PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Bard and undead related prestige class

Quentinas
2020-12-01, 04:21 PM
Are there any undead related prestige class that can boost a bard , but that are not the Dirgesinger from Liber Mortis and the Mourner from dragon magazine 311? One of the player in my group asked me for this and the DM will not create a prestige class only for him

Telonius
2020-12-01, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately there isn't much available. Is it just the lack of caster progression that is excluding Dirgesinger? The Requiem feat lets his Bardic Music affect any undead friends, so he can take a full-casting PrC and still affect them. The duration is only half, but if he takes Lingering Song or Melodic Casting the difference will barely be noticeable.

Doctor Despair
2020-12-01, 04:50 PM
Are there any undead related prestige class that can boost a bard , but that are not the Dirgesinger from Liber Mortis and the Mourner from dragon magazine 311? One of the player in my group asked me for this and the DM will not create a prestige class only for him

I think that's the extent of it, but you can take Requiem on any bard and get the same effect somwhat. Music of the Gods does the same thing at epic levels

Quentinas
2020-12-01, 04:53 PM
No is not the lacking of spellcasting progression but that he arrived at the level he want (level 4 of dirgesinger level 5 of bard) and now he is searching another prestige class that could be themed in a good way with the dirgesinger. He doesn't like the mourner so that one is excluded for that motivation (the DM is open to dragon magazine content )

Fouredged Sword
2020-12-01, 05:00 PM
Go general power that can be tilted in the direction of necromancy.

I recommend he take up subline chord as he leaves dirgesinger. Heighten spell and Versatile Spellcaster get him the 3rd level spell prereq and this opens up spells from level 4 to 9 for him to polish his late game. You grab spells from necromancy and call it tapping into dark magical power on top of bardic musical power.

Also if he is human Chameleon 10 can be added to the end of any 10 level progression that feels complete and simply add more of whatever is needed. Getting access to all arcane and divine spells through 6th level just sorta makes a solid build complete and able to compete in the late game.

Thurbane
2020-12-01, 06:10 PM
Not ideal, but Fiend-Blooded could add some necromancy spells to spells known?

Also recommend the Song of the Dead metamagic feat.

Doctor Despair
2020-12-01, 06:30 PM
Not ideal, but Fiend-Blooded could add some necromancy spells to spells known?

Also recommend the Song of the Dead metamagic feat.

That's a fun feat. Mother Cyst is also good for getting necromantic spells known

Edit:
Go general power that can be tilted in the direction of necromancy.

I recommend he take up subline chord as he leaves dirgesinger. Heighten spell and Versatile Spellcaster get him the 3rd level spell prereq and this opens up spells from level 4 to 9 for him to polish his late game. You grab spells from necromancy and call it tapping into dark magical power on top of bardic musical power.

Also if he is human Chameleon 10 can be added to the end of any 10 level progression that feels complete and simply add more of whatever is needed. Getting access to all arcane and divine spells through 6th level just sorta makes a solid build complete and able to compete in the late game.

To build on this a little more: if you want to wrangle undead, you can't go wrong with three levels of Incantatrix to apply Chain Spell to your command undeads after the fact.