PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Game....

commander43
2007-11-05, 12:09 AM
I was just thinking, what about a "Giant Robots" type D&D game. Keep in mind, I thought this up about 2 minutes ago....so...not exactly a complete thought.

I don't have whatever D&D book explains using vehicles, but this setting would obviously make heavy use of this. There could be different classes, for instance, one focuses on the fighting abilities of the mech, while another might be a mechanic, who is mainly technical, and could perform quick battle repairs to keep his mech running, or overclock his mech to make it stronger for a short time, but at a price (like a barbarian rage).

But obviously, most of the game depends on the Mech. Your class is mostly flavor, it's your mech or mechs that define you.

Players could start with a Mech of Large size...basically just a bodysuit that you step into. But Mechs could be truly huge, and these mechs could require multiple operators.

As for the setting, I was thinking a very post-apocalyptic world, in which some disaster has rendered the world completely uninhabitable to humans. So humans could only dwell either in large domes that are protected from the elements...or, of course in mechs. All big mechs are equipped with platforms that can lift smaller mechs into airlocks, and tunnels that can connect to other mechs so that mech operators could meet. These tunnels open up the possibility of boarding mechs to do battle with small arms....but of course the combat between mechs is more emphasized. Of course, some have created truly massive mechs that might house hundreds of people. All mech construction has to be done by mechs or inside other mechs.

I'm sorry if this sounds very disjointed, but the idea just kind of sprang to me.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Anything? Would anybody be willing to help me put this setting/rule system together in some way? I don't really have much experience with homebrewing.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-05, 12:37 AM
Yo. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39518)

Although in that game, we're just given way-over-wealth-by-level suits of armor that make us count as Large or Huge, and call it a day.

Related threads:
OOC thread with "mech" stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39684)
Second party's (longer) IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39617)

commander43
2007-11-05, 12:42 AM
Aah! My idea was stolen before I even thought of it....preemptive theft...

But other then using Giant Robots in D&D rules, it's pretty different. That game is mostly just D&D with Robots. This is more a unique setting, just with D&D rules.

However, I definitely should watch that game to get ideas.

Tengu
2007-11-05, 12:45 AM
By the way, though I haven't played any of those games, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Battletech captures the spirit of western mecha and BESM (tri-stat, not D20) of the eastern ones much better.

Zincorium
2007-11-05, 01:06 AM
Dragonmech is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

-Post apocalyptic setting (pretty good one, actually)
-Mecha
-D&D rules
-Prestige classes which enable cool things with mechs

The thing about the survivors in domed cities/and or mechs? Yeah, they did that.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-05, 01:15 AM
Other thoughts on mecha game systems:

Mekton Zeta is the standard for Eastern Real Robots, although it is way too complex for my tastes.

I'm also in a game by TamerBill that does mecha with a simplified 3d6 system. It's sort of like classless, levelless D&D. For bonus points, it's even post-apocalyptic inside domes!

Iron Kingdoms has Sakura Taisen-style steam-powered mecha in an eighteenth/nineteenth century setting. This is the closest to D&D in rules, being a d20 system. The focus isn't really on the mecha though, as much as it is on a fantastic industrial revolution.

commander43
2007-11-05, 01:30 AM
Small misunderstanding that probably happened because of my disjointed writing....

I didn't really mean D&D with Mechs, I meant Mechs with D&D rules, so no magic and elves and such :P

I'm sure there's some d20 system with Mechs out there, but I don't really have any experience with anything but D&D, so that's kind of my starting point.

drawingfreak
2007-11-05, 12:01 PM
Watch Gurren-Laggan for story ideas. Best Giant Robot Anime Ever. [/comic book guy]

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-05, 01:10 PM
Small misunderstanding that probably happened because of my disjointed writing....

I didn't really mean D&D with Mechs, I meant Mechs with D&D rules, so no magic and elves and such :P

I'm sure there's some d20 system with Mechs out there, but I don't really have any experience with anything but D&D, so that's kind of my starting point.

Is THIS (http://ca.geocities.com/spike_fightwicky/d20modernsrd/futuremech.html) what you're looking for? d20 Future has mech rules. Unfortunately, d20 Future: Apocalypse (post apocalyptic d20 setting) isn't SRD, so it's not included.

InfiniteMiller
2007-11-05, 02:14 PM
Incidentally, in the gameworld I'm currently playing in, there was at some time in the past where a legion of paladins and a legion of druids battled with giant thematic golems (I visualized it as like an ivory golem vs. a giant treant or something) that was powered by golfball-sized stones. These stones grant their users SLAs as long as they are of the correct class (druid or paladin).

Admittedly, we don't yet know a lot about this battle or the circumstances leading up to it. We just know it's gonna cause some problems later, what with me playing a paladin and another player being a druid. :)

But it sounds like a giant robot theme to me.