PDA

View Full Version : MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

LaZodiac
2020-12-02, 10:36 PM
The next one of these appears!

Previous threads:
MtG - You Make the Card II: Wrath of Karn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?297819-MtG-You-Make-the-Card-II-Wrath-of-Karn)
MtG - You Make the Card III: Wrath of the Khans (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365285-MtG-You-Make-the-Card-III-Wrath-of-the-Khans)
MTG - You Make the Card IV: Threadwalkers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?452801-MtG-You-Make-the-Card-IV-Threadwalkers)
MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500569-MtG-You-Make-the-Card-V-Untapped-Potential#post21200237)MTG - You Make The Card IV: Posts You Control Gain Hexproof (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?537030-MtG-You-Make-The-Card-VI-Posts-you-control-gain-hexproof#post22410337)
MTG - You Make The Card VII: Your Custom Planeswalker Card Died in War of the Spark (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?586821-MTG-You-Make-The-Card-VII-Your-Custom-Planeswalker-Card-Died-in-War-of-the-Spark)
The purpose of this thread is to make custom cards for Magic, the Gathering (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/). If you haven't heard of that, it probably won't appeal to you!

Each week, the current judge will post a challenge. You then need to make your very own magic card to fit that challenge. At the end of the week, the judge will select a winner, who becomes the judge for the next week.

Entries can be made at any time before the judging is posted.

In the event that a judge does not immediately post results on judging day, please allow them a 3-day grace period to post their results. If there are still no results 4 days after the judging day, anyone can announce a winner other than themselves.

Each entry must have at least a text representation of their card, in the following format:

Name Mana Cost
Type - Subtypes Rarity
Card text
Power/Toughness

Mana/tap symbols:
W - White mana
U - Blue mana
B - Black mana
R - Red mana
G - Green mana
C - Colourless mana (the new ◊ symbol)
1, 2, 3, etc. - Amounts of generic mana
T - The tap symbol
Q - The untap symbol
(W/R) or {W/R} - Hybrid mana
(W/P) or {W/P} - Phyrexian mana

Rarity symbols:
C - Common
U - Uncommon
R - Rare
M or MR - Mythic Rare
Un - Unglued

For example:

Saint Ayilen, the Lunarblade 2WW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight M
Lifelink
When Saint Ayilen, the Lunarblade dies, put a legendary 4/4 white Spirit Knight creature token with flying and first strike named Saint Ayilen, the Lunarblade onto the battlefield.
4/4

You may also post an image representation of your card if you wish, but make sure you also post the text version, in case of issues with hosting or image clarity.

Finally, I would strongly suggest reading the following articles. They are written with novice designers in mind, but even veteran designers will likely learn something from them (or at least be reminded of something they forgot).

Design 101 (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr68)
Design 102 (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr132)
Design 103 (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr253)
Design 104 (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/261)

New contest is...

NOT DECIDED YET. Dr Guns For Hands won the last contest so he'll decide.

Quiddle
2020-12-03, 03:19 AM
No Funny Title :'(

Tom the Mime
2020-12-03, 04:41 AM
MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 "MTG - You Make The Card" topics to create this thread

LaZodiac
2020-12-03, 09:05 AM
MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 "MTG - You Make The Card" topics to create this thread

Extremely doesn't fit. Like, length wise.

Laughing Dog
2020-12-03, 09:19 AM
MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Akroma, Angel of Insanity

Tom the Mime
2020-12-03, 02:04 PM
Extremely doesn't fit. Like, length wise.
What's the limit? Does this fit?

MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

It feels like it should when compared with the previous one.

LaZodiac
2020-12-03, 05:07 PM
What's the limit? Does this fit?

MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

It feels like it should when compared with the previous one.

That just barely fits!

Also someone ding Guns for hands.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2020-12-03, 08:00 PM
Oh! Alright!

This week, make a card flavored around some kind of entertainment. Like a circus or game or something.

mythmonster2
2020-12-03, 09:54 PM
A New Campaign 3WW
Art: A demon, a goblin, a wizard, and Fblthp sit around a table with a map and several miniatures on it. One of them is rolling a d20. A homarid also sits at the table, behind a DM screen.
Enchantment (R) (Silver)
As an additional cost to cast A New Campaign, exile target creature you control. When A New Campaign leaves the battlefield, return the exiled creature to the battlefield under your control.
When A New Campaign enters the battlefield, exile up to four target creatures until A New Campaign leaves the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, roll a d20. If you roll a 1, sacrifice A New Campaign.

ben-zayb
2020-12-03, 10:44 PM
Online Social Entertainment (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_social_entertainment)

Subordination BB
{image: various creatures lined up and dancing}
Enchantment R
1: ~'s controller creates X Treasure tokens, where X is equal to the power of target creature they control. That creature can't attack you this combat. Only opponents may activate this ability.
2, Sacrifice ~: Draw a card for each three Treasures you control.
"Ten-thousand gold!! Appreciate the sub! Welcome to the family, Leeroy the 7th, and welcome to The Realm!"
-The Queen of Lightning

Tom the Mime
2020-12-04, 02:00 AM
I remember doing a go fish one a while back so let's try another non-trading card game.

May I? 1UB
Enchantment U
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent discards a card.
Whenever an opponent discards a card, you may sacrifice ~. If you do, exile that card unless that opponent has you draw two cards. You may play that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.

Tweaked again to have a discard effect so it can trigger itself if you want, although separate targeted discard still helps improve it.

May I? (U/B)
Enchantment U
Whenever an opponent discards a card, you may sacrifice ~. If you do, exile that card unless that opponent has you draw two cards. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.

Edit: Significantly reduced the mana cost and draws on consideration given the discard requirement is strongly conditional, optional for your opponent and a slowing factor. The old version activating T4 earliest feels like it'd be too hit and miss given that even if you have targeted discard, this card is pretty dead of they don't have anything to discard worth stealing.

Quiddle
2020-12-05, 02:33 AM
Knife Show R
[An entertainer is juggling knives]
Enchantment U
At the beginning of your upkeep you may have Knife Show deal one damage to any target and put a blade counter on Knife Show.
At the beginning of your end step Knife Show deals damage to you equal to the number of blade counters on it.
R: Remove a blade counter from Knife Show.

Necroticplague
2020-12-05, 11:48 AM
Tag 2WW
Enchantment - U
Flash
Creatures being targeted have “T: Exile target creature.”
At the end of turn, sacrifice Tag.

Laughing Dog
2020-12-05, 01:01 PM
Rock and Roll Angel 2RWB
Creature- Demon Angel Bard U
Flying, Vigilance
Unleash(You may have this creature enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. It can't block as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Rakdos by day, Boros by night.
3/3

mystic1110
2020-12-05, 01:07 PM
Speed Dating 2RG
Instant R
Each player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a creature card. If those creatures share a creature type each player may place those cards onto the battlefield under their owner’s control. If creatures revealed this way do not each share a creature type between them, Speed Dating deals damage to each player equal to the total of the mana costs of each card revealed this way. Each player shuffles their library.
It’s a jungle out there

Personification
2020-12-05, 07:16 PM
A New Campaign 3WW
Art: A demon, a goblin, a wizard, and Fblthp sit around a table with a map and several miniatures on it. One of them is rolling a d20. A homarid also sits at the table, behind a DM screen.
Enchantment (R) (Silver)
As an additional cost to cast A New Campaign, exile target creature you control. When A New Campaign leaves the battlefield, return the exiled creature to the battlefield under your control.
When A New Campaign enters the battlefield, exile up to four target creatures until A New Campaign leaves the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, roll a d20. If you roll a 1, sacrifice A New Campaign.
Ugh, Fblthp would be SUCH a rules lawyer.

Rock and Roll Angel 2RWB
Flying, Vigilance
Unleash(You may have this creature enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. It can't block as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.)
3/3
Just so you know, Bard isn't actually a creature type because Wizards hates all goodness in the world.

Enlisted Musician 1RR
[A soldier sits, plucking a harp, his sword and shield on the ground next to him. Across the battlefield, you can see soldiers under a different banner standing still and not paying attention to the battle. One of them is visibly weeping.]
Creature - Human Soldier R
X, T, Exert ~: Up to X target creatures can't block this turn. You may spend only R to pay for X.
2/2
"Though I had never intended to go to war, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the skills I used to survive on the streets were just as good at keeping me alive in the battle. Nobody ever wants to kill me bad enough to stop the music."

Kapow
2020-12-07, 01:31 AM
Okay, let's try this

Moving Pictures 1U
Tribal Instant - Illusion C
[A bunch of different creatures in dim light, looking slightly up with wide eyes, some of them with an open mouth]
Tap X creatures, where X is the number of illusions you control.
"Did someone bring popcorn?"

Personification
2020-12-10, 02:56 PM
It's been a week, Dr.Gunsforhands.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2020-12-12, 02:17 AM
A New Campaign 3WW
Enchantment (R) (Silver)

Even understanding how clunky it is, I understand what's happening well enough to know why it's set up that way, and the silver-border context actually really helps; it turns, "we need to make sure you have a creature to sacrifice before ETB," into, "well, that one's the DM, so it has to do some setup first!"

Subordination BB
{image: various creatures lined up and dancing}
Enchantment R
1: ~'s controller creates X Treasure tokens, where X is equal to the power of target creature they control. That creature can't attack you this combat. Only opponents may activate this ability.
2, Sacrifice ~: Draw a card for each three Treasures you control.
"Ten-thousand gold!! Appreciate the sub! Welcome to the family, Leeroy the 7th, and welcome to The Realm!"
-The Queen of Lightning
Flavorfully, this somehow feels like a perfect Hearthstone card despite having exactly zero things to do with Hearthstone mechanics. Maybe it's the Leeroy reference? I'm pretty sure that the first ability does effectively nothing, even in multiplayer; the phrase, "bold to assume you could attack me in the first place," comes to mind. In the right deck, it might secretly be good enough with just the second ability, but you'd probably want to rework the group-hug aspect to make it more interesting.

May I? 1UB
Enchantment U
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent discards a card.
Whenever an opponent discards a card, you may sacrifice ~. If you do, exile that card unless that opponent has you draw two cards. You may play that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.
Weird card is weird. It's one of those things you have to read like three times to understand what you're supposed to do with it, which isn't necessarily bad! You can cash it in for one card right away, making this a quick discard-draw 2-for-1, or you can hold out until you can make your opponent discard something they don't want you to have and hope to get a third card out of the deal. Is that worth it? Probably not? It leaves me with the feeling that it's there just for the sake of being interesting, rather than for really rewarding a discard strategy.

Knife Show R
[An entertainer is juggling knives]
Enchantment U
At the beginning of your upkeep you may have Knife Show deal one damage to any target and put a blade counter on Knife Show.
At the beginning of your end step Knife Show deals damage to you equal to the number of blade counters on it.
R: Remove a blade counter from Knife Show.
Honestly, when I think of the phrase, "knife show," the first things that comes to mind are those kitchen cutlery demonstrations where they cut tomatoes and stuff. Maybe all the knife counters are coming from the audience, then; they keep getting more and more restless as they have to sit through the ads. :smalltongue:

I can see how it's good in the Spectacle deck. At first I misread it as only hitting players, and even then I thought it might have its uses in constructed. 'Any target,' more justifies paying life and mana, but makes me a little nervous for the limited environment it ends up in. It could also be good for that, though! Maybe there aren't a ton of good targets for it, or maybe there are a ton of targets and this is necessary to help keep them in check.

Tag 2WW
Enchantment - U
Flash
Creatures being targeted have “T: Exile target creature.”
At the end of turn, sacrifice Tag.

First reaction: "Huh????"

I actually don't know whether the game has a mechanism in place to make this work. A creature knows when it becomes the target of something, so this could certainly have worked as some kind of triggered effect, but can a creature really sense that something is in, like, a static state of targeting it? Is that a real thing?

Also, my understanding of Tag is that, upon declaring someone, "It," one abdicates the title and may once again count oneself among the non-It players. This version seems to be of a variant where one is exiled in the end either way. :smalltongue:

Rock and Roll Angel 2RWB
Flying, Vigilance
3/3

I think this would go just below Birdo on my trans representation tier list.

Speed Dating 2RG
Instant R
Each player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a creature card. If those creatures share a creature type each player may place those cards onto the battlefield under their owner’s control. If creatures revealed this way do not each share a creature type between them, Speed Dating deals damage to each player equal to the total of the mana costs of each card revealed this way. Each player shuffles their library.
It’s a jungle out there

This feels like a commander or two-headed giant card, but would those games require that all four revealed cards share a type? And that they otherwise just explode everyone for four creatures' costs worth of damage?

I guess that's what we get for speed dating during a pandemic.

