PDA

View Full Version : [PF1e Megadungeon] An Otherworldly Mountain (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-01, 09:39 PM
Averheim

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/67/c8/ee/67c8eec7d4d2ef248b3ea33f71a1cbd9.jpg

At the Border of the Meteor Crater District

The border between the city center and the former Rotarren residential district has become a border between worlds. Like any border, there are guards- Averheim's city guard has set up a cordon blocking anyone from approaching the crash site, with officers in half-plate barring entrance to any but a lucky few who have received sponsorships and permission from King Vernus or the ruling council. Fortunately for all of you, you have all received both. Like any border there are shops- last minute supply stalls for the intrepid souls ready to travel across the planes themselves, selling everything from weapons and armor to rope and water skins. There are even food stalls selling street meats and snacks, but that is mostly for the crowds that have formed to see you all off.

There aren't many of them today. The pouring rain had kept away all but the most dedicated. Clergy rendering blessings, bookies taking bets on who will return and how long they will be away, and lay people wishing well to the heroes that pass through their lives like birds of prey through a flock. If the murmurs of the guards are true, this is also a small group to make the journey- just five souls, ready to make the jump into undiscovered country. According to the sergeant who ushers you all past the crowd and through the barricade this is the first group to leave in over a month. "There just haven't been many people willing to put the diamond dust where their mouth is." He says with a chuckle. "It isn't like it was last year. Then you touched the rock and POOF you were there. Now you've got to bribe the damned stone. The sages say it has something to do with the waxing and waning of the magic, that it might get cheap again soon. You lot better hope so- I hear diamond dust costs twice as much at the Hard Place." A cheer goes up from the crowd as you are brought into the desolation that was once a populous district.

As you enter the rubble strewn streets, with buildings gutted by fire or crumbling in around themselves all around you, you all feel something odd. Those of you who are familiar with magic know what the warmth radiating against your skin is, but for those who are unstudied it just feels as though you've stepped into a tropical climate. Even the rain goes from chilling to warm in an instant. You also start to note a tinge of green in the air. Then you see the crater, the source of the light- an ambient emerald glow that fills the streets and causes the air itself to stir, blowing back hair with a gentle breeze.

It is here that you are met by a cadre of mages and clerics. Leading them is a smiling halfling in red velvet robes, wielding a staff nearly twice his own height. If you've come this far you've heard of him- Cedric Thoss, foremost expert on the meteor, on Vouno, and first to make the trip there and back. He strides up to you looking absolutely jubilant. "Excellent, excellent! Newcomers! Far travelers! Adventurers, one and all! Come to make the big trip!" He removes a large book from a messenger bag at his side, opens it up, and summons a quill with a quick cantrip. "Now, for the King and the council, we have to handle a few particulars first. Hold still while the clerics anoint you and the mages prepare you with the dust. While they do that, I'll take each of your names, your notable skills, and a personal quote for the history books. Though there are others who have gone before you, and possibly others who will follow after you, each and every one of you are history makers!" He licks the tip of his quill and prepares to write your responses, while the clerics and mages begin to circle, administering rituals and rites to facilitate your journey.

Eonn
2020-12-01, 11:19 PM
"I... I'll suppose I will go first then." Speak a human dressed nicely but practically. Though an adult, he still has a child like excitement in his eyes. His backpack, neatly packed other large tome poking out the top seems to still have plenty of space for any artifacts that the group may find, though it was most notable for being the perch for a small crocodile who observed his surroundings dispassionately.

"My name is Alexos Smith, wizard. I specialize in transmutation. And a quote, huh? Well let's see here..." He thinks for a moment. This may be what is carved upon his tombstone, should he not return, so he'd better make it something good. "Though I may die, let it be know I have died treading new ground." He smiled at the mage. He was no bard, but it sounded good.

Dimers
2020-12-01, 11:41 PM
Sivi, a very small woman or tall girl with the distinctive blue-green skin of an undine, looks at her new companions and takes a step toward Cedric. Her dark green hair rolls in graceful waves, not in the least matted down by the rain. "I'm called Sivi, sir," she says, quite familiar with the protocol. Goodness knows she's observed it enough -- if she weren't about to travel herself, she'd be eagerly watching from the crowd.

"My main role is handling difficult entry. I can climb and swim past barriers easily, unlock doors, find and neutralize traps, that sort of thing. As an amateur archaeologist sponsored by the experts, I'll do it all with minimal disruption to the site. I speak several languages, I can read tracks, and if I may be so bold as to say, I'm probably in the top ten most knowledgeable people about Vouno since Serta the Ecclesiastic's team was lost two months ago." She certainly seems sure of herself!

"And my quote ..." Sivi clears her throat, making a burbling sound. "'You don't know yourself if you don't know the kiss of the diamond dust.'" A bit grandiose, perhaps, but fitting for one of the first travelers in a month.

Yas392
2020-12-02, 09:26 AM
A serious godlike beauty, ashen skin with matching locks garbing in robes similar to a priest on-duty, glances at the eager expert with the quill in hand with a raised eyebrow.

"My name is common knowledge in the city. The Moros are not the one to keep to themselves much. If you are not in the marketplace daily listening to their blathering, you would have missed my name. I suppose I will humor you. Elayne Moros. As for my specialties, well..."

Elayne unclasps her clasp and her robe falls out, exposing a scanty blue, sleeveless, short dress with much of her bare white skin. She gestures for the mages and clerics to anoint her as she does a sexy pose with a cat like smile in contrast to her earlier demeanor.

"Keeping the enemies' eyes on me, making my ally's performance look good while making my enemies look bad. And I know a bit of the Moros's craft so I would not say that is a notable skill to be added until I perfected it and survived the trip back."

Once the anointing is finished, the samsaran touches her index finger on her chin.

"Hmm, a saying that will go down into the annals of history. How about this? You can get in and get out or get in and not get out at all."

u-b
2020-12-02, 12:26 PM
A large and muscular half-orc with a long-shafted hammer and a large backpack stops before Cedric.

"My name is Gashur. As an adventuring professional, I remain observant, sneak upon and past things, climb, swim, tumble, open locks, but primarily I kill things that move. And I'LL BE BACK. Now write it right there!"

He does not say or do much of anything else, waiting for the clerics and the mages to do their job. Business as usual, huh? Not quite, but we can pretend it to be.

Phantom Genius
2020-12-03, 06:39 AM
I am Inga, servant of the holy word of Freya, eternal mother of the human realms. She grants me divine power to protect this team and bring them back alive. I also swing a sword better than most and have studied many of the religions of this plane and others.

For your book:
Freya will guide us
Freya will strengthen us
Freya will see us home

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-03, 10:50 AM
At the Meteor Crater

Cedric notes all you've said in his book, scribbling happily as you all speak. "Yes, yes, I see..." Meanwhile, the clerics and mages sprinkle you all with oils, spell components, and finally a sprinkle of diamond dust apiece. As the precious material rains down on each of you, you feel your skin tingle and take on a slight sheen. Suddenly the raindrops stop making contact with your skin, seeming to run off an invisible shield surrounding all your bodies. "Now that that's done, it's time for you all to make the leap!" Cedric closes his book and shakes his fists in excitement. "Follow me!"

The wizard leads you across the naked devastation of the area surrounding the crater, and soon you all see the area of impact coming closer. It isn't overly large, about the size of two of the district's houses set side by side. The hole is about forty feet deep, with a rope ladder set up to help climb down. As you all come to the rim of the crater you finally see the meteor itself- a perfectly spherical stone orb resting in the bottom of the crater, emitting a green glow that is nearly bright enough to be painful to look at. No one has been able to identify just what the meteor is made of, but it has been theorized that whatever magic caused it to survive the impact completely intact also may be responsible for it's plane shifting properties. Cedric walks over to the ladder and gestures for you all to descend. "Goodbye, brave adventurers, and may you return victorious from your expedition!"

All that remains is to climb down and touch the stone to begin your journey.

u-b
2020-12-03, 11:12 AM
Gashur does just that. He climbs down the ladder, somewhat slowly and somewhat awkwardly because of the long-shafted hammer he has to keep in hand, then jumps onto the stone from the height of five feet. He intends to take a good look around wherever he would appear.

Perception: [roll0] with an extra +2 if there's dim light or darkness and an extra +2 to notice any hazards (not creatures)

Eonn
2020-12-03, 05:01 PM
"Exciting, isn't it?" Alexos says to his companion as he himself begins to descend into the pit. "I wonder what we'll find on the other side? I can only imagine all the new magics waiting to be discovered!"

Dimers
2020-12-03, 05:17 PM
Sivi eschews the ladder, climbing down the wall fluidly (no pun intended). To Alexos's question she replies, "Probably warmer temperatures, for starters. Elayne will be well dressed for the occasion. Elayne, I'm sorry to have to ask, but I don't know what your family is famed for, what you're still learning -- can you explain?"

Yas392
2020-12-03, 06:02 PM
Elayne re-dress, her expression morphing back to her serious disposition. When the rogue asks her what about her family's practice, she shrugs.

"You will find out soon."

She climbs down the ladder.

Phantom Genius
2020-12-04, 07:33 AM
"What spells are they casting, sir Cedric?"

She will try to figure them out if he is evasive.

Then she will climb carefully down the ladder.

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-04, 11:19 AM
At the Meteor Crater

"Just half a dozen warding spells or so, my dear. Protection against death magic, protection against fire magic, etcetera. There have been anomalies in the transfer." Cedric looks down at the ground with a look of concern on his face for a few moments before looking up with that same smile. "Plus a spell of my own creation that facilitates the the teleportation since the stone has become more resistant to new travelers. That is what the diamond dust was for. Now go, go! Your time of greatness is upon you!" Inga can sense no lies in his words.

One by one you climb down the ladder and drop onto the stone, and one by one you feel as though someone has planted a hook behind your naval and yanked you like a hooked fish into a direction you didn't know existed. One by one the people who go before you disappear in a flash of emerald light.

In Transit

Within a moment that is either a split second or a thousand years, you all feel as though you are bodiless, being pulled through a void filled with millions of stars. You feel yourselves moving at unfathomable speed, but in that brief (or excruciatingly long) moment, you have the distinct feeling of being observed, as though a being of incalculable size were watching you with some interest. Then there is a flash of red light and your journey ends.

Vouno

https://i.imgur.com/LuQNZhO.jpg?1

In the Meteor Crater

One by one you appear in an identical crater, this time standing on top of a perfect sphere that glows a crimson red. Climbing the ladder that hangs nearby (one in far worse condition, but still structurally sound), you arrive on Vouno. The air is substantially warmer than the plane you just left, as well as drier. The soil in a rusty red, and dust is blown up by the stern winds, almost immediately coating your clothes and gear. The air is also thinner, an experience that reminds Gashur of his time on top of tall mountains. About a hundred yards away there are two structures. The first is a haphazard tent, bolted to the ground. It ripples in the wind, and a sizable sign hangs over a part in the tent reading "The Hard Place" in common. About ten yards from the tent there is another structure, this one built of the red, rusty stone of the mountain. There are massive statues of dwarven warriors bearing axes and shields to either side of a cavernous entrance at the top of a large set of stairs. This is the place where your fates will be decided.

u-b
2020-12-04, 11:36 AM
Having had a look around, Gashur looks up at the sky, to see if it is to any extent familiar. He does not expect it to be, but still... After that he walks straight to "The Hard Place". "Hi! Anybody there?"

Phantom Genius
2020-12-04, 08:21 PM
"Where is everyone?"

Sword at the ready.

Dimers
2020-12-05, 06:17 AM
Particularly eager to get out of the blowing dust and get her bearings, Sivi moves right over to the tent and enters it.

Do I know how to get underground from here, and do I know anything about The Hard Place? Lore (Vouno) roll if appropriate: [roll0]

Yas392
2020-12-05, 10:53 AM
Crouched from the warp, Elayne stands up and looks around. She closes her eyes for a while before turning up in front of Gashur to kiss him on the lips (if he allows it).

Spend one use of mesmerist trick to apply compel alacrity trick to herself.

If Gashur allows her to kiss him, spend one use of mesmerist trick to put meek facade trick on him.

u-b
2020-12-05, 12:34 PM
Gashur is... surprised, to say the least. He takes Elayne for an ally and therefore does not take the action as an attack and therefore does not bite her face off as a response, but still, he thinks an explanation is in order. "Hey! What was that?!"

Yas392
2020-12-05, 07:50 PM
Elayne just smile at the reaction.

"Just a good luck charm, dearie."

Phantom Genius
2020-12-06, 06:30 AM
She closes her eyes for a while before turning up in front of Gashur to kiss him on the lips (if he allows it).

Inga's eyes go wide, although she tries to keep her face still. I thought they just met (?) she thinks to herself.

She then follows Sivi.

Eonn
2020-12-06, 05:21 PM
"Looks like previous explorers used this as some kind of base camp." Alexos comments. "Wonder when they'll be back?" The kiss came to a surprise to him as well, but he was expecting to meet interesting people on this trip. It wouldn't be fun if everyone was as plain as he was.

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-07, 07:53 PM
Base Camp- Vouno

The Hard Place is a combination headquarters and tavern set up by an enterprising gnome named Querk. It serves as the sole place to rest, relax, and trade treasures on this plane. Querk was a successful merchant back on the home plane, and it is said he invested every last copper he had in securing an inventory, setting up shop, and serving as the trade hub of this new world. Rumor has it that he has either made a fortune buying the relics and treasures off of the digging teams and adventurers who have braved the depths, or that he is penniless and staying on Vouno to escape his creditors. The entrance to the prison facility is the stone structure next door, specifically up the large staircase that rises with two giant dwarven statues on either side.

The weighted flap of the Hard place takes some effort to shift, but once it is pulled back it reveals something similar to a small tavern room. There are tables and chairs set up in a seemingly random arrangement, mostly unoccupied. Sitting at one table a group of armed and armored individuals are playing cards and drinking. They are comprised of a female half-orc wearing spiked platemail, a dwarf in studded leathers who considers his cards while stroking a prodigious beard, a robed figure who's hood is drawn down too far to read their features, and a halfling woman with a shock of bright pink hair. The robed figure lays their cards on the table, raising up a chorus of complaints from the others while the hooded figure begins scooping a small fortune of coins in their direction.

Behind a low bar stands a figure who is freakishly tall for a gnome at nearly five feet wearing a suit that seems to be patched together from dozens of different fabrics. He is bald, with large ears that stick out from his skull. His sharp, dark eyes flick in the direction of the door immediately, and his features split into a wide grin. "Newcomers! Welcome to the Hard Place! Your home away from home! Come on over, the first drink is on me!" He is cleaning a mug, which he absentmindedly fills from a green bottle and sets down in front of a radiantly beautiful woman. She is wearing a red silk dress with a low cut bust, and she too turns to the door. Her ears are gently pointed, and she has vibrant purple eyes below an auburn pixie cut head of hair. She smiles, waves, and stands, sauntering around the bar and through another flap to a rear section of the massive tent that is blocked off by more heavy canvas. The proprietor watches her go with a lingering glance, then returns his attention to new opportunities. "My name is Querk, the enlightened proprietor of this humble establishment. Come on in, I don't bite!" He grins again, showing off a mouth full of sharp, pointed teeth. "What can I get you all for your first drink on this new world? Tell me your names, save your stories for later, and enjoy the last free thing you'll find on this godsforsaken rock!"

Dimers
2020-12-07, 08:02 PM
"Why, thank ya, Querk," Sivi drawls while walking to the bar. "I'll take ya up on that. Gimme a Diamond Dust -- I don't know what's in it, but it must be pretty good, the way its price is rising!"

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-07, 08:20 PM
The Hard Place

"Diamond dust?" He looks a little lost and dismayed. "But you just got here..." Then he smiles. "Oh. You mean the drink. One Aldebarren Diamond Dust, coming right up." He grabs a small glass and wets the rim with water from a pitcher, then removes a small clay box from under the bar and dips the glass into it, rimming it with crystals of sugar. Then he reaches to some shelves behind the bar and chooses a blue glass bottle. Pouring the clear liquid into a glass, he joins it with several more clear liquids from several more colorful bottles, stirs it with a thin metal stick, and presents the results to Sivi. "When I offer a free drink I usually hope it will be something cheaper, but whether you know what it is or not you've got good taste in cocktails." When imbibed, the drink proves very sweet and VERY strong, with hints of orange and pear with a floral scent.

Phantom Genius
2020-12-08, 05:01 AM
Inga scans the room for obvious threats and then sheathes her longsword.

"Mead, if you please." She sits next to Sivi, close enough to talk, not close enough to be awkward.

