PDA

View Full Version : Low-Level Cavalier Tactics?

NecessaryWeevil
2020-11-26, 04:43 PM
Hi, I'm looking at Unwavering Mark:
When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can mark the creature until the end of your next turn. This effect ends early if you are incapacitated or you die, or if someone else marks the creature. While it is within 5 feet of you, a creature marked by you has disadvantage on any attack roll that doesn’t target you.

I'm wondering if this is less good than it seemed at first glance. If the marked creature only has disadvantage if they're next to me, then they have a strong incentive to move away. This would suggest I have to stand right next to a squishy if I want to protect them, which seems...not optimal. Am I better off not wielding a weapon, so I can grapple them? Does anyone have advice on tanking as a low-level Cavalier? I am playing a Mountain Dwarf Sword-and-Boarder, and will be 3rd level after next session.

Thanks!

Darzil
2020-11-26, 04:52 PM
If they move away you get an attack of opportunity with your reaction, which might put them off.

Dienekes
2020-11-26, 04:53 PM

I'm wondering if this is less good than it seemed at first glance. If the marked creature only has disadvantage if they're next to me, then they have a strong incentive to move away. This would suggest I have to stand right next to a squishy if I want to protect them, which seems...not optimal. Am I better off not wielding a weapon, so I can grapple them? Does anyone have advice on tanking as a low-level Cavalier? I am playing a Mountain Dwarf Sword-and-Boarder, and will be 3rd level after next session.

Thanks!

Well remember, moving away from you usually requires them to either Disengage and waste their action (unless they're a rogue), or you'll wack them with an Opportunity Attack. Then on your next turn you get to use the second half of Unwavering Mark meaning you get a Bonus Action attack against them. So you're essentially getting 2 free attacks if your target decides to move away to attack an ally.

Then next level you take the Sentinel feat if you don't want them to move at all.

stoutstien
2020-11-26, 05:22 PM

Thanks!

What does your party look like? Who are the squishies and what do they do?

NecessaryWeevil
2020-11-26, 06:07 PM
What does your party look like? Who are the squishies and what do they do?

That's a great question. Still determining that since we've only had two sessions so far but they are a bard and a warlock. So far the bard looks like a support caster. Expecting some skillful play from him since he DMed a previous campaign I was in. The warlock missed last session and is pretty new to D&D so I don't see them getting heavily involved in melee. We also have an artificer but in my limited experience they can usually take care of themselves.
The other two are a fighter going Battlemaster and a rogue. Huh. Now that I think of it we're less melee-heavy than I remembered. Our first sessions had some non-traditional combat (dragon attack on an airship) so not sure what a typical fight is going to look like yet.

stoutstien
2020-11-26, 06:55 PM
That's a great question. Still determining that since we've only had two sessions so far but they are a bard and a warlock. So far the bard looks like a support caster. Expecting some skillful play from him since he DMed a previous campaign I was in. The warlock missed last session and is pretty new to D&D so I don't see them getting heavily involved in melee. We also have an artificer but in my limited experience they can usually take care of themselves.
The other two are a fighter going Battlemaster and a rogue. Huh. Now that I think of it we're less melee-heavy than I remembered. Our first sessions had some non-traditional combat (dragon attack on an airship) so not sure what a typical fight is going to look like yet.

Hard to plan for the unknown but cavalier shines with having heavyish Melee focused parties. If the BM, artificer, or rogue is sticking near by it improves your stickiness. There is Also the question of how much your DM leans ons player expectations of what you invision your character doing compared to just crunch.

Luccan
2020-11-26, 07:14 PM
I think part of the point of Unwavering Mark is to protect your steed. You are a Cavalier, after all.