Enlisted Musician 1RR
[A soldier sits, plucking a harp, his sword and shield on the ground next to him. Across the battlefield, you can see soldiers under a different banner standing still and not paying attention to the battle. One of them is visibly weeping.]
Creature - Human Soldier R
X, T, Exert ~: Up to X target creatures can't block this turn. You may spend only R to pay for X.
2/2
"Though I had never intended to go to war, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the skills I used to survive on the streets were just as good at keeping me alive in the battle. Nobody ever wants to kill me bad enough to stop the music."

A must-kill creature in a board stall, certainly. I guess it's a rare mostly for the use of Xes, since it's not fast enough for constructed. The Exert kind of unnecessarily limits which sets it can go in; I doubt most people will use this expecting the game to last another turn.

Moving Pictures 1U
Tribal Instant - Illusion C
[A bunch of different creatures in dim light, looking slightly up with wide eyes, some of them with an open mouth]
Tap X creatures, where X is the number of illusions you control.
"Did someone bring popcorn?"

I'm kind of interested in this idea of an illusions theme, but this doesn't do that much to support it. Wouldn't you be happier making some illusion creatures to be the moving pictures?

I think the result might be a tie??? Judging this round was really fun in general, actually.

It's between mythmonster2 and Quiddle this time. They have kind of opposite relative merits in my mind... hmm...

Quiddle's knife show!

I'm willing to admit that I decided this by scrolling back through the last thread and seeing who hasn't won most recently.

Quiddle
2020-12-12, 01:05 PM
Thanks Dr.Gunsforhands! I thought that this was a very fun and creative prompt :).

Alright for this next week I would like cards that tell a tragic story.

Kapow
2020-12-12, 06:29 PM
I'm kind of interested in this idea of an illusions theme, but this doesn't do that much to support it. Wouldn't you be happier making some illusion creatures to be the moving pictures?

Thanks for judging.
I decided against a creature, to keep the flavor more "cinema-like"

Tragic, is hard...
Well, here goes...

Incurable Cancer 2B
Enchantment - Saga U
[A human lying in bed - obviously sick - surrounded by family]
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step add a lore counter. Sacrifice after IV)
I - Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature
II & III- Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
IV - Destroy target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
"Because there is no glory in illness. There is no meaning to it. There is no honor in dying of." - John Green

Tom the Mime
2020-12-12, 10:02 PM
Star-crossed lovers 2R
Enchantment - Saga U
I: Put a lover counter on target creature you control and target creature you don't control. Gain control of these creatures and they gain haste until the end of the turn.
II-III: Sacrifice a creature with a lover counter

mystic1110
2020-12-12, 10:08 PM
Familial Chimera WB
Creature - Human Chimera Horror R
As an additional cost to cast Familial Chimera exile a human from your graveyard and exile a human you control from the battlefield.
Familial Chimera has protection from creatures with first strike if any of the creatures exiled by it have first strike. The same is true for flying, deathtouch, double strike, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, skulk, trample, and vigilance.
5/5

mythmonster2
2020-12-12, 10:34 PM
Vengeful Rage R
Enchantment- Aura (C)
Enchant creature
When Vengeful Rage enters the battlefield, if a creature died this turn, put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and must attack each turn if able.

Necroticplague
2020-12-12, 11:04 PM
Coute que Coute 2BB
[Two figures falling off a tall roof-one looking terrified, and the other incoherent with anger with their hands at the first's throat.]
Enchantment U
Discard two cards: Choose an opponent. They discard a card.
Pay 2 life: Choose an opponent. They lose a life
Sacrifice two permanents that share a type: Choose a permanent an opponent controls that shares a type with the sacrificed permanents. Put it into their graveyard.
"Doesn't matter what happens to me, long as they get what's coming."
-Yarrick Dell, Amalgamation of Vengeance

ben-zayb
2020-12-13, 01:41 PM
Llewellyn, the Forsaken 2UU
Legendary Creature - Human Child R
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, they create a 0/1 colorless Human Child creature token with cumulative upkeep—Mill 1.
U: Gain control of target Child token for as long as it has three or less age counters on it.
Child creatures you control get +1/+1 and have flying.
1/2

+5 Vorpal Bunny
2020-12-13, 04:13 PM
Dark Teacher's Tragedy 2BB
(A shadowed chamber with an imperious-looking scholarly figure on a throne... with a knife sticking through him from a rising half-dead figure above.)
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant Creature you Control
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Sacrifice enchanted creature at the end of your turn.
Ironic... he could save others from death, but not himself.
- Unnamed Apprentice

Dr.Gunsforhands
2020-12-13, 08:11 PM
Scorpion's Betrayal - 1B
A big green turtle looks over their shoulder to check on their little friend as they ferry it across the river.
Instant - C
Destroy target creature. Its controller creates a tapped 1/1 black Scorpion creature token with deathtouch.
"I thought the story was that the scorpion dies, too?"
"Sure; it dies when its owner loses the game."
"What if they win anyway, though?"
"Then the story gets more interesting."

Laughing Dog
2020-12-13, 08:32 PM
(A shadowed chamber with an imperious-looking scholarly figure on a throne... with a knife sticking through him from a rising half-dead figure above.)
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant Creature
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Sacrifice enchanted creature at the end of your turn.
- Unnamed Apprentice

You probably want to change that from "Enchant Creature" to "Enchant Creature you control". As written, you could enchant an opponent's creature and it would cause some weird rule shenanigans to happen. (You cannot sacrifice someone else's permanents.)

+5 Vorpal Bunny
2020-12-13, 10:28 PM
You probably want to change that from "Enchant Creature" to "Enchant Creature you control". As written, you could enchant an opponent's creature and it would cause some weird rule shenanigans to happen. (You cannot sacrifice someone else's permanents.)

That would go against the spirit of the card, yes. Appreciated and changed.

Familial Chimera WB
As an additional cost to cast Familial Chimera exile a human from your graveyard and exile a human you control from the battlefield.
Familial Chimera has protection from creatures with first strike if any of the creatures exiled by it have first strike. The same is true for flying, deathtouch, double strike, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, skulk, trample, and vigilance.
5/5

Also, I totally get that reference. Without spoiling the show, man I still hate his guts.

somethingrandom
2020-12-14, 09:15 AM
Doomed Lovers 1WB
Enchantment R
When ~ enters the battlefiled put lover counters on 2 creatures. Creatures with lover counters get +1/+1.
When a creature with a lover counter leaves the battlefield sacrifice ~, the controler of each creature with a lovers counter sacrifices it.
Their love makes them stronger, it also spells their doom.

Personification
2020-12-14, 10:17 AM
Saga of the Champion 1WW
Enchantment - Saga R
[I] Put a hero counter on target creature you control. It gets +1/+1, trample, vigilance, and lifelink.
[II] Exile target enchantment or creature an opponent controls.
[III] Sacrifice all permanents you control with hero counters.

mystic1110
2020-12-14, 10:25 AM
Also, I totally get that reference. Without spoiling the show, man I still hate his guts.

Glad you got it :smallsmile: and yeah - **** that guy :smallfurious:

TurboGhast
2020-12-14, 06:13 PM
Vicious Backstabbing 3UUB
Sorcery R
Destroy target creature. Gain control of target creature controlled by the same player.
"I never really liked you, anyway."

Personification
2020-12-15, 12:42 PM
Sorcery R
Destroy target creature. Gain control of target creature controlled by the same player.

Just so you know, you can't cast this with fewer than two targets. That might be intentional, though.

Misothene
2020-12-17, 09:12 PM
Coute que Coute 2BB
[Two figures falling off a tall roof-one looking terrified, and the other incoherent with anger with their hands at the first's throat.]
Enchantment U
Sacrifice two permanents that share a type: Choose a card an opponent controls that shares a type with the sacrificed permanents. Send it to their graveyard.

The wordings for these abilities are very unusual. I assume for the most part this is intentionally avoiding the use of the word "target" for some reason (getting around hexproof and protection, etc.). "Send it to the graveyard," though, isn't really a thing. Is it destroyed? Does its controller sacrifice it? It should also say "choose a permanent an opponent controls" since that's what cards are called on the battlefield.

Enchantment - Aura (R)
- Unnamed Apprentice

This is a permanent; it has to spell out when you do the ability. I assume it's supposed to be when it enters the battlefield.

Doomed Lovers 1WB
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefiled choose 2 creatures. Those creatures each get +1/+1.
When either creature leaves the battlefield sacrifice ~, the other's controler sacrifices it.

They get +1/+1, like, forever? Might I recommend using +1/+1 counters then? Or some other type of counter so as to designate the two destiny bonded creatures, then an ability giving them +1/+1? That could help with potential memory issues. Also, the card is missing a rarity.

LaZodiac
2020-12-17, 09:53 PM
Tragedy of Love 1R
Enchantment - Saga
I: Two target creatures each get +2/+0 and gain double strike for as long as you control Tragedy of Love.
II: Creatures you control attack this turn if able. Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control attacks, it deals 1 damage to each player.
III: Choose a creature you control. Sacrifice the rest.

Necroticplague
2020-12-17, 11:41 PM
The wordings for these abilities are very unusual. I assume for the most part this is intentionally avoiding the use of the word "target" for some reason (getting around hexproof and protection, etc.). "Send it to the graveyard," though, isn't really a thing. Is it destroyed? Does its controller sacrifice it? It should also say "choose a permanent an opponent controls" since that's what cards are called on the battlefield.
1. You're correct in that the assumption for the incredibly wierd wording. If you're gonna have to 2-for-one yourself, it should definitely stick, so I tried to make typical defenses not work.
2. It's 'sent to the graveyard' to get around indestructible and effects like Tejuru Preserver. They do die (by definition), but they are not destroyed or sacrificed.

Thanks for pointing that one out, though. I now realize that more standard terminology would be to put it into the graveyard (al la corpse connoisseur Blightsteel, Haunt, and Gravestorm), instead of send it to the graveyard.

somethingrandom
2020-12-18, 05:21 AM

This is a permanent; it has to spell out when you do the ability. I assume it's supposed to be when it enters the battlefield.

They get +1/+1, like, forever? Might I recommend using +1/+1 counters then? Or some other type of counter so as to designate the two destiny bonded creatures, then an ability giving them +1/+1? That could help with potential memory issues. Also, the card is missing a rarity.

Good points edited.

Bucky
2020-12-18, 11:43 AM
Bold Aerobat 2W
Creature - Bird Soldier C
Flying
When Bold Aerobat attacks or blocks, transform it at the end of combat.
3/3

///

Crippled Instructor
Creature - Bird Advisor
Creatures you control with Flying get +1/+0.
Crippled Instructor can't attack unless it has Flying.
2/3

Quiddle
2020-12-20, 01:44 PM
judging will be up later today

Quiddle
2020-12-20, 08:04 PM
Incurable Cancer 2B
Enchantment - Saga U
[A human lying in bed - obviously sick - surrounded by family]
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step add a lore counter. Sacrifice after IV)
I - Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature
II & III- Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
IV - Destroy target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
"Because there is no glory in illness. There is no meaning to it. There is no honor in dying of." - John Green

I feel like thematically cancer feels like a more modern disease. The restriction on parts 2&3 I think make this saga a little weak for 3 mana. This card does a good job of having a single creature wither away and the mechanics nicely tell the story.

Star-crossed lovers 2R
Enchantment - Saga U
I: Put a lover counter on target creature you control and target creature you don't control. Gain control of these creatures and they gain haste until the end of the turn.
II-III: Sacrifice a creature with a lover counter

This is a very interesting act of treason, my only gripe is that I think this card would be a little hard to decipher for someone show doesn't know R&J.

Familial Chimera WB
5/5

While the card is while black - and well costed - I feel like the flavor of this card is more UB. This is a creative take on a chimera monster, I like the perversion of white keywords matter. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a fma reference though.

Vengeful Rage R
Enchantment- Aura (C)
Enchant creature
When Vengeful Rage enters the battlefield, if a creature died this turn, put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and must attack each turn if able.

I like this card a lot, I think it is a really interesting common and its sweet that it can be played in a bunch of different ways. However seeking vengeance doesn't feel super tragic to me, I wish we could see more of the enchanted creature's emotional pain somehow. Cool card!

Coute que Coute 2BB
Enchantment U
Sacrifice two permanents that share a type: Choose a permanent an opponent controls that shares a type with the sacrificed permanents. Put it into their graveyard.

This is an interesting effect that makes me want to try to build some kind of engine. I think it is an interesting choice to have the choose X instead of target X. Also I think the last ability should just say destroy.

Llewellyn, the Forsaken 2UU
Legendary Creature - Human Child R
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, they create a 0/1 colorless Human Child creature token with cumulative upkeep—Mill 1.
U: Gain control of target Child token for as long as it has three or less age counters on it.
Child creatures you control get +1/+1 and have flying.
1/2

Llewellyn sounds like an elvish name to me. This card is really cool. I love how you play with age counters but worry that this might be a too powerful self mill engine. Being a 2/3 flyer for 4 + activation makes it fair though.