Eonn
2020-12-08, 05:45 AM
"Interesting place." Alexos says, taking a seat. "I wasn't expecting an inn of all things here." He thinks a moment about the offered drink. Despite working with alcohol his whole life, Alexos himself usually doesn't drink anything stronger than a watered down wine. "You got anything special out here?" He finially asks.

u-b
2020-12-08, 12:17 PM
"Hello, Querk! Hello, people!" Gashur waves in the direction of the card players. "Name's Gashur. I'll have some water, with raspberry syrup and bubbles. Maybe no bubbles, if you don't have." Gashur stops for a moment as if unsure what to actually do besides moving on. He apparently was not planning on partying.

Dimers
2020-12-08, 12:59 PM
"I wasn't expecting an inn of all things here."

"I'm told it's a good place to rest between ventures if you've got the coin," Sivi comments to Alexos. "But I wasn't expecting a fully stocked bar, myself."

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-08, 05:17 PM
Querk selects a mug and pours into it from a green bottle, sliding it in front of Inga. "No one expects a tavern here. It's exactly why I built one. Adventurers and archaeologists are a thirsty lot, and even the hardiest soul likes to sleep in a real bed now and again. There are also... other services available, for discerning clientele." He tilts his head at Alexos' question, then shrugs. "We're having a special on Tarkesian ale, Emorian wine, and magical ammunition. I could also make you a hell of a deal on a lightly used battle axe, but I doubt you could afford that just yet." The card players mostly ignore Gashur's call, but the solidly built half-orc woman gives him a lingering glance and a smile. Querk fills a glass from the water pitcher before adding a crimson syrup and some crystals that look like chunks of salt, sliding a fizzing concoction across to Gashur. "We're a fully stocked bar, and well reviewed inn, an understaffed brothel, and a purveyor of artifacts, magic arms and armor. The Hard Place is an all inclusive business establishment designed to meet your every need. I also appraise, process, and ship anything you find in the prison back to your patrons. For a small fee on their end, of course. I'll also buy pieces of interest myself to fund your adventures. Remember, you get twenty percent on any sale in store credit!" Querk gives a wicked smile.

There is movement from the flap heading deeper into the tent and a dwarf who is nearly shaped like a cube wearing robes appears, heads over to the bar, and takes a seat. He raises a finger, and without a word Querk pours him an ale and slides it down the bar with excellent accuracy.

Yas392
2020-12-08, 08:43 PM
Elayne whistles at Querk's list of many functions of his building.

"A lot in one establishment. Now this is my kind of place. Very nice."

She takes a seat.

"Do you have anything strong? Strong as in very alcoholic. Or is it the diamond dust my companion requested is the strongest you have?"

u-b
2020-12-09, 08:21 AM
Gashur takes a sip of his drink. "Good to have you here, with such a comprehensive list of services. I think magical stuff is currently out of my price range, but if there is mundane stuff that people often come back here to get, I'll certainly consider buying it straight away."

Phantom Genius
2020-12-10, 08:22 AM
Inga sips her drink and smacks her lips quietly. "Interesting blend... Could you perhaps tell us what we'll find down there?"

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-10, 06:57 PM
The Hard Place

Querk smiles at Elayne. "I've got Dwarven lightning, my dear. Drink too much of it and you'll go blind. That's the strongest thing I've got, and for the right price it can be yours. Just don't blame me if it kills you." Then he turns to Gashur. "I've got all the boring stuff as well. There's a small importation surcharge, but I doubt you'll find anything you need that I can't get my hands on. Some orders may take a bit of time, but I've got all the right connections." Next he turns to face Inga. "You'd be better off asking the archaeologists, who you'll meet on the ground floor of the prison, or those adventurers over there playing cards- they've all been down there, where I have not. But I do hear rumors. Traps, monsters, treasures, magic, all your standard dungeon fare. Just the right environment for budding heroes such as yourselves."

Yas392
2020-12-10, 08:15 PM
"If it is on the house for my first drink, I will have that. If it satisfies me, I might come back for more. Other than gold, I can pay with other services."

Elayne winks at the tavern keeper.

Eonn
2020-12-11, 05:12 AM
"If it's alright by you, sir, I think I'll save my drink until after we return. I think I'll need it more then, you know?" Besides that, Alexos sits back to listen to the banter of his allies and the other adventures in the tavern. He never was a super social person, but maybe someone else might strike up a conversation he might be interested in.

Phantom Genius
2020-12-12, 07:03 AM
Inga walks over to the table, looking for the friendliest-appearing adventurer. "Pardon me. When you have a moment, could you tell us about your experiences in the dungeon?"

Dimers
2020-12-12, 09:42 AM
Sivi is clearly enjoying her drink, but when Inga approaches the table of card players, she turns most of her attention that way. There's so much to learn about this place, and hearing some first-hand experience is better than collecting rumors and copied notes.

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-13, 06:26 PM
The Hard Place

Querk smiles wide at Elayne's suggestion, then snags a glass and reaches behind the counter for a small keg sitting on a shelf. Turning a spigot, he pours a small amount of a crystal clear liquid into the glass before turning back around. "Careful, newcomer. This is the kind of drink that makes some girls want to take their clothes off. Not that I'd mind much." He ignores Alexos for now, seemingly fascinated with Elayne for the time being.

When Inga and Sivi approach the table of adventurers they have just dealt a new hand. When Inga speaks the dwarf and the halfling turn to face her, but the hooded figure just keeps looking down at their cards, while the half-orc sneers. The dwarf speaks first- "Competition, huh? Maybe we should tell you nothing, huh? Only one group can loot a treasure, huh?" The halfling, however, smiles and sets her cards down. Speaking in a high-pitch whine, she says "The first level is pretty well cleared out, so you'll be safe there. There might be some traps leftover, and from what we've found all the traps in the dungeon reset automatically. That being said, the first level has been picked over by every group of adventurers who got here before you, so you might not find much there. Personally I feel there's still something hidden on the first level, but I got outvoted and we went further down instead of looking." She pauses to take a drink from her cup, and at this point the hooded figure speaks up in a dull, deep, flat monotone that sounds as though it is coming from behind a helm. "Most groups didn't make it past the second level. That's where the kobolds start showing up. Vouno kobolds are larger and stronger than those on Mund, and they've carved out hidden tunnels all throughout the prison. They know the traps, and they'll do their best to lead you into them. There are a lot more locked doors on the second level, so you'll either need to find a key stone somewhere, buy one from the archaeologists, or have a particularly talented rogue in your party. The doors reset too, so you'll have no indication where others have been before you. I estimate that we've explored fourty three percent of level two based on the size of level one." The dwarf, seemingly annoyed that his party members are sharing so much with the newcomers, interrupts at this point. "But we can't tell you much about the third floor, huh? Just got there ourselves, huh? Haven't found anything but more kobolds, more traps, and more locked doors, huh? We came back to sell our haul to Querk and relax, huh? So if you go that deep you're on your own, huh!" The half-orc growls and slams a fist on the table. "Can we get back to our cards, now?" The halfling gives a melodic chuckle and blows a stray hair from her face. "You're just mad because you finally got dealt a good hand." The half-orc grits her teeth and growls louder in response.

u-b
2020-12-14, 04:48 AM
Gashur continues to sip his drink, listening to the conversation. "Has anyone ever try to reason with the kobolds? I mean, to your knowledge."

Yas392
2020-12-15, 05:27 AM
"I see you are one of those types that are appreciative of the female body."

Elayne nods with approval, smiling as she accepts the glass and takes a sip. One second after the intake, her head sways and lolls into a sharp incline. The samsaran raises it in an instant with wide eyes.

"Oh! I can see the reason it makes people go wild, no, feel it. It is very strong."

She takes a breath and calms from her ecstasy.

"It will take time for me to process whether it is a competitor for the Penj I drank a while back. Has anyone been addicted to this stuff before?”

Phantom Genius
2020-12-16, 07:56 AM
"Competition? I...hadn't thought of it that way. Are we not all trying to survive and thrive? If you want to claim anything on the second or third level, I am sure we would be content to explore a different section. We would never want to step on your toes. We may even be able to help each other out. I can heal if any of you are injured and apparently that one has other skills to offer that I would rather not know about." <That was a little prudish, but she's not a young or sexy woman.>

"If I may ask further...are the stairs hidden or easily found? Are the traps usually on the doors, floors or walls?"

[roll0]

If she gets a bad reaction, she will politely step away and leave them to their game.

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-16, 01:01 PM
The Hard Place

This time it is the female half-orc who responds to Gashur's question. "Reason with them? Hard to do that when they come at you in waves, yipping and squawking and throwing spears. We caught one and it wouldn't shut up about us "invading" their holy territory. If you see them, you'd be better off smashing them then talking at them."

Querk pours himself a glass of water and slowly circles the rim with his finger, maintaining eye contact with Elayne's mesmerizing gaze. "I have an appreciation of beautiful things. Especially since my... accident... made me better suited for appreciating things of all shapes and sizes." He chuckles when she mentions addiction. "Plenty of people get addicted to alcohol. Only the desperate get addicted to Dwarven Lightning, though. It's cheap, strong enough to peel paint, and the side effects are a list long enough to intimidate even the most dedicated drunkards. So, yes, some weak minded fools have gotten addicted to it. Briefly."

The hooded figure responds to Inga with that same dull, metallic voice. "The treasures of the prison is finite, and, as many scholars have written, greed is not. There will always be some sense of competition with peers. That being said..." He throws a few gold pieces into the center of the table. "The teams going down are rare enough now that it may be more profitable to be amenable to one another rather than hostile." The others at the table slowly nod at that, some of them with distant looks of sadness on their faces. "We are comprised of the survivors of previous groups. We call ourselves the Iron Chimera." The halfling speaks next. "Traps are all over. Check every door, you never know when one of those will be trapped. And look out for murals on the wall. They often hide magic sensors, arrow slits, trap doors, and worse. Basically always be on guard."

Dimers
2020-12-16, 01:06 PM
Sivi salutes the group with her glass. "Health to the Iron Chimera!" she says before taking another drink.

Phantom Genius
2020-12-17, 06:46 AM
Sivi salutes the group with her glass. "Health to the Iron Chimera!" she says before taking another drink.

Inga holds up her drink. "To the Iron Chimera!" <Sip> <small smile>

"I need no competition. Seek me out if you are badly injured. I will do what I can to keep everyone here alive."

She sits back down with Sivi.

u-b
2020-12-17, 07:29 AM
Gashur shakes his head. "Kobold Madness. Reminds me of... well, no big deal anyway. I'd guess we have to make a honest try before we can be treated seriously, so I propose we do just that. I will be with the archaeologists. Or something. Join me when you are ready." Gashur finishes his drink and, unless advised to the contrary, goes outside and slowly takes the stairs, examining what lies beyond, the two dwarven statues to the sides and generally not being in too much hurry.

Perception 20 for a total of 26.

Yas392
2020-12-17, 03:15 PM
Elayne continues to sips her Dwarven Lightning, her body tingles with every time she brings the glass to her lips with ever unchanging expression, ignorance of the raised glasses.

"Useful advice from a connoisseur. I will keep that in mind."

She steals a glance at her companions' activity before facing back the owner of the enterprise.

"And appreciation for beautiful things. From an accident...That is not unheard of though the facts leading to the result would be interesting to hear. Different account of experience for different individuals. I am all ears if you are willing to talk about it."

Elayne puts the now drained glass down.

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-17, 05:29 PM
The Hard Place

Querk opens his mouth as though to speak to Elayne, but then he reaches up and rubs his own massive ear before closing it and standing straight instead of leaning on the bar. "We'll discuss my secrets another time. Perhaps over a bottle of wine, when I'm not working. Till then, you'll just have to settle with the knowledge that I was once a lot smaller. Besides, don't you have a prison to delve?" He chuckles and snags Elayne's glass, rinsing it with water and cleaning it with a rag.

The halfing tilts her head at Inga as though she is trying to get a read on her, then smiles. "Offer accepted. It's hard enough for me to keep these fools going, I'll gladly accept another set of healing hands to help with the burden." The hooded man nods, and the dwarf stops tugging at his beard to give a respectful incline of his head as well. The half-orc looks to the others, then slams her hands down on the table hard enough to knock over the dwarf's drink. "CARDS! NOW!" This elicits laughter from all but the hooded man as the Iron Chimera turn back to their game.

The robed dwarf silently stands and follows Gashur out of the Hard Place, taking his drink with him.

The Great Gate

Gashur slowly makes his way up the steps and the view is rather grand. The four dwarf statues, two to either side of a massive recessed area, are nearly forty feet tall. There are hints that all the statues were once much more detailed, with the remains of carved runes and jewelry barely discernable through the wear of time, wind, and dust. All four bear stern features, beards down below their waists, and curiously enough all seem to be holding the same maul in their hands- Gashur can tell it is identical by the runes that are carved up the haft and along the weapon's head. "The Four Wardens of Vouno." says a voice behind him. The robed dwarf picks up the pace and moves beside the half-orc, wiping some dust from his robes. Getting a better look at him, you see the robes at one point were a sign of wealth and station, now faded by layers of dust. The jeweled rings woven into his beard are still ostentatious, however. "We've deduced that one family of one clan held the title of Warden for the prison's entire existence. Still don't know their names, unfortunately." The dwarf continues up the steps, matching pace with the larger man. "I am Fworin, of clan Adamantbeard. Trust me, it sounds better in our language. I am my people's representative here on Vouno. Here to find the cultural significance of this place, recover relics, and deduce how and why our ancestors ended up here. If you find anything of Dwarven make in the ruins, I will pay you more than Querk to make sure they end up back where they should be. I can also advise you on the significance of anything you find." The steps are massively long and broad, but with only four vertical inches separating each step. Steps made for giants, it seemed. As Gashur approaches the top, he can see that the recessed area holds a strange gate- a series of tessellated triangles, from one small enough to admit a halfling to a massive one that could admit a sailing ship if it were to request entry. Upon reaching the top, the innermost triangles lift up into the structure, leaving an opening perfectly suited for Gashur to enter. Inside he can see dull yellow lights and the shadows of people milling about.

Eonn
2020-12-17, 06:02 PM
They presence of kobolds caught Alexos's attention. He hoped he'd get a chance to talk to them, maybe even see first hand how they live. It was unfortunate kobolds were so territorial. If they could open lines of dialogue, perhaps they would be able to reveal the mystery of this place. Or help to, at the very least. For now, however, Alexos would have to make do without being killed by the little dragonlings. Shaking his head with dismay, he follows Gashur out of the tavern. He didn't come here to stick around in an inn all day, after all!

Yas392
2020-12-17, 07:35 PM
Elayne catches the gnome's quirk and stays silent. When the gnome entrepreneur comes to the part about the prison, she chuckles.

"Fine by me. I am about to head out anyways and you have your business to run. I was dawdling to see how long fixated you are to my figure."

She winks at him and then shrugs.

"It is good to know that I have an alternate option to fall back on if I botch the prison run or got bored of it. If you are willing to hire me. Anyways, let's chat another time. By the way, the name's Elayne. I look forward to the time we are able to chat again to get to know each other better."

The samsaran waves to Querk. She walks to the table with the card players.

"Sorry for interrupting your game. Everything okay? My companions did not stir any trouble or get too close to you, did they?"

u-b
2020-12-18, 02:41 AM
"Got it Fworin. You'll have the first pick." Gashur stands for some time before the open door. "I am Gashur, of Horned Worg tribe, though I now work for House Magla." While he observes this wonderful piece of enginiering, still functioning correctly after all those years, he thinks he should ask the dwarf of something else before he proceeds. "Is it known whose prison it is or how the kobolds came to claim it?" Whetever the answer, he will then step inside.

Phantom Genius
2020-12-18, 07:25 AM
Inga waits at the entrance, holding the door for Elayne and Sivi, leaving no one behind...

Dimers
2020-12-18, 03:36 PM
"And onward to fame and fortune," Sivi comments to no one in particular as she heads out the door. "Inga? You're a good egg, you know that? I wasn't expecting to have friends so quickly here."

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-18, 09:05 PM
The Hard Place

Alexos follows close after Gashur, and he too is approached by Fworin, with much the same introduction. This time he adds "As someone who appreciates the power of the written word, I don't feel I need to impress on you the importance of any spell books, rune books, or diaries you find." He waits at the top steps of the entrance, obviously meaning to introduce himself to each member of your party as you enter the structure.

At the Iron Chimera's table the halfling tosses some coins into the pot before responding to Elayne. "Don't worry about your friends. We're just not used to newcomers. You're the first group through in a while, is all." She watches the others bid and tosses in her cards with a look of disgust. The dwarf pipes up. "No worries, huh? You all just don't get it yet, huh? You won't understand this place until you EXPERIENCE it, huh? Then you'll get while we're all a bit strange, huh? Once you lose a few friends..." Several seconds of beard stroking ensue, punctuated by a "Huh?" The half-orc growls at Elayne, gauntleted fingers scraping furrows in the wood of the table. "Either pony up or get lost. You're ruining our game."

