PDA

View Full Version : Derro Blackguard

SoD
2007-11-05, 06:49 AM
Simple question, and one which I think I know the answer to.

A Derro has +6 to charisma and -6 to wisdom. The entry in the MM also states that the Derro uses their charisma instead of their wisdom for bonuses to their will saves.

If a Derro takes a few levels in fighter, or barbarian, or whatever, and meets the prerequisites for Blackguard, then gains the unholy thingy, you know, the one that grants the charisma modifier as a bonus to every save...then the will save should be x+2c where x is the base save and c is the charisma modifier...right?

Grynning
2007-11-05, 07:02 AM
Essentially, yes. In most cases where an an ability score bonus would apply twice because of a class feature, feat, etc, you apply it separately for each case. Basically it's because they are different types of bonuses - one is an ability score bonus, the other is a class feature (as far as I know, Divine/Unholy Grace is an un-typed bonus, so it stacks with everything).

SoD
2007-11-05, 07:05 AM
OK, and, as an extra question, if it were to also take levels in another class (can only think of paladin, but that wouldn't work) hypothetically that would give it a differently names bonus, but the same effect...would that stack as well?

Oh, and it's hypothetical. I know paladin wouldn't work. There'd be others avaliable to evil classes though, right?

Grynning
2007-11-05, 07:27 AM
If the class feature has the same name (IE you get Unholy Grace again somehow), they wouldn't stack, but overlap. However, if you had a different class feature that allowed the Cha bonus to be added to saves of one kind or another, I would guess that they would. I can't speak definitively on that, though, you may want to pose the question on the Q&A thread so one of the really knowledgeable rules guys will answer.

Seffbasilisk
2007-11-05, 12:04 PM
Derros are LA - if they're insane. They're only playable if made sane by the miracle/etc means. Then they get a +6 wis, -6 cha, and lose the Madness.