Enchantment - Aura (R)
- Unnamed Apprentice

Probably should say When ~ enters the battlefield return yada yada. I miss read the effect the first several times but the way this works is cool. I think that this could probably cost 3 mana safely. Neat card!

Scorpion's Betrayal - 1B
A big green turtle looks over their shoulder to check on their little friend as they ferry it across the river.
Instant - C
Destroy target creature. Its controller creates a tapped 1/1 black Scorpion creature token with deathtouch.
"I thought the story was that the scorpion dies, too?"
"Sure; it dies when its owner loses the game."
"What if they win anyway, though?"
"Then the story gets more interesting."

This is an okay kill spell, its fun how you play with the story of the turtle and scorp :). I think that with this effect though it could cost B.

Doomed Lovers 1WB
Enchantment R
When ~ enters the battlefiled put lover counters on 2 creatures. Creatures with lover counters get +1/+1.
When a creature with a lover counter leaves the battlefield sacrifice ~, the controller of each creature with a lovers counter sacrifices it.

I like how this is done and there are probably a number of interesting ways to play this card. Good job.

Saga of the Champion 1WW
Enchantment - Saga R
[I] Put a hero counter on target creature you control. It gets +1/+1, trample, vigilance, and lifelink.
[II] Exile target enchantment or creature an opponent controls.
[III] Sacrifice all permanents you control with hero counters.

This seems strong I think the effects are appropriate in white at this cost and I think tells a decent story.

Sorcery R

I wonder if this could be an uncommon but this is a great 2 for 1.

Tragedy of Love 1R
Enchantment - Saga
I: Two target creatures each get +2/+0 and gain double strike for as long as you control Tragedy of Love.
II: Creatures you control attack this turn if able. Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control attacks, it deals 1 damage to each player.
III: Choose a creature you control. Sacrifice the rest.

+2/+0 and double strike is very strong on two creatures. I think this might be a little much, but at least it can only be played at sorcery speed.

Bold Aerobat 2W
Creature - Bird Soldier C
Flying
When Bold Aerobat attacks or blocks, transform it at the end of combat.
3/3

///

Crippled Instructor
Creature - Bird Advisor
Creatures you control with Flying get +1/+0.
Crippled Instructor can't attack unless it has Flying.
2/3

This is a cool common for a transform set! I wonder if the injured side should be able to attack on the ground. I also like how the backside gains a lord effect. Nice card :)

Shout out to all the tragic love cards. I had some trouble picking through them since they started to blend together in my mind.
Bold Aerobat
Llewellyn, the Forsaken
Coute que Coute

Llewellyn, the Forsaken I thought that using children with age counters was a really creative idea!
benzayb!

Bucky
2020-12-20, 08:25 PM
Llewellyn sounds like an elvish name to me.

It's distinctly Welsh.

ben-zayb
2020-12-21, 05:53 AM
Wow, thanks! For the curious, the name is based on the Llewelyn Davies children (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llewelyn_Davies_boys).

This week, choose a trope (https://tvtropes.org) and make a card based on it.

+5 Vorpal Bunny
2020-12-21, 10:22 AM
*gasp* You linked us to the forbidden site! The bane of readers, the swallower of time! You monster! How could you!? (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife)

Actually, that gives me a very neat idea for a card.

Life-Breaking Binge XUBR
Sorcery - MR
(A large crystal ball with images that looks suspiciously like articles on different tropes in fiction dominates the picture, with 'Mad Scientist' on the left, 'Evil Overlord List' to the right, 'Archive Binge' on top and 'Go Mad From the Revelation' in the center. Over the crystal ball, a clearly disheveled, emaciated, and now screaming mage is seen frantically pawing through these images, motioning up to bring up another article from the bottom; the words 'Eld' and 'Ab' can be seen drifting up as his hands fray away from black fire, his body vanishes into blue mist and his mouth and eyes combust in red flame. A giant fanged mouth and pair of eyes in these colors can be seen behind him as the background fades to black...)

You may spend only blue, black and/or red mana to pay X. If X is 5 or greater, this spell can't be countered.

Target player exiles a card from their hand. If they can't, exile the top card of their library. Repeat this process X-1 times. Then, they exile the top X cards of their library. Life-Breaking Binge than deals X damage to them. This damage can't be prevented.

'Just one... more... artic-'
- Last words of Master Mage Kath'mor

Personification
2020-12-21, 10:49 AM
Death of a Thousand Cuts W

Enchantment-Aura C
Whenever combat damage would be dealt to enchanted creature, instead put that many scratch counters on it. Enchanted creature gets -0/-X, where X is the number of scratch counters on it.

DeTess
2020-12-21, 11:22 AM
Open Secret (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OpenSecret) U
Enchantment R
Every player plays with the top card of their library revealed.

mystic1110
2020-12-21, 11:35 AM
No Time to Explain (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoTimeToExplain) U
Instant U
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put that card on the top its owner’s library instead of into that player’s graveyard. That player may scry 3, then draw a card.
Scry 3.
I DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO OVER THIS AGAIN YOU IDIOT!!!

Bucky
2020-12-21, 02:08 PM
Eye Beams 1RW
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has Vigilance and "{T}: This creature deals 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature."

Personification
2020-12-21, 03:53 PM
No Time to Explain (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoTimeToExplain) U
Instant C
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it into its owner’s hand instead of into that player’s graveyard.
I DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO OVER THIS AGAIN YOU IDIOT!!!

Is there a reason this isn't template as "Return target spell to its owner's hand"?

mystic1110
2020-12-21, 04:04 PM
Just copied the wording on remand. I guess it doesn't work on spells that can't be countered :/

Kapow
2020-12-21, 06:22 PM
El Dorado (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CityOfGold)
Legendary Land R
[A golden city]

~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice
any number of creatures and put the same number of wealth counters on ~.

T: C
T, sacrifice a creature: Put a wealth counter on ~.

T, remove X wealth counters from ~: Search your library for an artifact with CMC X (X can't be 0) and put it on the battlefield. Shuffle your library.

mythmonster2
2020-12-21, 06:59 PM
I just hit random trope a few times until I got one that caught my eye, and it happened to be... Squirrels in my Pants (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquirrelsInMyPants).

Squirrel Mobbing 1GW
Enchantment- Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Squirrel Mobbing enters the battlefield with three squirrel counters on it.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block. It loses all abilities and has "T: Target opponent creates a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token. Remove a squirrel token from Squirrel Mobbing. Then, if it has no squirrel counters on it, sacrifice Squirrel Mobbing."

Necroticplague
2020-12-22, 12:24 AM
Not Too Dead to Save the Day B
Instant-U
Cast only if it is not your turn. Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. Sacrifice it at the end of the turn.

Laughing Dog
2020-12-22, 09:21 AM
Powered By A Forsaken Child (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PoweredByAForsakenChild)

Heart of a Forsaken Child 2
Artifact R
2,T: Until end of turn, another target noncreature artifact becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost.

"It's powered by a FORSAKEN CHILD!?"
"Might be, kind of — I mean, I didn't use the whole thing!"

Kapow
2020-12-22, 04:41 PM
I just hit random trope a few times until I got one that caught my eye, and it happened to be... Squirrels in my Pants (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquirrelsInMyPants).

Yes, I did the same thing

somethingrandom
2020-12-23, 03:54 PM
Blade on a Stick (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BladeOnAStick) 2
Artifact Equipment U
When ~ enters the battlefield create a 1/1 Soldier token and equip ~ to it.
Equiped creature gets +1/+0 and has first strike
When equiped creature blocks it gets +2/0.
Equip token creature 1

Misothene
2020-12-23, 05:02 PM
Based on Ornamental Weapon:

Ceremonial Blade 1
Artifact- Equipment U
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and menace.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a creature, sacrifice Ceremonial Blade.
Equip 1

Life-Breaking Binge XUBR
Sorcery - MR
Spend only Blue, Black and Red mana to pay for X. If X is 5 or more, this spell cannot be countered.

Target player exiles X cards from their library, than exiles X cards from their hand, than takes X damage. Damage taken this way cannot be prevented. If their hand would be emptied this way, they exile additional cards from their library equal to the difference.

'Just one... more... artic-'
- Last words of Master Mage Kath'mor

You need to specify where in the library the cards are exiled from, and the last effect has to be worded in a very particular way for the rules to actually parse it. I think the proper templating for this card (cleaning up a few other things as well) would be:
"You may spend only blue, black and/or red mana to pay X. If X is 5 or greater, this spell can't be countered.
Target player exiles a card from their hand. If they can't, exile the top card of their library. Repeat this process X-1 times. Then, they exile the top X cards of their library. Life-Breaking Binge deals X damage to them. This damage can't be prevented."

El Dorado
Legendary Land R
[A golden city]

~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice
any number of creatures and put the same number of wealth counters on ~.

T, sacrifice a creature: Put a wealth counter on ~.

T, remove X wealth counters from ~: Search your library for an artifact with CMC X and put it on the battlefield without paying its mana cost. Shuffle your library.

You don't need the "without paying its mana cost" when you're just slamming things onto the battlefield; you only need that if the cards are actually being cast, which in this case they're not.
A couple other suggestions that aren't about whether the card works under the rules, so feel free to take or leave them:
1. Wizards hasn't printed a land with no mana ability in quite some time, because people tend to play them wrong, for example, they'll just count the number of lands they have to determine how big they can make an X spell, etc. and forget that one doesn't produce mana. It also makes it harder for opponents sitting across the table to figure out how much mana you have potentially available. That's why most nonbasics at least have "Tap: add C."
2. The last ability is extremely powerful in any environment with artifacts that have CMC 0. I suggest adding the rider "X can't be zero" so that players have to actually use some counters to use the card.

Kapow
2020-12-23, 05:48 PM
You don't need the "without paying its mana cost" when you're just slamming things onto the battlefield; you only need that if the cards are actually being cast, which in this case they're not.
A couple other suggestions that aren't about whether the card works under the rules, so feel free to take or leave them:
1. Wizards hasn't printed a land with no mana ability in quite some time, because people tend to play them wrong, for example, they'll just count the number of lands they have to determine how big they can make an X spell, etc. and forget that one doesn't produce mana. It also makes it harder for opponents sitting across the table to figure out how much mana you have potentially available. That's why most nonbasics at least have "Tap: add C."
2. The last ability is extremely powerful in any environment with artifacts that have CMC 0. I suggest adding the rider "X can't be zero" so that players have to actually use some counters to use the card.

Thanks for proofreading ;)

1. I understand where you're coming from and it makes sense to me
I just wanted to nitpick, that there is at least one recent land without mana ability (e.g. Fabled Passage)

2. Good catch.

I will implement your advice (and hope that's okay to do so)

Personification
2020-12-23, 10:01 PM
Thanks for proofreading ;)

1. I understand where you're coming from and it makes sense to me
I just wanted to nitpick, that there is at least one recent land without mana ability (e.g. Fabled Passage)

2. Good catch.

I will implement your advice (and hope that's okay to do so)

Fetches are the exception, and are in a different category because they all grab lands that do tap for mana.

+5 Vorpal Bunny
2020-12-24, 09:52 AM
You need to specify where in the library the cards are exiled from, and the last effect has to be worded in a very particular way for the rules to actually parse it. I think the proper templating for this card (cleaning up a few other things as well) would be:
"You may spend only blue, black and/or red mana to pay X. If X is 5 or greater, this spell can't be countered.
Target player exiles a card from their hand. If they can't, exile the top card of their library. Repeat this process X-1 times. Then, they exile the top X cards of their library. Life-Breaking Binge deals X damage to them. This damage can't be prevented."

Blue precision to the rescue once again! Thanks man, I'll fix it right up.

Tom the Mime
2020-12-24, 01:20 PM
Was thinking of "Weapons that suck" being an equipment forcing a creature to attack or block a certain way but going for this for now.

Everybody Lives 1W
Instant - U
Until the end of the turn, creatures gain hexproof and indestructible and cannot be sacrificed.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2020-12-26, 10:29 PM
Replacement Goldfish - 2
Artifact Creature - Fish Shapeshifter U
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may have Replacement Goldfish become a copy of that creature except it's an artifact in addition to its other types. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
0/2

Quiddle
2020-12-29, 01:41 AM
CameFromTheSky (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CameFromTheSky)

Heavenly Intervention 5GW
Instant R
Reveal the top 4 cards of your library. Put all permanent cards revealed this way onto the battlefield and the rest into the graveyard.

TurboGhast
2020-12-30, 04:42 PM
Dead Man's Switch (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadMansSwitch) RR
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant creature you control
When enchanted creature dies, Dead Man's Switch deals 3 damage to each creature, planeswalker, and player.

