. Will include it with a handful of others in a later writeup:

Gorzil’s Gang Troglodyte (Multiattack 3)
Vistana Thug (2x evil eye curses, one gives vulnerability to a damage type)
Distended Corpse
Grippli Warrior - tongue + trident stab
Dire Corby – shuts down spellcasters… potentially OP
Kobold Horncaller
Kobold or Goblin Precognitive Mage -
Donjon Raskin - survivable
Seodra – 19 ac noble
Tortle – 17 AC
Sauriv – Booming blade build
Troglodyte Pirate Bosun – 18 str, superior grappling build. Pirate Bosun can take any +2 strength race
Grung
Derro – no save knockdown
Icewind Kobold – Dex + Con saves
Crushing Wave Reaver – decent warrior, gets extra damage against unarmored, shield proficiency
Koalinth – better hobgoblin, breathes water and dex save, more HP
Sahuagin – Bloodfrenzy
Mite – dex save debuff and Hex

I feel like I need to reorganize the guide too. Is it easier to follow how it's written now, or would it be easier to follow if the statblocks were sorted by capabilities or suitable sidekick classes?

LordShade
2021-08-12, 02:18 PM
A short update based on the ideas presented in these threads:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?635113-Build-Help-Hobgoblin-(Feywild)-Tactician&p=25158970#post25158970
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25039854&postcount=1108

The UA Feywild Hobgoblin and the UA Tandem Tactician represent a significant power boost to the Expert's already-strong Helpful feature. Helpful is already the Mastermind's Help action plus the Bard's Inspiration firing off of a single bonus action, with no usage limit. Fey Hobgoblin adds an additional rider to it (I'd compare it to a weak 1st-level spell or a cantrip rider--Hospitality is the strongest option and directly compares to False Life's 1d4+4 temp HP) and Tandem Tactician doubles the number of targets. These together look like a ~3x power multiplier over the base Helpful. For comparison, it would take a group of player characters a total of 5-6 actions+bonus actions to generate this entire suite of effects--two bards using bonus action inspiration on two targets, regular action Help on two targets, and a sorcerer using a Twinned False Life on two targets. And the Expert does it off a single bonus action with unlimited uses.

Here's what I posted in the thread:

The Expert gets:

Level 1 - Help as a bonus action
Level 6 - Help 30' range, and +2d6 damage if the Expert succeeds on an attack against the same target the Helped ally is attacking
Level 11 - free +1d6 Inspiration to the d20 roll that is receiving the Help; if an attack roll, can choose to substitute +1d6 damage instead
Level 20 - Inspiration dice increase to 2d6

So a maxed out Expert would get...

40' Help on two allies, +2d6 to the attack or damage roll, +1d6+prof HP to your two allies, OR +10 movement, OR the target receives disadvantage on the next attack roll

Regardless of which statblock you use, Fey Hobgoblin and Tandem Tactician are a major force multiplier for the Expert's core class feature, in the same way that things like GWM/PAM/SS/CBE/SM are upgrades to the Warrior's core features, independent of base stats. All of these things are probably UA for a good reason, but from a DM's perspective, I have no reservations at all about slapping Fey Hobgoblin and Tandem Tactician onto an Expert and seeing what happens.

Credit to @Khrysaes and @NCat for this idea.

Unoriginal
2021-08-12, 02:21 PM
A short update based on the ideas presented in these threads:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?635113-Build-Help-Hobgoblin-(Feywild)-Tactician&p=25158970#post25158970
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25039854&postcount=1108

The UA Feywild Hobgoblin and the UA Tandem Tactician represent a significant power boost to the Expert's already-strong Helpful feature. Helpful is already the Mastermind's Help action plus the Bard's Inspiration firing off of a single bonus action, with no usage limit. Fey Hobgoblin adds an additional rider to it (I'd compare it to a weak 1st-level spell or a cantrip rider--Hospitality is the strongest option and directly compares to False Life's 1d4+4 temp HP) and Tandem Tactician doubles the number of targets. These together look like a ~3x power multiplier over the base Helpful. For comparison, it would take a group of player characters a total of 5-6 actions+bonus actions to generate this entire suite of effects--two bards using bonus action inspiration on two targets, regular action Help on two targets, and a sorcerer using a Twinned False Life on two targets. And the Expert does it off a single bonus action with unlimited uses.

