PDA

View Full Version : Catfolk Monk

Danin
2007-11-05, 12:09 AM
The title pretty much says it all. Well, all of it in a very concise form, but never the less I suspect you got the point. Would being a catfolk solve some of the problems that the monk faces? For those of you who do not have Races of the Wild, a catfolk is a +1 level adjustment race of plains dwelling cat people that tend towards chaos. While that is not too relivent, the fact that they have a naturally high dex and natural armour, in addition to a 40 foot move speed is. Still, this wouldn't be too big a deal if there wasn't a feat (Catfolk Pounce) that gave them the pounce ability (Full attack on a charge).

Now I don't have too much of a head for optimization, but when it comes to making an effective monk it seems like this would be a viable option as it would allow a furry of blows attempt on a charge. Through a combination of Tumbling Charge, Acrobatic charge and a beefy AC against attacks of oppertunity due to mobility, it seems as though you could have a very mobile engine of distruction with furrious fists. The most effective character in the world? Probably not, but as monks go I think it is a decent idea.

I've also been awake for several days now so how coherent this post is... well, I can't tell right now.

Kaelik
2007-11-05, 12:39 AM
Still, this wouldn't be too big a deal if there wasn't a feat (Catfolk Pounce) that gave them the pounce ability (Full attack on a charge).

The problem is that Catfolk pounce only grants a full attack if you charge them while they are flat-footed. As such, not so great.

Temp
2007-11-05, 12:51 AM
Somewhat related:
I'm not up-to date on the errata, so has there ever been an official verdict on whether Gauntlet attacks count as Unarmed Strikes?

...Just in case Claws of the Leopard have [legally] solved half the Monk's problems yet.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-05, 04:40 AM
Somewhat related:
I'm not up-to date on the errata, so has there ever been an official verdict on whether Gauntlet attacks count as Unarmed Strikes?

...Just in case Claws of the Leopard have [legally] solved half the Monk's problems yet.

CotL are spiked gauntlets, so they are not considered unarmed strikes/attacks and since they are not special monk weapons either, they cannot be used with FoB.

Regular enchanted gauntlets could be used with FoB under any reasonable interpretation of the SRD and FAQ, but by a strict reading the monk is not proficient with gauntlets.

Gauntlet: This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack.

Person_Man
2007-11-05, 11:03 AM
Classic Monk Problems:

MAD
3/4 BAB
Limited Offensive Abilities
Lowish AC in some cases
Lowish Hit Points in some cases

Being a Catfolk really doesn't solve any of these problems. In fact, the LA makes them slightly worse.

They get a ton of great stuff at low levels, but by mid-high levels, you really need a good PrC or magic item combo if you want to optimize a Monk. Or you can just talk to the other players in their group and ask them to not optimize their PCs.

Danin
2007-11-05, 11:09 AM
Sorry, I only glanced over the feat discription. I really am sorry for this post in general actually, it was born more out of semi-concious musings than any well considered thought. Ooh well, just looking to help a poor class in need.