Personification
2021-01-02, 11:05 PM
It's been nearly two weeks, judgment?

ben-zayb
2021-01-03, 11:53 AM
I had a blast reading the entries and choosing the winners is pretty hard. Unfortunately, it looks like the holidays are eating up more of my time than anticipated and I won't be able to sit down and get out the full reviews.

Blade on a Stick by somethingrandom
Everybody Lives by Tom the Mime
Dead Man's Switch by TurboGhast
Squirrel Mobbing by mythmonster2

mythmonster2
2021-01-04, 03:26 AM
Didn't expect to win with that, but I appreciate it nonetheless!

For the new challenge: Since Kaldheim's going to be having Gods, make a God or a card related to a God! So, something like Pharika's Libation or Pharika's Spawn would also be acceptable.

DeTess
2021-01-04, 03:44 AM
Godslayer 1B
Artifact - equipment R
Equipped creature has Deathtouch.

T: Target creature loses indestructible until end of turn. If that creature is a God creature it loses all abilities until end of turn instead. If the targeted creature leaves the battlefield this turn, untap ~.

Equip 2

Taking up the power BW
Instant R
As an additional cost to casting this spell, sacrifice a non-token creature.
Put target god from a graveyard into play under your control.
"He hadn't expected 'you kill it, you bought it' (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouKillItYouBoughtIt) to apply to divine power.'"

Necroticplague
2021-01-04, 12:50 PM
Divine Spark
Creature- Illusion U
Mutate 3
This is an enchantment and god, in addition to its other types and subtypes.
If this creature is a demigod, it is indestructible.
If this creature is a nightmare or an illusion, it has shadow and hexproof.
0/0

mystic1110
2021-01-04, 12:57 PM
Chromatic Apotheosis 3
Sorcery R
Chromatic Apotheosis is all colors.
Spend only colored mana to cast Chromatic Apotheosis
Exile a creature you control, then search your library for a God card that shares a color with that creature and place it onto the battlefield under your control. Shuffle your library.

+5 Vorpal Bunny
2021-01-04, 01:02 PM
Deific Display 1UU
Instant - U

Reveal a creature card that has the God type in your hand. Tap a number of permanents target player controls equal to that card's converted mana cost.

'Oh. My. God.'
- Unnamed Acolyte

Personification
2021-01-04, 07:42 PM
Godslayer 1B

Taking up the power BW
Instant R
As an alternative cost to casting this spell, sacrifice a non-token creature.
Put target god from a graveyard into play under your control.
"He hadn't expected 'you kill it, you bought it' (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouKillItYouBoughtIt) to apply to divine power.'"

Only if you are well Connected. :smallbiggrin:

Kodo, Titan of Gods' Fears 1WB
Legendary Creature - Elder Giant M
When Kodo enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless it escaped.
Whenever Kodo enters the battlefield or attacks, choose a color. Each opponent loses life equal to their devotion to that color. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
Escape-WWBB, Exile five cards from your graveyard.
6/6
EDIT: p/t

Tom the Mime
2021-01-05, 02:05 AM
Zealous Apostate 1W
Creature - Human U
Each players devotion to every color is 0.
"The gods have no power but what we give them. So give them none."
1/3

Misothene
2021-01-05, 03:29 AM
Godslayer 1B
Artifact - equipment R
Equipped creature has Deathtouch, "creatures dealt damage by this creature lose indestructible untill end of turn" and "god creatures damaged by this creature lose all abilities untill end of turn".

Equip 2

All of the words on this card work, but they don't accomplish what I think you intended them to. As written, both of the damage effects are triggered abilities that would go on the stack after damage is dealt. Let's look at each one against the gods they seem to be targeted at:
1. "Lose indestructible" vs. the indestructible gods. Since they're indestructible at the time the damage was dealt, the deathtouch won't "work." The relevant rule is "702.2b A creature with toughness greater than 0 that’s been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action." They'll still lose indestructible, and potentially die if they were dealt damage greater than their toughness, but they won't get deathtouched to death.
2. "Lose all abilities" vs. the Scarab/Locust god and eternalized Amonkhet gods. Their "hard-to-kill"-ness comes from death triggers. Those will still go on the stack, so when the "remove all abilities" ability resolves, it will be too late to stop their recursion ability.

You could change the triggers to "Creatures blocking or blocked by..." to get around those issues, but then it would only work in combat and not on fighting, pinging, etc.

Whenever Kodo enters the battlefield or attacks, choose a color. Each opponent loses life equal to their devotion to that color. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.

As a creature, this needs a power and toughness.

Kapow
2021-01-06, 07:28 AM
Karametra, Full of Plenty 3WG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God M
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to green and white is less than seven, Karametra isn’t a creature.
Whenever you tap a Plains or Forest for mana, add an additional mana that land could produce.
Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may pay X, where X is the creatures casting cost, if you do create a token, that is a copy of the creature.
5/6

I always missed a second Karametra ;p

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-01-06, 12:29 PM
Wolf God's Moon - 1RG
Enchantment - R
Whenever this enchantment enters the battlefield or becomes a creature, tap target creature you don’t control. It fights up to one target creature you control.
Whenever a non-Werewolf creature dies, if it was dealt damage this turn, create a 2/2 red and green Werewolf creature token with haste.
2RG, Tap two Wolf or Werewolf creatures you control: this enchantment becomes a 5/5 legendary God creature until end of turn.

ULA - 6
Legendary Artifact Creature - God MR
Indestructible
Unless an opponent has 12 or more cards in exile, ULA isn't a creature.
When ULA enters the battlefield, exile target permanent.
Whenever a creature attacks an opponent or a planeswalker they control, exile the top 2 cards of that opponent's library.
9/9

DeTess
2021-01-06, 12:47 PM
All of the words on this card work, but they don't accomplish what I think you intended them to. As written, both of the damage effects are triggered abilities that would go on the stack after damage is dealt. Let's look at each one against the gods they seem to be targeted at:
1. "Lose indestructible" vs. the indestructible gods. Since they're indestructible at the time the damage was dealt, the deathtouch won't "work." The relevant rule is "702.2b A creature with toughness greater than 0 that’s been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action." They'll still lose indestructible, and potentially die if they were dealt damage greater than their toughness, but they won't get deathtouched to death.
2. "Lose all abilities" vs. the Scarab/Locust god and eternalized Amonkhet gods. Their "hard-to-kill"-ness comes from death triggers. Those will still go on the stack, so when the "remove all abilities" ability resolves, it will be too late to stop their recursion ability.

You could change the triggers to "Creatures blocking or blocked by..." to get around those issues, but then it would only work in combat and not on fighting, pinging, etc.

Hmmm. It seems you're right and that's annoying. Why can't the game just do what i need it to do! XD

I still like the general concept, but I'll have to change the effect a bit then to get it to work as intended

Quiddle
2021-01-06, 02:48 PM
Ascension WW
Sorcery MR
Return target legendary creature with a converted mana cost of less than or equal to the number of creatures you control from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature is indestructible, a God Enchantment in addition to its other types, and has "As long as you control less creatures than this enchantment's converted mana cost, this enchantment is not a creature."

Kapow
2021-01-07, 04:55 AM
Ascension WW
Sorcery MR
Return target legendary creature with a converted mana cost of less than or equal to the number of creatures you control from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature is indestructible, a God in addition to its other types, and has "As long as you control less creatures than this permanent's converted mana cost, this permanent is not a creature."

I think you need to specify, what the card is instead of a creature (probably an enchantment?)

ben-zayb
2021-01-09, 02:12 AM
Cannyth, Roof of the World
Legendary Land Creature - Mountain God M
Indestructible, Double Strike
~ isn't a creature unless you control three or more Mountains.
T, Sacrifice another land: Add RR. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
2/2

mythmonster2
2021-01-13, 12:44 AM
I will give 24 hours for more submissions, then judging will be done.

EDIT: Submissions are now closed, judging will be up tomorrow.

mythmonster2
2021-01-16, 12:40 AM
Godslayer 1B
Artifact - equipment R
Equipped creature has Deathtouch.

T: Target creature loses indestructible until end of turn. If that creature is a God creature it loses all abilities until end of turn instead. If the targeted creature leaves the battlefield this turn, untap ~.

Equip 2

There aren’t any equipments that can be tapped, though it is supported by the rules. This is a flavorful card, and I like that I can be useful even when not up against a god, and that it can be useful against all gods by removing their abilities. I’m not totally sure on the necessity of the untap clause, though, since it’s not often that opponents will have multiple gods.

Divine Spark
Creature- Illusion U
Mutate 3
This is an enchantment and god, in addition to its other types and subtypes.
If this creature is a demigod, it is indestructible.
If this creature is a nightmare or an illusion, it has shadow and hexproof.
0/0
This is a very strange card. On any creature that’s not one of the chosen types, this does basically nothing, and might even make the card weaker by opening it up to enchantment removal. It’s useful on a demigod, but we only have 5 of those. Shadow is a weird choice for the nightmares and illusions; it’s been a while since we’ve seen it. This card just seems a bit too specific to be useful, even in a deck with the chosen creature types.

Chromatic Apotheosis 3
Sorcery R
Chromatic Apotheosis is all colors.
Spend only colored mana to cast Chromatic Apotheosis
Exile a creature you control, then search your library for a God card that shares a color with that creature and place it onto the battlefield under your control. Shuffle your library.
This could be pretty good, even with the sacrifice and colored mana clauses. It’d probably be safer with a nontoken clause on the exiling ability, so that you are actually put down a card in exchange for the god.

Deific Display 1UU
Instant - U

Reveal a creature card that has the God type in your hand. Tap a number of permanents target player controls equal to that card's converted mana cost.

'Oh. My. God.'
- Unnamed Acolyte
This is a very narrow card, and one that’s a bit self-contradictory. You want gods in your deck, but you don’t want to cast them, or else you might draw this card and be unable to use it. This should be able to do something if you don’t have a god in hand.

6/6

This is a very flavorful design, turning the gods’ devotion against them. The power level seems alright; dependent on whether your opponent is playing a mono-colored deck or not. This would be a fine titan.

Zealous Apostate 1W
Creature - Human U
Each players devotion to every color is 0.
"The gods have no power but what we give them. So give them none."
1/3
A nice hatebear (well, not really a bear) that could see play if a devotion deck becomes popular. Shutting down Nykthos in eternal formats is probably the biggest draw. Still, this could probably have some kind of secondary ability, like Lifelink or something, so that it’s not just a vanilla card in most cases.

Karametra, Full of Plenty 3WG
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God M
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to green and white is less than seven, Karametra isn’t a creature.
Whenever you tap a Plains or Forest for mana, add an additional mana that land could produce.
Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may pay X, where X is the creatures casting cost, if you do create a token, that is a copy of the creature.
5/6
Karameta the doubler! The mana doubling is potent, but not that much more than, say, Mirari’s Wake. I love the second ability and how it synergizes with the first, and it probably have some strong combos to look out for. This could be on the strong side, but I’d love to make a commander deck out of this.

ULA - 6
Legendary Artifact Creature - God MR
Indestructible
Unless an opponent has 12 or more cards in exile, ULA isn't a creature.
When ULA enters the battlefield, exile target permanent.
Whenever a creature attacks an opponent or a planeswalker they control, exile the top 2 cards of that opponent's library.
9/9
An interesting card. I was a bit wary about exile a permanent for 6 generic, but for just 1 more you can get Karn who can potentially do it twice, and Scour From Existence, which is an instant. I think this could be alright. The secondary ability is a flavor win by working well with the Eldrazi processors, but probably won’t be much use to you except turning on ULA. For the price, I think this could be fine.

Ascension WW
Sorcery MR
Return target legendary creature with a converted mana cost of less than or equal to the number of creatures you control from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature is indestructible, a God Enchantment in addition to its other types, and has "As long as you control less creatures than this enchantment's converted mana cost, this enchantment is not a creature."
This is an interesting form of recursion. I feel like you’d probably mostly want to use it on creatures with good ETBs or passive effects, so that you can guarantee some value out of it. I think the limit on the reanimation will prevent this from being broken, so this has a good power level.

Cannyth, Roof of the World
Legendary Land Creature - Mountain God M
Indestructible, Double Strike
~ isn't a creature unless you control three or more Mountains.
T, Sacrifice another land: Add RR. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
2/2
Oh, the poor judges. Dryad Arbor is bad enough, but now it’s a god, too? Rules issues aside, this seems broken to me. In Red Deck Wins, this is just always gonna be on past turn 3, and a free 2/2 indestructible double strike that can get even bigger is really good. If you want to keep this as a land god, this should probably have a much higher land requirement to become a creature, maybe something like 6 mountains.

Kapow, with Karametra! Congratuations!
Honorable mentions to Quiddle's Ascension, and Tom the Mime's Zealous Apostate.

Kapow
2021-01-16, 09:34 AM
Kapow, with Karametra! Congratuations!
Honorable mentions to Quiddle's Ascension, and Tom the Mime's Zealous Apostate.

