PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does 3.5 has something like PF's "Cooperative Crafting"?

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-26, 09:46 PM
1. PF has Cooperative Crafting (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/cooperative-crafting/), is there an equivalent in 3.5

2. Where are the 3.5 rules when multiple persons are crafting together? Especially when it comes to prerequisites and metamagic feats. I can't seem to find em on first glance..

3. Are there any other options for this in 3.5, preferably feats or items? Things like Cooperative Spell/Circle Magic (which could be used for scrolls if I did get the rules right)?

Doctor Despair
2020-11-26, 10:02 PM
1. PF has Cooperative Crafting (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/cooperative-crafting/), is there an equivalent in 3.5

2. Where are the 3.5 rules when multiple persons are crafting together? Especially when it comes to prerequisites and metamagic feats. I can't seem to find em on first glance..

3. Are there any other options for this in 3.5, preferably feats or items? Things like Cooperative Spell/Circle Magic (which could be used for scrolls if I did get the rules right)?

Jowgen's post (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24258070&postcount=2) indicates the rules are in the MIC

All items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of feats and spells that the item’s creator must know, although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed. It’s perfectly acceptable for two or more characters to work together to create a magic item, with each character supplying some of the prerequisites. (In all places where this text refers to the “creator” of a magic item, it includes all characters supplying at least one prerequisite for the item’s creation.) The XP cost must always be paid by the character who supplies the item creation feat required by the item, no matter how many other characters cooperate in its creation.

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-26, 10:12 PM
Jowgen's post (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24258070&postcount=2) indicates the rules are in the MIC

Does that mean 3.5 has basically Cooperative Crafting inbuild (except the +2 circumstance bonus)?

I guess other characters can assist me with metamagic feats (even stacking em?) for scrolls.

And what about the time needed to craft. Do every participant count as working 8h for the time needed to craft the item (doubling / tripling /.. the crafting speed)?

PraxisVetli
2020-12-07, 03:17 AM
And what about the time needed to craft. Do every participant count as working 8h for the time needed to craft the item (doubling / tripling /.. the crafting speed)?
No idea, but Dedicated Wrights will help with time, sorta. It's still the same time, but you can leave will it builds for you.

Biggus
2020-12-07, 07:38 AM

All items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of feats and spells that the item’s creator must know, although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed. It’s perfectly acceptable for two or more characters to work together to create a magic item, with each character supplying some of the prerequisites. (In all places where this text refers to the “creator” of a magic item, it includes all characters supplying at least one prerequisite for the item’s creation.) The XP cost must always be paid by the character who supplies the item creation feat required by the item, no matter how many other characters cooperate in its creation.

The part about "access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed" is also in the DMG (p.282).

There's a variant rule in ELH (p.125) which allows other PCs (but not NPCs) to contribute XP towards magic items a PC is making. In this version the main creator must only contribute a minimum of a quarter of the XP.

EDIT: it's worth reading the rest of the thread Jowgen's post is from, there's some other useful info in there: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?602576-Cooperative-Crafting&p=24258070&viewfull=1#post24258070

Darg
2020-12-07, 10:39 AM
The Aid Another special action provides a stacking bonus to skill checks. I also believe there was a WotC article that said you could split the xp cost between you and another person 50/50.

Psyren
2020-12-07, 12:53 PM
The Cooperative Crafting feat in PF is not actually needed to collaborate on magic item creation - you can do that in core without needing the feat (CRB 549). What the feat does let you do however is double the gp value of items/progress you make in a day, and grant a +2 circumstance bonus to their crafting. Your DM may vary, but this could potentially stack with the bonus from Aid Another, which is untyped.

Biggus
2020-12-07, 04:28 PM
I also believe there was a WotC article that said you could split the xp cost between you and another person 50/50.

There is, it's in that thread I linked.

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-08, 12:45 AM
Thx for all your replies. The main question that remains is still, "can you speed up the crafting process?".
Can I do 16h of work per day with 2 crafters (having the right crafting feat) or even more with more participants?

The question emerged due to my Orochimaru build. He abuses his own Ice Assassins to help him crafting. It would be nice (and imho logical, but RAW like to ignore logic..^^), if he could shorten the crafting time with his Ice Assassins.

PraxisVetli
2020-12-08, 03:50 AM
Thx for all your replies. The main question that remains is still, "can you speed up the crafting process?".
Can I do 16h of work per day with 2 crafters (having the right crafting feat) or even more with more participants?

The question emerged due to my Orochimaru build. He abuses his own Ice Assassins to help him crafting. It would be nice (and imho logical, but RAW like to ignore logic..^^), if he could shorten the crafting time with his Ice Assassins.

Gremma's Cauldron from Expedition to Undermountain let's you craft 2 potions/ day, and I think a free Cure Light Wounds, but it's potion exclusive.
It does also let you turn scrolls into potions, which gets around certain limitations, but that's not immediately relevant at the moment.

I let crafters work 16 hours, and it hasn't broken anything yet, but that's not RAW.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-12-08, 04:41 AM

Afaik the only official 3.5 option that speeds up crafting is the epic Efficient Item Creation feat.
To the best of my knowledge the only one who can actually contribute progress is the original crafter (or a Dedicated Wright of his, but that's a substitution, not an addition).

Psyren
2020-12-08, 10:34 AM

This is exactly what Cooperative Crafting lets you do - by allowing you to make 2000gp of progress in 8 hours instead of 1000, which is even better than being able to work for 16 hours. And using the bonus from it + Aid Another, you can easily hit the +5 DC increase to accelerate your crafting, and make up to 4000gp of progress in a single day.

I won't comment on Ice Assassin abuse though, my opinions on using that spell for anything but killing are well-documented elsewhere.

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-08, 07:40 PM
This is exactly what Cooperative Crafting lets you do - by allowing you to make 2000gp of progress in 8 hours instead of 1000, which is even better than being able to work for 16 hours. And using the bonus from it + Aid Another, you can easily hit the +5 DC increase to accelerate your crafting, and make up to 4000gp of progress in a single day.
I know what Cooperative Crafting can do and that is why I am looking for a 3.5 equivalent^^
But the sole things I could find was % reducers and an epic feat:
Magical Artisan: select a item creation feat and reduce base price to 75%
Exceptional Artisan: reduce time by 25% (together with MA total time is reduced to 56,25%)
Efficient Item Creation (epic): raised the amount of work per day to the value of 10.000g

I won't comment on Ice Assassin abuse though, my opinions on using that spell for anything but killing are well-documented elsewhere.
I know how you feel. I have never used Ice Assassins so far inGame. It's only for my "TO: builds", so less need to worry here ;)