PDA

View Full Version : 120 foot darkvision/Devil's Sight + barbarian eagle vision?

Greywander
2020-11-30, 01:46 AM
The eagle totem feature allows you to see fine details out to 1 mile as if it was only 100 feet away (100 feet is still pretty far, though...). If you have darkvision out to 120 feet somehow, or Devil's Sight, would those benefits extend out to a mile? My gut says the eagle vision only applies to seeing fine details; it does not let you see things as if they were 100 feet away, it only let's you see fine details as if they were 100 feet away. It's a small difference in wording, but it does seem like it would lean towards not extending darkvision or Devil's Sight out to 1 mile.

Unoriginal
2020-11-30, 02:19 AM
The eagle totem feature allows you to see fine details out to 1 mile as if it was only 100 feet away (100 feet is still pretty far, though...). If you have darkvision out to 120 feet somehow, or Devil's Sight, would those benefits extend out to a mile? My gut says the eagle vision only applies to seeing fine details; it does not let you see things as if they were 100 feet away, it only let's you see fine details as if they were 100 feet away. It's a small difference in wording, but it does seem like it would lean towards not extending darkvision or Devil's Sight out to 1 mile.

Your gut feeling is correct, as far as I can tell. Darkvision and Devil's Sight work within a set number of feet around the person, neither feature is affected by effects allowing one to see further or more precisely with one's regular sight (that is to say, you'll see more precisely, but only within the field granted by Darkvision/Devil's Sight).

Segev
2020-11-30, 03:09 AM
The exact wording is: “ You can see up to 1 mile away with no difficulty, able to discern even fine details as though looking at something no more than 100 feet away from you.”

It could be (mis)interpreted to be saying you can see out to a mile with no difficulty regardless of any conditions that might provide said difficulty. So darkness, fog, or even walls don’t stop you.

That is rather silly, though.

It probably is intended as just letting you see fine details and such as well as you could at 100 feet.

However, it’s wording is “...even fine details,” which implies more is meant and intended. It’s likely a cheesy interpretation to say that 120 ft. darkvision and Devil’s Sight extend to one mile, but the RAW at least do support that interpretation.

Honestly, it’s a fairly weak power even with that extension. It’s neat and kind-of funny, but the effort to take advantage of it is not trivial and it’s actual utility in most games is questionable.

CTurbo
2020-11-30, 06:42 AM
I'd say the darkvision range limit would still be restricted to it's set range, but Devil's Sight gives no range limit that I'm aware of so it would work out to a mile.

My ridiculous friend built an entire character around the Eagle Barb's mile out vision feature. You know the whole Eagle Barb with Keen Mind and Observant trick? You know the whole Eldritch Blast + Eldritch Spear + Distance Spell + Spell Sniper trick for 1200ft Eldritch Blasts? Well this guy did all that with one character in a crazy convoluted Gestalt build with silly high rolled stats. He was Aarakocra Totem Barb/Shadow Sorcerer with some Warlock and Gloom Stalker mixed in for good measure. Playing with a character that could see for a mile, read lips, notice everything, and remember everything was exhausting for both the players and DM. Dude kept a notebook that he wrote in constantly and it was disruptive to gameplay.

I can see a more seriously played Eagle Barb with Keen Mind and/or Observant being pretty cool to play though. Especially with a fly speed.

Unoriginal
2020-11-30, 06:52 AM
I'd say the darkvision range limit would still be restricted to it's set range, but Devil's Sight gives no range limit that I'm aware of so it would work out to a mile.

The Devil's Sight Invocation has 120ft of range.