Wow!
Thanks a lot.
I didn't expect that.

For the next week, because Kaldheim is near, make a card that is METAL

Quiddle
2021-01-16, 03:21 PM
Long Forgotten Mine
Land R
At the beginning of your upkeep if Long Forgotten Mine has 4 or more unearth counters on it transform it.
T: add 1 then put an unearth counter on Long Forgotten Mine.

//
They Came From Bellow
Enchantment (black color indicator)
XX, Pay X life: Create X 1/1 black skeleton tokens. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.

Tom the Mime
2021-01-16, 05:13 PM
I was a bit antsy about putting anything else on it as it would already be precarious in any set that wasn't straight to modern. If devotion is a big feature in a set, having a card that turns it off can be iffy as far as set design goes even if the gods having non devotion abilities mitigates this. Having it playable for a reason other than devotion felt like it would definitely detract from a set too much rather than just probably.

Iron Shod Card Sleeves 2
Artifact - Equipment U (Un)
~ enters the battlefield with 3 charge counters.
Remove a charge counter from ~: Equipped creature gains indestructible until the end of the turn
Equip 1
"Look, I can see where the card is in your deck"
"What if I put it on all of them?"
"... how will you shuffle?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-01-16, 08:30 PM
Bloodrocute - 2R
Instant - C
When you cast Bloodrocute, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Bloodrocute deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
-
Wait now what did they say /
About the human body and proportions of things? /
Blood is an / energy conductor /
I am full of that / all I need is an outlet
- Metalocalypse, Bloodrocuted

Personification
2021-01-16, 11:30 PM
Frosted Myr 2
Snow Artifact Creature - Myr C
T: Add {c}
"When Vorinclex crossed the planes, he brought a snack."
1/1

ben-zayb
2021-01-17, 08:56 AM
Magnetic Plating 2
Artifact - Equipment U
Whenever equipped creature attacks, attach another target Equipment to it. (Control of the Equipment doesn't change.)
Equipped creature gets +2/+0 for each Equipment attached to it.
Equip 4

Personification
2021-01-17, 12:09 PM
Graviton Blade 2
Artifact - Equipment U
Whenever equipped creature attacks, attach each Equipment to it.
Equip 4

Is this supposed to steal stuff, because it does.

mystic1110
2021-01-17, 12:17 PM
High-Strung Axe 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +2/+0.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player you may put a music counter on target creature that player controls. If it doesn’t have “At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy this creature unless you pay {1} for each music counter on it,” it gains that ability.
Equip {2}

Personification
2021-01-17, 12:33 PM
High-Strung Axe 2
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +2/+0.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player you may put a music counter on target creature that player controls. If it doesn’t have “At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy this creature unless you pay {1} for each music counter on it,” it gains that ability.
Equip {2}

Live from the Tabernacle, it's the Musical Mystics of Pendrell Vale! :smallbiggrin:

mystic1110
2021-01-17, 12:40 PM
Live from the Tabernacle, it's the Musical Mystics of Pendrell Vale! :smallbiggrin:

Hahaha! It was the only music related counter I found (https://scryfall.com/card/me2/56/musician) :smallsmile:

Tom the Mime
2021-01-17, 01:13 PM
Is this supposed to steal stuff, because it does.
It kind of does in effect because it's repeatable but not really because they keep control of their own equipments and can reattach them to something else, even if they'll probably get stolen again the next turn.

Laughing Dog
2021-01-17, 04:58 PM
Drunken Dwarves RR
Creature- Dwarf R
Protection from Humans, Dragons, Trolls, and Elves.
"No one is welcome in a tavern full of drunken dwarves"-
Windrose, Drunken Dwarves
2/2

ben-zayb
2021-01-18, 01:01 PM
Is this supposed to steal stuff, because it does. Equipment controller doesn't change and they can reequip it to their creatures during theur turn, if that's what you meant. Though I may have to rebalance this, because attaching all equipments can be too much for generic mana uncommon.

Necroticplague
2021-01-20, 03:18 PM
High-Amp Amp 1RRR
Legendary Artifact R
R,discard a card:Deal 3 damage to any target.
R, exile the top card of your library: deal 2 damage to any target

mythmonster2
2021-01-22, 04:52 PM
Krigax, Crafted Hatred 2BBBB
Legendary Artifact Creature- Demon (R)
Flying, Trample
T, sacrifice a creature, discard a card, pay 2 life: Each opponent sacrifices two creatures, discards two cards, and loses 4 life. Activate this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.
It was created with one command: "Destroy my enemies, at any cost."
7/6

Personification
2021-01-25, 12:42 PM
Judge[sic]ment?

Personification
2021-01-28, 03:18 PM
Uh, Kapow? Are you there?

mythmonster2
2021-02-01, 12:30 PM
So, what do we want to do? Maybe choose a winner among ourselves, like with some kind of ranking system?

mystic1110
2021-02-01, 01:01 PM
I can bow out and provided judgment later tonight - if that works, so we can move forward.

Personification
2021-02-01, 07:13 PM
No objection here.

mystic1110
2021-02-01, 07:42 PM
Okay . . . .

Here's my impromptu guest judging!

Krigax, Crafted Hatred 2BBBB
Legendary Artifact Creature- Demon (R)
Flying, Trample
T, sacrifice a creature, discard a card, pay 2 life: Each opponent sacrifices two creatures, discards two cards, and loses 4 life. Activate this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.
It was created with one command: "Destroy my enemies, at any cost."
7/6An absolute unit! Definitely pushed and terrifying in a multiplayer game, I think it's actually well balanced for its cost and speed. You got to be okay with such a large target on you though if you don't manage to give this haste.

High-Amp Amp 1RRR
Legendary Artifact R
R,discard a card:Deal 3 damage to any target.
R, exile the top card of your library: deal 2 damage to any targetI think turning every card in your hand into a bolt is a pretty strong effect. That said, every card that abuses these types of thing doesn't have a mana cost associated with its activated ability.

Drunken Dwarves RR
Creature- Dwarf R
Protection from Humans, Dragons, Trolls, and Elves.
"No one is welcome in a tavern full of drunken dwarves"-
Windrose, Drunken Dwarves
2/2I like this a lot - would have been great in the D&D set we just recently had

Magnetic Plating 2
Artifact - Equipment U
Whenever equipped creature attacks, attach another target Equipment to it. (Control of the Equipment doesn't change.)
Equip 4This is hilarious - and I think balanced - you would probably only steel equipment once - people don't really spam equipment and they would avvoid playing anymore until they deal with this.

Frosted Myr 2
Snow Artifact Creature - Myr C
T: Add {c}
"When Vorinclex crossed the planes, he brought a snack."
1/1Snow myr is snow myr and probably should have been printed already

Bloodrocute - 2R
Instant - C
When you cast Bloodrocute, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Bloodrocute deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker.
-
Wait now what did they say /
About the human body and proportions of things? /
Blood is an / energy conductor /
I am full of that / all I need is an outlet
- Metalocalypse, BloodrocutedThis is a very interesting common for red - I think shrapnel blast is the most similar card in terms of damage output for the cost but it doesn't really compare to this one's versatility.

Iron Shod Card Sleeves 2
Artifact - Equipment U (Un)
~ enters the battlefield with 3 charge counters.
Remove a charge counter from ~: Equipped creature gains indestructible until the end of the turn
Equip 1
"Look, I can see where the card is in your deck"
"What if I put it on all of them?"
"... how will you shuffle?"This is quite interesting, especially since the cards you would want indestructible against are probably instants - or you would want it as a combat trick. This doesn't let you do that so unsure of how it would be used.

Long Forgotten Mine
Land R
At the beginning of your upkeep if Long Forgotten Mine has 4 or more unearth counters on it transform it.
T: add 1 then put an unearth counter on Long Forgotten Mine.

//
They Came From Bellow
Enchantment (black color indicator)
XX, Pay X life: Create X 1/1 black skeleton tokens. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.This is quite flavorful, but I think you could have gotten away with a lot more. As it is without ramp, you're flipping this turn 4, and then using it just for 2 measly 1/1s. You can wait longer - but not sure it would be worth it.

ME! Mystic1110! Muhahahaha

No . . . wait, I'm out :smallfrown:

The real winner is

Mythmonster with Krigax, Crafted Hatred

Quiddle
2021-02-02, 02:37 PM
Thanks for judging! :)

mythmonster2
2021-02-02, 04:55 PM
Thank you for the win! For the next challenge, make a card from Strixhaven! We don't know anything about it yet except that it has modal double-faced cards, so delve into mechanics past, make up your own, or make a card that just feels like it belongs in a wizard school.

LaZodiac
2021-02-02, 05:43 PM
Professor Gitaxias, General Studies 3UU
Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Praetor
Flash, Flying
Whenever you would draw any number of cards, draw that many plus one.
Whenever your opponent would draw any number of cards greater than one, they draw that many minus one.
4/5
One lesson, and his students feel more... compleat.

If Vorinclex is gonna show up in Kaldheim as a Grendal analoge, Professor Jin-Gitaxias is gonna be this year at Strixhaven's new teacher. That's my prediction.

I've also adjusted it so that it does what Vorinclex does, suppressing the themes of the plane (in this case, card draw, which feels like something Strixhaven will do a lot of since it feels scholarly).

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-02-02, 09:19 PM
Kite-Eating Tree - 1GG
Creature - Plant C
Defender, Reach
-
We used to call it the Spanking Spruce, but Professor Larix started docking us points because it's technically a true pine.
5/3

mystic1110
2021-02-02, 10:10 PM
Thanks for judging! :)

Happy to do it! The game above self :smalltongue:

ben-zayb
2021-02-03, 05:39 AM
Gertrud, the Tamperer WU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard R
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a nonland card name.
Spells with the chosen name can't be cast.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, you may pay WU. If you do, exile target nonland permanent they control. Until end if turn, its owner may cast it from exile.
2/2

mystic1110
2021-02-03, 11:36 AM
Spellcasting Practice Dummy 0
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (U)
Flash
When Spellcasting Practice Dummy enters the battlefield you may counter target instant or sorcery spell. If a spell is countered this way, exile it. Until end of turn that spell's controller may cast it from exile without paying its mana cost and while that player is choosing targets as part of casting that spell, they must choose Spellcasting Practice Dummy if able.
"You think we let them practice "Lighting Bolt" on real people?"
0/1

Massively Simplified.

Quiddle
2021-02-03, 06:14 PM
Sonic Specialist 1WR
Creature - Human Wizard U
When Sonic Specialist enters the battlefield it deals 2 damage to target player or planeswalker. Players dealt damage this way can't cast spells this turn, planeswalkers dealt damage this way can't activate loyalty abilities until the end of their controller's next turn.
2/2
"Peace and quiet was never an option!"

Necroticplague
2021-02-04, 10:46 PM
Inventive Testaker 1UB
Creature-Rogue Wizard U
Changeling
Whenever an opponent shuffles their library, look at the top two cards of their library. Exile one of them face-down. You may look at and play this card for as long as it remains exiled, and may spend mana as though it were of any color to cast it.
“Cheating is such an ugly word. I prefer to think of it as using nonstandard skill sets to arrive at the right answers.”
1/3

DeTess
2021-02-05, 12:13 PM
Bitey Book RU
artifact creature - construct U
T: Choose target player. Until end of turn, if that player would draw a card, instead they skip that draw unless they pay 1 life.
1/1

I'm really uncertain about the wording on this one, or whether it's even possible what I'm trying to do. The intent should be clear at least

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-02-05, 02:40 PM
Bitey Book RU
T: until end of turn, whenever target player has to draw one or more cards, they may pay 1 life for each card to be drawn. If they don't, they forgo that draw.
1/1

I'm really uncertain about the wording on this one, or whether it's even possible what I'm trying to do. The intent should be clear at least

I think I get it, yeah. "Choose target player. Until end of turn, if that player would draw a card, instead they skip that draw unless they pay 1 life."

Misothene
2021-02-05, 03:04 PM
Strix Haven 2U
Enchantment- U
Bird creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay 1. If you do, create a 1/1 Bird creature token with flying.

DeTess
2021-02-05, 03:33 PM
I think I get it, yeah. "Choose target player. Until end of turn, if that player would draw a card, instead they skip that draw unless they pay 1 life."

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I meant but worded way more clearly.

Personification
2021-02-05, 05:38 PM
Kasmina, Dean of Transmutation 3UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Kasmina
+1: Create a 2/2 blue Wizard creature token. Scry x, where x is the number of Wizards you control.
-2: Target creature loses all abilities and has base power and toughness 0/1 until the end of your next turn. Draw a card.
-5: You get an emblem with "Spells your opponents cast that target you or a Wizard or Kasmina permanent you control cost 2 more to cast. Instant, sorcery, Wizard, and Kasmina cards you cast cost 2 less to cast."

