PDA

View Full Version : anyway casting domain spells more than once a day with domain access sorcerer?

newguydude1
2020-11-28, 08:09 PM
In addition, you can cast one domain spell of each spell level available to you per day from that domain.

i wanna cast them more than once...

NigelWalmsley
2020-11-28, 09:12 PM
Have you considered just getting whatever spell it is that you want it some other way? Get a Knowstone or a Runestaff of whatever spell it is that you want, and use that to cast it multiple times. Or get the actual domain from a PrC.

newguydude1
2020-11-28, 09:45 PM
Have you considered just getting whatever spell it is that you want it some other way? Get a Knowstone or a Runestaff of whatever spell it is that you want, and use that to cast it multiple times. Or get the actual domain from a PrC.

what prc gives sorcerer domain access?

NigelWalmsley
2020-11-28, 09:49 PM
what prc gives sorcerer domain access?

Plenty of PrCs give Prestige Domains. Divine Oracle is the easiest to get into as an arcane spellcaster. But as a Sorcerer you should really just buy a Knowstone of whatever spell it is that you want to cast, because you still have to learn your domain spells meaning you need shenanigans to get the ones you want.

newguydude1
2020-11-28, 09:51 PM
Plenty of PrCs give Prestige Domains. Divine Oracle is the easiest to get into as an arcane spellcaster. But as a Sorcerer you should really just buy a Knowstone of whatever spell it is that you want to cast, because you still have to learn your domain spells meaning you need shenanigans to get the ones you want.

i need luck or community domain.

cant use dragon so no knowstones
trying to get a divine spell (miracle) so no runestaffs

and i want to not rely on items if possible.

complete divine says if i get a domain added to my sorcerer, i can select any domain spell as a spell known.but no idea how to get luck domain onto sorcerer other than southern magician + contemplative, but faq shot southern magician down so...

NigelWalmsley
2020-11-28, 10:06 PM
trying to get a divine spell (miracle) so no runestaffs

Nothing stops you from putting divine spells in runestaffs as far as I can tell. There's nothing in the rules for runestaffs saying you can't put them in, and the Runestaff of Eyes grants Remove Bindness/Deafness which appears on no arcane lists (there are other runestaffs with spells that are divine-only in Core, but appear in non-core arcane lists). The restriction runestaffs have is that you can only cast spells out of them if the spells are on your class list, but you can just UMD them to pretend you have the right class list.

complete divine says if i get a domain added to my sorcerer, i can select any domain spell as a spell known.but no idea how to get luck domain onto sorcerer other than southern magician + contemplative, but faq shot southern magician down so...

Imbue With Spell Ability lets you cast divine spells.

newguydude1
2020-11-28, 10:14 PM
Nothing stops you from putting divine spells in runestaffs as far as I can tell. There's nothing in the rules for runestaffs saying you can't put them in, and the Runestaff of Eyes grants Remove Bindness/Deafness which appears on no arcane lists (there are other runestaffs with spells that are divine-only in Core, but appear in non-core arcane lists). The restriction runestaffs have is that you can only cast spells out of them if the spells are on your class list, but you can just UMD them to pretend you have the right class list.

If you want to create a runestaff of your own design, it should have two to five arcane spells associated with it, and the spells should be thematically linked in some way. The lowest-level spell in a runestaff should be at least 3rd level.

Imbue With Spell Ability lets you cast divine spells.

that...
that might actually work! and after first level of contemplative it will fulfill itself. contemplative explicitly covers the case of a nondivine class entering it so...
wowzers!

NigelWalmsley
2020-11-28, 10:40 PM
If you want to create a runestaff of your own design, it should have two to five arcane spells associated with it, and the spells should be thematically linked in some way. The lowest-level spell in a runestaff should be at least 3rd level.

That doesn't mean what you think it means. Clearly the "should" is not binding, because the sample runestaffs totally break that restriction. Moreover, "arcane" and "divine" aren't inherent properties of spells. When the game says "Clerics cast divine spells", what that means is that "when a Cleric casts a spell, it is divine", not "spells on the Cleric list are divine spells". Otherwise you get into problems with things like Animate Dead (which appears on arcane and divine lists) or using Arcane Disciple (Plant) to qualify for PrCs that require divine casting. If you want to buy a Runestaff of Miracle, you just have to convince your DM that it was built by some guy with Arcane Disciple (Luck).

Darg
2020-11-28, 10:59 PM
Versatile spellcaster should work too.

newguydude1
2020-11-28, 11:02 PM
Versatile spellcaster should work too.

no it doesnt because the limitation is not a spell slot thing. no matter how many spell slots you have you can only cast the domain spells once per day.