I want to give everyone a chance to catch up to Gashur before the next bit. I'll post again tomorrow or Sunday.

Yas392
2020-12-19, 12:54 AM
Elayne nods with a smile. At the mention of a few friends, the samsaran's forehead furrows and her vitality of her smile disappears replaced by a neutral line.

"I am sorry for your losses. You have my condolences."

Then, the female half-orc butts in with sudden belligerence which causes her to turn to the dwarf and halfling.

"Is she always like that?"

Eonn
2020-12-19, 10:23 PM
"Of course!" Alexis says, already imagining the lost lore that may lie deep in the dungeon. "Though, I may take the time to make a copy for myself of anything particularly interesting. Hope you don't mind."

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-20, 10:31 PM
The Hard Place

The halfling sniggers and the dwarf releases a bark of laughter. "She can be, but we wouldn't have her any other way." The halfling manages. "But you should head out. Your companions are heading to the prison, and Mereen is getting pretty pissed." They turn themselves back towards their game as a new hand is dealt by the cloaked figure.

The Prison- Ground Floor

Gashur and all those who follow him enter into a large chamber of stone, about one hundred feet squared. The chamber is illuminated by glowing red braziers handing from the wall that show no evidence of fuel source or flame, though many torches have been set up to provide better illumination. There are twenty four people scattered throughout the chamber, the majority of them dwarven, with few of them carrying armor or arms. Most are carrying delicate tools, brushes, or books and quills. They are taking rubbings from the murals on the walls, taking notes on the ancient dwarven script written on the borders of the ceilings and walls, or chatting about recent findings with one another. In the center of the room is a large stone circle about twenty by twenty with two dwarven runes carved into it. Even from the door Gashur can smell the scent of blood, and the stone circle is splashed with it in copious amounts, though time has dried vivid reds to rusty crimson. One of the archaeologists is scrubbing at the blood with a stiff brush and a bucket of water, but try as he might the blood will not come out. All the workers, researchers, and their meager compliment of guards avoid the stone circle completely, moving around it carefully. On each side of the square room there are six stone statues representing armed and armored dwarves, all of them turned to face the circle as though guarding it. When Gashur clears the Gate he is silhouetted, his shadow falling long over the room by the bright light behind him, and all the archaeologists quiet and turn to face him for a few seconds before returning to their work just as quietly, with the exception of one. A timid looking tiefling wearing scholarly robes shuffles around the stone circle, nearly bumping into the scrubber, and makes his way up a small set of steps to meet Gashur. "Adventurer, I presume. I am Bartimeus Rosund, the expedition's liaison to your... profession." He has curved ram horns jutting off the corners of his hairline, teak black skin, and a slightly forked tongue set around vibrant yellow eyes that shine in the dimness through half spectacles. "I suppose you want a key stone, hmmm? Well we're all out of them. I'm afraid we can't spare another just to have it lost down there."

Yas392
2020-12-20, 11:59 PM
"So that is her name."

Elayne's voice trails off in a whisper to empty air opposite of her audience. She face them back with a smile.

"On the contrary, I am just here to drop by to check rather than to have a long chat. I am already running short on time with my companions gone. If I return, maybe I will spend some time playing this card game with you and getting acquainted with each of you. If I do play with you, teach me, okay? I am a first timer. Well, well, look at the time. I got to go. Farewell until next time."

The female samsaran waves before she sweeps out of the door with grace. She arrives at the prison, a bit out of breath.

"I am sorry I am late. Did I miss anything? If I did, give me a quick summary."

u-b
2020-12-21, 01:21 AM
"No problem." says Gashur "We'll just bash down every door we find. Besides, how many you've lost there and how much do they cost? Aaand... maybe you have a map? If you can't spare a copy, I would just have a look."

Make your best guess whether he's bluffing. :thog:

Dimers
2020-12-21, 02:47 PM
"We'll do no such thing," Sivi states, finally arriving and sounding a bit offended. "We'll open the doors carefully with an eye for their archaeological and tactical value. But yes, a map would be great!"

Phantom Genius
2020-12-22, 04:32 AM
"And onward to fame and fortune," Sivi comments to no one in particular as she heads out the door. "Inga? You're a good egg, you know that? I wasn't expecting to have friends so quickly here."

"You find the traps, so I don't get blown up and I'll put you back together if you find them the wrong way."

Phantom Genius
2020-12-22, 04:37 AM
"No problem." says Gashur "We'll just bash down every door we find. Besides, how many you've lost there and how much do they cost? Aaand... maybe you have a map? If you can't spare a copy, I would just have a look."

"We'll do no such thing," Sivi states, finally arriving and sounding a bit offended. "We'll open the doors carefully with an eye for their archaeological and tactical value. But yes, a map would be great!"

"Gashur, I like your bravery, and Sivi, I like your intelligence. Can we agree to use intelligence on the traps and bravery on the monsters?"

"Bartimeus, which way did the last group with a key stone go? Perhaps they are finished with it..." She lets that last part trail off morbidly.

Yas392
2020-12-22, 09:46 AM
Elayne studies Barthimeus to see if he is lying.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-22, 11:45 PM
The Prison- Ground Floor

Bartimeus grows increasingly more concerned as the party discusses their approach. "You musn't break down the doors, sir! Many of the doors down there have murals and writings on them that have not been fully explored!" He quivers in disgust at the thought. "We only have one more keystone! I wish we could share it but We've sent five more down there that haven't come up!" He swallows nervously for a few seconds and then continues. "But we DO have limited maps. And you may feel free to copy what we have compiled from our own explorations and what we've gleaned from your predecessors escapades." He gestures over towards a pop-up table in the nearest corner of the room to the right. "Step into my office, if you please." He strides across the room at an academic pace, sitting down in a folding chair behind the table. He reaches behind him and brings forth a leather bound book from a group of boxes. Turning back, he places the book on the table and opens it to the first page. "You'll want to make special note of the traps we've discovered and not neutralized. We can't neutralize a trap until it has been fully studied and catalogued, you understand."

Map is on the way! Elayne senses no deception from Bartimeus, especially after that admission.

u-b
2020-12-23, 01:53 AM
"All right, all right! Not breaking down things." Gashur does not seem too happy about it, but decides not to go against the consensus. "How do we recognize a keystone and how do we use it?" He looks at the map. Hoping that somebody else will copy it for later use, he just stares at it and tries to become as familiar with it as he possibly can.

Dimers
2020-12-23, 04:33 AM
"Yes! This is it, I've been waiting for months to get my hands on a map this good!" Taking parchment and pen from her pack, Sivi sets to copying the map in detail. She's clearly on more of a high from this than from the Diamond Dust cocktail (and that's saying something).

Phantom Genius
2020-12-23, 06:48 AM
"We only have one more keystone! I wish we could share it but We've sent five more down there that haven't come up!" He swallows nervously for a few seconds and then continues. "But we DO have limited maps.

Inga's voice shifts to a diplomatic tone. "That's fabulous, thank you so much." (Without getting in Sivi's way) She points to the map of the first level. "Which way did the last few teams go? Also, please show us what a key stone looks like." (I'm assuming OOC that we've never seen one before.)

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Laughing to herself..."you mustn't break the traps." This nerd is crazy.

Eonn
2020-12-23, 08:18 PM
Alexos, too, brings out a journal to sketch out the important details of the provided map. "We shouldn't be breaking anything down there." He scolds his party. "Even the traps. Every cut stone and hammered steel is a clue to how these people lived and worked, after all. Say, if we are able to locate one of your missing keystones, would you be willing to pay for its recovery?"

Yas392
2020-12-24, 12:15 PM
Elayne narrows her eyes at Bartimeus but says nothing. She follows the company and the exposed tiefling to his office. Drawing out her journal, she points at the empty pages with her index finger, treating it as an improvised inkpen. From it spews makeshift ink she creates using prestidigitation, filling them with a log of today's events in addition to up to date information and a sketch of the map that the tiefling allowed the group to copy. Once she finished, she closes her journal and looks at Bartimeus.

"Though I cannot speak for the group, I dislike our group being lied to. We are risking our lives to explore uncharted ground to sate your hunger for lost knowledge. I hope for the sake of our partnership that you will present us with correct, truthful information from now on. Misinformation and information discrepancy can lead to the loss of trust hence the discontinuation of mutual interests."

The robed female samsaran pauses as she takes a breath, skims the information she copied before looking at the tiefling.

"Other than the information provided, can you tell us the names and appearance of the five explorers that you sent down there? So we can identify them if we stumble into them, dead or alive."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-26, 07:14 PM
The Prison- Ground Floor

Bartimeus seems relieved by Gashur's change of heart. "The keystones always take the form of a stone amulet with a rune in the center and a ring of runes surrounding it. We propose that there are others we have yet to discover, as all the ones we have found bear identical markers and a prominent rune for "One" on them, leading us to believe that further down there may be a "Two", or a "Three" for more secure access." Turning to Inga, he says "The last few teams went into the western and southern quadrants of the map. You'll notice we have the least definitive information about those areas. They may have found their way deeper in and not bothered to come up and report their findings. You'll find that's quite common, unfortunately." When she requests to see a keystone he sighs and reaches into his shirt, drawing out a stone circle on the end of a chain. Just as he said there are a ring of runes surrounding a central rune. "To use the keystone you press it into a recess on the stone door. You'll see what I mean when you start finding locked doors down there." When Alexos mentions finding the lost keystones, Bartimeus nearly jumps with glee. "Yes, of course we'd be willing to pay you! A fine bounty, I'm sure! I'd have to authorize the funds through the head of the expedition, but rest assured, if you find excess keystones we will pay handsomely for them!"

Then Elayne gives the archaeologist a dressing down, and he clearly looks crestfallen at her words. When she follows up with a question he answers immediately and eagerly, as though trying to make up for his earlier fib. "I can give you information on the last two parties to go down. The three before that received their keystones from the first expedition... unfortunately the scientists and specialists from the expedition are... missing. They were the groups that pressed on into the unknown, you see, deeper into the prison before we knew how unsafe it was. When they stopped sending messages back the second expedition was sent out, and we found... well... extensive notes, the few remaining keystones, and small library of fascinating analyses and papers... but no corporeal evidence of our missing fellows. I'll provide you a list of the missing adventuring party, as well as a list of missing members of the academia, in case you stumble across either. We would be most grateful to see our fellows returned to us, alive... or otherwise. It would only be right to notify their families, you see." He grabs a piece of parchment and begins scribbling a list of names and descriptions for your use.

Happy holidays, all. More map information and a list of NPC's to hunt for coming soon!

u-b
2020-12-28, 01:35 AM
"How about we go south then?" says Gashur having done examining the map. "Like, NOW."

Eonn
2020-12-28, 06:19 PM
"I don't see why not. We did come here to explore this place, did we not?" Alexos chimes in, having finished copying the map into his journal. "It doesn't matter where we start, so long that we do."

Dimers
2020-12-29, 06:58 AM
"Great to see such excitement, but don't forget to let me check the doors before we open them." Sivi tucks away her writing supplies and straps her pack on smoothly.

Phantom Genius
2020-12-30, 09:11 AM
Inga stays well back as Sivi checks for traps. Someone has to be alive to heal her if she makes one false move...

Yas392
2020-12-30, 09:28 PM
Elayne accepts the parchment after the tiefling is done with it. Skimming the contents, she shrugs at the two member's excitement about their venture into the unknown.

"I am just waiting for someone to say those words and lead."

purepolarpanzer
2020-12-30, 10:55 PM
The Prison- Ground Floor

Bartimeus, hearing your enthusiasm for journeying down, gestures to the circle in the center of the room. "If you are ready to proceed, all you have to do is stand on the Dwarvish rune for "Down" and read it aloud. Curiously though, if you are of extraplanar origin, such as myself, you're going to want to have someone more naturalized to the mortal plane do it. Those indecent stains there are the result of an Aasimar researcher trying it out. It seems the builders of this place wanted it protected from extraplanar threats. But I assure you- if you have someone do it for you, you'll be perfectly safe on your way down and up. You all DO know how to read Dwarvish, don't you?"

Yas392
2020-12-31, 02:05 PM
Elayne's pupils dart sideways.

"I do not know the language. I CAN pretend to read the runes. Someone else will have to do it or tell me how to say "Down" and "Up" in dwarven."

Eonn
2020-12-31, 06:49 PM
"I do, it was one of the languages I picked up while working with the family business." Alexos says. "Much easier to by beer, ale and most liquor when you speak the language of the brewers. Suppose I can trigger it, once everyone one is ready.." With that, Alexos steps on the denoted symbol, stave at the ready incase he happens to teleport face to face with a kobold or something.

Once everyone has joined him, he speaks the command. "Down."

Dimers
2020-12-31, 09:07 PM
Sivi looks at the bloody blotch and gulps. "I know the language, but I'll keep my mouth under lock and key. I'm as plane-touched as any aasimar. Thanks for volunteering, Alexos."

purepolarpanzer
2021-01-04, 07:18 PM
The Prison- Ground Floor

"I wish you all the best!" Bartimeus follows you to the stone circle, but notably does not stand on it. The party notes a rush of air around them when Alexos speaks the word of command, and the rune for "Down" that Alexos is standing on begins to grow with crimson light. There is a dizzying tingle of magic that runs from your toes to the tip of your hair. Seemingly out of nowhere a dwarvish voice repeats what Alexos said, seemingly from nowhere. It goes on to say "All floors in lockdown. All prisoners are to be contained or eliminated. Arm yourselves, armor yourselves, and know that Torag is with you, clansman." Then in a single moment you are all transported. There is a miniature feeling of being pulled somewhere, a much lesser feeling than when your jumped from your home plane to Vouno, and suddenly you are in complete darkness.

The Prison- Basement One

After a few seconds of complete dark, red light begins to fill the chamber, rising from empty braziers at all four cardinal directions. It illuminates a grim sight- there is a body resting on the stone floor of the square room. Stringy, thin white hair grows from a head that lies facedown on the stone, while the body is armed with a heavily rusted iron sword and armored by corroded metal plates and worn leather straps. In each corner of the room rests a stone statue of a dwarf that stretched up to fifteen feet tall. Each one is armed with a hammer, an axe, or a pick, clad in thick armor, and bearing identical helmets and sigils.

The sigils on the shields and armor is a heavy stylized and antiquated word for "Mountain" carved from crimson stone, denoting "Red Mountain".

House sigils like these have been a part of dwarven culture since it's earliest days. They are used to identify what family in what region you are from. Since they are identical in medium and form, you could assume that all these dwarves were from the same clan, likely related, and all in the same profession.

The walls and floors are made from solid. rusty red stone, with perfectly smooth, unblemished surfaces. Paths lie to the north, south, east, and west directions, each one shut by a stone door. The doors are inscribed with a plethora of runes in ornate, symmetrical patterns, as decorated as the walls are unadorned.

These runes are real works of spell casters, and at one point they channeled powerful magic. Only a fraction is left behind, running circuits through the runes for "approach", "rise" and "fall", but most of them are chipped, broken, and interrupted. At one point there were dozens of spells active on these doors around the clock, but no longer.

u-b
2021-01-05, 02:51 AM
Gashur approaches the dead boby and, with a spike of his long-shafted hammer, tries to fling the sword away from it. He tries to guess how long it has been here.

Heal [roll0] and/or Survival [roll1] to estimate the age of this body and, if possible, the cause of death

Phantom Genius
2021-01-06, 07:01 AM
Gashur approaches the dead boby and, with a spike of his long-shafted hammer, tries to fling the sword away from it. He tries to guess how long it has been here.

Inga will also make a Heal check
[roll0]

Yas392
2021-01-06, 08:11 AM
As the party appears in the prison, Elayne pats Gashur on the shoulder.

"Well done making the tiefling confess his lies."

She looks at the body and waits first to see if anything happens as the two interacts with the corpse while keeping her senses sharp. If nothing happens, she will scurry to it to conduct her examination.

Perception: [roll0]
Heal (if no danger after Inga and Gashur's corpse inspection): [roll1]

purepolarpanzer
2021-01-06, 01:30 PM
The Prison- Basement One

The first step in learning anything about this body is to flip it over. It bears no wounds upon it's back and it has enough hair to tell you it was a within this century, but that isn't very helpful. Gashur's weapon turns the body over, revealing it's features- a smiling old man. He bears no visible wounds or maladies. His eyes are closed, his pallor is pale. He bears a sizable moustache and an unkempt beard.

Giving information for all the rolls in one go in ascending order. If you rolled higher than someone you essentially know what they know in your own way in addition to what you know.

This human is very recently alive. As in immediately. So immediate that it is not in the training of an archaeologist to diagnose him. A healer or a doctor would be more appropriate. The flesh is healthy and pliant for an older gentleman, aged but not mummified or treated in any form.

No weapons, no magic, and no creature was used to kill this man. He looks really old for a human, maybe in his sixties or seventies.