Kapow
2021-02-08, 11:03 AM
Hello you all,
I am very sorry for ghosting this thread and leave you all hanging :'(
I had some bad weeks (family stuff) and couldn't get myself to write something.

It is slightly better now, but I won't post here in the foreseeable future, as kind of a consequence.

Sorry again

Personification
2021-02-08, 10:46 PM
Hello you all,
I am very sorry for ghosting this thread and leave you all hanging :'(
I had some bad weeks (family stuff) and couldn't get myself to write something.

It is slightly better now, but I won't post here in the foreseeable future, as kind of a consequence.

Sorry again

Totally fine. Nobody expects you to put some random forumers and their fake cards ahead of real life.

mythmonster2
2021-02-09, 07:06 PM
I'll give 24 hours for submissions, before starting judging.

EDIT: Submissions are now closed, judging should be up tomorrow.

Personification
2021-02-12, 10:55 AM
Uh, mythmonster2?

mythmonster2
2021-02-12, 02:51 PM
Professor Gitaxias, General Studies 3UU
Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Praetor
Flash, Flying
Whenever you would draw any number of cards, draw that many plus one.
Whenever your opponent would draw any number of cards greater than one, they draw that many minus one.
4/5
One lesson, and his students feel more... compleat.

Oh man, you got Professor G? He’s such a hard grader. I quite like this incarnation of Jin-Gitaxias, quite a bit cheaper and not nearly as oppressive, which is a good thing. He makes it harder to find an answer for him, and provides a solid source of card advantage, but doesn’t feel like he’d be bad to play aginst. Good work on the parallels to Vorinclex, too!

Kite-Eating Tree - 1GG
Creature - Plant C
Defender, Reach
-
We used to call it the Spanking Spruce, but Professor Larix started docking us points because it's technically a true pine.
5/3
This is a rather aggressive blocker, and will probably be able to trade with creatures up to the 6 drop slot. It might get a little annoying in limited at common, but at the end of the day, it is a defender, so I think it would be alright. And a good reference, as well.

Gertrud, the Tamperer WU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard R
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a nonland card name.
Spells with the chosen name can't be cast.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, you may pay WU. If you do, exile target nonland permanent they control. Until end if turn, its owner may cast it from exile.
2/2
This is a very meddlesome mage! Two mana to effectively lock down any creature without haste or a non-tap activated ability is pretty good, though it does get significantly worse against ETB creatures, which have been getting really good lately. Or, use it to abuse your own ETBs. I think them having to recast the permanent that turn might be a little too oppressive, so maybe switch it to “as long as the card remains exiled, they may cast it”, but I don’t have much experience with prison decks.

Spellcasting Practice Dummy 0
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (U)
Flash
When Spellcasting Practice Dummy enters the battlefield you may counter target instant or sorcery spell. If a spell is countered this way, exile it. Until end of turn that spell's controller may cast it from exile without paying its mana cost and while that player is choosing targets as part of casting that spell, they must choose Spellcasting Practice Dummy if able.
"You think we let them practice "Lighting Bolt" on real people?"
0/1

A zero mana counter a targeted spell seems like a card that just shouldn’t be printed. Free cards are very often problematic, and a colorless counterspell on its own is an issue, even if it is narrow. This needs to have a mana cost with blue in it.

Sonic Specialist 1WR
Creature - Human Wizard U
When Sonic Specialist enters the battlefield it deals 2 damage to target player or planeswalker. Players dealt damage this way can't cast spells this turn, planeswalkers dealt damage this way can't activate loyalty abilities until the end of their controller's next turn.
2/2
"Peace and quiet was never an option!"
I like the versatility on this card; either an anti-control spell to protect another spell you cast this turn, or a planeswalker hate card. This totally seems like something that could get printed!

Inventive Testaker 1UB
Creature-Rogue Wizard U
Changeling
Whenever an opponent shuffles their library, look at the top two cards of their library. Exile one of them face-down. You may look at and play this card for as long as it remains exiled, and may spend mana as though it were of any color to cast it.
“Cheating is such an ugly word. I prefer to think of it as using nonstandard skill sets to arrive at the right answers.”
1/3
This is a pretty neat card! Not oppressive, but lets you get some value off your opponents’ tutors and fetches. Definitely seems like it’d be a solid card in Commander, with all the shuffling that goes on there and multiple players to steal from.

Bitey Book RU
T: Choose target player. Until end of turn, if that player would draw a card, instead they skip that draw unless they pay 1 life.
1/1

So, at its most basic, it deals 1 damage to an opponent a turn. I like the idea, though I’m a little worried of how it’d feel when your opponent gets down to five or less life and you cast this. It could potentially just lock them out of the game entirely. Of course, that’s usually a bad situation to be in, anyway, so I think this could be alright.

Strix Haven 2U
Enchantment- U
Bird creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay 1. If you do, create a 1/1 Bird creature token with flying.
A very nice pun, and a clean, fitting design. Roost of Drakes was a very strong limited card, though this can’t create a bird on its own, at least, and it weakens the birds if you take this out. Still, maybe bump up the mana cost just a bit, or make you pay blue instead of generic for the bird?

Kasmina, Dean of Transmutation 3UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Kasmina
+1: Create a 2/2 blue Wizard creature token. Scry x, where x is the number of Wizards you control.
-2: Target creature loses all abilities and has base power and toughness 0/1 until the end of your next turn. Draw a card.
-5: You get an emblem with "Spells your opponents cast that target you or a Wizard or Kasmina permanent you control cost 2 more to cast. Instant, sorcery, Wizard, and Kasmina cards you cast cost 2 less to cast."
Quite a value planeswalker! Making a creature every turn to protect itself is good, and though the ultimate isn’t win-the-game on the spot, it’s still quite easy to get to. The second ability is also solid. It feels just a bit overtuned, possibly reduce the starting loyalty or raise the ultimate cost by 1. It’s a very nice design, though, and fitting with what little we saw of her in War of the Spark.

Necroticplague, with Inventive Testaker! Congrats!
Honorable Mentions: Misothene, with Strix Haven, Quiddle with Sonic Specialist

Quiddle
2021-02-12, 03:31 PM
Thanks for judging! This was a fun prompt to make cards for!

Necroticplague
2021-02-13, 06:17 PM
Alright, did not expect that. Anyways:

A card you can cast from somewhere that isn’t your hand.

Tom the Mime
2021-02-13, 08:46 PM
Echoes Through Time UU
Instant - U
Exile target creature and return it to the battlefield under its owners control at the beginning of the next end step.
Rebound

Trying for something that is likely to have a very different goal on the rebound.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-02-14, 12:31 AM
Conclave Counselor - 1WWG
Creature - Elf Cleric R
T: Add two mana in any combination of colors.
Sacrifice Conclave Counselor: Choose target nontoken creature. You may cast that card from the battlefield this turn. It gains Flash until end of turn.
2/2

Personification
2021-02-14, 12:24 PM
Oracle of Fate and Time 1URG
[A woman with both the 4 arms of kruphix and the blindfold/thread motif of Klothys, surrounded by starry magic in blue, green, and red.]
Creature - Human Wizard R
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose up to two. If it was foretold, choose any number instead:

Scry 3.
Gain 3 life.
Deal 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker.

Foretell URG
3/3

Laughing Dog
2021-02-14, 03:52 PM
Teferi the Cheater 2WWUU
Legendary Planeswalker- Teferi MR
As long as ~ is exiled, you may cast spells you own in exile.
+1: Until the beginning of your next turn, your opponents may only cast spells when they could cast a sorcery.
-2:Until the beginning of your next turn, you may cast non-creature spells as though they had flash.
-8: Take an extra turn after this one.

mystic1110
2021-02-14, 04:31 PM
Unslumbered Recruit WR
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
While you’re searching your library, you may cast Unslumbered Recruit from your library.
"Hey, wait, I was just sleeping in bed, where am I? Oh, wait, no - am I in the army now?"
2/1

Tom the Mime
2021-02-14, 06:35 PM
Teferi the Cheater 2WWUU
+1: Until the beginning of your next turn, your opponents may only cast spells when they could cast a sorcery.
-2:Until the beginning of your next turn, you may cast non-creature spells as though they had flash.
This feels like it's crying out for a -1: Exile target permanent, then return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step. Thematic given Teferi's Time Twist and facilitates the static ability nicely.

As is this could still be absolutely brutal with False Memories and a bit of support (mill and rest in peace) in a self mill deck.

Personification
2021-02-14, 06:57 PM
Unslumbered Recruit WR
While you’re searching your library, you may cast Unslumbered Recruit from your library.
"Hey, wait, I was just sleeping in bed, where am I? Oh, wait, no - am I in the army now?"
2/1

Huh, I didn't know the panglacial wurm had a larval state. Also, from what I understand about panglacial wurm, if you tried to get this printed the rules manager would murder you.

mystic1110
2021-02-14, 08:29 PM
Huh, I didn't know the panglacial wurm had a larval state. Also, from what I understand about panglacial wurm, if you tried to get this printed the rules manager would murder you.

The rules manager can earn their paycheck :smalltongue:

ben-zayb
2021-02-14, 08:41 PM
Aethereal Abductor 4CCC
Creature - Eldrazi R
Suspend CCC—4
Remove a time counter from ~, CCC: Exile target creature until ~ leaves exile. Activate only as a sorcery.
Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, exile it with three time counters on it.
8/8

DeTess
2021-02-15, 01:12 PM
Storm of fire R
Instant R
Deal 1 damage to any target.
Until end of turn, you may cast cards called ~ from exile.
Exile ~.
'The tiniest spark can presage a real firestorm.'

Quiddle
2021-02-16, 01:48 PM
Kaya, the Ethereal 1WB
Legendary Planeswalker - Kaya MR
You may cast Kaya, the Ethereal from exile.
-1: At the beginning of your next upkeep exile Kaya, the Ethereal and target nonland permanent.
-2: Kaya, the Ethereal deals 3 damage to target player or planeswalker and you lose 3 life.

mythmonster2
2021-02-16, 04:33 PM
Embrace Nothingness B
Instant (R)
Discard your hand.

///

Learn from the Void 3UU
Instant
Aftermath
Draw three cards. If you have no cards in hand, instead scry 3, then draw three cards.

Stifled Lightning (Color indicator: Red)
Instant (R)
Stifled Lightning deals 3 damage to any target.
Cycling 2

The lack of mana cost is intentional: To cast this, you have to use something like Cascade, Snapcaster Mage, etc.

Edit: Oops, changed this just as judging went up. Oh well.

TurboGhast
2021-02-18, 03:40 AM
Paranoid Outburst 2W
Sorcery U
Exile target artifact or enchantment.
Madness - Tap a white creature you control.

Necroticplague
2021-02-21, 04:04 PM
Alright, one week over, let us commence with the judging.
Paranoid Outburst 2W
Sorcery U
Exile target artifact or enchantment.
Madness - Tap a white creature you control.
Interesting little pseudo-Conspire type effect. The fact it's strictly superior to already existing cards does leave a somewhat bad taste in the mouth, though.

Stifled Lightning (Color indicator: Red)
Instant (R)
Stifled Lightning deals 3 damage to any target.
Cycling 2

The lack of mana cost is intentional: To cast this, you have to use something like Cascade, Snapcaster Mage, etc.
I should disqualify this out of hand, since it doesn't have any intrinsic way to be cast from outside hand, but I'll humor you on this.

Effects like Snapcaster don't work-the only way you can cast this is by ignoring its mana cost. In which case, it's simply underwhelming, because most comparative spell gets more bang for buck. When you/re gonna compete with Hypergenesis and Living End for being what you cascade into, you're gonna have to do more than bolt. Or if you're trying to decide what to use Omniscience with, you're gonna go for something with way more bang.

Kaya, the Ethereal 1WB
Legendary Planeswalker - Kaya MR
You may cast Kaya, the Ethereal from exile.
-1: At the beginning of your next upkeep exile Kaya, the Ethereal and target nonland permanent.
-2: Kaya, the Ethereal deals 3 damage to target player or planeswalker and you lose 3 life.
Could probably do with being tuned down somehow-as it, this is just a superior (as in-potentially repeatable) Anguished Unmaking.

Storm of fire R
Instant R
Deal 1 damage to any target.
Until end of turn, you may cast cards called ~ from exile.
Exile ~.
'The tiniest spark can presage a real firestorm.'
As a mana sink for damage,a bit underwhelming. Cool concept, will only ever see play in combo decks with either Steam-kin or Birgi decks where it just insta-wins turn 4

Aethereal Abductor 4CCC
Creature - Eldrazi R
Suspend CCC—4
Remove a time counter from ~, CCC: Exile target creature until ~ leaves exile. Activate only as a sorcery.
Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, exile it with three time counters on it.
8/8 Seems kinda clunky to use. Only three counters makes it kinda short to be solving a problem of enemy blockrs, and the sorcery speed restriction seems to make it risky to use on your own stuff. It's also just really mana intensive, espeially considering for much needs to be colorless

Unslumbered Recruit WR
2/1
Two colors to fail the vanilla test seems to be a bit harsh, even if it does deck thin while doing so. Considering this probably doesn't start until turn 3, just seems really underwhelming.

