PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Multiple Movement Speeds in a turn. Possibly a Noob Question?

Nikushimi
2020-11-27, 05:09 AM
Hey! I had a question that came up a while back in my game, and it hasn't come up since, but I wanted to find out information about this.

We have a Tabaxi in our group so they have a Movement Speed of 30 and a Climb Speed of 20. The situation is simple. There were some bandits up in the trees with crossbows and they used their movement to get to the tree and then used their 20ft of movement to climb up the tree to get to them and attack.

At the time I was like "Yeah, sure. You can both walk and climb."

But then I wasn't sure. As I couldn't find any rules on multiple movements during your turn, and I still can't find where it says. Any searches just bring me to how fast a Tabaxi can be and not really what types of movement can be taken in one turn.

So my question is simple.

If you have a Movement Speed of 30, a Climb Speed of 30, A Swim Speed of 30, and a Fly Speed of 30 can you, on your turn move 30ft, climb a cliff face 30ft with a pool at the top. Then swim across it using your 30ft of swim speed, after which fly 30ft up into the air? All in one turn? Effectively moving 120ft in a turn? This was an extreme of someone having all of the movement.

Or simplified, move 30ft and then climb 30ft up a cliff? All in the same turn? How does this work?

Thanks for the help.

Darzil
2020-11-27, 06:10 AM
Page 190 of PHB:

If you have more than one speed, such as your walking
speed and a flying speed, you can switch back and forth
between your speeds during your move. Whenever you
switch, subtract the distance you've already moved from
the new speed. The result determines how much farther
you can move. If the result is O or less. you can't use the
new speed during the current move.
For example, if you have a speed of 30 and a flying
speed of 60 because a wizard cast the fly spell on you,
you could fly 20 feet, then walk 10 feet, and then leap
into the air to fly 30 feet more.

Zhorn
2020-11-27, 06:50 AM
Worth noting that it can get a little wonky as written with order if you use a lower value movement speed after using one with a higher value;
Example, if you have a 20 ft. fly speed and a 30 ft. movement/run speed; you run 20 ft. and intend to fly the last 10 ft., but the subtraction means you cannot since 20-20=0 ft. even though you hadn't flew at all yet and still have 10 ft. remaining.

Commonly I see it instead ruled your maximum move distance in a turn is decided by your highest movement score, and you can mix and match any of your types of movement as long as the sum doesn't exceed the highest value, and each individual movement doesn't exceed the score for that type (excusing other movement rules such as; treat 'X' as cost 'Y' feet for every foot moved if you don't have swim/climb speed, etc)

So the above case you can;
run 20, fly 10
run 30, fly 0
fly 20, run 10
etc, order no longer matters

Darzil
2020-11-27, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I was just quoting RAW.

If I was coming up with a houserule it would probably be that movement is used up proportionally (So if you can fly 60, walk 30 and climb 15, then you could climb 10 (using 2/3 of your movement) and then fly 20 (the other 1/3)). But then I don't mind the maths (or nested brackets).

Nikushimi
2020-11-28, 10:09 AM
Page 190 of PHB:

If you have more than one speed, such as your walking
speed and a flying speed, you can switch back and forth
between your speeds during your move. Whenever you
switch, subtract the distance you've already moved from
the new speed. The result determines how much farther
you can move. If the result is O or less. you can't use the
new speed during the current move.
For example, if you have a speed of 30 and a flying
speed of 60 because a wizard cast the fly spell on you,
you could fly 20 feet, then walk 10 feet, and then leap
into the air to fly 30 feet more.

Huh, this kinda confuses me. Not gonna lie. So, if you have 30 Walking/Running Speed and a Fly of 60, you can walk 30 then fly 30? Since 60-30=30 for the new speed (Fly). Might have to houserule something.

Worth noting that it can get a little wonky as written with order if you use a lower value movement speed after using one with a higher value;
Example, if you have a 20 ft. fly speed and a 30 ft. movement/run speed; you run 20 ft. and intend to fly the last 10 ft., but the subtraction means you cannot since 20-20=0 ft. even though you hadn't flew at all yet and still have 10 ft. remaining.

Commonly I see it instead ruled your maximum move distance in a turn is decided by your highest movement score, and you can mix and match any of your types of movement as long as the sum doesn't exceed the highest value, and each individual movement doesn't exceed the score for that type (excusing other movement rules such as; treat 'X' as cost 'Y' feet for every foot moved if you don't have swim/climb speed, etc)

So the above case you can;
run 20, fly 10
run 30, fly 0
fly 20, run 10
etc, order no longer matters

The last thing you said makes sense. Use the highest movement speed you have and that's how much total combined movement you could make.

That brings to question with the Tabaxi. Since they can double their movement speed. That means they can move 60 in a turn, whether that is walking or climbing using that rule you listed?

I guess I can implement this and just sat that that's the ruling. Cause what's in the PHB that was pointed out is a bit confusing to me.

Darzil
2020-11-28, 10:19 AM
Yeah, RAW is a bit weird.

With move of 30 and fly of 60 you could:

Move 30, Fly 30
Fly 30, be unable to move!

I'd use house rules and make it proportionate, so you could use (say) half your movement moving and half flying:

Move 15, Fly 30
Fly 30, Move 15

Zhorn
2020-11-28, 11:37 AM
I'd use house rules and make it proportionate, so you could use (say) half your movement moving and half flying:

Move 15, Fly 30
Fly 30, Move 15
Disagree, mostly because it is inconsistent. Here that robs the player of 15 ft of movement, more so if of their move they use more walking vs flying.
examples:
move 20 (using 2/3 of their 30) meaning they can only now fly 1/3 of 60 being 20, effectively missing out on a potential 20 ft of movement.
move 25 (using 5/6 of their 30) meaning they can only now fly 1/6 of 60 being 10, effectively missing out on a potential 25 ft of movement.

That brings to question with the Tabaxi. Since they can double their movement speed. That means they can move 60 in a turn, whether that is walking or climbing using that rule you listed?
Sort of. Tabaxi have a movement speed of 30 for walking, and a climb speed of 20.
Using Feline Agility they can double that to 60 movement / 40 climbing. Barring any additional movement modifiers then can move up to 60 in a turn, with 0-40 of that being climbing. Any more climbing than 40 and I'd default to the default climbing rules for how it usually works for the remainder (every foot costs one extra; 2 ft of movement = 1 ft of climbing), getting 10 ft more climbing out of their remaining 20 ft walking speed. So spending ALL of their movement of a Feline Agility climb would be 50.
Being said, Tabaxi have a whole lot of options when you are given opportunity to set it up, so the whole scenario is really underselling what nonsense they can get up to.

Segev
2020-11-28, 11:43 AM
The RAW actually make sense to me, here, or are even maybe a little over-generous.

Consider that a move speed indicates you're moving faster or slower the higher or lower the distance it represents. So if you have a climb speed of 20, you're climbing slower than your land speed of 30. If you move 20 feet on land and then want to climb, yes, it's a little weird that you just "lose" those last ten feet (though, technically? for climbing? you don't: you can use normal climb rules to climb 5 feet at the cost of 10 feet of ground movement), but as an abstraction, you've already moved as far as you could cover with that speed.

So a fly speed of 60 landing after 30 feet having no move left for 30 feet of ground speed, again, might seem odd, but your ground speed is so much slower than your flight speed that you just can't make significant ground thereafter.

An actual rigorous representation would be to figure out the fraction of your prior speed's total distance you've moved, and subtract the same fraction from the speed you're switching to. So if you've moved 30 of 60 flight feet, that's half, so you have 15 of 30 land feet left you can run.