This man was well armed and armored. His sword is iron, as are the plates on leather across his body. He bears an iron hilted dagger in his boot. The world of Mund is moving on from bronze weapons, but they are still common. Any warrior worth his salt would want to bear iron. This man was either wealthy or lucky in the dungeon.

A brief physical examination tells you that this man is still warm. He died within an hour or so, and there TRULY is no trace of what killed him- no marks, lesions, wounds, blood, or burns anywhere on his body. No obvious signs or poison or spellwork. No rigor mortis. If this man died of something it was internal or old age that did him in.

This man had a heart attack, possibly from overstimulation or exhaustion or both. He is well muscled and fit, but exceedingly aged for the idea of dungeon crawling. You'd place the time of death as forty minutes ago and his age as mid seventies.

Eonn
2021-01-06, 04:50 PM
As the rest of the team crowds around to investigate the body, Alexos finds himself walking along the edges of the room examining the statues and the carvings.

Linguistics: [roll0]
History: [roll1]
Arcana:[roll2]

"Huh, fascinating." He comments at both the construction of the statues and the myriad of magical effects that must once have warded the room's doors.

u-b
2021-01-07, 12:28 AM
As Inga narrates her findings, Gashur looks somewhat puzzled. "So, a fresh one and died of natural causes, but still has all-rusted gear? Was he an inhabitant here one way or another? We can take him up and ask if they do recognize him."

Do we have dim light or normal light here?
Perception [roll0] +2 in dim light

Yas392
2021-01-07, 01:42 AM
Elayne draws the parchment she accepted from Barthimeus to see if any of the names and descriptions match the one in the scroll.

Phantom Genius
2021-01-08, 09:20 AM
As Inga narrates her findings, Gashur looks somewhat puzzled. "So, a fresh one and died of natural causes, but still has all-rusted gear? Was he an inhabitant here one way or another? We can take him up and ask if they do recognize him."

I like this idea, unless there is some penalty for coming and going too often. I hope he hasn't aged dramatically while he was here. The old man part makes me nervous.

Eonn
2021-01-08, 05:57 PM
"Perhaps one of the traps? Of course, causing and reducing ageing has always been tricky to do with magic, if a magical effect did age him then we need to find the source. You know there's people who would pay good money if a de-ageing spell could be brought back."

purepolarpanzer
2021-01-08, 06:52 PM
The Prison- Basement One

From the writings of Bartimeus, this man could be a member of the Mutts- either the leader Gaston or the medic Melvin. Odds are Gaston, by Gashur's reckoning- the man has a strong jaw, handsome features, and the bearing of a leader of men and women.

This, and most of the dungeon, will be in dim light. Some of it will be in utter darkness and some may be bright, but I'd say 50% of the time the light will be dim.

Phantom Genius
2021-01-09, 08:29 AM
Did Bartimeus say anything about coming and going through the teleporter? Do we know if it would be a problem if we brought the body back now?

Does the body have a key?

Yas392
2021-01-09, 08:45 AM
Causing her handbow to light up the room in the courtesy of a casting of a light spell, Elayne searches the body for anything useful other than what she seen.

"He looks half-elven. Either Gaston or Melvin from the list. I did not expect that we happen on a corpse that quick."

Perception to search body: [roll0]

u-b
2021-01-11, 12:43 PM
Gashur waits for the others to search the body. Meanwhile, he makes an observation. "If that was a magical trap, that should be easy to notice. Like, you just detect magic everywhere we go. Starting, like, now."

Dimers
2021-01-12, 08:37 PM
"Speaking of which ..." Sivi moves closer to the south door and begins checking it over while the others busy themselves with the fallen man.

After glancing at my path of travel between here and there -- Perception [roll0] to find traps -- I'll inspect the door thoroughly for a total Perception of 33.

purepolarpanzer
2021-01-13, 11:58 AM
The Prison- Basement One

Elayne's search of the body is not fruitless, but it is not encouraging. Examining the man's pack, she finds a large, ragged hole in it and nothing else. Presumably anything in the pack now lies strewn across the dungeon somewhere. However, when searching around the man's neck she finds two things- a signet ring hanging on a chain with the symbol of some house on it that has been defaced to illegibility by a sharp tool like a dagger, alongside a blue stone circle on a chain with a circle of runes surrounding a stern dwarven face made out of bronze, silver, and gold. This matches the description Bartimeus gave you for a key stone.

Sivi's exploration of the southward facing door takes twenty minutes, but she does find something. There is an active "trap" on the door, hidden in the plethora of runes that cover it's surface. When the door is opened, which will occur when someone comes within a foot of it, a silent alarm will be triggered somewhere in the prison. Who is alive to hear the alarm and what their reaction will be remains a mystery.

Yas392
2021-01-13, 02:23 PM
Elayne holds up an object turned up in her search.

"What a surprise! This man has a key stone among his possessions. I will hold on to this until we either turn it in to Barthimeus for cash or need it to access an area depending on our decision."

She takes her journal out, dropping the stone into her pack. She updates it with the details from the parchment and her findings in this floor before stowing it away. The samsaran's eyes glow blue as she takes her place just some distance behind Sivi, scanning the door for any trace of magic.

Cast Detect Magic.

Knowledge (Arcana) to identify any detected magic: [roll0]

Eonn
2021-01-13, 05:24 PM
"Seems fair." Alexos comments when the key stone is found. "Perhaps we keep ahold of this one, and turn in any others we find for a reward. Anyhow, I suppose we ought to return the body back up to the entrance chamber. Shame, didn't think a corpse would be the first thing we hauled up."

Dimers
2021-01-16, 01:41 AM
Sivi adds a shorthand note about the alarm to her map, then informs her allies. "No traps. But if we open the door, there's some sort of alarm set up SOMEwhere in the complex. It's probably silent and it's probably not monitored anyway, so let's move ahead, if you're all ready."

u-b
2021-01-16, 02:22 AM
"Or you check the western door first. I am not too eager to inform the kobolds of our arrival." Says Gashur with a shrug. "There should be a reason the groups going there never came back."

Phantom Genius
2021-01-16, 08:11 AM
"Seems fair." Alexos comments when the key stone is found. "Perhaps we keep ahold of this one, and turn in any others we find for a reward. Anyhow, I suppose we ought to return the body back up to the entrance chamber. Shame, didn't think a corpse would be the first thing we hauled up."

"Agreed. Up and back quickly, then the door? Can the alarm be disabled, nimble fingers?"

Eonn
2021-01-19, 04:17 AM
"Sure thing." Alexos replies. "Er, if someone could help me carry him to the platform, I'd appreciate it. We'll try not to take to long. Lord knows I'm not good at talking to people, but force me to deal with a dead stranger?" Alexos shakes his head.

purepolarpanzer
2021-01-20, 09:50 PM
Elayne perceives an alarm spell, and well as a spell that raises and lowers the door when someone comes close.

Yas392
2021-01-20, 10:25 PM
Elayne points to the door she perceive with her magical eyes.

"It is still a trap. A magical one at that. Unless we have the means to negate it, tread at our own risk."

She turns to Gashur.

"Perhaps we can use a kobold as a guide around here if we leave or catch one alive. They make a good source of information for our logbooks if one of us know how to speak draconic."

She shifts her body as she loots the dead half-elven. Once she finish stripping all the possession minus the clothing and symbol that serve as identification, she arrange them into a pile.

"Discuss among yourselves which tool or possession in the pile that I gather is best distributed to who while I scan the remaining room for magic. After that, let's take the corpse up before we continue."

The samsaran scans the remaining room for remnants of magic. If there is none, she will wait for the party's decision.

Cast Detect Magic, scanning the remainder of the room and doors for magic.

Knowledge (Arcana) to ID spell (vs DC 20+Spell Level) if there is one: [roll0]

Knowledge (Arcana) to ID spell (vs DC 15+Spell Level) if there is one: [roll1]

Dimers
2021-01-21, 06:13 AM
"Or you check the western door first. I am not too eager to inform the kobolds of our arrival," says Gashur with a shrug.

"Can the alarm be disabled, nimble fingers?"

"Well, the west door's alarm is dead, so we could just start there instead. I don't think I could do anything about that kind of trap -- as soon as someone gets too close to the door, it'll open up and the alarm will go off. Can't do my work without getting close enough to touch it. So, west, then?" Sivi doesn't seem bothered by the change in direction.

"Discuss among yourselves which tool or possession in the pile that I gather is best distributed to who while I scan the remaining room for magic. After that, let's take the corpse up before we continue."

Sivi demurs. "Oh, none for me. I'm pretty specialized ... daggers and little tools, both of which I already have."

Phantom Genius
2021-01-21, 08:33 AM
Who is taking the keystone? Sivi?

Inga will help move the body to the transporter pad. (Wrong genre!)

u-b
2021-01-21, 11:41 AM
"Assuming they can be made to talk, I would be able to communicate. We'll see how it goes." Gashur shrugs. "West it is, then, just wait while we haul up the body."

Eonn
2021-01-22, 07:48 PM
Along with those helping him move the deceased, Alexos gives the command from the pad to return to the entrance.

purepolarpanzer
2021-01-23, 03:48 PM
The Prison- Basement One

Elayne's survey of the room determines that all the doors are magical in as much as they rise and fall automatically when you approach or pass through them, but only the southern door has an alarm spell on it. Part of the party splits off, standing on the circular rune stone and speaking the dwarvish word for "Up".

The Prison- Ground Floor

The archaeologists take a step back in surprise when people return from down below so quickly, and fall back even more when they realize the cargo that comes with them. Several rush away to see to other duties, but Bartimeus solemnly steps forward, calling over a few of the young archaeologists to help. One comes with a large roll of linen. "If you could set him down off the pad, please. I'm loathe to step on that thing." Once he has had a moment to examine the corpse, he sighs and shakes his head. "Gaston... they say he went deeper than anyone else." The team of scientists begin stripping him of his armor, following up by wrapping him in linen. Bartimeus calls one human woman forward and points towards the door. "Go to Qwerk's and buy some firewood. The pyre will start in an hour." Then his attention returns to the group. "Thank you for bringing him up. We'll see to his arrangements."

u-b
2021-01-23, 11:43 PM
"Did he look this old when he went in? I wonder what he was hit by, assuming his sword and armor were in normal condition when you last met."

purepolarpanzer
2021-01-26, 11:13 AM
The Prison- Ground Floor

"No, not at all. He was a young man, perhaps in his late twenties or thirties when he embarked. And his equipment was... different. He must have found arms and armor within the dungeon." Bartimeus reaches a hand out and strokes the dead man's cheek. "I had hoped that the Mutts would reach the bottom floor. If this... foul magic is any indication... perhaps they did."

u-b
2021-01-26, 11:33 AM
"Too bad they tried to do it in one go and leave no notes. I wish we could ask him some questions. Whatever. We'll try to report more often. Let's go."

Ready to descend and open the door west.

Eonn
2021-01-27, 01:27 AM
Alexos, looking back solemnly at the fallen adventurer, returns to the pad and gives the command to return to the group below.

Yas392
2021-01-27, 07:59 AM
Before she steps on the pad and wait for Alexos's dwarven command, Elayne takes out the parchment with the list of names and crosses out Gaston.

"Wait! Before we go down again, do the listed these expedition members have any notable features? Scars, birthmarks, birth defect or other visual features? If so, you might want to update this parchment. Additional details like the pitch of their voice, their usual behavior, and etc, would also be great if you can provide them. We would appreciate it as it would make it easier for us to identify any of the lost members."

purepolarpanzer
2021-01-31, 09:32 AM
The Prison- Ground Floor

"I don't remember perfectly, but I do remember a few things that may assist you in identifying them." Bartimeus takes a quill and jots a few notes down on the list of party members who braved the dungeon.

The Prison- Basement 1

The group returns to the chamber, having dropped Gaston's body off for apparent cremation by the archaeologists.

Dimers
2021-01-31, 05:35 PM
Sivi is waiting near the west door, dagger in hand. "Everybody ready? I'll go through first."

Yas392
2021-02-01, 06:15 AM
Elayne nods as Bartimeus jots down what he remembers. The follow up descend and one statement later, she holds a hand up, palm facing Sivi, who is waiting by the western entrance.

"We haven't decide on what to do with the keystone we acquired. I, for one, agree we should keep this one, leaving it with Sivi who can do us a service by opening all those locked doors for us. What do you think?"

Her head flicks between the rest of the group and the rogue at brief intervals.

u-b
2021-02-01, 11:50 AM
Gashur stands ready to intercept anythyng coming from behind the door. He nods in agreement to proposed keystone allocation.

Eonn
2021-02-03, 03:19 PM
"I don't see why that wouldn't work." Alexos says from his position in the back of the group, his hands gripping his quarterstaff tightly.

Yas392
2021-02-03, 08:35 PM
Once Eonn utters those words, Elayne closes the distance and drops the keystone onto Sivi's hand.

"Lead on."

purepolarpanzer
2021-02-04, 03:06 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

The western door opens into a straight hallway with three offshoots- two to the left and right respectively with iron doors bearing a blue circular slot in them fifteen feet in, and a chamber further down. Darkvision reveals the walls to be made from red stone. The same dull red lights are emitted from sconces near the ceiling, reflecting crimson light down. This poor illumination limits regular vision, but does nothing to limit the senses of those with dark vision or superior low light senses. Inside the chamber is a large circular hole, ten feet in diameter, but it is impossible to see inside without getting closer.

Dimers
2021-02-04, 11:45 PM
After accepting the precious stone, Sivi slides quietly ahead to give the north and south doors a once-over. She's being very cautious, though not as thorough as with the doors from the entry chamber.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception from the doorway to the split (AJ51 to AL51 on the googledoc map): [roll1]
Perception looking north [roll2], looking south [roll3], looking west [roll4]
All Perception checks are -1 for anything other than traps.

Phantom Genius
2021-02-06, 08:43 AM
"Do you want a light spell cast into the hole or do you want to stay stealthy?" Inga whispers.

u-b
2021-02-06, 09:50 AM
Slowly and silently, on lookout for any potential traps, Gashur approaches the hole and looks in.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1] with darkvision 120

Yas392
2021-02-06, 10:22 AM
Elayne renews her light spell on her handbow after standing way back from the group.

purepolarpanzer
2021-02-07, 11:57 AM
The Prison- Basement 1

Sivi's eyes find no sign of traps north, south, east, or west of the party's current position. The hallway seems to be safe. The doors off the hallway are not stone but solid metal, imposing and strong enough to resist attempts to break them down. Each one has a recessed slot obviously meant for a key stone with the same color stone waiting to receive the key. Gashur, on the other hand, discovers something more dire. Walking down the hallway a distance, he gets a better look at the hole. There is a stone plaque on the far wall with some words written in dwarvish (anyone who knows the language can identify an archaic script for "garbage chute"). The hole is made from the same red stone as the dungeon, and it plunges down into untold darkness beyond Gashur's senses, plunging down into the abyss. A light puff of acrid air meets his face, and as he leans in farther he can see that the walls of the hole are moving. It takes the half-orc a few seconds the identify the reason, but he comes to the slightly horrific realization that the entire chute is coated with a massive grey ooze- a liquid monster that eats flesh and metal equally easy. The creature seems to have not noticed you yet, but it is languidly flowing up the pipe, presumably towards some sign of heat or sound that it can sense from the party. He estimates that it will come up out of the hole in ten seconds or so, moving at a rate of twenty feet every six seconds or so.

Gashur rolled a nonnatural 20 on his knowledge dungeoneering roll, so he knows most of this. (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/oozes/ooze-gray/)

u-b
2021-02-07, 10:24 PM
Gashur quickly falls back and goes straight to the wizard. "I need a bull's strength now, then maybe and enlarge." Having said that and hopefully set the things in motion, Gashur explains. "A gray ooze. They are acidic and dissolve all but stone, so don't try your weapons on it."

Stealth [roll0] for full-speed stealth

Eonn
2021-02-07, 11:59 PM
Alexos, who had just used prestidigitation to light his lantern, is quick to start casting his magic. Bull's Strength was one of the most complicated spells the young wizard knew, and with combat looming Alexos felt his heart begin to race. Despite this, he has the time to get the first of the spells off on Gashur.

"I suppose my stave or acid cantrip isn't going to be much help then." He says as he moves on to casting Enlarge Person.

Do I have the time for both spells before combat starts?

Bull's Strength- +4 Strength for 3 minutes.
Enlarge Person- Become large (-1 AC and to hit, increased damage die), +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity for 3 minutes.

Dimers
2021-02-08, 10:11 PM
"Well, I'm good and useless here," Sivi whispers with clear worry in her voice. She retreats toward the origin room, looking for missiles to hurl. What a time to be in a well-engineered dwarven 'ruin' without lots of stone scraps lying around!

Yas392
2021-02-09, 12:32 AM
Elayne shrugs.

