PDA

View Full Version : Rogue (Inquisitive) Wood ElF Help

Nosta
2020-11-28, 10:09 PM
want to play him as a Character with high Dedutcive Reasoning who Fights with Daggers by using them in melee and by throwing them

I've plan on taking Observant and maxing my WISDOM .
I also plan on taking expertise In insight and Perception.

I have 5 level to work with
Should In to Strait Rogue or should I dip at 5th level?

A magic Dip or melee I kinda want to keep way from magic as much as I can

I want to boost his perception Both passive and active and his insight as I as I can
And some good strength in investigation is also wanted

RogueJK
2020-11-28, 11:44 PM
Unless there's some specific character concept you're after with multiclassing, or a specific party need you're looking to fill by dipping into another class, I'd just stick with Rogue. Rogue 5 gets you some nice benefits, including an extra Sneak Attack dice as well as the ever-useful Uncanny Dodge ability to halve incoming damage. Plus you're then only 1 more level away from being able to have Expertise in all 3 of the skills you're wanting to focus on.

In general, potentially good dips for a Rogue can include 1 level of Cleric (such as Arcana, Knowledge, Peace, or Twilight), 1 level of Sorcerer (such as Shadow or Divine Soul), 2 levels of Wizard (usually Bladesinger), 3-5 levels of Ranger (usually Gloomstalker), or 3-5 levels of Fighter (usually Battlemaster). But those all come at the cost of delaying your access to higher level Rogue ability, which are pretty great and come fairly steadily every level. And multiclassing is by no means necessary, or recommended for every Rogue.

Darthnazrael
2020-11-29, 05:29 AM
A case could definitely be made for moving into Rune Knight Fighter.
• Thrown Weapon Fighting and Dueling stack to pump dagger damage up to a reasonable level.
• Since your off-hand daggers don't get dex bonus, I'd personally suggest just wielding a shield instead.
• Action Surge is, of course, always great.

The Rune Knight subclass in particular gives several benefits that synergize well with a dagger-throwing Inquisitive.

• Cloud Rune: Advantage on Sleight of Hand and Deception are just generally good for a Rogue, and the attack redirect is neat. The 'regardless of range' clause negates the major flaw that abilities like this usually have, so you'll almost always be able to get your money's worth.
• Fire Rune: Extra damage that doesn't require you to gamble on whether you'll land this particular hit or not is nice. But the real benefit here is the Restrain. Also, Thieve's Tools Expertise is pretty sweet.
• Stone Rune: Advantage on Insight (!!!), plus Darkvision and a sweet Reaction ability to Incapacitate any poor fool that comes near you. This is a disengage that doesn't cost your bonus action, and if your DM rolls poorly, may actually steal a turn or two from them. What might you do with this spare bonus action, you ask?
• If you go to 7 (which I encourage), Storm Rune is bonkers, just read it.
• Giant's Might somewhat makes up for your loss in Sneak Attack progression, granting you a die of sneak attack, useable for 10xPB rounds a day.
• Giant's Might's size boost is largely inconsequential, but a really fun way to escape an inconvenient grapple or deal with those 10x10x10 pits that tend to pop up, especially in premade adventures ("I just reach up and climb out").

Overall, Rune Knight does a lot of advantage-granting, which is really nice for Inquisitives when you fail your Insight roll.

How I'd split up levels depends on what level you expect your campaign to end at. If you know you're going to 20, then it's worth holding out for Inquisitive 17, and only taking 3 levels of Rune Knight, so Fighter 1/Rogue 5/Fighter 2-3/Rogue 6-17. If you're not going to make it to 20, I'd probably go Fighter 1/Rogue 5/Fighter 2-11/Rogue 6-9, stopping wherever your campaign stops. Consider taking the Fighting Style feat in Tasha's to get the other half of ThrWF/Dueling.

Nosta
2020-11-29, 07:10 AM
What are some good uncommon magic items I can buy to help my rogue.
I should have enough for at least 1 item got 1000 good to spend and need some darts

Naanomi
2020-11-29, 07:28 AM
For Max wisdom inquisitive rogues, I actually like to take Magic Initiate and pick up Magic Stone (along with... Guidance and Faerie Fire usually)