PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shape+Familiar

Chalkarts
2020-12-01, 01:58 PM
You can telepathically communicate with a familiar.

Can you do that while in wild shape?

I was thinking of having a cat familiar and then wild shaping into an identical cat to confuse and distract.
Then using telepathy to tell my cat where to run, or that someone's behind her and such.

RogueJK
2020-12-01, 02:14 PM
You can telepathically communicate with a familiar.

Can you do that while in wild shape?

Yes. Telepathy works in Wild Shape. You just can't speak vocally.

Especially handy for Druids with more broadly applicable telepathy, like Ghostwise Halfling Druids, or any Druid with the new Telepathic feat.

I've played a Ghostwise Moon Druid who would scout in Wild Shape and then return and report my findings telepathically, or communicate important information while Wild Shaped during combat.

Mercurias
2020-12-01, 11:48 PM
I figure that any Druid who has access to a familiar would probably make use of the familiar first for scouting to begin with, but yes I figure that they would be able to communicate, and I would rule that if I were a DM since Wildshape doesn't remove one's ability to comprehend languages.

Wizards and Druids make for a great pairing when it comes to this kind of stuff. They could cast Rary's Telepathic Bond as a ritual or from a scroll prior to the party splitting.

Wizards and Druids paired together are honestly a great combo in general. All you'd need a cleric for would be tanking and raising the dead.