NigelWalmsley
2020-11-28, 11:22 PM
No, that's not what it says. It says you can cast the spell once per day. It doesn't say you can't cast the spell more times if you have some other way of casting it. So in theory you could cast as many Miracles as you wanted using 8th level spell slots with Versatile Spellcaster. That said, it's not clear to me that the ACF actually gives you the spells as spells known. The "Replaces" entry implies that it does, but the "Benefits" entry does not actually say the spells become spells known. Just that "you can cast one domain spell of each spell level available to you per day from that domain."

mabriss lethe
2020-11-28, 11:23 PM
complete divine says if i get a domain added to my sorcerer, i can select any domain spell as a spell known.

I don't have CD handy to compare the text, but would it be possible to cheese it by judicious use of a Domain Draught? (Probably not, but it's worth half a thought)

Though you could use a draught to get Miracle as a one off by using it in conjunction with Arcane Disciple and Arcane Preparation, since you can prepare any number of spells with the feat you could dedicate all of your slots to Miracles, or use up your 8th level slots with Versatile Spellcaster.

Quentinas
2020-11-29, 03:57 AM
Arcane disciple so you learn that spell, so you can use it with your slot, other than with domain access?

newguydude1
2020-11-29, 08:32 AM
dont wanna go arcane disciple because of the deity worship requirement. hence why im looking at domain access.

Biggus
2020-11-29, 09:56 AM
the Runestaff of Eyes grants Remove Bindness/Deafness which appears on no arcane lists

That was a mistake, it was changed to Arcane Sight in the errata.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-11-29, 10:16 AM
Absorption (SpC) works, assuming you can maximize it and have something to fill it like a familiar with an at-will SLA.

newguydude1
2020-11-29, 10:29 AM
Absorption (SpC) works, assuming you can maximize it and have something to fill it like a familiar with an at-will SLA.

or count against the number of spells you can normally cast per day

lol. gotta love the way wotc phrases things.
doesnt count towards your per day limit. no mention of spell slots.
domain access sorcerer limitation is a per day limit.

great find!

Darg
2020-11-29, 10:46 AM
That said, it's not clear to me that the ACF actually gives you the spells as spells known. The "Replaces" entry implies that it does, but the "Benefits" entry does not actually say the spells become spells known. Just that "you can cast one domain spell of each spell level available to you per day from that domain."

According to the PHB clerics and druids don't have spells known as they never learn the spells. Bonus domains according to CD are put on a spontaneous caster's list and is able to be selected as a spell known. The domain access sorcerer doesn't say that the domain spells require a spell slot to cast which means you basically get domain slots. So i guess technically they aren't spells known. Domain staffs are probably the way to go as they let you spontaneously cast your domain spells unless you want to get a prestige class, but you don't want to worship a deity. Sovereign speaker might work as you aren't tying yourself to one god or another.

Thurbane
2020-11-30, 04:36 PM
A dip into Wyrm Wizard or Recatser can add any spell to an arcane caster. WW would also require Arcane Preparation, for a Sorcerer.

newguydude1
2020-11-30, 04:38 PM
A dip into Wyrm Wizard or Recatser can add any spell to an arcane caster. WW would also require Arcane Preparation, for a Sorcerer.

not any, cant add domain spells because theyre not part of a class spell list.

anyways i found my target, fiendblooded and wyrm wizard. couldnt do wyrm wizard before because as sorcerer, that 3rd spell wouldve been obtained at 21st level. but by going fiendblooded to get the 2 spells i was gonna get a wyrm wizard, now i can use wyrm wizard to get miracle at level 19.

Thurbane
2020-11-30, 04:49 PM

Divine Crusader says hi. :smalltongue:

A divine crusader casts divine spells. She may only prepare and cast spells from her chosen domain (see above). Effectively, a divine crusader has a class spell list of only nine spells (one per spell level).

Rijan_Sai
2020-11-30, 06:15 PM
Divine Crusader says hi. :smalltongue:

Nice! Horrible spellcasting on an otherwise lackluster class gives way to Olroy (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Sheogorath) levels of cheese!

I like it! :smallbiggrin:

NigelWalmsley
2020-11-30, 07:28 PM

Miracle is on the Cleric list. It is also on domain lists, but that doesn't make it any less on the Cleric list. Since that's the spell you want, it doesn't matter whether or not Wyrm Wizards can learn Anyspell or whatever.

Piggy Knowles
2020-12-01, 10:03 AM
A runesmith can create a permanent rune of a domain access or Arcane Disciple domain spell, which would let him cast it as an SLA 2/day (in addition to the once per day he gets from the feat/class ability). Costs a spell slot and 5 levels in a dwarf-only prestige class, but the class is actually pretty decent if you can meet the pre-reqs.

Vaern
2020-12-01, 10:18 AM
I think the spell point variant removes the 1/day limitation on domain spells for clerics, since domain spell slots are no longer a thing in that case. You might be able to convince your DM that the same exception could be made for domain spells granted to others classes via class features or feats. Not exactly a RAW workaround, though.