PDA

View Full Version : What System For Pokemon?

JNAProductions
2020-11-29, 10:59 PM
Why Pokemon?
Because Pokemon.

I know of PTU, but it's a little too crunchy for my tastes at the moment. Any other good systems for a good ol' Pokemoning?

Lord Raziere
2020-11-29, 11:25 PM
Fate is always an option?

I'd also say MnM is an option with its arrays allowing you to be able to summon six different things and switch them out, but you have to build every pokemon you summon from points up just like you have to build the trainer.

if I recall, Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine either can be pokemon or used pokemon as an example of how it works for something, but its Chuubo's and I don't understand how Chuubo's works myself despite having the book....so I dunno.

BESM has the Pet Monster Tamer template and I assume it being an anime system its built to handle a pokemon game having specific stuff for it, but I'm not sure if its less crunchy than PTU?

I dunno, PTU is kind of uniquely specialized for this sort of thing. most systems are all about controlling one character, because controlling more than one gets into minionmancy concerns. when pokemon is all about the minionmancy.

I could try googling this but I'm not sure if I'd get anything but PTU results spat back out at me.

GentlemanVoodoo
2020-11-29, 11:26 PM
PTU is the general go to but I am sure there is a D20 version of Pokemon somewhere on the internet. Only other real systems would be Fate or perhaps Mutants and Masterminds that I know of.

Did recall also there was a 5E homebrew of pokemon that was sizable in terms of content.

Wraith
2020-11-30, 04:03 AM
Savage Worlds might work. Make a character with the 'Child' Flaw, then pick a creature off the list of enemies, give it one Edge (It's Hidden Ability) and a couple of Magical Powers, and you're pretty much done.

Pick an appropriate combination - Horse/Blast spell for a Ponyta, etc - and it will probably be okay if you track your Mons' XP along with your own so that they can pick up more Edges and Powers later.

Not sure how Evolution would work in such circumstances.... Maybe +15XP and an appropriate free Edge when they hit an appropriate Rank, to make them bigger/tougher/whatever?

JNAProductions
2020-11-30, 12:36 PM
I might recheck PTU. Been a while since I've really played with it, but I do remember it being unneededly complex.

I dunno. Thanks all, for your advice! :)

Cygnia
2020-11-30, 12:46 PM
BESM had the "Cute & Fuzzy Seizure Monsters" sourcebook back in the day if I remember correctly.

And there's always Pokethulhu...:smalltongue:

Razade
2020-11-30, 12:56 PM
I am currently writing a Powered by the Apocalypse hack for Pokemon. I have only a few more things to do before it goes into playtesting. I hope to have it in PDF form by mid-year next year. I'd be happy to share what I've got until then.

Here's the intro page on all the concepts for people to look over if they're interested. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QjH3xS-_eG13wMeD90E2gpj7rPlQL6jdVGMjvYPv2rI/edit?usp=sharing)

Martin Greywolf
2020-11-30, 01:53 PM
I have to second FATE here. Problem is, Pokemon can mean a whole lot of things - do you want to feel it like the anime, manga, GB games, Let's go? All of these are Pokemon and all of these have different requirements - with FATE, you just tweak a few things here and there and call it a day.

zarionofarabel
2020-11-30, 03:51 PM
Toon: The Cartoon Roleplaying Game!

DataNinja
2020-12-02, 04:30 PM
I might recheck PTU. Been a while since I've really played with it, but I do remember it being unneededly complex.

I dunno. Thanks all, for your advice! :)
As a dev for PTU, there is a lot of cruft in the system, and that is known. (It's why the other devs have moved on to create a much more refined system, while I keep the 'Dexes coming.) However, if you pop in the Discord (https://discord.gg/p4hr3bb), there're a lot of collected resources based on the 5+ years of experience with the system. And they cut down a lot on unneeded stuff. Make things a fair bit simpler in spots.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-12-02, 07:26 PM
STaRS (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/268061/STaRS-The-Simple-Tabletop-Roleplaying-System) would work! One of the sample magic systems is pretty close to Pokemon; if you're interested, I could do a slightly expanded writeup.

Yael
2020-12-06, 01:29 AM
PTU (1.05) is pretty easy to get hang of, considering how mechanically complex the games are.

I recommend this system because it focuses on minionmancy and it kind of balances off the aspect, having the trainers to be useful and active during battle is pretty nice. Also, you can fluff it up to other settings like the ever good space opera, or a warring kingdoms style of game.