PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tasha's New Sorcerer Mechanics - A Divine Soul Rework

Ikedashi
2020-12-01, 08:34 PM
Hi fellow playgrounders,

After the release of Aberrant Mind and Clockwork Soul presented in TCE, every other sorcerer subclass feels out dated. Tasha's gave an idea on how to fix the sorcerer small number of spell known, but leave us no update for the older bloodlines.

So i want to present you my first public homebrew, a version of Divine Soul that embrace the bonus spell list feature and extra uses for sorcery points. Using abilities presented in UA versions of Favored Soul as they follow the intended flavor WotC gave the class, i will comment every changes i've made based on the newer subs

Feel free and encouraged to feedback and comment your thoughts about balance, flavor and new ideas. Please put in mind that it's intentionally stronger than older subclasses, i'm trying to bring them to the power level of AbM and CwS.

DIVINE SOUL V2

Divine Magic
At 1st level, you choose one of the cleric class's divine domains. You add that domain's spells for 1st-level clerics to your known spells. These spells do not count against the number of spells you can know, and they are considered to be sorcerer spells for you. When you reach 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels in the sorcerer class, you likewise learn your domain's spells that become available at those levels. Also, you learn the Thaumaturgy Cantrip.
Also adding 10 new spells known to our list with an extra flexibility factor, the domain choice. I've looked for a cantrip to add it like Aberrant Mind's Mind Slever, and ended up with Thaumaturgy just for flavor. I think that still weaker than the AbM and CwS spell lists since you can't personalize them.

Supernatural Resilience
At 1st level, the blessing of the gods grants you enhanced durability. Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.
I was trying to mantain the same number of features of Aberrant Mind, so put this as a substitution for Psychic Defenses given at lvl 6 to AbM.

Favored by the Gods
Starting at 1st level, divine power guards your destiny. If you fail a saving throw or miss with an attack roll, you can roll 2d4 and add it to the total, possibly changing the outcome. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Divine Soul's best feature. Mantained the same as it is already good. Looking for a reasonable way to expend Sorcery Points in here too. Suggestions??

Divine Sorcery
When you cast any spell of 1st level or higher from your Divine Magic feature, you can cast it by expending a spell slot as normal or by spending a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level.
If you cast the spell using sorcery points, you or an ally at 30ft. regain hit points equal to twice your Charisma modifier (minimum of +2) + the spell's level.
Instead of Subtle Spell restores HP bringing the flavor of Empower Healing.

Angelic Form
At 14th level, your divine essence causes you to undergo a minor physical transformation. Your appearance takes on an otherworldly version of one of the following qualities (your choice): beautiful, youthful, kind, or imposing.
Whatever your choice, if your proficiency bonus applies to a Charisma check, double that bonus.

In addition, as a bonus action, you can manifest a pair of spectral wings from your back. The wings last for 10 minutes or until you dismiss them as a bonus action. While the wings are present, you have a flying speed of 50 feet. Once you use this feature, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 2 sorcery points to use it again.
New manner to expend SP, booted the speed a little bit to match Aarakocra speed. A extra out of combat passive ability. Wondering if both of them should be activated via SP, the appearance flavor is hard to imagine turn ON/OFF

Unearthly Recovery
At 18th level, you gain the ability to overcome grievous injuries. As a bonus action when you have fewer than half of your hit points remaining, you can regain a number of hit points equal to half your hit point maximum.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 5 sorcery points to use it again.
Just added a manner to reuse expending SP.

Thank you for reading and your replies. Be polite, and send me a PM me for any grammar errors. (Many probably)