Here's what I posted in the thread:

The Expert gets:

Level 1 - Help as a bonus action
Level 6 - Help 30' range, and +2d6 damage if the Expert succeeds on an attack against the same target the Helped ally is attacking
Level 11 - free +1d6 Inspiration to the d20 roll that is receiving the Help; if an attack roll, can choose to substitute +1d6 damage instead
Level 20 - Inspiration dice increase to 2d6

So a maxed out Expert would get...

40' Help on two allies, +2d6 to the attack or damage roll, +1d6+prof HP to your two allies, OR +10 movement, OR the target receives disadvantage on the next attack roll

Regardless of which statblock you use, Fey Hobgoblin and Tandem Tactician are a major force multiplier for the Expert's core class feature, in the same way that things like GWM/PAM/SS/CBE/SM are upgrades to the Warrior's core features, independent of base stats. All of these things are probably UA for a good reason, but from a DM's perspective, I have no reservations at all about slapping Fey Hobgoblin and Tandem Tactician onto an Expert and seeing what happens.

Credit to @Khrysaes and @NCat for this idea.

Don't you need a NPC statblock to get a level in a Sidekick class?

ftafp
2021-08-12, 02:57 PM
Don't you need a NPC statblock to get a level in a Sidekick class?

an npc or monster stat block. However, npc stat blocks with the "any race" tag can be given the racial traits of any race in the game without altering their CR. The same goes for swapping out non-innate spells. That said, both feywild hobgoblin and tandem tactician have been dropped by wizards of the coast, and likely aren't going to appear in future books

LordShade
2021-08-12, 05:02 PM
an npc or monster stat block. However, npc stat blocks with the "any race" tag can be given the racial traits of any race in the game without altering their CR. The same goes for swapping out non-innate spells. That said, both feywild hobgoblin and tandem tactician have been dropped by wizards of the coast, and likely aren't going to appear in future books

Technical RAW *I believe* the bolded part only applies to the asterisked "races" on p. 282 of the DMG, and then only the racial abilities themselves, not necessarily the stat adjustments. If the stat adjustments increase damage/AC/hit chance/HP then you are supposed to recalculate the CR. If your reading of the rules is different I am keen to understand the difference between our interpretations.

Separately, I would have no problem using the sidekick classes on a normal race using normal ability score generation as opposed to a statblock. The deeper I go down this sidekick optimization rabbit hole the more I realize I really just don't need these rules for anything, and I don't even like how the existing sidekick classes are built. I'm glad to have them there as an option but I would never introduce these "optimized" builds like Sharpshooter Dolgrims, Pixie Warlocks and Bhall murderhobos anyway. I am about to give my Eberron group a dryad follower (CR 1). She's not going to use a sidekick class at all, nor will she gain levels normally. Her final stats will be a CR 9 Conclave Dryad (around player level 14) and she'll gradually gain hit dice and spells based on what the PCs do to help her regain her power.

It kind of makes me think I ought to put together my own homebrew set of follower rules... I have probably spent more time thinking about it than anyone at WOTC anyway.

Derpldorf
2021-08-12, 07:37 PM
You know, I kind of want to play a gnome Artillerist trundling around wearing a modified animated armor like a mech.

ftafp
2021-08-13, 01:07 AM
Technical RAW *I believe* the bolded part only applies to the asterisked "races" on p. 282 of the DMG, and then only the racial abilities themselves, not necessarily the stat adjustments. If the stat adjustments increase damage/AC/hit chance/HP then you are supposed to recalculate the CR. If your reading of the rules is different I am keen to understand the difference between our interpretations.

I'm citing the page 342 of the monster manual which does not specify only the DMG races.

paladinn
2021-08-13, 11:23 PM
Did anyone ever play a "sidekick" character from the UA? When I first read the article, I was all excited about some of the possibilities (before they were nerfed). Specifically, I really like the Warrior class. If someone didn't want care for the Fighter subclasses, it seemed to be a good path for a generic/baseline fighter. I actually like it more than the Champion. The "martial role" feature from Tasha's is quite a buff. Likewise the original Spellcaster class seems to give the power of a full caster with some of the cool features of a wizard, cleric, sorcerer or warlock. The 3e spellcaster would actually let you choose spells from different lists, but I guess that would have been too OP (and cool).

Given a chance, I'd be tempted to play one of these over a "standard" class!

truemane
2022-02-19, 08:41 PM
Metamagic Mod: thread re-opened by request

Sigreid
2022-02-19, 09:25 PM
I think one of the big things you have to keep in mind with the sidekick is the d4 hit die. For each sidekicks. This means you really, really need to keep them from getting hit or they're going to get pasted.

