PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bizuxxie: Bumbling Bee-Folk (PEACH)

sandmote
2020-11-27, 06:05 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/iE857_7e2hW5)

I wanted to write some beefolk. The stat spread ended up fairly dwarven, with the meat in the base race. It consists of very fancy eyes, and limited flight. The subraces mostly ended up with fancy tool use and another minor feature, which I'm not very happy about.

Bizuxxie typically emerge from their pupae 10 years after hatching, but most individuals start counting their age and that of other bizuxxie from this point. On average, bizuxxie live for 60 years.

Alignment
Bizuxxie fall into habit easily, and often adopt the local outlook on good and evil. In Bizuxxie only communities, they typically remain neutral. Most bizuxxie lean lawful, but those that do not adopt lawful outlooks become very chaotic.

Ability Score Increase
Your Constitution and Wisdom scores each increase by 1.

Directional Sight
Bizuxxie eyes are made of many lenses, capable of seeing light most humanoids cannot sense. You have advantage on investigation checks made against illusions, and while in sunlight you always know which way is north.

Bumbling Flight
While you aren't wearing heavy armor, you have a 25 foot fly speed. However, your ability to fly is very weak, and you must land at the end of your turn or you fall to the ground.

Speed
The largest bizuxxie are slowed by their large wings when walking and sheer mass when flying, while smaller bizuxxie's smaller limbs lack the reach of other races. Your speed is 25 feet.

Vertical Lives
Bizuxxie can hold onto surfaces with each of their four arms, and most build homes vertically to keep out intruders. You have a climb speed of 20 feet.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Bizuxxie. Bizuxxie is characterized by harsh consonants divided mostly by guttural stops. Even in other languages, bizuxxie often struggle with vowel sounds.

Subraces:

Wood Bizuxxie
Ability Score Increase
Your Constitution score increases by 1.

Size
Among the largest of their race, wood bizuxxie are around 5 feet tall and their round bodies average around 150 pounds. Your size is medium.

Combat Training
You have proficiency with the javelin, longbow, shortsword, and trident.

Woodworker's Build
Wood bizuxxie's arms and jaws allow them to easily work with wooden materials, and their innate knowledge using this translates to the equipment of other races. You have proficiency with woodcarver's tools, and you do not require a set of woodcarver's tools to make checks or engage with materials if you are able to use your arms and jaws on the material.

The basic 'big bee' type, with weapon training on account of being the most solitary of the three types of bees used as a base.

Hive Bizuxxie
Ability Score Increase
Your Charisma score increases by 1.

Size
Hive bizuxxie are around 3 feet tall and average around 45 pounds. Your size is small.

Urban Walk
Hive Bizuxxie live in confined tunnels buzzing with movement, often needing to squeeze through others to get to their goal. You have proficiency in acrobatics.

Honeyworker
Hive bizuxxie's arms and jaws allow them to easily work with honey and other liquids, and their innate knowledge using this translates to the equipment of other races. You have proficiency with brewer's supplies, and you do not require a set of brewer's supplies to make checks or brew if you are able to use your arms and jaws on the material.

Digger Bizuxxie
Ability Score Increase
Your Strength score increases by 1.

Size
Digger bizuxxie are around 3 anda half feet tall and thin for the race, averaging around 50 pounds. Your size is small.

Earthmover
You know the move earth cantrip. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

Potter's Build
Digger bizuxxie's arms and jaws allow them to easily work with clay and glaze, and their innate knowledge using this translates to the equiptment of other races. You have proficiency with potter's tools, and you do not require a set of potter's tools to make checks or engage in pottery if you are able to use your arms and jaws on the material.

Twelvetrees
2020-11-28, 12:01 AM
Between Directional Sight, Bumbling Flight, Vertical Lives, and the minor feature provided by the subrace, Bizuxxie feel like they've got a little too much going on.

You made the comparison to dwarves, so I'm going to continue it. I'm counting a similar number of features, but two of them are boosts to speed that can change the tenor of a game. Dwarves are normally considered quite good and Bizuxxie appear to be a bit better.

Which features do you think are most important to getting across the idea of beefolk? I'd start with that question and offload other features into the subraces.

I really do like Woodworker's Build/Honeyworker/Potter's Build. I'd love to play a character with any of these features, if for no other reason than to see the other players' reactions. :smalltongue:

sandmote
2020-11-29, 05:12 PM
Between Directional Sight, Bumbling Flight, Vertical Lives, and the minor feature provided by the subrace, Bizuxxie feel like they've got a little too much going on.