"I can't do much then. Aside from that, I share Sivi's sentiment."

The robed samsaran positions herself 30 ft from the enemy, preparing to stare at the ooze when it appears in its full glory.

"If we are losing, do fall back."

Initiative: [roll0]

Ready an action to use hypnotic stare at ooze when it is fully materialized: -2 to will saves.

Phantom Genius
2021-02-09, 09:17 AM
Inga casts Holy Ice Weapon and wonders if it will do any good.

u-b
2021-02-11, 07:01 AM
While the spells are being cast, Gashur hurls the Lucerne hammer towards the exit to make sure it is not just lying around when the ooze comes. Then he draws a javelin snd gets ready to throw, all his muscles tensed.

Round 1: throw the hammer (standard)
Round 2: initiate rage (free), enter stance (move), ready attack (standard)

Readied cold iron javelin: [roll0] for [roll1]

purepolarpanzer
2021-02-13, 11:49 AM
The Prison- Basement 1

The ooze, not gray despite it's name but a darker, wetter shade of red than the ruin you occupy, crests the pit and begins flowing towards all of you. It's progress is slow but inexorable as it crosses the room like a flood of water given animus and hostility. Gashur's javelin stabs into the creature, splitting a hole in the monster that quickly refills with more of it's mass. Grey smoke begins to rise from the tip of the weapon as the cold iron bears the brunt of the ooze's acidic assault, and the creature oozes closer to all of you, moving across the floor and entering melee with the Gashur showing no signs of fear, intelligence, or cunning- only an innate desire to feed.

u-b
2021-02-13, 12:13 PM
As the oose gets closer, Gashur tries to rip it apart, going for more damage first, and for minimizing his contact second, shaking his hands violently after each strike to get the acid off them.

Claw AoO: [roll0] for [roll1] ref [roll2] (having natural reach now)
Claw: [roll3] for [roll4] ref [roll5]
Claw: [roll6] for [roll7] ref [roll8]
Bite: [roll9] for [roll10] ref [roll11] (if it comes to that)

purepolarpanzer
2021-02-13, 02:18 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Gashur's rage fueled assault literally rips the ooze to shreds, each claw attack rending deep cuts in his liquid foe. By the time he is done only splatters and puddles of the ooze remain, the last foot or so of the monster retreating into the hole again. The ooze Gashur saw in the chute was truly massive- atleast eight times the size of this small extension of the creature's bulk. Though oozes have next to no intelligence, this one seems to have reasoned that the food at the top of the chute was too dangerous to take lightly, keeping the majority of it's body in the hole and away from danger. This may be fortunate, because if it moved it's entire form into the room it would be enough liquid to overwhelm and possibly drown members of the party. Victorious, Gashur still feels acid sizzling on his hands and even his tongue from the bite he gave the monster, leaving angry red burns across the fighter's primal weapons.

Gashur takes 10 damage from ooze acid. Everyone gets 240 experience points for the short battle.

Yas392
2021-02-13, 11:42 PM
"That was anticlimactic but short and effective. Good job, Gashur. By the way, we might want to take some of the acidic goo with us. Could be useful if we are in a pinch."

Elayne checks the remains for any loot then takes her time to scan the room for magic and threats. If none, she will update her diary with Bartimeus's new notes, the state of the room and the situation Gashur resolved with his own bare hands.

Detect Magic to scan any trace of magic in the room that the group are in.

Knowledge (Arcana) to identify magic auras in the area (DC 15+spell level): [roll0]

Knowledge (Arcana) to identify spell effects in the area (DC 20+spell level): [roll1]

Perception (Take 20) - 29

u-b
2021-02-14, 03:49 AM
Gashur tries to claw the ooze one last time as it starts to retreat. He then waits for a few moments, letting it withdraw deeper into the hole not to get himself caught into a melee on the edge, then approaches the edge and looks if he can put one more javelin into that goo. He keeps remaining javelins for other uses. "This should have served as a lesson if only those things were able to learn. Can you give me those stones now? I'll see if I can drive it further."

Claw AoO: [roll0] for [roll1] ref [roll2] (natural reach vs withdraw, if applicable)
Cold iron javelin: [roll3] for [roll4] (while fatigued after the rage)

Perception [roll5] (darkvision 120)

u-b
2021-02-14, 10:32 AM
Gashur throws down two stones to follow the javelin and gets a hold of the third, but then shakes his head. "Nah, got away. Let me breathe a little and go ahead with the doors. I'll want to meet whatever's behind them while the spells are still hot." Having said that, Gashur takes a good look into the hole and goes back to pick up his long-shafted weapon.

Treating the stones as improvised weapons doing 1d2 base damage. Not counting range increments. Still fatigued for the rest of the minute.
Random stone: [roll0] for [roll1]
Random stone: [roll2] for [roll3]

Dimers
2021-02-15, 07:21 AM
"Thanks, Gashur. You really showed that thing what's what! Are you sure you're okay?" Given Gashur's apparent indifference to the pain, Sivi doesn't look too concerned, but it's wise to ask -- some people just don't show their emotions on their faces.

Phantom Genius
2021-02-15, 07:57 AM
Could Inga have gotten even one swing in with her Holy Ice Weapon as it came and went?

"Gashur, that was brilliant. Will you pause for a moment for Freya's Wound Closure?"

u-b
2021-02-15, 09:24 AM
Gashur looks at his acid-burned hands, clenches and unclenches the fists, wags his tongue inside the mouth and spits aside. "Somehow it feels less painful when the damage is done in the heat of a battle. Would probably heal overnight, but yeah, some minor cure would be handy in case we meet more stuff."

purepolarpanzer
2021-02-15, 11:57 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

The ooze's retreat was glacial, and Inga's weapon splashes more ooze across the walls at the last moment. Gashur's eyes follow the retreat of the ooze the full sixty feet his eyes can follow, and it appears the ooze is large enough to coat that full expanse, and presumably even larger. It seems to him that it may have been lucky that it chose to retreat instead of advance, as that much ooze would have been a much greater challenge, and victory, if achieved, would have come at a much greater cost. Aside from the ooze, Gashur can make out that the hole opens up to another floor about twenty feet below his boots, then continues downward, presumably to yet another floor below.

Elayne's magically enhanced eyes read a considerable magic signature in and around the hole. There is a gust of wind spell that has a far greater aura then a spell of that power should that seems triggered when something enters the hole. There is also an active unseen servant spell centered on the hole, and as Elayne watches this spell activates and a small, invisible (but visible with her detect magic) figure springs into existence and begins to sweep the remains of the ooze into the hole. To the rest of the party it appears that the small sticky bits of gunk are rolling across the ground and diving into the hole after their main body. When a particularly large chunk splatters down, the wind spell activates and a powerful surge of air, strong enough to be heard and to suck loose clothing towards the hole, flushes downward and rips the remnants of ooze off the walls down below, sending them raining down into darkness. When this happens, a dead pan dwarvish speaking voice, lacking any emotion whatsoever, says "Step away from the garbage chute. Watch your step." Then both spell effects stop, but the magic to create them remains.

u-b
2021-02-16, 01:39 AM
"Can you cast a light spell on this stone?" says Gashur intending to drop it down the hole to look further below.

For future reference: Gashur has darkvision out to 120 feet. He'll throw the shining stone down some time after the ooze leaves his sight to let it descend further below and not to block the stone's fall.

Phantom Genius
2021-02-16, 10:21 AM
Light you desire, light you shall have.

"Freya show him the light"

purepolarpanzer
2021-02-17, 04:00 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

With Freya's light to guide it, the stone drops into the tunnel like a morsel down a throat. The sight it reveals is grim. The massive ooze has somehow evolved to cling to the walls of the chute, and from around the hundred and twenty feet mark where it retreated to to the two forty, the walls are covered in a wet, reddish slime that ungulates and oozes. By the way the shadows play, Gashur can tell that every twenty to forty feet down there is another opening to a lower floor, though it seems that at lower levels the chute is built into the well with the exit being horizontal instead of vertical. As the stone falls, the wind again kicks up, sucking the rock down at ever increasing speeds. However, at about the two hundred and forty mark (as Gashur would estimate it) there is a green pulse of light. When this pulse fades, he can no longer see the stone- the chute is pitch black again.

Phantom Genius
2021-02-18, 05:19 AM
<whispers> "This place is crazy. I am not going down there...Maybe another door?"

Yas392
2021-02-18, 05:58 AM
Elayne shares her findings with the party.

u-b
2021-02-18, 09:54 AM
"Impressive. I would say we add a barrel of alkali on our shopping list and move on. The doors now, indeed." Gashur, now that he has taken a minute to breathe, gets ready for combat near the doors.

AJ51 on my map, which is the corridor right between the doors.

Eonn
2021-02-20, 01:58 AM
"Some garbage chute." Alexis comments. "Still, if we were to clean it out, it would make for easy access to the floors below. We'd just have to rig up a puppy system or something..."

Yas392
2021-02-20, 03:54 AM
Elayne shivers.

"The depths of this network worries me. As we are now, I doubt I have a spell to rid of the wind effect and the systematic invisible servant unless our resident wizard has a solution that counters both of them. To add to the danger, a massive slime lurks in the darkness, clinging by the walls."

She glances at Alexos in brevity before looking at the gunk the servant is sweeping away.

"The other doors then. We can come back later once we are confident enough. But first, anyone has a vial or container? The opportunity to sample the acidic remains before the system sweeps it into the chute is too good to pass up."

Dimers
2021-02-21, 01:38 PM
"Sorry, no containers on me that the acid wouldn't eat. Let's get moving quickly before the spells wear off," Sivi suggests, nodding to Gashur in agreement. She gives the others a moment to gather themselves, then opens the corridor's southern door.

purepolarpanzer
2021-02-22, 04:22 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Sivi inserts the keystone and the door responds immediately, lifting up into the ceiling with a faint rumbling. Inside there are two ancient, decrepit beds stuffed with straw. The cloth of the sheets looks as though it was partially burned, and there are no occupants. Everything is so old and dry that it looks as though it would shatter like glass to the touch. The room is terribly small, but was probably a bit more tolerable for a dwarf.

This place is dismal. Who could live with nothing but a bed?There is a small groove in the leftmost corner of the room. It looks like it might slide away somehow.

u-b
2021-02-23, 01:27 AM
Gashur glances over the room for anything notable, then says "Let's open the other door, then we can search it all over."

Perception [roll0]

Phantom Genius
2021-02-23, 07:32 AM
Inga with bow in hand and arrow within reach glances around the room.

[roll0]

Phantom Genius
2021-02-23, 07:35 AM
"Sivi, over here, see the groove?"

Detect Magic

Eonn
2021-02-24, 04:28 PM
Alexos pokes his head in, but doesn't enter the room. Just not enough of space in there for the whole party.

Yas392
2021-02-25, 08:49 PM
Elayne eyes resume their normal look after she stops concentrating.

"No magic in the area."

Dimers
2021-02-27, 03:40 PM
"I do see it, but figuring out sliding walls may take some precious time. Let's see if the north door has anything of immediate interest." Adding a note to her mental map, Sivi turns and heads across the hall. She glances left as she goes, fearful that a gigantic red puddle of acid may have come back for vengeance.

Taking 10 on the Perception check for this room, then opening the door at AJ50.

purepolarpanzer
2021-03-01, 06:36 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Sivi doesn't find anything of note in the guard's bedroom, and when she moves across the hall and opens the door she finds an identical room, with one exception- there is a skeleton in one of the beds, bleached white bone covered in a thick layer of dust, grinning up at the ceiling as though someone had just told it a good joke.

There is a panel on a sliding track in the exact same location as the room across the hall. Now that it has been pointed out to everyone, it is much easier to find.

Yas392
2021-03-01, 07:07 PM
"Look, there is a panel over there. Sivi, will you do the honors?"

Elayne points to the sliding track.

Perception (Take 10) - 19

Dimers
2021-03-03, 06:54 PM
Sivi murmurs, "Yep, yep ..." and goes to work examining.

First, giving the skeleton a hairy eyeball -- is it about to get up and hack at us? [roll0]
Then looking for traps near the sliding panel: [roll1]
And trying to find a mechanism to open the darn thing: [roll2]
If I can't find a proper opening mechanism or I need a Disable check to use it: [roll3]

purepolarpanzer
2021-03-04, 07:44 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Sivi's search is very fruitful. The skeleton does not appear to be animate at all, no matter how much prodding, poking, magical observation, or probing is bestowed upon it. However, Tucked away in it's ribcage beneath the blanket of the bed is an iron key. The top of the key has runic designs in ancient dwarven tradition meaning "keep safe", but the bottom is heavily rusted and may not survive many more turns. Now to find what the key goes to...

She finds no sign of tripwires, hidden recesses, pressure plats, or pitfalls surrounding the panel. While searching for the release mechanism, she finds that the leg of the bed in the back corner of the room has some give to it. After applying a bit of pressure there is an audible CLUNK and the wall panel slides back on itself, revealing a secret passageway. Sensing no further traps in the immediate area, Sivi finds that there is a serpentine secret room that must be hidden behind walls in both the initial room they entered and the hallway of the western passage. The room is pitch black, but her darkvision easily makes out what it contains. To the south and the north there are curves in the room, and nestled into these curves are treasure chests that have been turned into small shrines. One to the south has an ancient stone idol to Torag in the shape of a warhammer resting on top next to a stone incense burner that still has the ashes from it's last offering. Another is surrounded by trinkets and keepsakes of home- child's drawings, a necklace with runic dwarvish charms on it, a wood and cloth doll, and a bronze statue of a dwarven woman. The two to the north bear similar curiosities surrounding them. Each chest is locked, but they look like simple affairs, primitive and rusted with age. Most interesting, there is another sliding mechanism perpendicular to the first, opening into another room. If cross-referenced on your map it appears it would open into a nearly identical room that is marked to the north.

Phantom Genius
2021-03-06, 01:21 AM
Nothing much to post on Inga's part. She keeps covering Sivi and will heal her if she finds a trap "the wrong way."

Dimers
2021-03-06, 06:12 AM
Sivi briefly checks the fit of the rusted key in the old treasure chests' locks but otherwise leaves them alone, focusing instead on opening the panel into the north wing's room. "There are some keepsakes in here," she announces as she works. "Probably nothing valuable, but the historians upstairs would love to see them, I'm sure."

... to get that other panel open from the inside. Perception? [roll0] Or add 1 if it's a Disable check.

purepolarpanzer
2021-03-06, 11:33 AM
The Prison- Basement 1

The rusted lock turns with Sivi's key, opening up the chest. She immediately notices that the lid is far heavier than it would appear to be, and when she lifts it up she sees it is lined with lead. Inside she finds a purse, a gemstone, two shells that remind her of the habitat of a hermit crab, and two miniature shot glass styled potions. Elayne's sharp eyes for magic indicate they are a potions bearing the spells pass without trace and stabilize. But the largest item in the chest is full sized battle axe. The haft is riddled with silver studs and leather, while the head is steel with gold inlay forming runic symbols for "strength", "fortitude", and "righteousness". Elayne can confirm that it is not magical, but is definitely of a quality to bear an enchantment.

The activating level on the sliding door is easy to find, if a bit low to the ground. It leads into an identical room with two beds, perfectly mirroring the rooms you found to the west. You would guess that they are guard rooms of some sort.

Treasure, with Sivi's appraise bonus and Elayne's spell identification taken into account-
6 gp
133 sp
Chrysoprase (50 gp)
Shell (11 gp)
Shell (13 gp)
Masterwork Battleaxe (310 gp)
Potion of Pass without Trace (50 gp)
Potion of Stabilize (25 gp)

More dwarven trinkets that may be of valuable to the archaeologists. Sivi estimates the value of the brickabrack to be 23 gp to the scientists, and it weighs 15 pounds. Just thought I'd include this if you guys are the "loot every single thing" kind of crowd.

Yas392
2021-03-08, 06:30 PM
"A potion of stabilize and pass without trace. Not a bad haul."

Elayne picks up the battle axe and shows it to Gashur.

"This weapon suits your fancy?"

u-b
2021-03-08, 10:38 PM
Gashur shrugs. "Only if I break my long hammer. I prefer to have longer reach. Still, a good thing to find. Worth some money."

Eonn
2021-03-09, 07:46 PM
"Actual dungeon treasure!" Alexos says, his eyes sparkling. "I've read about famous adventures and their hauls. Never thought I'd actually be one bringing treasure back to the surface though. Well, then shall we try the next one?"

Dimers
2021-03-10, 10:15 PM
More dwarven trinkets that may be of valuable to the archaeologists. Sivi estimates the value of the brickabrack to be 23 gp to the scientists, and it weighs 15 pounds. Just thought I'd include this if you guys are the "loot every single thing" kind of crowd.

... there are gamers who don't loot every single thing?