Teferi the Cheater 2WWUU
3Ouch. Clunky to use, given it's 6 mana and needs something else to exile it, but that effect could make for an abolutely backbreaking control deck, considering how much 'then exile it' is used to put a cap on recycling things. Especially since anything with Flashback could basically be re-used forever. Also, probably plays a little too well with all the 'extra turn-exile this' cards like Temporal Mastery.

Oracle of Fate and Time 1URG
[A woman with both the 4 arms of kruphix and the blindfold/thread motif of Klothys, surrounded by starry magic in blue, green, and red.]
Creature - Human Wizard R
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose up to two. If it was foretold, choose any number instead:

Scry 3.
Gain 3 life.
Deal 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker.

Foretell URG
3/3
Not too much to say here. Respectable enough to hardcast normally, and very efficient when foretold. Not quiete enough to make foretelling and casting immedeately worth it, but a dang good three-drop. And kudos for not making the same mistake wotc made when they put drawing three on the same level as healing 3 or dealing 3 :smalltongue:

Conclave Counselor - 1WWG
Creature - Elf Cleric R
T: Add two mana in any combination of colors.
Sacrifice Conclave Counselor: Choose target nontoken creature. You may cast that card from the battlefield this turn. It gains Flash until end of turn.
2/2Like the idea of casting from the battlefield as a interesting take on flicker. Just seems really off in those colors, since it basically acts as either a flicker (which green doesn't do), or an inefficient steal effect (which neither color really does).
Also, clever with how it's mana-dorkiness works with using it as a steal-lets you make opponent's colors to cast their stuff.

Echoes Through Time UU
Instant - U
Exile target creature and return it to the battlefield under its owners control at the beginning of the next end step.
Rebound

Trying for something that is likely to have a very different goal on the rebound.
As you pointed out, the fact the rebound will likely do differing things each time, despite the same effect, is a clever little bit there. Being an instant also really adds to the flexibility in that way.

Tom the Mime with Echoes through Time

Laughing Dog
2021-02-21, 05:42 PM
Ouch. Clunky to use, given it's 6 mana and needs something else to exile it, but that effect could make for an abolutely backbreaking control deck, considering how much 'then exile it' is used to put a cap on recycling things. Especially since anything with Flashback could basically be re-used forever. Also, probably plays a little too well with all the 'extra turn-exile this' cards like Temporal Mastery.

It's actually meant to be a little clunky, as it is supposed to be the equivalent of a planeswalker-deck 'walker. And, yes it would make for a rather mean control deck with the right setup, but if the person playing against control lets control get setup, that's slightly on them. I also didn't give it a way to self exile for a reason.

TurboGhast
2021-02-21, 06:14 PM
Interesting little pseudo-Conspire type effect. The fact it's strictly superior to already existing cards does leave a somewhat bad taste in the mouth, though.

The card appears fair to me because the card it's strictly better than (https://scryfall.com/card/emn/32/ironwrights-cleansing) has itself been upstaged by strictly (https://scryfall.com/card/2xm/28/revoke-existence) better (https://scryfall.com/card/dtk/17/fate-forgotten) cards (https://scryfall.com/card/akh/13/forsake-the-worldly) before. Compared to those cards, it'd be a side grade that some, but not all, decks would prefer. We might be operating on different assumptions of how easy getting a discard outlet is, too.

Still, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to nerf the card. In fact, I considered making it an instant but decided against it because needing a discard outlet for instant speed made the card less powerful and more interesting to play against.

Tom the Mime
2021-02-21, 08:02 PM
It's actually meant to be a little clunky, as it is supposed to be the equivalent of a planeswalker-deck 'walker. And, yes it would make for a rather mean control deck with the right setup, but if the person playing against control lets control get setup, that's slightly on them. I also didn't give it a way to self exile for a reason.

The setup can be crazy fast though with things like false memories, rest in peace/tormod's crypt, any number of cheap self mill or even force of will/commandeer as a free counterspells that also lets you set up your exiled cards.

Anyway, onto the challenge: Make an aura

Quiddle
2021-02-23, 03:40 AM
Subservience 1W
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant permanent.
Enchanted permanent has "This permanent does not untap during its owner's upkeep unless they discard a card."
As long as enchanted permanent is tapped it cannot activate abilities.

ben-zayb
2021-02-23, 05:24 AM
Thirst for Violence 1R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+0 and has "Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, it fights another target creature you control."

mystic1110
2021-02-23, 08:23 AM
Unrecognized Genius (U/R)
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature becomes tapped mill four cards and then exile a card at random from your graveyard. Until end of turn, you may play that card.

Personification
2021-02-23, 12:25 PM
Is it weird that the first three of these were effectively arrest variants/discourage attacking?

Cage of Nettles BBB
Enchantment - Aura Curse U
Enchant player
Whenever a creature enchanted player controls attacks, that player loses 1 life and each of their opponents gains 1 life.
"You are free to approach me whenever you please," taunted the fae from behind an impenetrable film of fragile thorns.
...in my defense, I wrote the comment at the top of the post before I designed the card, and I didn't realize what I had done until I was finished.

somethingrandom
2021-02-25, 12:44 PM
Nurturing Growth GG
Enchantment Aura - R
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature gains "XG:Put X +1/+1 counters on this creature"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-02-25, 05:46 PM
Going Ham - B
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchanted creature has Menace.
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.

mythmonster2
2021-02-25, 06:31 PM
Conclave's Blessing 1WG
Enchantment- Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Conclave's Blessing enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Plant creature token.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, populate.

Laughing Dog
2021-02-25, 08:58 PM
Exile Order 1WUB
Enchantment- Aura R
Enchant Permanent
If enchanted permanent or ~ would leave the battlefield, instead exile both of them.
As long as ~ is exiled, cards cannot leave exile.
And stay out!

Personification
2021-03-01, 01:14 PM
Judgement?

Tom the Mime
2021-03-01, 06:03 PM
Subservience 1W
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant permanent.
Enchanted permanent has "This permanent does not untap during its owner's upkeep unless they discard a card."
As long as enchanted permanent is tapped it's activated abilities cannot be activated.
Cheaper arrest at the cost of them being able to use the creature when they really need to. Solid design but not much more to say.

Thirst for Violence 1R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+0 and has "Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, it fights another target creature you control."
Interesting design. Feels like the primary use would be on your own creature while you have goblin tokens to throw at it or pushing for a brash taunter/stuffy doll but depending on the field it could turn into a weird form of pacifism.

Unrecognized Genius (U/R)
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature becomes tapped mill four cards and then exile a card at random from your graveyard. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
I'm not sure but this feels like it could get out off hand. The amount of repeatable self mill feels like this might be too good in certain decks with the chance of getting an extra card to cast being the icing on the cake.

Is it weird that the first three of these were effectively arrest variants/discourage attacking?

Cage of Nettles BBB
Enchantment - Aura Curse U
Enchant player
Whenever a creature enchanted player controls attacks, that player loses 1 life and each of their opponents gains 1 life.
"You are free to approach me whenever you please," taunted the fae from behind an impenetrable film of fragile thorns.
...in my defense, I wrote the comment at the top of the post before I designed the card, and I didn't realize what I had done until I was finished.
So it's basically Revenge of Ravens for BBB instead of 3B? And slight tweaks for multiplayer. Not much more to say really

Nurturing Growth GG
Enchantment Aura - R
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature gains "XG:Put X +1/+1 counters on this creature"
Compared with firebreathing effects, even though it costs more, it feels like it should have another downside given it's more permanent. I think I'd like it more if the activation was only at sorcery speed but it might just be me.

Going Ham - B
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchanted creature has Menace.
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.
Cheap menace with a boost along the lines of the Eldraine theme. Probably okay given black isn't the best at double casting in a turn.

Conclave's Blessing 1WG
Enchantment- Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Conclave's Blessing enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Plant creature token.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, populate.
Probably okay. It feels like it's a bit of a win more card as if you can get it to deal combat damage and have something worth populating, you're probably pretty solid already. Might change on something with evasion though.

Exile Order 1WUB
Enchantment- Aura R
Enchant Permanent
If enchanted permanent or ~ would leave the battlefield, instead exile both of them.
As long as ~ is exiled, cards cannot leave exile.
And stay out!
Feels weird in that it does very little to start with and unless you can sac an enchantment, you'll be losing card advantage and tempo playing this. It makes flicker effects just exile but given it doesn't play nice with cards that synergise with flicker normally means you'd only be running one or the other. Also shuts down reckless draws and special casts but I can't see that being enough even for sideboarding because it still needs setup before it can actually stop things.

And the winner is:
ben-zayb with Thirst for Violence

Quiddle
2021-03-01, 07:56 PM
You didn't comment on this so I thought I would point out that my card can be played on any permanent. Thanks for judging.

Edit: Thanks! Yeah, probably better as enchant non-land permanent.

Tom the Mime
2021-03-01, 08:16 PM
You didn't comment on this so I thought I would point out that my card can be played on any permanent. Thanks for judging.
Missed that and that actually shifts my analysis to that it's a bad design because 2 mana land disruption is insane, especially when it has an alternate arrest mode for if their mana base is secure. If it was changed to a non-land permanent, we're more or less back at the initial judgement.

mythmonster2
2021-03-04, 11:04 AM
ben-zayb, any new challenge?

ben-zayb
2021-03-04, 03:51 PM
Oops, I didn't even realize.

Next round's challenge: Showcase new mechanics for a wedge set

To clarify: the flavor doesn't have to be tied to Tarkir or Ikoria

mythmonster2
2021-03-04, 05:10 PM
Dragon Hunt WBG
Instant (R)
Destroy target creature, then create a number of Scale tokens equal to that creature's mana value. (It's a colorless artifact token with "1, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.")

Novice Scaletaker 1G
Creature- Hound Archer (C)
Reach
When Novice Scaletaker enters the battlefield, create a Scale token.
1/1

Spoils of the Hunt 1BB
Enchantment (U)
Whenever a creature dies, create a Scale token.

Personification
2021-03-04, 06:20 PM
Aethertouched Oracle URG
Creature - Elemental Advisor U
Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, choose one:
-Elemental creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
-Scry 1.
"To survive the future, we must anticipate it."
2/2

Aethertouched Lavaguide 2R
Haste
Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, another target elemental you control gets +1/+1 and gains haste until end of turn.
To survive the future, we must be swift.
2/2

Aethertouched Cloudguide 2U
Flying
Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, another target elemental you control gets +1/+1 and gains flying until end of turn.
"To survive the future, we must be nimble."
2/2

Aethertouched Forestguide 2G
Trample
Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, another target elemental you control gets +1/+1 and gains trample until end of turn.
"To survive the future, we must be strong."
2/2

ben-zayb
2021-03-04, 09:56 PM
I added a little bit of clarification in the initial post. For those who want to explore other wedge themes, go for it.

Quiddle
2021-03-05, 01:02 PM
So the card is for a wedge set but that doesn't mean it has to be three color right? We can make a mono colored card and just explain what wedge it is a part of?

Tom the Mime
2021-03-05, 06:04 PM
Resourceful Apprentice U/G
Creature - Human U
Siphon 1 - Create a treasure token (Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay 1. If you do, create a treasure token.)
1/1

General form is:

Siphon X - Effect (Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay X. If you do, Effect.)

This ability is for a BUG wedge, thematically UB for siphoning away the strength of opponents spells for your own use and G for boosting yourself with that strength. Others examples that could be in a set include:

Siphon 1 - Tap target creature
Siphon 1 - Untap target creature
Siphon 1 - Gain 2 life
Siphon 1 - ~ gains hexproof until end of turn.
Siphon 1 - Counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1
Siphon 2 - Create a 2/2 green and blue elemental token
Siphon 2 - Put 2 +1/+1 counters on ~
Siphon 2 - Target player discards a card
Siphon 2 - ~ becomes a copy of target creature
Siphon 3 - Draw a card
Siphon 3 - Copy target spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

The actual cost of each siphon would need to be balanced along with the base stats and cost of the card it's on and ones like the counters could appear multiple times. Mechanically leading stronger towards blue than the others but there's still green and black stuff there. The wedge design would also have a healthy serving of flash given siphon wants you to have mana open on your opponents turn and these are the colors flash is primary and secondary in.

ben-zayb
2021-03-05, 11:14 PM
So the card is for a wedge set but that doesn't mean it has to be three color right? We can make a mono colored card and just explain what wedge it is a part of?
Pretty much, yes.

