PDA

View Full Version : Perception vs Disguise?

SangoProduction
2020-12-01, 09:43 PM
So, what do you see what you beat someone's disguise check?
Especially what do you see if you somehow beat someone's disguise check while shapeshifted?

And what if someone disguises their self to look like they are in a Halloween costume of an orc, rather than an actual orc? (And you beat their disguise check, obviously)

Yael
2020-12-01, 10:51 PM
Disguise is not limited to appereance, your mannerism and actions, even speech, count when trying to fool others.

If you're shapeshifting into another creature, maybe they could do something in general (some twitch you may be failing to perform, maybe speech patterns). It's not that you're seeing what they really are, but are realizing they are not what they appear to be.

Zerryzerry
2020-12-02, 04:32 AM
And what if someone disguises their self to look like they are in a Halloween costume of an orc, rather than an actual orc? (And you beat their disguise check, obviously)

Give them a circumstance bonus to the Disguise check and 25XP for the fun idea.

Jay R
2020-12-02, 06:23 PM
Especially what do you see if you somehow beat someone's disguise check while shapeshifted?

I try to find a way to describe it that makes sense. So these are only examples. I would invent something new for any given situation.

"That orc just used an expression than you've only ever heard Filboid Studge use, and he just hitched up his pants the way Filboid always does."

"That guy in the orc costume sounds a lot like one of the upper valley elves."

Crake
2020-12-03, 01:07 AM

It depends on how you're being disguised.

If you're using shapeshifting to disguise yourself as just a random member of the species, there's no disguise check involved "You are effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race." It's only when you attempt to disguise yourself as a specific individual that you need to roll a disguise check "If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check. " In this case, if someone beats your disguise check, they would notice small discrepancies in the physical qualities of the individual you're trying to pass as. That mole on his cheek isn't quite in the right spot, his ears normally stick out a bit more, and his eyes aren't quite that shade of green, etc.

This isn't really a disguise check, you're not trying to decieve someone, you're literally what you are: wearing a halloween costume of an orc.

SangoProduction
2020-12-03, 01:17 AM
This isn't really a disguise check, you're not trying to decieve someone, you're literally what you are: wearing a halloween costume of an orc.

No. I mean you are an orc, trying to not seem like an orc, by having a disguise that looks like a bad cosplay of an orc.

Psyren
2020-12-04, 03:36 PM
In PF, shapeshifting + mundane disguise is still one disguise, just with a +10 bonus.

I'm not clear whether beating it with Perception just reveals "that creature is trying to hide what they are" or "that's an elf pretending to be a wolf" or "hey, I know that guy!"

Crake
2020-12-04, 04:13 PM
No. I mean you are an orc, trying to not seem like an orc, by having a disguise that looks like a bad cosplay of an orc.

Riigghttt... Then I guess people would notice that the the seams of the costume are fake? Spot green skin under the "mask" things like that.

Jay R
2020-12-04, 11:51 PM

"You notice that the orc mask is held on by two strings tied to his orc ears."

Morty_Jhones
2020-12-05, 09:24 PM
In the cass of the orc trying to pretend it was a cosume orc,

then one of the tings you would knowtis is that its 'Mask' is too flexable and is not moving with the joints and flex points you would exspect a mask to have.
It's teath are way to derty to be fakes and move well when they talk.
It has solid colour eyes, other than the more normal human ones and they move to easly and constantly to be lenses and smoke/fummes make them water
Sweat gatheres on its mask,
there are no lines around the face. if your Orc has hair then the mask disapiers into the hair natraly without the bump of a wig, if they don't then there is sweat and dandruff visable on there head imposable even if they where waring a full headmask.

there body postuer is way to nateral. a human would get a bad back standing hunched like that for hours.
there build shows no sige of body prostectics, since orcs have a humaoid build but are diferant shap to us.

there attitude and charicter are barbaric and stick out when looked for, a human may RP that for a whille but guilt and shame (something an orc dosn't feel) would make them hesitant in some situations.

SangoProduction
2020-12-06, 12:19 AM
In the cass of the orc trying to pretend it was a cosume orc,

then one of the tings you would knowtis is that its 'Mask' is too flexable and is not moving with the joints and flex points you would exspect a mask to have.
It's teath are way to derty to be fakes and move well when they talk.
It has solid colour eyes, other than the more normal human ones and they move to easly and constantly to be lenses and smoke/fummes make them water
Sweat gatheres on its mask,
there are no lines around the face. if your Orc has hair then the mask disapiers into the hair natraly without the bump of a wig, if they don't then there is sweat and dandruff visable on there head imposable even if they where waring a full headmask.

there body postuer is way to nateral. a human would get a bad back standing hunched like that for hours.
there build shows no sige of body prostectics, since orcs have a humaoid build but are diferant shap to us.

there attitude and charicter are barbaric and stick out when looked for, a human may RP that for a whille but guilt and shame (something an orc dosn't feel) would make them hesitant in some situations.

Tried to just let the forums have their answers, and not respond to anything, but this had so much apparent effort put into it, I couldn't help but to commend it.