Carefully replacing the objects whose historical value outweighs their resale value, Sivi replies, "Yes. Let's. We can come back for these other goodies later, when we're on our way out -- I do want the archaeologists to see them, but I don't want them weighing me down in the meantime." She moves to the next chest but pauses before she opens it. Tapping her chin, she muses, "Wonder if there are corridors like this connecting all four corners? Nobody had written them onto a map ... we might just have a career-making haul on our hands!"

Traps on chests? [roll0], [roll1], [roll2].
Disable 'em if I find 'em: [roll3], [roll4], [roll5].
And pop them locks, baby! [roll6], [roll7], [roll8]!

purepolarpanzer
2021-03-11, 10:50 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Sivi makes quick work of the old, rusted locks, and detects no traps on any of these chests. Inside of them she finds a verifiable treasure trove of scrolls, potions, gems, coins, and even a few more weapons.

All items and prices are a combination of Sivi's appraise and Elayne's and Alexos' detect magic/spellcraft to identify, all achieved by taking a 10-

Chest 1

Coins
196 gp, 524 sp, 350 cp
Gems
[12 gp] unworked rhodochrosite (worth 6 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
Potions
[25 gp] potion/oil of virtue (CL 1)
[50 gp] potion/oil of jump (CL 1)
[25 gp] potion/oil of purify food and drink (CL 1)
[25 gp] potion/oil of stabilize (CL 1)
Scrolls
[25 gp] divine scroll of protection from evil (CL 1)
[150 gp] divine scroll of groundswell (CL 3)

Chest 2

Coins
20 gp, 117 sp
Gems
[9 gp] unworked malachite (worth 4 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[12 gp] unworked turquoise (worth 6 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[45 gp] sard
[9 gp] unworked pyrite (worth 4 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[12 gp] unworked pyrite (worth 6 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
Potions
[25 gp] potion/oil of resistance (CL 1)
Scrolls
[25 gp] arcane scroll of urban grace (CL 1)
Weapons
[315 gp] masterwork iron trident

Chest 3
Coins
8 gp, 100 sp
Potions
[300 gp] potion/oil of resist energy, fire (CL 3)
Scrolls
[25 gp] arcane scroll of shield (CL 1)
Weapons
[305 gp] masterwork iron longspear

Yas392
2021-03-12, 09:55 AM
Elayne breathes in relief that no mimic jumps at Sivi once she done the last chest. The robed Samsaran's eyes widen at the amount revealed that she has to keep patting her chest to calm herself down.

"As much as I love to wonder how many more secret caches the dwarves planted or how many hidden rooms they have in this forsaken place, let get this scavenging over with and move to the next room before I squeal from my glee to draw any potential enemies to us."

She helps gather the treasury at a breakneck pace.

Phantom Genius
2021-03-14, 06:32 AM
"I can use the longspear, but not the trident. Many a warrior queen of Freya has used such a weapon.

I cannot use the arcane scrolls, but I can take the divine ones. Can anyone else read the scroll of Stabilize in case I fall in battle?" She says this very matter-of-factly, as if it is inevitable at some point.

I would have to confirm that I can use a longspear with my shield. I wouldn't trade reach for defense unless we are in a narrow hallway.

u-b
2021-03-14, 07:10 AM
Gashur shrugs. "I have a bottle of healing and a full wand of the same. I say as long as we control the battlefield, should have no problem with healing any survivors, just make sure to use the bottle right if both me and Inga are down."

Dimers
2021-03-17, 04:05 PM
Just making sure folks are aware I can't access Discord right now. I posted it in the OOC thread, but I don't know if anybody reads that, being as we use Discord for most OOC.

Phantom Genius
2021-03-18, 07:10 AM
No worries. We can keep it all right here. Is everything claimed that people want? I assume the answer to my question about longspear and shield strapped to the arm is a big "No." :smallsmile:

Yas392
2021-03-18, 12:23 PM
As they pile the treasure, Elayne shrugs at the cleric and barbarian.

"If it eases your mind, I have a wand of healing that I will tap both of you in the event the bottle has been used and the two of you are knocked out. Just make sure our enemies don't down me while I am curing you."

She waves at Inga hovers his hand over the longspear and nervousness over the shield he strapped.

"Just take them. They are too troublesome for me."

Elayne looks at the others, pointing to the longspear and shield.

"Any objections to Inga's claims?"

u-b
2021-03-21, 01:28 AM
Not waiting for the loot to be divided, Gashur goes to the southern bedroom where he examines the suspicious panel for any possible traps and, if there are none, tries to get it open.

Perception take 20 => 30
Disable device take 10 => 20

Phantom Genius
2021-03-21, 04:11 AM
No worries. We can keep it all right here. Is everything claimed that people want? I assume the answer to my question about longspear and shield strapped to the arm is a big "No." :smallsmile:

That was actually a question for the DM...if the shield is strapped to her arm, it still won't allow it to be used with a 2-h weapon, right?

Dimers
2021-03-21, 11:51 AM
Elayne looks at the others, pointing to the longspear and shield.

"Any objections to Inga's claims?"

"Not at all. Thanks for identifying those potions and scrolls, m'comrades ... I don't think there's anything there that I want aside from cold, hard cash. Ancient foreign-stamped gold will ring just as true on a merchant's counter as modern Averheim gold does, after all."

purepolarpanzer
2021-03-21, 04:05 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Gashur easily finds the same panel on the wall of the southern bedroom. He senses no traps. Inside he finds a suspiciously similar architecture the the other secret room they discovered- a zig zag room tucked between thin walls. Also similarly, there are two chests at one end of the tunnel and two chests at the other end of it, each of them surrounded my meager collections of personal trinkets. The rooms are virtually identical, excepting the variety of drawings, keepsakes, and oddities resting around the chest. It seems the dwarves of this prison used to be sentimental, at least in private.

You can't have a shield equipped and wield a longspear. It is not the most realistic rule, but it is within the pathfinder rules set. Sorry for the late response, and sorry for a lack of responsiveness to everybody. It's been a difficult time for a while now.

Map update incoming.

Phantom Genius
2021-03-22, 06:14 AM
No worries on the ruling. I'll stick with my longsword.

"Sivi, you'll be checking these, I suppose?"

u-b
2021-03-24, 11:45 AM
"I can check them myself, no problem with that. I can even open them too."

Having said that, Gashur proceeds to examine and, if that turns out negative, open the chests.

Perception take 20 => 28 (both on the chests and the stuff around them)
Disable device take 10 => 20 (failing that, take 20 => 30)

Can we access S1 from here? What is the door and what we need to operate it?

purepolarpanzer
2021-03-24, 09:03 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Gashur realizes something is wrong as his picks fail to enter the lock of the first chest. They seem to be pressing against flesh, not empty space in a metal keyhole. And that is all the time the mimic needs to open it's toothy maw, but just as it is about to bring it's terrible jaws down on Gashur he attempts to give the picks one more firm shove, which causes the mimic to yelp in pain and snap it's mouth closed on the picks instead of Gashur's hands. It gives a pained shriek of rage and spits the delicate instruments back into Gashur's face before letting out a roar and preparing for a second bite. Meanwhile, a moist sound comes from the other end of the small hidden room, and another chest with a long, slobbering tongue moves into Gashur's view from the pair on the other side.

Isn't it just natural that the mimic rolled a nat 1 on it's surprise attack? Initiative is as follows (And again, we're using group initiative, so if you go before the monster you can go in any order, and after the monster has gone you can go in any order)-

Alexos- 22
Elayne- 12
Mimics- 11
Gashur- 9
Sivi- 5
Inga-2

Because Gashur kind of went off by himself a bit, I'm going to say that it takes 1 move action to get to the zig zag room he is in if anyone moves to support him.

Yas392
2021-03-27, 07:31 PM
Elayne head perks up as a shriek echoes through the corridor.

"Oh, Gashur. What have you gotten yourself into now?"

Rushing into the room, an animated chest greets her, baring fang, stuck-out tongue drooling in droplets into the floor. Eyes widening but narrowing after, she gazes at the enemy.

Move Action: from AJ52 (starting position) to AJ54 as position on the map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1El5K91FhL6U1fAKZbk_WJy1HZkbFxWVi2oy4a_OFBiU/edit#gid=25214060)

Swift Action: Hypnotic stare at the mimic on AN54; -2 to Will Saves.

Standard Action: Ready an action to use Psychic Barrage on it the moment it steps into range (15 ft from her; DC 15 Will Save or dazed for 1 round)

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) to get information on the animated chest: [roll0]

Eonn
2021-03-27, 07:44 PM
Alexos runs in after, recoiling back when he turns the corner to see a toothy maw set inside a very angry chest. He flinches back, reactively casting a simple spell.

Casting Acid Splash [roll0] vs Touch AC
[roll1] Acid damage

purepolarpanzer
2021-03-27, 08:59 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

When the treasure chest within Elayne's sight charges forward, it's teeth grow and the corners of the box warp and move like legs. However, it finds itself undefended against Elayne's psychic assault. It stops in place after moving only five feet, seemingly pacified, even after Alexos' acid sprays across it. The mimic menacing Gashur, however, is out of sight of his allies, and slightly quicker than the half-orc this day. It lashes out again and manages to clamp his teeth down on one of Gashur's arms, then clamps it's lid down on the limb and splashes it with an adhesive that glues the green skin to the monster. The deadly chest then yanks Gashur off balance while squeezing his arm even harder.

Alexos' acid deals 3 damage to mimic 2, which is in view from the bedroom. It charges forward and fails a save against Elayne's ability, stopping in place and becoming dazed. Mimic 1, adjacent to Gashur, crits with it's slam attack dealing 14 damage to Gashur and establishing a grapple. This grapple can only be escaped if the adhesive is dissolved or the mimic dies. Gashur's 20 on Dungeoneering tells him that it can be dissolved with strong alcohol or a magic item known as universal solvent. As I am a benevolent DM I will say that there were a couple of bottles of dwarvish spirits in the personal belongings of the guards. On a random roll Elayne and Sivi both have a bottle on hand.

Yas392
2021-03-27, 09:39 PM
Elayne turns to Sivi and touches her shoulder.

"I guess that Gashur has been attacked by a mimic which I do not know much about their capabilities other than it ambushes unsuspecting searchers. He might be in trouble. I will leave it to you check him in my stead and get him out of the sticky situation he landed himself in."

As her whisper fades, magic seeps into the rogue's form and renders her invisible.

"Hey, Gashur. Everything alright over there?"

Her voice that is higher than her usual volume echoes throughout the room. After he answers for everyone to hear, the samsaran will move out of the room.

Standard Action: Cast Vanish (invisibility; lasting 3 rounds) on Sivi.

Free Action: Talk to Gashur.

Move Action: Move to AJ50 unless it is occupied by someone. In that case, she will move to another square.

u-b
2021-03-28, 03:34 AM
"I'm glued. Will need some whiskey to break free. Or something. Also, can Inga channel some healies?"

Gashur is delaying a bit.

Phantom Genius
2021-03-28, 04:07 AM
Inga moves and fires at the mimic she sees. (Next round she will heal Gashur, yes.)

[roll]1d8+

u-b
2021-03-28, 11:08 AM
"These would be my last words, in a sense. Wish me luck and bring in alcohol!"

And then you hear Gashur giving a mimic some good thrashing.

I think I won't go for a tough grapple check that is then followed by AoO. Instead...

Swift: ranger’s focus on the northern mimic
Free: start raging
Full: power attack

Claw: [roll0] for [roll1]
Claw: [roll2] for [roll3]
Bite: [roll4] for [roll5]

Dimers
2021-03-29, 12:14 AM
Clinging invisibly to the wall above the melee, Sivi opens a bottle of ancient dwarven spirits and whispers "Water of life!" She splashes the contents liberally around, trying to hit all the points of contact between chest-beast and man-beast.

Eonn
2021-03-31, 04:52 PM
Taking a moment to steel himself, Alexos moves into the fray. He dashes right up behind Gashur and gives him a tap on the back to imbue him with a spell, causing the raging half-orc's muscles to ripple and grow even stronger than before.

Casting Bull's Strength on Gashur

purepolarpanzer
2021-04-01, 07:54 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Sivi disappears as Elayne's words carry. Inga's shot goes wide and bounces off the wall next to the mimic. When Sivi pours the dwarven spirits, it is as though they were raining down from the empty air. Gashur feels the adhesive dissolve, leaving him only trapped by the formidable strength of the mimic. Unfortunately, the mimic, savaged and bleeding a mysterious translucent fluid, attempts to leverage it's bite to bring Gashur to the ground. It almost succeeds, but the steadfast warrior surges with strength and keeps his balance. Then, with a touch from Alexos, Gashur's muscles swell even more, putting him on equal footing with the would be furniture assassin. While Gashur grapples, the remaining mimic, now unfazed, rushes forward, meaning to attack the half-orc from behind. Instead, it bumps into the invisible Sivi, but succeeds in neither sticking the undine with adhesive or bowling her over. Instead it retreats back a few steps, clearly confused by the invisible impediment.

Gashur deals massive damage to the mimic grappling him. Sivi dissolves the adhesive with strong alcohol, then avoids getting blindly grappled by the second mimic. Alexos buffs Gashur. Inga misses, and Elayne's spell goes off without a hitch. Gashur's mimic attempts to pin him but fails.

u-b
2021-04-01, 10:03 PM
"Stand your ground and do not attack, oh my unseen benefactor!"

Gashur keeps fighting, hoping to get done with the first mimic and do some harm to the second.

The attacks are against the first mimic until it is down, then at the second mimic. The maths differ, so I'm rolling one for the first mimic and two for the second, but they all go against the first mimic until it's down.

Claw: [roll0] for [roll1]
Claw: [roll2] for [roll3]
Bite: [roll4] for [roll5]

The cover is not accounted for, but will affect mimic's AC.

Phantom Genius
2021-04-01, 11:36 PM
The idea of someone biting a mimic cracks me up.

Yas392
2021-04-02, 08:41 PM
Elayne looks at the room and raises an eyebrow at the absence of her group that is not with her as she sees them still in the room.

"Alexos, Inga. When you are done using the bed, can you step off? I want to use it as elevation."

Withholding action at the moment and using free action to talk.

purepolarpanzer
2021-04-03, 11:40 AM
The Prison- Basement 1

The mimic, unable to contain Gashur's fury without it's adhesive, falls under his savage assault. Chunks of the shapeshifter splatter the walls and fill Gashur's mouth. In his fury, he turns and claws the mimic boggled by Sivi as well, eliciting a pig like squeal from the surviving mimic.

Eonn
2021-04-03, 09:39 PM
"Yes, one moment." Alexos says as he casts one more spell with a wild grin before retreating back into the safety of the hall he had first came from. His heart was racing, this was the first time he'd casted offensive against actual combatants.

Casting Acid Splash again before stepping back out of the room
[roll0] vs touch ac
[roll1] acid damage

Yas392
2021-04-03, 11:59 PM
As soon as she sees Alexos out of the room, Elayne moves, giving him a sideway glance as she passes him.

"You do not need to step out of the room. I am thinking if we can alternate our places and attacks."

She reaches where Alexos once stand and with higher elevation, she stares at the mimic, drops her spirits on the bed and shoots at the mimic.

Move action: Move to AK54 which is vacant from Alexos retreat.

Swift Action: Hypnotic Stare; -2 to Mimic's Will Saving Throws.

Standard Action: Shoots a bolt at mimic.

Crossbow Attack vs Mimic: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Free Action: Talk and drop spirits on bed adjacent to Sivi.

Phantom Genius
2021-04-04, 03:08 AM
Inga casts CLW and then moves to try and touch Gashur's shoulder. "Stay in the fight, big man!"

[roll0]

Dimers
2021-04-05, 04:31 AM
Sivi flows up the wall and overtop the mimic. She searches for a nice, delicate spot to drive home her dagger.

Not tumbling to avoid AoOs, since I'm still invisible. Moving to flanking position with Gashur (from AL54 to AN55 on the googledoc), then stabstabstabbing. [roll0] to hit flatfooted AC for [roll1] + [roll2] slashing. Reflex save vs stuck weapon: [roll]d20+7[roll].

Naturally, my invisiblity drops after the attack. I'm now in a tough position for allies to reach, but I'm hoping to make enough of a difference via damage that I won't need much help personally. Poor choice? Perhaps, but Sivi doesn't know enough about mimics to judge that.

purepolarpanzer
2021-04-05, 11:53 AM
The Prison- Basement 1

Alexos' spell, Elayne's bolt, and Sivi's blade all further damage the mimic, which howls and slobbers in pain from the multitude of blows. It leaps at Sivi and leaps up with surprising agility, clamping down on the undine with malicious intent and clamping down on her weapon arm with such fierceness that blood begins to immediately flow down Sivi's arm in a warm rush.

