PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A retraining your subclass

Klorox
2020-12-01, 08:49 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong: retraining works backwards too.

For instance, if you make it to level 10 as a battle master fighter, and then retrain into champion fighter from levels 11-20, you gain the improved criticals but you lose your maneuvers, right?

I just want to make sure you can't mix and match abilities.

Also, is there a limit on number of times you can do this?

Unoriginal
2020-12-01, 08:54 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong: retraining works backwards too.

For instance, if you make it to level 10 as a battle master fighter, and then retrain into champion fighter from levels 11-20, you gain the improved criticals but you lose your maneuvers, right?

Yep. You change your whole subclass.

Klorox
2020-12-01, 08:59 AM
Yep. You change your whole subclass.

Ok good. I am still worried about this being abused, but I'm less worried now. Thank you.

nickl_2000
2020-12-01, 09:22 AM
Re-training a subclass really should only be done with DM permission. If someone just does it, there is a problem at the table. So, there shouldn't be any worry of it happening to often due to that.

Klorox
2020-12-01, 11:33 AM
Re-training a subclass really should only be done with DM permission. If someone just does it, there is a problem at the table. So, there shouldn't be any worry of it happening to often due to that.

I agree, and I don't have my books with me at work, but I can just see this becoming an optimization thing at some tables (and I hope not to see that).

nickl_2000
2020-12-01, 11:36 AM
I agree, and I don't have my books with me at work, but I can just see this becoming an optimization thing at some tables (and I hope not to see that).

It specifically says

"With your DM’s approval, you can change your subclass when you would normally gain a new subclass feature."

So, this according to the rules you should be fine to avoid that.