PDA

View Full Version : Two new races and a new weapon (i think)

Tyrolin
2007-11-04, 08:46 PM
Race one:
The Torret
Tall and usually thin, Torret's are unusually strong. They have a +2 racial bonus to strength, and a -2 racial penalty to constitution.
Torret's usually stand around 7-8 feet tall, and weighing only as much as a human of around 1 foot less than they are

Tyrolin
2007-11-04, 08:58 PM
Race two:
The Piccel (and yes it sounds like pixle):
Piccels are a race of fay. Their size is fine. They have a -8 penalty to str, a +8 bonus to dex, and another +8 bonus to attack and AC for that size (i believe).

Piccels have a base land speed of 10 feet. They also have a pair of gossamer wings, which gives them a fly speed of 30 feet (perfect).

They average three inches tall and weigh so little as to be nonexistant. They live off of the sap from trees.

Piccels are decidedly chaotic, tending toward good, sometimes neutral, but never evil. They have a level adjustment of +2

Piccels carry sleep arrows like many other fay. Their longbows do negligible damage (1d2) but the save is Fort 14 or be affeted as by a sleep spell, regardless of HD. They are often found wielding greatswords (that do 1d3 damage).

Tyrolin
2007-11-04, 09:01 PM
Weapon:
The dagna
Exotic weapon.

The dagna looks at first like a gauntlet, but apperences are decieving.
the forearm of the dagna holds a blade equivalent to a shortsword, which is released when the wearer flips a switch (a free action made with the hand the dagna is on) and jostles the dagna. This jostling could be a simple as banging the dagnas on either arm together or as complicated as a bluff check to make the opponent think you're unarmed, followed by flipping the switch and making a gauntlet attack against the opponent (dealing extra 'shanked' damage)
The blade of the dagna remains extended until the switch is re-flipped and the blade reset, a full round, attack of opportunity inducing, action.

Name : damage : weight(1) : special : cost(1)
Dagna : 1d6 : 5 lbs : does 1d6 + 1d3 with successful bluff : 40 GP

Tyrolin
2007-11-04, 09:13 PM
Ok. There those are. If anyone has any ideas for fluff, backround, or if I've unwittingly copied something (or made up the same thing as someone else), feel free to let me know!!!

Kyace
2007-11-05, 12:16 PM
Piccel is worth a LA or Racial HD, in this case around LA +3 looks about normal.

AjaxTorbin
2007-11-05, 08:34 PM
Piccel is worth a LA or Racial HD, in this case around LA +3 looks about normal.

actualy, no, according to the monster creation rules, its a LV adjst +1

the stats cancel each other out, (although i would take away CON also, like -4 or so)
and the only thing left is the arrows and the size bonus to attack and AC.
and they don't have any of the normal pluses to spot or somthing, so i'd leave it at +one adjustment.

AjaxTorbin
2007-11-05, 08:38 PM
Weapon:
The dagna

The dagna looks at first like a gauntlet, but apperences are decieving.
the forearm of the dagna holds a blade equivalent to a shortsword, which is released when the wearer flips a switch (a free action made with the hand the dagna is on) and jostles the dagna. This jostling could be a simple as banging the dagnas on either arm together or as complicated as a bluff check to make the opponent think you're unarmed, followed by flipping the switch and making a gauntlet attack against the opponent (dealing extra 'shanked' damage)

Name : damage : weight(1) : special : cost(1)
Dagna : 1d6 : 5 lbs : does 1d6 + 1d3 with successful bluff : 40 GP

A spring loaded gauntlet? isn't that in arms and equiplent guide?

Kyace
2007-11-05, 10:59 PM
A spring loaded gauntlet? isn't that in arms and equiplent guide?

The one int he A&E guide is a gauntlet with a hidden crossbow in the wrist, this appears quite different.

actualy, no, according to the monster creation rules, its a LV adjst +1

the stats cancel each other out, (although i would take away CON also, like -4 or so)
and the only thing left is the arrows and the size bonus to attack and AC.
and they don't have any of the normal pluses to spot or somthing, so i'd leave it at +one adjustment.
It has +8 to hit, +12 to AC and a fly speed of 60' with perfect man.? I don't know of any monster creation rules that would say thats a LA +1 or less race. LA +3 was just my gut instinct. Flight is usually worth a LA +1 on its own, let alone perfect flight. Being smaller than small is typically worth a LA as well due to the fact that any char that takes it doesn't care about reach or carrying capacity and bonuses to AC (Via Dex AND size bonus) are always good. LA +3 forces the char to lose 2 sneak attack die or 3 caster levels, roughly enough to put it on the level of common races for me. Your mileage may vary.

AjaxTorbin
2007-11-05, 11:19 PM
The one int he A&E guide is a gauntlet with a hidden crossbow in the wrist, this appears quite different.

