PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Possilbe Protoss builds with Tasha's

ScoutTrooper
2020-11-30, 08:48 AM
I guess before Tulok the Barbarian maybe gets there, if they know anything of the Starcraft-verse. Zealots are a warrior type unit, large heavy armor, psionic blades for weapons. The armor can augment them, all Protoss have psionic abilities and they get rechargeable overshields.

So Without really paper and penciling it out, and also being Forever DM, and not a math cruncher. I give for your consideration and feedback.

Not going to custom linage for Protoss, as that's subject to DM approval. For now Let's use everyone's favorite template. VHuman, however Half-Orc with some customization could be useful too. Depending on what's in mind to capture as Protoss'y as you can in high fantasy (Low Magic, or High) Aasimar I think works too.

Let's go Standard Array, I'm sure Point-buy works, but stating the obvious, some decent rolls.
Stats, let's max STR, followed by INT, then go Con > Dex > Wis ? Cha

1st Level; Rogue. We're going til 3rd to get our Psionic Blade, the Zealots had the cool wrist blades, it's the closest thing.
Now we got our sneak attack and psychic damage dealing weapon that can be wielded in our hands, let's address the armor.

4th Level; Artificer, pick spells to help augment yourself, like Jump. Cantrips I'm going Message for that telepathic flavor and shocking grasp. This build is to be in melee. Take Artificer to 3rd Level and pick Armorer; Guardian. Their Defensive Field is practically like the Protoss's...ish. Take Artificer to 5th level, for that Extra Attack.

So I feel that's a good foundation, depending on your favorite Protoss unit You could start to change this up if you want to stay Zealot, or perhaps Dark Templar, or High Templar.

Keep going to 9 levels in Artificer for Zealot. Go 13 levels in Rouge to get that Psychic Veil, now you're Dark Templar'eqse. You could multiclass again for either Storm Sorcerer or Wizard with a bunch of lightning/thunder spells for High Templar.

Pretty much that's as far as I got on my read through Tasha's and a case of insomnia that got me the foundation. That and I've never got anywhere near level 20 to warrant the full build plan. I just wanted to write this all down and get this out to the playground. Enjoy, tell me what you think, if you're a fan of Starcraft and Protoss, how close do you think it is ?

MrStabby
2020-11-30, 09:10 AM
Oooops. Didn't mean to write this. Ignore.

Droppeddead
2020-11-30, 09:15 AM
This was a fun one. For that true psychic alien feeling though, I would suggest some kind of Gith would work best. I'm not sure if Rogue is actually needed, the Psychic blades is a piece of weaponry after all, kind of like light sabres. That said, it's a matter of choice. If you don't go for Rogue I would suggest getting a few levels of Fighter (Samurai, Battle Master, Champion all work) for Zealots and Gloom Stalker for Dark Templars.

Armorer is a great choice, especially if you go Infilitrator for Dark Templars.

Cool topic, let's see what else people can think of.

KorvinStarmast
2020-11-30, 11:57 AM
Dex Build, so Dex > Con > Int > Wis > Str > cha
Start: 16 Dex; 14 Con; 14 Int; 12 Wis; 14 Str; 8 Cha (Or something close to that)
With the floating +1/+2 idea
14 13 13 14 10 8 => 14+2, 13+1, 13+1, 14+0 11 8
Final answer:
S 11 D 16 C 14 I 14 W 14 Ch 8

Githyanki, Gloom Stalker Ranger, two weapon fighting style through level five or six, short swords. Shine them up with something that makes them glow blue so that they look like Protoss hand blades. Maybe crafting project is: get each short sword crafted to be magical (no +1 to hit) and to (using a command word) turn on and off the light cantrip. I think that's "uncommon item" magic item.

Then, to taste, Rogue levels through at least 3 for the actual psychic blades.

You'll have some spells, up to level two spells at Ranger lavel 5, so add Ranger levels as needed for more spells.

Obviously, the Ranger's Favored Enemy is Zergs with equals Mind Flayers equals Aberrations.

Favored Enemy
Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy. Choose a type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and orcs) as favored enemies.

noob
2020-11-30, 11:59 AM
For creatures that sustain themselves on psionic powers and are very long lived elans would be the way to go but I do not think it have been added to 5e yet so there is still one component to wait for.

Vogie
2020-11-30, 04:11 PM
For a Protoss Zealot, a Githyanki Zealot Barbarian is pretty spot on.

You deal radiant damage, the closest to lasers as possible
You gain a Charge feature at 7, thanks to Instinctive Pounce from TCE
You don't stay dead well, and keep getting summoned back again and again.
If you definitely want wrist blades, I'd ask your DM for the ArmBlade infusion (from the Eberron artificer) to work, even though you aren't a warforged, for a 2 level dip. Otherwise, a 3 level dip in Artificer will allow you to be an Armorer, gaining the Guardian armor. This gives you a d8 thunder unarmed attack, and free THP that acts as your "shield".

For a Stalker, on the other hand, I'd use a refluffed Warforged Tempest Sorcerer. The Tempestuous Magic feature gives you essentially a "blink" that can happen over and over. If you want it to be as close as possible, I'd also dip 2 levels in GOO warlock for telepathy and Fiendish Vigor, giving you a "shield" of THP.

A High Templar would likely be a Githyanki Tempest Cleric, as you mentioned.

An Adept is almost assuredly be a Githyanki Echo Knight

The Dark Templar is nearly impossible to pull off, because permanent invisibility is hard to pull off. Only things like the Invisible Stalker can get close. However, something like a MAD mix of Gloom Stalker, Shadow Sorcerer and maybe some Rogue levels thrown in for good measure?? I think the closest you could get is a (Gith again) GOO Blade warlock with some rogue levels in for burst. Refluffing One with Shadows and the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo is the closest you could get for an effectively invisible-in-combat assassin.

Droppeddead
2020-12-01, 05:16 AM
The Dark Templar is nearly impossible to pull off, because permanent invisibility is hard to pull off. Only things like the Invisible Stalker can get close. However, something like a MAD mix of Gloom Stalker, Shadow Sorcerer and maybe some Rogue levels thrown in for good measure?? I think the closest you could get is a (Gith again) GOO Blade warlock with some rogue levels in for burst. Refluffing One with Shadows and the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo is the closest you could get for an effectively invisible-in-combat assassin.

Not that hard. Gloom Stalker paired with a breastplate wearing Armorer with Infilitrator armor and a Cloak of Elvenkind. Pick up Expertise in Stealth (through a feat) and you advantage on Stealth, people trying to see you have disadvantage on seeing you and you will have a very high bonus to Stealth to begin with. Add a spell storing item loaded with invisibility spells as need. In darkness creatures with darkvision (like I imagine Zergs would have) can't see you at all. Zerashk Gulida...