PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Horn of the Warrens (Horn of Valhalla varient)

TelteWaywalker
2020-11-29, 05:54 AM
So, one of my players was complaining about how they never run into to many tough goblins to fight. So I started thinking of goblin feral gnashers, then thought how to some some to fight the party. I remembered the horn of Valhalla and went wait why not make a goblin version. So, here it is. Once I finish typing out the different level feral gnashers, I'll post it here. Just wanted to share the thought.

Horn of the Warrens
Aura strong conjuration; CL 13th; Slot —; Price 50,000 gp; Weight 2 lbs.

DESCRIPTION
This magic instrument comes in four varieties. Each appears to be a normal, scarred old horn used for hunting or signaling during battle. When someone speaks its command word and blows the horn, however, the horn summons a number of Goblin Feral Gnashers (goblin barbarian archetype) to fight for the character who summoned them. Each horn can be blown just once every 7 days. Roll d% and refer to the table above to see what type of horn is found. The horn’s type determines what barbarians are summoned and what prerequisite is needed to use the horn. Any character who uses a horn of the Warrens but doesn’t have the prerequisite is attacked by the barbarians she herself summoned.

d%
Type of Horn
Feral Gnashers Summoned
Prerequisite

01–40
Silver
2d4+2, 2nd-level
None

41–75
Brass
2d4+1, 3rd-level
Spellcaster level 1st

76–90
Bronze
2d4, 4th-level
Proficiency with all martial weapons or bardic performance ability

91–100
Iron
1d4+1, 5th-level
Proficiency with all martial weapons or bardic performance ability

Summoned barbarians are constructs, not actual people (though they seem to be); they arrive with the starting equipment for barbarians. They attack anyone the possessor of the horn commands them to fight until they or their opponents are slain or until 1 hour has elapsed, whichever comes first.

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS
Feats Craft Wondrous Item, summon monster VI; Cost 25,000 gp

noob
2020-11-29, 06:04 AM
The cost is high but the effect is extremely strong in low level adventurer hands (less so in high level ones because they often have options to swarm the board with stuff without buying a magical items)
Maybe make cost scale with the horn quality?

TelteWaywalker
2020-11-29, 06:10 AM
The cost is high but the effect is extremely strong in low level adventurer hands (less so in high level ones because they often have options to swarm the board with stuff without buying a magical items)
Maybe make cost scale with the horn quality?
I used the same cost value of a the standard version of the horn of Valhalla from the d20PFSRD, but I will look into change the values.

ParasocialTroop
2020-12-07, 02:45 PM
Yes, it is odd that the horn of Valhalla has 4 variants with the same cost. I suppose you get more summons when they are lower level, but I'd rather have average 3.5x lvl 5 summons rather than average 7x lvl 2 summons. Depending on how you build your goblin gnashers it might be fine to leave the cost alone. It's cool that you're making the character sheets because the book item seems to just leave that up to the DM.

Otherwise it seems like a fun re-skin of an item. Give those goblins some face time. It is very similar in concept to an item in the anime Overlord.

TelteWaywalker
2020-12-19, 04:41 AM
Otherwise it seems like a fun re-skin of an item. Give those goblins some face time. It is very similar in concept to an item in the anime Overlord.

I did think about including a special requirement to have the goblins stay longer, similar to how they in Overlord. ;)