Unoriginal
2022-02-19, 09:37 PM
I think one of the big things you have to keep in mind with the sidekick is the d4 hit die. For each sidekicks. This means you really, really need to keep them from getting hit or they're going to get pasted.

Most Sidekicks won't have d4 hit dice, though? Only Tiny NPCs have d4. Medium NPCs have d8, and Small ones have d6.

Hit points
Whenever the sidekick gains a level, it gains one Hit Die, and its maximum increases. To determine the amount of the increase, roll the Hit Die (the type of die appears in the sidekick's stat block), and add its constitution modifier. It gains a minimum of 1 hit point per level.

Sigreid
2022-02-19, 09:40 PM
Most Sidekicks won't have d4 hit dice, though? Only Tiny NPCs have d4. Medium NPCs have d8, and Small ones have d6.

Maybe it's a mistake in the Fantasy Grounds Tasha's copy, but it lists a d4 for all of them. The UA had it broken out by profession.

I was surprised to see the warrior listed as a d4.

Unoriginal
2022-02-19, 09:46 PM
Maybe it's a mistake in the Fantasy Grounds Tasha's copy, but it lists a d4 for all of them. The UA had it broken out by profession.

I was surprised to see the warrior listed as a d4.

That's definitively a mistake, yeah. The HD is determined by the NPC's statblock, which means the kind of hit dice used is determined by the NPC's size.

LordShade
2022-03-30, 08:12 PM
I want to call attention to a change in the way WOTC is now writing monster statblocks, that has implications for the RAW of the Spellcaster sidekick.

The Spellcaster class description in Tasha's states that "If the creature already has the Spellcasting trait, this fea*ture replaces that trait." However, it seems like sometime in the last year or two, WOTC changed the way it writes magic-using monster statblocks. I first noticed this for the Sage statblock in Candlekeep Mysteries, where the Spellcasting "trait" (traits are usually described between where the monster's numerical stats are, and where its Actions are) has been replaced by a spell list scattered throughout its Action and Reaction lists. Spell slots are also mostly gone, replaced by 1/day or 3/day uses, and verbiage like "The Abjurer is an 11th-level caster" is also mostly gone. I say mostly, because books like MPMM pretty much all use the new layout where the Spellcasting "trait" is gone, but Candlekeep Mysteries itself has a Wood Elf Wizard that uses the old layout.

The implication should be obvious at this point--statblocks written the new way, strictly RAW, don't have a Spellcasting "trait" anymore--instead they have a Spellcasting "Action" and possible "Reactions". That also means if they take the Spellcaster sidekick class, they shouldn't have their spells overwritten by the class' spell progression.

Importantly, I have no reason to believe that RAI in this case has anything to do with the Sidekick rules. I think the new layout of magic-using statblocks is simply to make them easier to use in play by the DM (a good change).

With that said...

The Sage in particular is a particularly powerful stat block at CR 1/2, and with the above reading of RAW, it makes a terrific Spellcaster or Expert. Its physical stats are too low to ever make a good Warrior, but it starts with plenty of hit dice, Expertise in 6+ skills, 18 starting Intelligence, and as noted above, a ton of spells that don't get overwritten by becoming a Spellcaster.

As a point of reference, the spell point value of a level 20 character's full spell list (not counting Arcane recovery etc) is 133. A level 20 Spellcaster is 64, while the Sage statblock alone is 32. Adding a feat like Svirfneblin Magic (which a Sage has room to take since it implicitly started the game with +2 Int), the total spell point value of the sidekick is 119, or 89% of the capacity of a level 20 character in a player character class. As another point of comparison, the Pixie's base Innate Spellcasting is worth 34 spell points.

In the more recent supplements, there are a number of low CR statblocks that can "take advantage" (if RAW matters to you as a DM--it doesn't to me) of the new verbiage. The reprinted Apprentice Mage in MPMM doesn't get overwritten anymore, nor does the First-Year Student from Strixhaven. Unfortunately neither are particularly good statblocks on their own, but we may see new, overpowered, low-CR statblocks like the Sage or the Frontline Medic in future books.

animorte
2022-03-30, 09:24 PM
I absolutely loved the generic classes in 3.5e that allowed greater customization (akin to our Warlock). These sidekicks are essentially the same thing without free choice access to random class features.

But legitimately playing each of those to great extent really proved how weak the Fighter and Sorcerer classes of 3.5 are.

Anyway, I was really glad to discover the sidekicks redesigned and will fully embrace them.