Sivi is crit for 18 damage and becomes grappled by the adhesive. That is all. Feel free to destroy the monster now :smallbiggrin:

u-b
2021-04-05, 12:01 PM
Gashur steps out from around the corner and tries to get the mimic down before it further hurts anyone.

Claw: [roll0] for [roll1] ref [roll2]
Claw: [roll3] for [roll4] ref [roll5]
Bite: [roll6] for [roll7] ref [roll8]

Yas392
2021-04-05, 09:05 PM
As Gashur unloads himself at the mimic who gave Sivi a grievous wound and endure them, Elayne takes the opportunity to trigger the "good luck" charm she bestow on him, directing its attention to him and boosting the barbarian's agility to dodge blows. She reloads he crossbow and shoots another bolt at the creature before stepping aside to the corner, still staring at the mimic.

Free Action in response to Gashur's missed attack: Trigger implanted Meek Facade trick on Gashur, giving him +2 dodge bonus to AC and taunting the mimic to attack him for 1 turn.

Move action: Reload crossbow.

Standard Action: Shoot mimic.

5 ft step to AK53.

Swift action: Maintain hypnotic stare on mimic; -2 to will saves.

Crossbow Attack vs Mimic: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Phantom Genius
2021-04-06, 04:43 AM
"Sivi! No! That looked bad! Freya, guide my hand and save their mortal flesh!"

Channel Positive Energy, Selective Channel to leave out the mimics.
[roll0]

Eonn
2021-04-07, 09:30 PM
Alexos's heart leaps as he sees blood flow. He casts again, hoping to kill the creature before it can do any more harm.

Acid Splash [roll0] vs touch ac
[roll1] acid damage

Dimers
2021-04-08, 08:26 PM
Sivi babbles something indistinct and worried-sounding

A mashup of a gurgling gasp, "You can't have that! I need it!" in Aquan, and "Oh gods, I need help" in Common.

while doing her best to strike at the enraged furniture.

Losing some Dexterity to the grapple definitely hurts my offense, but here goes ... [roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage, Reflex [roll2] to avoid weapon stuckness.

purepolarpanzer
2021-04-08, 09:26 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

Gashur's renewed assault heavily damages the mimic, sending a fresh splash of ichor across the walls. But the monster still lives. It isn't until Sivi turns her blade in the creature's maw and jams it downward that the creature begins it's death throes. Alexos' acid, weak as it is, is what finally slays the lethal furniture. The "chest" seems to lose cohesion and begin to slowly melt. Though there is no more life in this aberration, Sivi is still held captive by it's sticky fluids, and now her dagger is lodged deep inside it.

480 xp apiece. Good fight all.

Yas392
2021-04-09, 12:28 AM
Elayne breathes in relieve as the mimic melts down into a puddle.

"I need a drink."

She uncorked the spirits and slants the bottle a bit, taking a bit of the alcohol with a sip.

"Gashur, next time can you inform the rest of us not with you your whereabouts and intention before you run off somewhere? My "good luck" charm does not work if I am not in proximity of you. Keep that in mind. Now, Sivi, do you need help getting your weapon and yourself unstuck? Or are you fine without?"

Phantom Genius
2021-04-09, 12:34 AM
Elayne breathes in relieve as the mimic melts down into a puddle.

"I need a drink."

"Ha! Spirits for the spirited! She makes a good point, though..."

u-b
2021-04-09, 09:48 AM
"Well, I told you. I mean, exactly before." Gashur shrugs. He then takes some time to reast and breathe. "I think the mimic glue is not lasting, so you should be able to get yourself free sometime soon. Better than me prying you out." While he rests, Gashur takes some time to spit out the glue and, when it turns brittle, remove it from his hands and things. "How about we loot the real chests and then call it a day?"

Yas392
2021-04-10, 05:40 AM
Elayne corks the bottle and puts it away along with their loot. Gashur's comment of glue becoming brittle after the mimic's death causes her jot down the information of the mimic in her journal she takes out on top of updating their progress with her prestidigitation. Closing the book and stowing it away, the robed female walks to the stuck female undine and extend her hand to pull her up. She also offers Sivi to help her pull out her weapon from the degrading glue.

"Interesting..."

Once those unstuck rejoin the rest of the group, Elayne shrugs.

"Sounds good to me. It is a good checkpoint. We do not want to greed and suffer the same fate as those dwell too long in these depths. I also want to go back so I can get some vials anyways. Before we check the last chest and go back, I have a question for all of you. What boons do you like the most? The ability to attract an enemy's attention to you or step out of an enemy's reach."

Dimers
2021-04-11, 01:50 AM
Sivi gratefully accepts the help getting herself and her favorite weapon free, breathing hard and gulping with pain and adrenaline. "Wow, this was nothing like the times when I was a kid and I used to hide in chests. I pretended to be a mimic one time, just dumb fun. Actually encountering one is scary as the hells. Don't want to be inside chests any more."

"Before we check the last chest and go back, I have a question for all of you. What boons do you like the most? The ability to attract an enemy's attention to you or step out of an enemy's reach."

"Of the two, definitely backing out of reach. I get enough attention as soon as I get a good slash in, as we've just seen. Thanks so much for the healing, Inga. I thought I might be a goner."

u-b
2021-04-11, 02:17 AM
Gashur picks his picks and proceeds to open the real chests. He thinks about Elayne's question. "I'll probably attract enough attention just by hitting them hard. I also have some ability to safely move around... I think a good boost to it might make it reliable enough to be more practical."

Doing the real chests:
Perception take 20 => 28 (both on the chests and the stuff around them)
Disable device take 10 => 20 (failing that, take 20 => 30)

purepolarpanzer
2021-04-11, 10:09 AM
The Prison- Basement 1

Gashur spends the next few minutes looking at the remaining two chests, searching for traps. Finding none, he uses his lock picks to open the rusty locks, which takes much less time. While he is working, Sivi notices the glint to treasure in the mimic's maw as it continues to slowly melt into goo.

Treasure time!

Mimic 1

Coins
0 pp, 140 gp, 130 sp, 0 cp
Armor
[300 gp] masterwork chainmail
Gems
[55 gp] zircon
[50 gp] green spinel
[90 gp] jade
[600 gp] unworked black pearl (worth 300 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 20 to repair)

Mimic 2

Coins
3 pp, 205 gp, 947 sp, 961 cp
Gems
[8 gp] shell
[11 gp] malachite
[10 gp] unworked irregular freshwater pearl (worth 5 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[7 gp] rhodochrosite
[8 gp] unworked malachite (worth 4 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[8 gp] hematite
[8 gp] unworked shell (worth 4 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[8 gp] unworked irregular freshwater pearl (worth 4 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[10 gp] unworked rhodochrosite (worth 5 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[13 gp] agate
[40 gp] sardonyx
[80 gp] unworked garnet (worth 40 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 15 to repair)
[12 gp] malachite
Potions
[50 gp] potion/oil of shield of faith (CL 1)
[300 gp] potion/oil of acute senses (CL 3)
[50 gp] potion/oil of mage armor (CL 1)
[50 gp] potion/oil of magic weapon (CL 1)
Scrolls
[25 gp] arcane scroll of sleep (CL 1)
[25 gp] divine scroll of sanctuary (CL 1)
[25 gp] arcane scroll of true strike (CL 1)

Chest 1

Coins
5 pp, 136 gp, 564 sp, 220 cp
Gems
[8 gp] unworked rock crystal quartz (worth 4 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
Potions
[25 gp] potion/oil of arcane mark (CL 1)
[25 gp] potion/oil of stabilize (CL 1)
Weapons
[305 gp] masterwork cestus

Chest 2

Coins
0 pp, 80 gp, 522 sp, 1,140 cp
Gems
[50 gp] rose quartz
[80 gp] unworked chrysoberyl (worth 40 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 15 to repair)
[55 gp] onyx
[13 gp] agate
[8 gp] azurite
[40 gp] chrysoprase
[12 gp] unworked azurite (worth 6 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[10 gp] unworked rhodochrosite (worth 5 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
[9 gp] unworked hematite (worth 4 gp; Craft (jewelry) DC 10 to repair)
Potions
[50 gp] potion/oil of magic weapon (CL 1)
[50 gp] potion/oil of remove fear (CL 1)
[50 gp] potion/oil of reduce person (CL 1)
[25 gp] potion/oil of guidance (CL 1)
Scrolls
[25 gp] divine scroll of endure elements (CL 1)
[150 gp] divine scroll of flaming sphere (CL 3)
[375 gp] divine scroll of magic fang, greater (CL 5)
[25 gp] divine scroll of sun metal (CL 1)
[25 gp] divine scroll of protection from good (CL 1)

And 29 GP of random junk the archaeologists might like.

u-b
2021-04-12, 12:58 PM
Gashur takes care to load most of the things into one chest. He places the gems, scrolls and potions safely on top of everything else. He then pushes the chest along the floor towards the exit of the dungeon, making some noise appropriate for the feat. Some oversized items, mainly long weapons, including Gashur's own hammer, have to be carried by somebody else, but these are not too heavy, so should not be problematic.

Yas392
2021-04-14, 10:42 AM
Elayne nods at Gashur and Sivi's feedback. She then looks at the abundant loot the party gathered.

"We are going up. Let us get rid of the loot that we do not want before we continue. They will give us difficulties if we dwell deeper into the prison with our current load."

The robed samsaran picks up what she can carry to share the load with her members.

purepolarpanzer
2021-04-18, 07:50 PM
The Prison- Basement 1

With the party hauling their loot, you assemble in the entrance chamber and take the lift up to the surface, far wealthier than you first arrived.

The Prison- Entrance Chamber

The archaeologists look on in surprise as your group manifests on the teleporter pad, amazed at the haul you've managed to bring up. Bartimeus is the first to approach, noticing the trove of interesting artifacts you've found. "Anything of interest to our expedition in this haul, or is all this filthy lucre for the gnome?"

u-b
2021-04-19, 11:13 AM
"Have some random jun... hm, ancient artifacts, shall we say, take a look and dig them if they are fitting." Says Gashr pointing the exact corner of the chest where said artifacts are located. He does not bother to retrieve them himself. "Also, the west side of the map, including the home of a really mean monster ooze."

Phantom Genius
2021-04-21, 04:23 AM
Inga closely watches Bart's reaction. This whole expedition seems odd to her.

[roll0]

Yas392
2021-04-22, 10:24 PM
Elayne raises her hand.

"I may not have nothing to add on what my companion mentioned. I do have a question which once answered may make me add something. Do monsters we killed in the prison regenerate if we return underground again?"

Dimers
2021-04-24, 12:40 PM
Bartimeus is the first to approach, noticing the trove of interesting artifacts you've found. "Anything of interest to our expedition in this haul, or is all this filthy lucre for the gnome?"

"Plenty of little hints about the lives of those who used to be below, and not just the artifacts Gashur mentioned," Sivi says with some excitement in her voice. "I'd be happy to spend some time discussing how the pieces were laid out as well as the bones we discovered, the sliding doors, the room layout and anything else of archaeological significance." The young undine seems more in her element here than she did creeping through the wealth-laden rooms themselves.

Elayne raises her hand.

"I may not have nothing to add on what my companion mentioned. I do have a question which once answered may make me add something. Do monsters we killed in the prison regenerate if we return underground again?"

Sivi slowly shakes her head at the suggestion. "I certainly hope not. Warriors might relish the experience of beating on an endless stream of monsters, but I'm loath to meet those things again. I didn't even want to meet them the first time!"

Sivi wants to stay and talk shop with the archaeologists for a while.

purepolarpanzer
2021-04-25, 04:08 PM

Bartimeus' eyes go wide with excitement and anticipation at Gashur and Sivi's mention of artifacts, and the archaeologist's eyes turn to the large chest with shades of greed. At Elayne's question, however, he adjusts his spectacles and drags his attention away from his prizes. "No no no. None of the other teams of adventurers who made multiple trips spoke of monsters returning. More coming up from down below yes, but no spawning mechanisms to speak of. I wouldn't expect the same resistance twice." Bartimeus eagerly waves the party over to his makeshift desk to copy their maps into his own records. To Sivi, he says "I'd be eager for any conversations you would be willing to have with me about your findings, miss. As one cursed to stay out of the complex itself, I'm famished for first hand accounts of the lower levels, especially after this first team of archaeologists disappeared down there. If you have an eye for anthropological and architectural significants, more the better. I promise to hold you back no longer than you are willing, but I make no promises as to how long that will be. I make a mean cup of tea, and I've got the only almond cookies that this entire plane holds." He smiles warmly to the undine and gestures towards the folding chair opposite of him. "All of you are invited, but I daresay I think most of you will be more interested in offloading your haul at Querk's place of business and reveling in your spoils."

Inga detects no signs of deception or ulterior motive with Bartimeus. He seems genuinely eager to pay you for your junk relics and engage academically with Sivi, and you sense nothing amiss about the archaeological team as a whole. Is there a specific suspicion that you have questions about?

Yas392
2021-04-26, 08:08 PM
Elayne's shoulder relaxes.

"That is a relief. I have good news. You should inform present and future expedition teams of this. We cleared out the first two rooms beyond the western entrance. If they are going for another run in the prison, they can use them as resting areas as long as no new creatures repopulate the rooms by then. I advise short rests. To paraphrase my orcish friend, there is a dangerous ooze lurking near the area. Although we drove it off, tell them to keep an eye out for it. It may reappear from a hole of a magical garbage chute in the area further down the corridor beyond the two rooms. Right here."

Her index finger hovers to the room with the hole on the map of her journal she opened for the tiefling to copy.

"As for tea, I will pass. If you have booze, that is a different story. "

The samsaran plants her toes on the ground and pushes her feet upwards to raise herself to a new temporary height to look past Bartimeus.

"I saw your eyes hovering over our finds. Are you interested in buying them? We know we can sell them to Querk or that dwarf who spoke to Gashur before our first run. Speaking of the dwarf, is he one of your people or is he independent?"

u-b
2021-04-28, 09:55 AM
Gashur lets Bartimeus and Fworin take their picks from the chest and put the appropriate amount of coins back in. He does not bother counting. He then drags the chest towards the steps. Navigating the steps without taking too much time or being too rough to the chest's contents requires some magical help, but fortunately Alexos has it available. Gashur then drags the chest to The Hard Place. "Quick enough, aren't we? And with a chest full of loot." Gashur drags the chest aside where it would not interfere with anyone's activities, then walks to the bar. "I need alcohol. Old dwarven whisky will do. Saved my life down there, no less, so thought I'd give it a more traditional use. Also a use of washing my mouth. You know, make it double." Gashur then rinses his mouth in the alcohol provided, drinks all of it, and orders some more. Single, with ice.

We have one lot of "dwarven trinkets" and one lot of "random junk the archaeologists might like", so both should be to some extent satisfied. By the way, do they buy this stuff at half price or at full price? Also Fworin might buy other stuff, if he's so inclined (mwk battleaxe and such).

Still waiting on Sivi's IC suggestion about gemcutting.

purepolarpanzer
2021-04-29, 08:14 PM

Bartimeus is extremely interested in Elayne's descriptions of the cleared rooms, noting everything down in his notes and copying the party's maps feverishly. When Elayne mentions Fworin, his mood sours slightly. "Fworin is here representing the authority and interests of the Twelve Peaks- the twelve dwarvish kings back from our home plane. Our archaeological coalition is more diverse, representing the interests of a number of universities. We share interest in the same relics, and both of us have the coin to woo them from you. I will leave it up to your conscience whether you wish the knowledge of this place to be monopolized by a single species or freely distributed to any who would wish to learn." By the lilt of his voice, it is very clear which of those options he would prefer you choose.

The Hard Place

Gashur enters the one bar on Vouno to find it mostly empty. The card players from earlier seem to have all gone to their "rooms" (sectioned off area of the tent would be more appropriate), leaving a scattering of cups, cards, and appetizers behind that Querk has not got around to cleaning up yet. The half-transmogrified gnome is sitting behind the bar, and he smiles with his sharp teeth and wide eyes when Gashur hauls the chest into the tent. Across from him sits the beautiful woman in red, though her features have shifted somewhat. Where before she was somewhere between human and elven, now she is apparently a dwarf, though her beauty, short hair, and large bust remain the same. She is seated next to Fworin, and the two of them halt their conversation to look upon the party's haul. Both Fworin Adamantbeard and Querk have looks of greed upon their face, while the woman in red silk has a coy smile. Querk greets Gashur with "Glad you came out alive, and even gladder that you're thirsty! Dwarvish whiskey coming right up!" He snags a bottle off the top shelf behind the bar, a crystal affair with a stone stopper, and pours Gashur his double. Meanwhile, Fworin gets off his stool and approaches the chest. "May I?" He asks. "Maybe after me!" Snaps Querk, and the two exchange heated glances. It seems the parties interested in your loot may not be willing to split things up evenly. Meanwhile, the she-dwarf in red rolls her eyes, tips back her small martini glass, and then climbs down off her stool. She shoots Gashur a lengthy glance, seems to size him up and down, and her smile grows before she turns and heads into the back where the rooms are located.

