PDA

View Full Version : Might I ask for character ideas? Feel a bit 'meh' and uninspired.

Odessa333
2020-11-29, 03:22 PM
Hello there!

So I recently wrapped up a two year long campaign as the party's cleric, having run from level 1 to 20. We're starting Rime up now, with Tasha's allowed, so there's a lot of new stuff to go through. I should be excited. Yet I must admit I have the holiday blues that are all too common this time of year, and feeling really down. I have barely touched tasha's yet and I need to pick a character this week. If you have a moment to spare, I'd like to borrow some inspiration, try to spark something to help get me out of this haze. Thank you for your time.

EggKookoo
2020-11-29, 03:30 PM
What kind of shows or stories are you consuming these days? Anything from there you could replicate?

Or build things against type. A vengeance paladin who's always cheerful. A rogue that wants to be popular musician. An excessively mannered and polite barbarian (rage = "well I never!"). A brutish and slovenly wizard. A germaphobe druid.

Naanomi
2020-11-29, 03:36 PM
Lets see... characters in my 'things I want to try from Tasha's' pile...

A Deuregar Rune-Knight Grappler
A Goblin Armorer stealth focused character
A Human Arcane-Trickster with the Telekinetic feat
A Mountain Dwarf Aberrant Mind sorcerer who uses no spells with material components
A Genie-Pact Warlock merchant
A Kenku Scribe-Wizard looking to make perfect copies of lost tomes

Older character concepts on my reserve list...

Yuan-Ti Alchemist poisonmaster
Warforged Artillarist Megaman
Gnome or Kobold Battlesmith riding his mechasteed
Half-Orc Zealot ex-criminal who 'found the light'
Tortle Spore-Druid tank who adventures because his drug-addled visions told him to
Halfling Open-Hand Monk Gladiator who pretends to be a human child
A Fallen-Asimar Conquest Paladin ex-slave turned slaver, looking for redemption (but not very hard)
A Svirfneblin Gloomstalker archeologist, exploring ancient underdark ruins for 'the university'
A Changeling Assassin charisma-focused rogue (using Magic Stone via Magic Initiate)
A Half-Drow Hexblade with the 'faceless' background who masquerades as a vengeful wraith to avenge murders (and other superheroics)

Unoriginal
2020-11-29, 03:46 PM
Hello there!

So I recently wrapped up a two year long campaign as the party's cleric, having run from level 1 to 20. We're starting Rime up now, with Tasha's allowed, so there's a lot of new stuff to go through. I should be excited. Yet I must admit I have the holiday blues that are all too common this time of year, and feeling really down. I have barely touched tasha's yet and I need to pick a character this week. If you have a moment to spare, I'd like to borrow some inspiration, try to spark something to help get me out of this haze. Thank you for your time.

Leonin Conquest Paladin Noble could make for a good character both thematically and mechanically.

Variant Human Monk Folk Hero or Athlete with Fighting Initiate (Unarmed) could be pretty damn nice, if you like the different flavors of pugilists.

Beast Barbarian could also be nice in Icewind Dale.

Bilbron
2020-11-29, 03:51 PM
Hello there!

Bladesinger ;-)

CTurbo
2020-11-29, 04:10 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with either Tasha's or Icewind Dale, but I've been pretty excited about the new Beast Barbarian. I think Goliath would be fitting for "far north" adventures.

After Barbarian 5, I'd look to either multiclassing 3 levels of Gloom Stalker, or swap over to Druid for good. You have several different "fun" option for Druid.

Moon of course is always a good option.

Wildfire, as mentioned above, would be pretty cool.

Stars or Twilight could be interesting.

Land (Arctic or Grasslands) would be great too.

Taebyn
2020-11-29, 04:49 PM
Bladesinger assassin. Criticals apply to spells if there’s an attack role. You can check Crawford tweets if you doubt. Setting up critical spells such as steelwind strike with invisibility. It also has movement 40 and cunning action on top of that.

blackjack50
2020-11-29, 04:58 PM
Hello there!

Pick a character role play concept that you really like. Don’t even worry about race and class. Those will flow naturally. Once the role play is figured out? You can build from there. I feel like you really need to be invested in the story of your character to play it. My current character is basically a “used car salesmen.” He is a pudgy half elf who loves buying and selling. It lent itself to a bard. But I love playing him. I can haggle the hind quarters off a donkey.

Example: I had a character arc that I want to play really bad: a chaotic evil character who has just been released from prison. He now has to navigate life with a group. The kicker is that the group is slowly turning him from chaotic evil in to a good character. Obviously discuss with DM and other players. And make sure you have a reason to not go right back in to chaotic evil (because chaotic evil can be concerned with things like not going back to prison or getting caught).

I also have a concept for someone everyone believes is a lunatic, but he is ACTUALLY having a conversation with an entity on another plane that is watching him like a television show. And that entity also tries to talk him in to doing crazy things. That entity can be the DM or you. Or just randomly rolled “advice.” Or even just a magic 8 ball.

