PDA

View Full Version : How do maneuver prereqs work for multiclass adepts?

H_H_F_F
2020-11-29, 12:44 PM
Say A level 16 warblade with 2 White Raven maneuvers takes a level of crusader, and they want to learn Flanking Maneuver. Can they, using their warblade maneuvers to qualify?

Alternatively, a swordsage/crusader becomes a Mo9. Can they learn a setting-sun maneuver as a crusader maneuver, using their swordsage maneuvers to qualify?

Thanks!

Hunter Noventa
2020-11-29, 02:10 PM
Say A level 16 warblade with 2 White Raven maneuvers takes a level of crusader, and they want to learn Flanking Maneuver. Can they, using their warblade maneuvers to qualify?

Alternatively, a swordsage/crusader becomes a Mo9. Can they learn a setting-sun maneuver as a crusader maneuver, using their swordsage maneuvers to qualify?

Thanks!

They have to be allowed to learn the Maneuver by the class that's gaining it.

So in the above examples, your Warblade/Crusader could learn Flanking Maneuver, since White Raven is available to Crusaders.

But for your Mo9, the text says:

If you have levels in more than one martial adept class, you choose which recovery method you will use based on which adept class the new maneuver you are learning applies to. Once this choice is made it cannot be changed.
I could see an argument either way, but I'd lean towards letting it be on the 'list' of either class. But as the text says, that's how you use/recover it, so you'd only be able to use the Crusader method of recovery for the Setting Sun maneuver.

Darg
2020-11-29, 02:29 PM
Maneuvers must have prerequisites met. How you meet them is up to you. The initial access only has to do with what you know. If you gain access to another discipline through another class or using the available feats you can use your maneuvers known to select more of the new discipline that you meet the prerequisites for.

You still have to meet the class level required, but you can select any maneuvers you qualify for with your differing classes. So to answer your questions, yes and yes if all requirements are met. You can bypass the level requirement with the martial study feat.

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-29, 02:39 PM
Maneuvers are a bit tricky compared to say spell lists. They work totally different.

There is only one "Maneuvers known" list a character has, despite the amount of martial adept classes.
What you are noting on your character sheet are the "different recovery methods" they (can) have (1/encounter if you got it from Martial Study without a martial adept class or the class from which you picked it up).

With this in mind, we can say that once you have unlocked a discipline it counts for all classes (as maneuvers known) similar to unlocking disciplines with Martial Study. But.. you still need to qualify for the Initiator lvl in the class(es) mentioned by the maneuver. The mentioned classes count 1:1 while all other classes (including other martial adept classes) only count as 1/2. (edit: and what Darg said. With Martial Study you can bypass the lvl requirement with a strict RAW reading)

Fun Fact:
The martial adept classes allow you to exchange known maneuvers for new ones. You aren't limited to select maneuvers where the refreshing method is bound to the class you are leveling up. E.g you lvl up Warblade to (iirc) 4 and can trade a Crusader (refreshing) maneuver away and pick a new maneuver which gets Warblade refreshing. This method can be abused to build Idiot Crusaders, who refresh all their (left) crusader maneuvers every round.

H_H_F_F
2020-11-29, 03:02 PM
Thank you guys! This was what I thought, but I've never played with ToB so I wanted to make sure.

Darg
2020-11-29, 03:25 PM
(edit: and what Darg said. With Martial Study you can bypass the lvl requirement with a strict RAW reading)

It literally says you can on page 44 where it provides descriptions on the parts of reading maneuvers under "Level." I don't think there is any other way to read it.

Gruftzwerg
2020-11-30, 09:38 AM
It literally says you can on page 44 where it provides descriptions on the parts of reading maneuvers under "Level." I don't think there is any other way to read it.

Don't get me wrong, I share your opinion on this. But I had a discussion a while ago where others where under the assumtion that "level" is part of the requirement, but I don't think so. The level paragraph redirects Martial Study users to the Requirements section and that doesn't ask for lvl, just maneuvers known.

GrayDeath
2020-12-05, 08:34 AM
Arguing RAW, especially "it doesnt specifically say you cant-RAW", in regards to one of, if not THE, worst edited books of 3.5 WILL however get books thrown at you at many a table.

Just a fair warning. ^^

illyahr
2020-12-06, 02:30 PM
Arguing RAW, especially "it doesnt specifically say you cant-RAW", in regards to one of, if not THE, worst edited books of 3.5 WILL however get books thrown at you at many a table.

Just a fair warning. ^^

I fully believe someone got fired over the ToB "errata" file :smallbiggrin: