PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A does imbue with spell ability let you enter prcs?

newguydude1
2020-12-01, 01:58 AM
You transfer some of your currently prepared spells, and the ability to cast them, to another creature.

so if i have imbue with spell ability cast on me and i never cast these spells, i can qualify for any prc with divine spellcasting requirement upto 2nd level spells?

unrelated question but i dont want to make a new thread for: if a wizard uses wyrm wizard and adds imbue with spell ability to his spell list, does this mean he has access to all 1st and 2nd level cleric spells? and if so, are they divine or arcane spells?

sreservoir
2020-12-01, 02:59 AM
so if i have imbue with spell ability cast on me and i never cast these spells, i can qualify for any prc with divine spellcasting requirement upto 2nd level spells?

Well, you are getting the ability to cast them, which is quite literally the requirement being checked for most PrCs, so almost certainly yes, it meets an "Able to cast 1st-level divine spells" requirement by RAW. Careful with the HD requirement, though—you're not likely to get particularly early entry with the minimum 5 HD to imbue a 2nd-level spell, though it'll help finagle your way into Geomancer, I guess?

Actually finding a cleric who's okay with having that 4th-level slot tied up until you discharge it, and be still "responsible" for whatever you do with it, is of course a totally separate matter, perhaps to be solved with planar binding.

unrelated question but i dont want to make a new thread for: if a wizard uses wyrm wizard and adds imbue with spell ability to his spell list, does this mean he has access to all 1st and 2nd level cleric spells? and if so, are they divine or arcane spells?

Even if a wyrm wizard casts imbue with spell ability, it only lets you transfer some of your currently prepared cleric spells of certain schools. Precedent (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericSpells.htm) suggests (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/miracle.htm) that this means something like spells from the cleric spell list (plus your domain spells, if any?), in which case the spells you transfer have be (a) among your currently prepared spells, (b) on the cleric list, and (c) abjuration, divination, and/or conjuration (healing).

Beyond that, they're the spells you prepared, as you prepared them. It doesn't give you access to any new spells; you have to have them already prepared to transfer them. If you prepare arcane spells, then they'd be arcane.

NigelWalmsley
2020-12-01, 07:52 AM
By strict RAW, you can just pay someone to cast Imbue With Spell Ability for you. In practice, there's a good chance your party has a Cleric in it, and they presumably trust you to not screw them over.

The real issue to be aware of is that while this lets you meet prerequisites, most PrCs that require divine casting advance divine casting. The primary exceptions that I recall are Contemplative (which arguably even gives you Cleric casting, and is great for Warmage types), Dweomerkeeper, and reducing the number of caster levels lost to theurges.