J-H
2020-11-29, 05:08 PM
I like to have characters that work both mechanically and thematically. Here are two that are on my list to play:

Barbarian: Totem Barb (Wolf at level 3), with PoleArm Master, spear, and shield. Nets me a Bonus Action attack every round, and a reaction attack fairly frequently.
I give up 2d6 (7) damage per round vs a greatsword, but gain 1d4+str (6-9 at STR 20) from the PAM, plus even more from the reaction. Still a bit less damage than GWM, but will almost always hit, plus tank, plus help party members.
If can hit 20s in all physical stats, ends up with a ridiculous AC 24 at level 20, and 285hp... plus granting advantage to allies, plus a hop/fly speed of 40'.

Rogue: Insight Rogue, Halfling, Noble background. His job is to ham it up as the nobleman and battlefield commander. With Bountiful Luck, he can negate one allied "rolled a 1" per round, and with the Lucky feat, he can reroll 3/day in addition to that. Insight Rogue lets him grant someone advantage once per round, and it lets him get his sneak attack against targets even solo. Social skills for the win.

Amdy_vill
2020-11-29, 05:16 PM
kobold spore Druid swam ranger. you are the master of nature and bioweapons.
centaur armorer artificer, you are a tank. be a tank
tempus cleric and armorer artificer, iron man

blackjack50
2020-11-29, 05:26 PM
I like to have characters that work both mechanically and thematically. Here are two that are on my list to play:

Barbarian: Totem Barb (Wolf at level 3), with PoleArm Master, spear, and shield. Nets me a Bonus Action attack every round, and a reaction attack fairly frequently.
I give up 2d6 (7) damage per round vs a greatsword, but gain 1d4+str (6-9 at STR 20) from the PAM, plus even more from the reaction. Still a bit less damage than GWM, but will almost always hit, plus tank, plus help party members.
If can hit 20s in all physical stats, ends up with a ridiculous AC 24 at level 20, and 285hp... plus granting advantage to allies, plus a hop/fly speed of 40'.

Rogue: Insight Rogue, Halfling, Noble background. His job is to ham it up as the nobleman and battlefield commander. With Bountiful Luck, he can negate one allied "rolled a 1" per round, and with the Lucky feat, he can reroll 3/day in addition to that. Insight Rogue lets him grant someone advantage once per round, and it lets him get his sneak attack against targets even solo. Social skills for the win.

To me...”thematically” means it needs to fit the story. So I’d say I agree (ish as I think I get what you are saying). Like if I wanted to be a barbarian in a city based game...he would be a criminal “leg breaker” type. Or same setting...a Druid who runs a nursery (plant) or garden of some kind. :)

ftafp
2020-11-29, 05:56 PM
I'm personally losing it at this character idea

he's a "centaur body builder" in the doctor moreau sense of the word. When he's first introduced to the party he looks almost the way you'd expect a centaur body builder to look (i.e. Alex Louise Armstrong but he's a horse below the waist), except his human torso is coming out of the wrong end of the horse.

During every long rest thereafter in which he has privacy he changes his body up slightly. Maybe his torso is on the correct end of the horse, but the horse's head is coming out of his chest. Or maybe he'll be human from the knees up, and each leg ends in a horse body.

Worse, he's a beast barbarian, so he might swap out the horse with a kangaroo or an orangutan using his sixth level ability. When he rages he doesn't grow claws, he just takes the skin of his hands off like gloves (or his hooves if his present form doesn't have hands) and claws people with his finger bones

The morning after the party gets an ASI they might wake up to him making breakfast courtesy of the Chef feat. He sets down a stack of pancakes next to a tall glass of milk, and only after someone drinks it does he take his apron off to show he has udders now

His whole personality should otherwise be completely hammy and lawful good. He's an upstanding citizen with no vices or perversions, he just has a really weird idea of body-building culture

blackjack50
2020-11-29, 06:14 PM
I'm personally losing it at this character idea

he's a "centaur body builder" in the doctor moreau sense of the word. When he's first introduced to the party he looks almost the way you'd expect a centaur body builder to look (i.e. Alex Louise Armstrong but he's a horse below the waist), except his human torso is coming out of the wrong end of the horse.

During every long rest thereafter in which he has privacy he changes his body up slightly. Maybe his torso is on the correct end of the horse, but the horse's head is coming out of his chest. Or maybe he'll be human from the knees up, and each leg ends in a horse body.

Worse, he's a beast barbarian, so he might swap out the horse with a kangaroo or an orangutan using his sixth level ability. When he rages he doesn't grow claws, he just takes the skin of his hands off like gloves (or his hooves if his present form doesn't have hands) and claws people with his finger bones

The morning after the party gets an ASI they might wake up to him making breakfast courtesy of the Chef feat. He sets down a stack of pancakes next to a tall glass of milk, and only after someone drinks it does he take his apron off to show he has udders now

His whole personality should otherwise be completely hammy and lawful good. He's an upstanding citizen with no vices or perversions, he just has a really weird idea of body-building culture

“Body building” vs bodybuilding. Lol he put a space where there was none.