It has +8 to hit, +12 to AC and a fly speed of 60' with perfect man.? I don't know of any monster creation rules that would say thats a LA +1 or less race. LA +3 was just my gut instinct. Flight is usually worth a LA +1 on its own, let alone perfect flight. Being smaller than small is typically worth a LA as well due to the fact that any char that takes it doesn't care about reach or carrying capacity and bonuses to AC (Via Dex AND size bonus) are always good. LA +3 forces the char to lose 2 sneak attack die or 3 caster levels, roughly enough to put it on the level of common races for me. Your mileage may vary.

oh yea, oops. thats what i get for doing this while on a dimly lit train.
i agree totaly, as a matter of fact, i'd up the adjustment another one, the adj on Pixie is more than that and not half as powerfull.

Tyrolin
2007-11-06, 11:27 AM
Actually the +8 to hit and AC are because the piccel is fine (size-wise). That's also the reason for most of it's stats. I had to use the Monster manual size increase table in reverse to come up with them.

Oh and the blade in the dagna stays out until you reflip the switch and reset it (a full round action that prevokes attacks of opportunity.

boomwolf
2007-11-06, 12:16 PM
when making a new race you MUST give a drawing or a picture.
otherwise its pointless. it has no real flavor.

DracoDei
2007-11-06, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't take the above statement too seriously... I certainly haven't seen it followed on these boards... although it would be NICE to have a picture...

reorith
2007-11-06, 01:37 PM
is there a favored class for the torrent?

Kyace
2007-11-06, 01:46 PM
Actually the +8 to hit and AC are because the piccel is fine (size-wise). That's also the reason for most of it's stats. I had to use the Monster manual size increase table in reverse to come up with them.

Oh and the blade in the dagna stays out until you reflip the switch and reset it (a full round action that prevokes attacks of opportunity.

I understand where bonuses came from, following the size increase/decrease rules doesn't guarantee a balanced player race, esp. when taken this far.

boomwolf
2007-11-06, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't take the above statement too seriously... I certainly haven't seen it followed on these boards... although it would be NICE to have a picture...

the fact many people do not do it ok does not make if right.

JackMage666
2007-11-06, 03:09 PM
the fact many people do not do it ok does not make if right.

Not everyone on here is artistically inclined, and they don't want to go on a hunt for a non-copywrited image to use that fits the flavor.

Anyway -
Dagna - Exotic Weapon should be added, due to the specialized nature of the hiding and such. Otherwise, you should use the hidden weapon things in Complete Scoundrel, and give them a penalty to hit.
Piccel - It's too specialized to Rogue/Caster. They get ridiculous AC, and good chance to hit with Weapon Finesse. For a rogue or caster, Str is utterly useless, and they'll dominate those fields. I would not recommend this as a begginer player race.
Torret - This is going to sound rude, but they're plain boring. The abilities are simple +2 Str, -2 Con. No racial skill bonuses, no darkvision, no nothing. They're worse than the Half-Orc, actually. Give them some skills, or some racial abilities, things like that, to give them a slight boost.

Tyrolin
2007-11-06, 04:13 PM
Exotic weapon should be added to the dagna, and thanks for pointing out I hadn't put it there yet.

The Piccel may be too geared to rogue/caster, but I'm not going to make you play it.

As for the Torret, no problem, but I'm bad at stuff like that. All I had in mind were the basics for the ability score, so if you (or anyone else) has an idea for racial traits to bring it on par with the other core races, by all means, post!!

Mewtarthio
2007-11-06, 04:22 PM
As for the Torret, no problem, but I'm bad at stuff like that. All I had in mind were the basics for the ability score, so if you (or anyone else) has an idea for racial traits to bring it on par with the other core races, by all means, post!!

Well, it'd be nice to know exactly what sort of role these guys were meant to play.

Ecalsneerg
2007-11-06, 05:30 PM
Piccels are fine. This means most weapons they wield do 1 damage.

So therefore players will play casters. Casters with an AC so high that you can't hit them, so small it's hard to see them and generally if you scale up your AC with bracers of armour, mage armour, shiled and the like, a piccel caster is obscenely overpowered.

Tyrolin
2007-11-06, 07:18 PM
Torret's are supposed to be like my favorite video game characters. Only, it D&D they go wack the strongest thing possible while the cleric stands near him and says "you know you're going to die soon, right?"

Tyrolin
2007-11-06, 07:32 PM
As for the Piccel, perhaps they're just better as the fey in the forest. Just have 'em pop out every once in a while and whack the PC's.

You could also just grapple them. They take somewhere between a -17 and a -22 penalty to that, just because of their size (-16) and strength (between -1 and -5)