Here's how the selling of loot will go- any "junk" the archaeologists will pay full price for. Anything else will be bid on by Fworin, Querk, or Bartimeus. I had originally thought I was going to do a complicated system of bidding, but I'm going to streamline it somewhat. Fworin buys relics, arms, and armor at base 50%, which you can raise or lower with a diplomacy check. Querk buys adventuring gear and gems at base 50%, also modifiable with a diplomacy check. If there are unworked gems he will always pay the lower value. Bartimeus will buy art, relics, and oddities at base 50% (diplomacy roll modifies it again). So if someone wants to roll a diplomacy to deal with each party, you may get better (or worse) rates. A 15 raises the buying value by 5%, and each integer of 5 (20, 25) raises by another 5%. If anyone has any questions you can ask them in the Discord.

Yas392
2021-05-02, 04:20 AM
"The decision is up to the group. Not me. Once we decided, we may come to you for business if we are interested in selling those wares to you."

Elayne turns to Sivi.

"I will leave you two to your awaited discussion. I am heading back for a drink. Me being here will delay your talk with Bartimeus. See you later."

She turns to the tiefling.

"You as well."

The samsaran returns to Querk's bar, fitted with a coin between two fingers on her right hand, to see the dwarf and gnome owner indulging themselves in a staring standoff.

"Am I...interrupting something?"

u-b
2021-05-02, 05:53 AM
"We need someone with soft skills to arrange the sales. They are sort of contested. Not my cup of tea..." says Gashur still holding a glass of whisky "...so maybe you will step in?"

Eonn
2021-05-03, 01:48 AM
"I'm sorry to say I'm not the best negotiator either." Alexos adds in, having followed Gashur into The Hard Place. He turns to greet Elayne as she enters. "Ah, hello. We were just seeing about getting out haul sold off. How are you with striking up a deal?"

As he speaks, he eyes Gashur's glass. He could really use something to drink himself after the delve. Such an expedition was much more difficult in person than he had thought from reading about other historical digs. Unfortunately, Querk seemed preoccupied at the moment. It might be better to ask once they had gold in hand regardless.

Yas392
2021-05-03, 06:47 AM
Elayne smiles and waves at the two. She walks towards the staring contest between the two, heels clacking against the wooden floor and keeps a respectable distance.

"Our dear buyers. Why not settle the issue with a drinking contest to see who can drink the most mugs? Winner gets to conduct business with us first. If the drinking challenge seems unfair to one of you, each of you can state your reasons that we don't already know to convince us the benefits of selling our loot to you. Winner gets the same privilege as what I proposed for the drinking contest except we choose the winner rather than leaving it to the outcome itself."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

purepolarpanzer
2021-05-03, 06:16 PM
The Hard Place

Querk and Fworin's eyes go to Elayne through the entirety of her speech. Then, a bit stunned and surprised, they look at each other. Fworin grins and immediately says "Aye. That'll do. I'll drink." Querk looks baffled for half a second before nodding slowly. "If the customer insists, I'll drink too. Loser picks up the tab, of course. Last man standing, I assume?" He unclips two small mugs from seemingly thin air and spins them by their handles. "My bar, my beer, my choice what we both drink. Unless our dwarvish friend objects to my taste?" Fworin empties the drink he had waiting on the bar and grins. "I'll drink twice as much of anything that you choose, bar hand."

Querk smiles politely and picks up the mugs, replacing them into empty space above the bar. Instead, he manifests two shot glasses, setting them down with flourish. Reaching underneath the bar, he extracts a crystal bottle of brown liquor. "Whiskey it is then." And pours two shots. Very carefully. "Does anyone else want a sample? Fworin will be paying for it anyway. I'm afraid it's only one drink each, though. We'll need plenty of Old Brown for myself and our cultural friend."

At the Archaeologist's Camp

Bartimeus takes keen interest in any observations Sivi has made down below, offering her tea from a small pot he has rigged up over a brazier and producing four of his precious almond cookies for the two of them to share.

Check in post. Everyone either accept or deny their drink, please.

Yas392
2021-05-03, 07:01 PM
Elayne's smile widens at the offer of free alcohol.

"You know me well. I am always down for a shot."

She winks at Querk before turning to the Alexos and Gashur.

"Well, I got us a free drink. That is a plus in my books."

The samsaran eyes Gashur's glass which is still filled with whisky.

"You get yours after you finish that. So..."

Elayne makes a thumbs up not directed to the half-orc. She lifts her the hand with the thumbs up to just before her mouth and down in repetition as if telling him to hurry up with his whisky.

u-b
2021-05-04, 01:19 AM
Gashur finishes his glass and gets one of Old Brown. He does not proceed to drink it right away, instead taking a seat at the end of the bar and preparing to watch. "I'm sure this will be very... entertaining. And maybe educative to boot."

Yas392
2021-05-04, 01:26 AM
Elayne joins Gashur, seated beside him with a glass of Old Brown of her own.

"Truly."

Phantom Genius
2021-05-04, 05:26 PM
Inga accepts tea and crumpets cookies with Bartimeus. She still thinks this place has something odd and insidious about it, but isn't getting a read from him. Maybe he will open up a little bit to a priestess.

Dimers
2021-05-06, 06:28 AM
Sivi enjoys the hot tea and cookies greatly, but quickly, in between bites of discussion. She describes every relevant detail of the various objects set aside for the archaeologist team. Some snippets of her side of the conversation:

"These were on the second altar. Now, whether to consider them decorations or sacrifices can be ..."
"No, in the chests -- they looked carefully placed, unlike ..."
"I understand, I really do. The constant struggle between preservation and access ..."
"When taken as a whole, the arrangement implies ..."

The undine certainly seems to be in her element here, as much as if she were soaking in a stream.

Eonn
2021-05-07, 03:30 PM
Alexos sits back, watching the buyers drink. He idly wonders how Elayne was able to bait them into such a contest, as he figured that when doing business such as this one would want to be as sober as possible. Perhaps they all just trusted their constitutions to such a degree that the alcohol didn't matter, or maybe they just didn't care about getting taking advantage of while inebriated. Of course, they could just be fool with more coin than sense. Regardless, Alexos stayed quiet and let the scene play out before him.

Phantom Genius
2021-05-08, 06:08 PM
Sivi enjoys the hot tea and cookies greatly, but quickly, in between bites of discussion. She describes every relevant detail of the various objects set aside for the archaeologist team.

Inga nods along, supporting everything Sivi says.

purepolarpanzer
2021-05-08, 08:50 PM
The Hard Place

As Gashur and Elayne step to the side, Querk and Fworin narrow their eyes at each other, lift their drinks to their mouths, give each other one last glare, and then tip back their drinks. Querk reacts the fastest, letting out a gasp and quickly pouring himself a glass of water to chase the liquor. Fworin, at first, seems to be nonplussed by the brown liquor. He remains sitting, eyes rolling slowly to look at his empty glass. Then the glass rolls loose of his hand and shatters on the floor. The well dressed dwarf blinks once. Twice. And then slowly turns back to Querk and utters "Another." Querk looks stunned, but quickly recovers and pours each of them another drink in a fresh glass. They both tip back, but before Fworin finishes his arm goes limp, spilling the last third across his shirt. Querk chases quickly with water again, and by the time his water is poured Fworin has leaned to one side in the barstool, reaching out for support. When he finds none, he keeps on leaning and falls out of his chair, crashing to the floor below. Querk, without missing a beat, removes a funnel from under the bar and inserts it into the remaining bottle of Old Brown. He seems completely sober. "Anyone want to chicken out they can pour the drink right back in. This stuff isn't cheap, and I don't want anyone throwing it back up." Fworin groans, rolls onto his back, and stares unblinking up at the top of the tent.

Bartimeus is constantly asking questions. It seems this is the first time he has dealt with an adventurer with a mind for archaeology. His questions are on point and deeply inquisitive, forcing Sivi to stop and think a few times throughout the conversation. Bartimeus, however, needs no time to collect his thoughts. It almost appears that he is thinking of new questions even as he's asking them. If Sivi allows, the conversation goes on for well over an hour, meandering from architecture to art to cultural practices of ancient dwarves back on Mund. The tea pot is always kept hot, the cookies come in a slow but steady flow, and in the end Sivi is left with several requests for etchings or drawings, a handful of probable theories she hadn't thought of, and full attention of the tiefling for the entire duration. When Bartimeus is finally satisfied, he releases a pleased sigh, such as one might breathe after a large, luxurious meal. "Sivi, Inga, you cannot fully realize the benefit you've given me, our expedition, and the very foundation of knowledge back home." Though he thanks both of them, his eyes keep drifting back to Sivi. "Once things are safe enough for us to move down to the first basement level, I cannot WAIT to see it all first hand. And I trust you'll both share future insights about anything you may find on a deeper level?"

u-b
2021-05-09, 05:32 AM
Gashur places his glass on the bar, carefully. "I'll drink this when we're done with the busyness. And no, I'm not asking how you manage that." Gashur seems to be very impressed. "Go ahead and choose what you will be taking."

Yas392
2021-05-09, 10:13 AM
Elayne's glass is half-filled, a fact that she drank half of the Old Brown when she watched the one-sided spectacle. Querk's no-nonsense statement and Gashur's response to the gnome's "fortitude" at holding his liquor causes her to give Querk a thumbs up and wags a finger at Gashur.

"Experience, darling."

Elayne takes her half-filled glass in one hand, walks to the downed dwarf and bends down to inspect his state.

"Huh? He seems dazed for now. You won, Querk. Looks like you get the first look at our wares. Alexos, Gashur, back me on my negotiation if it comes off weak."

Making eye contact with the gnome entrepreneur, the samsaran backs away to the nearest table and seats down, putting down her glass.

"Now then, let us do business."

She gestures at the chest.

Elayne is asking for aid another checks from Gashur and Alexos to increase her check if it is pitiful.

Diplomacy to haggle vs Querk: [roll0]

Eonn
2021-05-09, 11:15 AM
Alexos tries to help, but he ends up loosing his train of thought while talking. After that blunder, he lets Elayne do the rest of the talking.

Yas392
2021-05-09, 12:40 PM
Elayne tries to resist the effects of the wine.

Fort save: [roll0]
Will save: [roll1]

purepolarpanzer
2021-05-10, 11:59 AM
The Hard Place

Elayne can tell immediately that Querk lied earlier- this is far stronger alcohol than the moonshine that she had earlier. It makes her sweat a bit, and immediately dries her mouth. But the worst side effect of the alcohol is a vague warmness in her stomach and a bit of dizziness. Nothing she has not experienced before.

However, the magic effects of Old Brown are even stronger. Elayne starts to FEEL the red earth under her feet. She can hear the stones. She can hear tectonic plates moving. But she quickly raises her minds defenses and halts the effect before things get too weird.

Querk immediately begins going through all the loot you've acquired, and mostly due to Elayne's shrewd negotiating, he offers you an above average price. He begins counting coins into stacks of ten, which may take a while due to the volume of lucre you're selling, even though Querk is VERY quick at counting.

Querk will leave the weapons for Fworin, and buy everything else at 60% of regular value.

Yas392
2021-05-11, 12:28 AM
Elayne puts a hand to her chest after the first negotiation, her breathing becoming irregular. She takes her waterskin and gulps down water follow up by fanning herself by flapping one hand near her face. She turns to her Alexos and Gashur, cheeks still flushing with red.

"Now this is what I call a drink! I am saving mine for another occasion. I advise you two to not drink it and give your share to me. That stuff is strong. What I meant by giving them to me is that I am going to dump all of the Old Brown we have into a container that I will be buying from our gnome to do as we will with it at our leisure. It is too useful to waste. I will explain why later once we have our sales sorted out. I will be buying the container now and waking sleeping beauty over there.”

The robed samsaran points to the motionless dwarf. She then goes to purchase an appropriate container that can contain the amount of free Old Brown offered and five vials from Querk. She then asks for some water from the gnome. She refills her waterskin while saving some in a separate glass she placed on a table next to the knocked out dwarf. She bends down to the dwarf, hoists his upper body up and kisses him straight in the kisser. If he is still out, she will shake him to wake him up. When Fworin shows any reaction, she points to him.

"We are done with Querk. Now it is your turn."

Diplomacy to haggle with Fworin: [roll0]

u-b
2021-05-11, 05:29 AM
"Now I am totally interested. Not on duty, so..." he gulps his drink in one go "...drag me somewhere warm and safe, if I won't do it myself."

Fort: [roll0]
Will: [roll1]
(but Gashur does not try to resist it; rather, he tries to experience it)

Dimers
2021-05-11, 08:22 AM
"'Course we will, Bartimaeus. Oh, gosh, it's been a pleasure talking with you, I got so engrossed I practically forgot about our co-adventurers. I'd better go check on them in The Hard Place." Sivi takes a last sip of warm tea and regathers her equipment to leave.

Eonn
2021-05-11, 08:29 AM
Alexos eyes the men who had collapsed drinking the Old Brown. "You know, Elayne, I think I'll have something... milder regardless. Do with my serving what you will." He then orders a more mundane whiskey, starting a tab.

purepolarpanzer
2021-05-11, 01:28 PM
The Hard Place

Querk, smiling at the tidy pile of items he has acquired, is happy to sell Elayne vials and bottles, something he has a great supply of, for six silver pieces. When Fworin staggers awake, he is holding either side of his head and groaning in either pain or a daze. He makes your deal for the weapons very quick, not bothering to negotiate in his own interests and giving Elayne a fine price. He produces a bag from his side and one by one carefully places the weapons in, defying physics entirely as the bag neither swells or grows heavier. With that done, he murmurs something about "holy stone" before retiring to his room in the back, still looking as though he is swimming through some kind of epic hangover. Querk readily enough opens a tab for Alexos and gets him a glass of whiskey that is all together safer.

Gashur, meanwhile, barely gets himself down in one of the chairs before his eyes flutter and the visions begin.

The alcohol is strong, strong enough for Gashur to feel an intense burn in his mouth, down his throat, and into his stomach, but that he's felt before when he's dared to drink hard spirits that were near pure alcohol. What he has NOT experienced is his mind falling through his body and sinking down into the earth as though in quicksand. He can feel the texture of the red sand and grit, each time he passes through a stone he gains of vision of it's origin, birthed from the heart of a great volcano, as though he is reading the memory of the stone. There is a hair raising moment when his perception passes through molten lava, telling him that the mountain they are on is sleeping, but not dead. He also sees flashes and snapshots of sections of the dungeon, all too fast to appreciate or investigate- a layer filled with magma, a grand arena filled with creatures cheering and egging on fighters, and a grim layer completely shrouded in darkness, with cells large enough for storm giants and some sort of music playing that sends chills through his soul. But he picks up speed as he descends further and further into the planet of Vouno until he finally comes to rest in it's molten heart. He can feel the whole planet. He IS the whole planet. And in this intense communing, he realizes he can ask a single question of the rock and stone that makes up the prison planet. The answer may be simple, as stones are wise, not intelligent, but it will be truthful. He only need speak it.

Bartimeus seems sad to see Inga and (to a greater degree) Sivi leave him behind. "Enjoy yourselves! You've certainly earned it! Perhaps I will stop by this evening to join the merriment!"

Phantom Genius
2021-05-12, 06:36 AM

Bartimeus seems sad to see Inga and (to a greater degree) Sivi leave him behind. "Enjoy yourselves! You've certainly earned it! Perhaps I will stop by this evening to join the merriment!"

"Please do. There's so much I want to learn about the history of this place..."
She bows and starts to head out, if Sivi is ready.

u-b
2021-05-12, 09:23 AM
Gashur sits mostly motionless, save for occasional movement of the eyebells, which does not seem to correlate with anything present in the Hard Place.

Gashur is impressed and surprised. He tries to think of a good enough question, simple and practical, but he's not the best of thinkers and he does not risk tpending too much time to think, so what he asks is this: "What is the most powerful being on this planet?"

purepolarpanzer
2021-05-12, 08:46 PM
Gashur's Vision

The stones respond, but with no particular sense of urgency or danger. Apparently whatever is the most dangerous being on the planet is not threat to the red rocks of Vouno itself. "Hidden Horseman, Death Incarnate, Eater of Life. Beware, flesh creature. Beware." The experience of becoming one with the element of earth deep below the surface of the planet doesn't stop, but the psychic communication of the planet seems to end. It is simultaneously rapturous and terrifying.

Gashur is going to be inebriated to some degree for the next hour or so, but can wake up and be 1/2 way back to reality, 1/2 way experiencing what it is like to be magma in the planet's core at any point. He also takes 2 Intelligence Damage, as the psychic blunt force is pretty powerful.