Emongnome777
2020-11-29, 06:28 PM
Knowing the rest of the party make-up may help narrow your focus.

I don't suppose this is particularly inspirational, but playing a character that could use a great deal of fire (evoker wizard, draconic sorcerer, wildfire druid) would be a good fit in RotF, or at least would be a better opportunity to play a character like that than in Avernus for instance.

From a D&D Beyond search (which seems to include monsters that are in the adventure, not just new ones from the adventure), there are only 3 fire immune monsters plus a dozen or so with resistance.

togapika
2020-11-30, 01:11 AM
Genesai Genie Warlock whose patron is one of their parents. They granted them power more to keep them on a leash and aware of their comings and goings.

Kane0
2020-11-30, 02:03 AM
A dude that got reincarnated as an elf and is now slightly insane due to lack of sleep

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-11-30, 02:26 AM
Wizard/monk with only wizard levels.

Be a part of a scholary temple.
Use the scribe School and focus on writing books about the things you encounter and send the books to the temple.

Work best with a monk character from the same temple in the party.

Segev
2020-11-30, 02:46 AM
If you just want mechanical toys to inspire you, I suggest the https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?477658-Illusionist-Tricks]Illusionist ( [url) Tricks[/url] thread. It was these tricks that made me want to play an illusionist.

But the two things I need to inspire me are mechanics that do interesting things and setting info that lets me fit the character to the game. What do you know of the setting and the party-to-be?

Unoriginal
2020-11-30, 08:03 AM
A Dao Genie Warlock who's been sent to Icewind Dale to find a way in and get on top of the mining/ore selling industry in the region.

loki_ragnarock
2020-11-30, 08:58 AM
A Scourge Aasimar/Storm Herald Barbarian who hugs things to death.

Never use weapons, just a bare-chested grappler with an actual aura of destruction. Use a bullwhip (it hardly counts as a weapon!) and the sentinel feat to keep things not actively being hugged to death in your aura of majesty in one hand, grappling with the other.

I find Barbarians to be a good palette cleanser.

For personality, well:
Base him off Bull Ramos. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofLN824zzDI)

Friendly older dude with the Folk Hero background and the land vehicles proficiency drawn into one last adventure.

What other suggestions came with a theme song?

patchyman
2020-11-30, 10:05 AM
IÂ’ve been wanting to play a Goliath Rune Knight, really lean in to the Giantkin aspect of goliaths.

Another idea IÂ’ve been playing with is a Dwarf Druid (Land: Mountain). Focus on the Earth/Stone spells. Flavour Fog Cloud as a cloud of dust. Explain the no metal armor as a vow your character (or his order of Blessed of Moradin) made. Awe your friends with the power of Earth!

Hal
2020-11-30, 10:41 AM
Given that you just wrapped up a two year campaign, I'd take this opportunity to play something completely different. In particular, something that could be fun to RP at the table and develop their personality.

For example, one of the players in my game had been playing a dwarf paladin, but asked to change; he was playing paladins in two other games (!) already, and really wanted to do something different. So he ended up as an air genasi drunken master monk, playing the character as a wandering gourmand looking to experience as much as possible. The new character was a great fit, he's enjoyed playing him at the table, and the character's flaws make for some wonderful (and hilarious) moments.

So, the best advice I can give is to try to do something very different from your last character. Look at the list of character traits on every background and see if anything registers. Check out the d100 table of character traits in the 3.5 DMG; roll a few times and see if it sparks anything. Try a class or race you've never played before.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-30, 10:47 AM
Recommendations:

Fire Genasi or Tiefling Warlock, Genie patron.

You are here to deal with the cold, so you bring fire.

===========

Goliath: Beast Barbarian. Embrace your inner animal.

Aasimar bard (Eloquence); something supernatural needs sorting out. Send a partially supernatural being.

Goliath: Rune Knight. Almost a perfect fit.

Monk, vHuman, Sun Soul. Never had a bad time with that class/sub class.

Mercurias
2020-12-01, 01:44 AM
-Warforged Clockwork Sorcerer who wants to turn into a real flesh and blood mortal.
-Human Twilight Cleric who became noticed by her/his/their/xir deity while serving as a member of the city's night watch.
-Triton Fathomless Warlock whose pact requires a quest to find a crimson pearl stolen from the depths.
-Fallen Aasimar Watcher Paladin who swore an oath to guard the site of a portal to the Abyss...Which vanished after a solar eclipse.
-Mark of Healing Halfling Mercy Monk who served as her/his/their/xir hamlet's healer and protector, then left once their apprentice's training had been completed to practice the old adage, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," by means of occasionally swapping 'prevention' with 'pugilism'.

ftafp
2020-12-02, 12:35 AM
a twitchy, anxious and paranoid whisper halfling swarm ranger whose swarm is a pile of stuffed animals he never gets out from underneath that he drags with him as he moves. they seem to be controlled through telekinesis