You made the comparison to dwarves, so I'm going to continue it. I'm counting a similar number of features, but two of them are boosts to speed that can change the tenor of a game. Dwarves are normally considered quite good and Bizuxxie appear to be a bit better. If I strip out the immunity to fall damage and proficiency with perception, would that bring it down to reasonable levels?

As it stands, the base race has three features:

fancy eyes
limited flight (hopefully limited enough not to compare with aarakocra)
climb speed

I'd rather reduce them than strip them out. Will reduce the climb speed to 20 feet to match the tabaxi though.

Twelvetrees
2020-11-29, 08:14 PM
If I strip out the immunity to fall damage and proficiency with perception, would that bring it down to reasonable levels?

I think that would be more reasonable. :smallsmile:

They'd still be a strong choice, but not so much that they'd stick out.

Zaile
2020-12-12, 09:50 PM
I like it.

With fly speed and climb, they would have very little trouble infuriating t
Any reason you just don't give them flat out Advantage on Investigation? Same eyes that let them see through illusions would work on finding secret doors, etc.

Your reference of Bizuxxi being an orderly society might lend better to Int racial bonus instead of Wis.

Hive should probably get a Dex bonus instead of Cha

Digger should be the biggest of the races with a laborer role and Str bonus yeah?

As for the language, maybe make it based on Dwarven script and/or give them proficiency in languages of insecticide races like Thri-keen?

See something like these guys

https://c1.scryfall.com/file/scryfall-cards/art_crop/front/0/9/096c7da0-a341-4044-9033-95e7bf2d605a.jpg?1562896976

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/428967933239232812/?d=t&mt=login

Some fun Pins: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/492299802993635494/

sandmote
2020-12-12, 10:45 PM
Any reason you just don't give them flat out Advantage on Investigation? Same eyes that let them see through illusions would work on finding secret doors, etc. basically, I wanted to represent them being able to see ultraviolet light, not simply have some sort of innate ability to locate objects. The eyes aren't able to pick up additional detail compared to a human, for instance.

Your reference of Bizuxxi being an orderly society might lend better to Int racial bonus instead of Wis. I was mostly thinking of how bees don't require training, and figured I'd represent them with innate wisdom rather than particularly good knowledge or reasoning ability.

Hive should probably get a Dex bonus instead of Cha Any particular reason? They're named particularly for living in large communities, so I figured the social ability score would fit best.

Digger should be the biggest of the races with a laborer role and Str bonus yeah? They do get the Str bonus. That said the real world bees they're based on are neither particularly large nor live in hives.

As for the language, maybe make it based on Dwarven script and/or give them proficiency in languages of insecticide races like Thri-keen? "Insecticide" is the stuff you use to kill them. I think you were looking for "insectoid." That said, If you like that idea, you're allowed to use it at your table. I image them adopting elven script myself (based on where they live and how they act in my setting).

Zaile
2020-12-13, 03:20 AM
basically, I wanted to represent them being able to see ultraviolet light, not simply have some sort of innate ability to locate objects. The eyes aren't able to pick up additional detail compared to a human, for instance.

I was mostly thinking of how bees don't require training, and figured I'd represent them with innate wisdom rather than particularly good knowledge or reasoning ability.

Any particular reason? They're named particularly for living in large communities, so I figured the social ability score would fit best.

They do get the Str bonus. That said the real world bees they're based on are neither particularly large nor live in hives.

"Insecticide" is the stuff you use to kill them. I think you were looking for "insectoid." That said, If you like that idea, you're allowed to use it at your table. I image them adopting elven script myself (based on where they live and how they act in my setting).

1. Cool, I like it.

2. Good point, the "orderly society" just made me think of Int, especially if you use eleven as their language script

3. Hive should get Dex since they are the smaller and more agile sub-race, you gave them Acrobatics too.

4. Str makes me think of either big or stocky. A 50 lb small race with a str bonus is indeed odd and could be cool.

5. Lol, I did, spellcheck. My eyes fix everything as I read. I am a terrible editor.

If you make this a race + background you could definitely give it a couple more ribbons. Maybe something like "swarm rank" similar to guild artisan/soldier's background where they could get help from the hive(s) every now and then.

sandmote
2020-12-13, 03:50 PM
If you make this a race + background you could definitely give it a couple more ribbons. Maybe something like "swarm rank" similar to guild artisan/soldier's background where they could get help from the hive(s) every now and then. I think that would simply be the Soldier background, just with the hive's military force as the "former military organization" mentioned in the special ability.

Honestly, backgrounds are really flexible, so they could easily be adjusted for most cultures, societies, and races. A Hive bizuxxie hermit or urchin might be a bit hard to explain, but most other things should be easy to cover.