Quiddle
2021-03-06, 04:09 AM
My shard is WBG zombie monks that seek to understand and accept their end, however many of the older monks have begun to forget their purpose for being(like the cursed in Dark Souls).

Fallen Pedagogue GB
Creature - Zombie Monk U
When Fallen Pedagogue enters the battlefield you may return target creature card from your graveyard to the bottom of your library, if you do put a +1/+1 counter on Fallen Pedagogue.
2/1

Consider Eternity 1WG
Enchantment U
At the beginning of your upkeep scry 1, then you may reveal the top and bottom cards of your library, if they share a type put them into your hand.

Sudden Apathy WB
Instant U
Exile target tapped creature.
"Whats the point..."

Scroll Keeper 2G
Creature - Human Warrior C
Vigilance
2/3

Consider the Paths 1WU
Enchantment U
At the beginning of your upkeep scry 1, then you may reveal the top and bottom cards of your library, if they share a type put them into your hand.

This is a part of a GWU shard of Monks and Philosophers. Their focused mechanic is dealing with cards on the bottom of the library.

mythmonster2
2021-03-06, 11:13 AM
Consider the Paths 1WU
Enchantment U

This is a part of a GWU shard of Monks and Philosophers. Their focused mechanic is dealing with cards on the bottom of the library.

Not sure if this works for the challenge: as you pointed out, this is for a shard, while the challenge is for wedges specifically (two allied colors and their shared enemy color) You could keep the card by making the wedge WUR, though.

Quiddle
2021-03-06, 02:04 PM
Oops forgot the difference between shards and wedges, thanks!

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-03-07, 08:01 PM
Calling-card Assassin - B(r/w)
One of Marchesa's assassins watches from around a corner as her target starts crumpling up a letter in anger.
Creature - Human Assassin U
Deathtouch
When Calling-card Assassin enters the battlefield, put a Rage counter on target creature you don't control. (Creatures with Rage attack and block each combat if able.)
1/2

mystic1110
2021-03-09, 12:18 PM
UBG Shard

Fecund - (Each land you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for {1} or one mana of a color that any land exiled this way could produce if it was on the battlefield)

Sabbath of the Land 3G
Sorcery (U)
Fecund - (Each land you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for {1} or one mana of a color that any land exiled this way could produce if it was on the battlefield)
Search your library for three land cards, reveal those cards, and put one onto the battlefield tapped, one into your hand and one into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.

Personification
2021-03-12, 11:45 AM
Judge mint?

ben-zayb
2021-03-13, 05:49 AM
Judge mint?
Judgement will be up within the next 24 hours.:smallwink:

ben-zayb
2021-03-14, 06:28 AM
It's a little late, but here it goes:

Dragon Hunt WBG
Instant (R)
Destroy target creature, then create a number of Scale tokens equal to that creature's mana value. (It's a colorless artifact token with "1, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.")I like how the flavor strongly gels with Abzan. It's pretty flexible as a removal and combat trick, though I'm not quite sure if this should be rare. With more freedom in where and when to put the counter than Outlast, this can open up more options for aggro plays.

Aethertouched Oracle URG
Mystical - Whenever you cast an instant, sorcery, or Elemental spell, choose one:
-Elemental creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
-Scry 1.
"To survive the future, we must anticipate it."
2/2From what I'm understanding, mystical always gives a +1/+1 to another Elemental you control. It feels like a souped-up Prowess for most practical purposes, especially when it can turn Aethertouched Oracle into an Elemental lord. It's definitely a flavor win, but I fear targeted prowess (or mass prowess) can go easily out of hand for this archetype. Solid card.

Resourceful Apprentice U/G
Creature - Human U
Siphon 1 - Create a treasure token (Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may pay 1. If you do, create a treasure token.)
1/1I see where you going for as far as Siphon's flavor is concerned, and that makes perfect sense to me. Resourceful Apprentice looks like a pretty neat showcase, though I feel like the Siphon cost needs to be at least 2 (or G?) since this is an easily repeatable color-fixing effect. I'm also a little surprised that it's U/G instead of U/B, as those are more in line with Treasure creation.

Fallen Pedagogue GB
Creature - Zombie Monk U
When Fallen Pedagogue enters the battlefield you may return target creature card from your graveyard to the bottom of your library, if you do put a +1/+1 counter on Fallen Pedagogue.
2/1I like the hook that you're going for despite not knowing a thing about Dark Souls lore, but I'm not sure it translates well to your wedge mechanics (or most of your showcase cards, for that matter). I guess this was more challenging since there were no keywords or ability words involved. The bottom of the library is certainly ripe for design exploration, but Fallen Pedagogue feels like its showcasing the graveyard more as a resource in an unconventional way (putting it at the bottom instead of exiling). As a standalone card, Fallen Pedagogue is mechanically alright, and I can even see it in a 2/2 body just fine. I honestly like Consider Eternity better, as I feel it highlights the wedge mechanics more.

Calling-card Assassin - B(r/w)
One of Marchesa's assassins watches from around a corner as her target starts crumpling up a letter in anger.
Creature - Human Assassin U
Deathtouch
When Calling-card Assassin enters the battlefield, put a Rage counter on target creature you don't control. (Creatures with Rage attack and block each combat if able.)
1/2Calling-card Assassin is a sweet card name, first of all. I'm sold on the idea of permanent sort-of-goading and sort-of-provoking creatures as a WRB mechanics. However, I'm not sure how to feel about monowhite or BW cards generally being able to use force creatures to attack. That aside, Calling-card Assassin is an easy limited pick for me.

Sabbath of the Land 3G
Sorcery (U)
Search your library for three land cards, reveal those cards, and put one onto the battlefield tapped, one into your hand and one into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.On one hand, fecund looks less powerful than delve. On the other hand, Sabbath of the Land is really good, bonkers even, as it can easily net you 3 fetchlands in the graveyard. This is also in a set where you'll likely have triome-type lands. It's hard to gauge how balanced this card ultimately is without knowing the other BGU cards in the format, especially those with fecund. But it looks so good that I won't be surprised to see a short trip to the ban list.

Aethertouched Oracle by PersonificationCalling-card Assassin by Dr.Gunsforhands

Personification
2021-03-14, 07:35 AM
It's a little late, but here it goes:
From what I'm understanding, mystical always gives a +1/+1 to another Elemental you control. It feels like a souped-up Prowess for most practical purposes, especially when it can turn Aethertouched Oracle into an Elemental lord. It's definitely a flavor win, but I fear targeted prowess (or mass prowess) can go easily out of hand for this archetype. Solid card.

Sorry for the confusion
The intent was actually for mystical to not necessarily always give something +1/+1, just for the mini cycle of signpost lords to do that. At common there would probably be one that gained life or tapped something.

Tom the Mime
2021-03-14, 08:54 AM
I went for UG because the ramp/mana fixing felt more like a green or simic effect. I might be wrong but I always thought treasure was only mainly grixis for flavor reasons because they were associated with pirates and that's what color pirates are. For the apprentice, treasure token probably doesn't fit as well flavor wise but does exactly what I wanted mechanically.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-03-14, 09:01 PM
Hooray! I was pretty happy with how CCA turned out, too.

This week, the design-o-tron demands: A common card with a mana value of 1 that somehow helps you put cards in your graveyard, but doesn't actually use the graveyard as a resource itself.

(Psst, hey, design-o-tron, which colors did you mean to interact with the graveyard theme in this set? ...what do you mean, "Surprise me?")

Personification
2021-03-14, 09:34 PM
Cursory Glance U
Sorcery - C
Surveil 1
Draw a card.
"Of course we have a file on you."
-Lazav the Multifarious

somethingrandom
2021-03-15, 03:28 AM
Tome Rot B
Sorcery - C
Mill 8 cards

Tom the Mime
2021-03-15, 04:26 AM
Pretty narrow design space and with that, I think it'll be hard for anyone to top Cursory Glance with the surveil version of opt. My first thought turned out to be just a cheaper rotting rats without unearth (filling the graveyard from your hand instead).

Spreading Amnesia U
Enchantment - C
Sacrifice a nonland permanent: Mill X where X is the sacrificed permanents converted mana cost

Probably not a common but again, it's already a narrow design space without that.

ben-zayb
2021-03-15, 05:56 AM
Encroaching Smothervine G
{bodies tangled in a sea of kudzu}
Creature - Plant C
Deathtouch
When ~ enters the battlefield, it explores.
0/2

mystic1110
2021-03-15, 07:41 AM
Goblin Librarian R
Creature - Goblin C
When enters the battlefield or dies, draw two cards, then discard two cards at random.
"The classification system is FIRE!"
1/1

Personification
2021-03-15, 11:13 AM
Goblin Librarian R
Creature - Goblin C
When enters the battlefield or dies, draw two cards, then discard two cards at random.
1/1

You do know that faithless looting is banned in modern, right?

Misothene
2021-03-15, 11:27 AM
Conspiracy Theorist U
Creature- Human Advisor C
Whenever Conspiracy Theorist takes damage, each player mills that many cards.
0/3
"Don't get them started... 'The pikers, the bears, they're all in on it!' We'll never hear the end of it."

mythmonster2
2021-03-15, 11:27 AM
Well hey, the D&D set is coming out, so why not this?

Intellect Devourer B
Creature- Illithid Aberration (C)
Whenever Intellect Devourer attacks or blocks, each player mills a card. If a creature card was milled this way, Intellect Devourer gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

mystic1110
2021-03-15, 11:28 AM
You do know that faithless looting is banned in modern, right?

The random discard is more akin to burning inquiry which was fine in either format especially as it doesn’t effect opponents and the second trigger being a morbid trigger instead of your choice of flashback also makes it worse.

Necroticplague
2021-03-15, 11:42 AM
Suffer in Silence (P/B)
Sorcery C
You may not pay mana to cast this card.
Mill two, draw a card.
“ Au Vam did not trust any man who had become so intimate with pain. A man like that must be fed with blood.”

Personification
2021-03-15, 06:35 PM
The random discard is more akin to burning inquiry which was fine in either format especially as it doesn’t effect opponents and the second trigger being a morbid trigger instead of your choice of flashback also makes it worse.

I definitely missed the word random there.

Laughing Dog
2021-03-15, 08:12 PM
Maddening Voice B
Sorcery C
As an additional cost to cast this spell, mill 2 cards.
Draw two cards.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the cmc 1 part of the challenge.

Quiddle
2021-03-15, 09:54 PM
This week, the design-o-tron demands: A common card with a mana value of 1 that somehow helps you put cards in your graveyard, but doesn't actually use the graveyard as a resource itself.

Ravaging Ooze G
Creature - Ooze R
R: Mill 1, if a creature is milled this way put a +1/+1 counter on Ravaging Ooze. Ravaging Ooze deals 1 damage to you.
1/1
decidedly not a common.

Foolish Subject B
Creature - Human C
T, Sacrifice Foolish Subject, Discard a card: Add U. Scry 2.
0/1
"Too see my sister again? Anything."-Lab rat #121

I thought about more mana or a card draw but figured that this was more in line with the power level of a common.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-03-22, 12:52 AM
Time to judge! If I'm early, it's definitely a fun surprise and not just because I remembered that ten is the exact limit for multi-quote functionality.

Cursory Glance U
Sorcery - C
Surveil 1
Draw a card.
"Of course we have a file on you."
-Lazav the Multifarious

Tom the Mime is pretty much correct about this. It's a baseline, back-of-everyone's-mind card to beat. Then again, it is a better version of a card that's arguably too good already. There's a reason they didn't print this in Return to Ravnica originally.

Tome Rot B
Sorcery - C
Mill 8 cards

I can imagine this card existing, just not at common. I guess you could argue that it would take a common slot in a master's set or a cube or something. The point is, it could work in a constructed deck, but it would make the limited environment really weird.

Spreading Amnesia U
Enchantment - C
Sacrifice a nonland permanent: Mill X where X is the sacrificed permanents converted mana cost

Probably not a common but again, it's already a narrow design space without that.

An accurate assessment, but don't think you'll get bonus points just because you're doing my job for me. :smalltongue:

Encroaching Smothervine G
{bodies tangled in a sea of kudzu}
Creature - Plant C
Deathtouch
When ~ enters the battlefield, it explores.
0/2

This is interesting. Either result of the exploration would be very strong, but you can't count on it if you really need one or the other, which kind of balances it out. In constructed it probably won't be worse than a mild annoyance, but in limited it might be a bit much. It's also very precariously balanced on the edge of the contest challenge. :smalltongue:

Goblin Librarian R
Creature - Goblin C
1/1

It certainly is a powder keg. Just having the effect on death would already be dangerous, but it would also be unreliable enough to curb abuse and be interesting. Alas, getting it twice - and once even reliably - opens up the same problems as that one other card that got banned.

Conspiracy Theorist U
Creature- Human Advisor C
Whenever Conspiracy Theorist takes damage, each player mills that many cards.
0/3
"Don't get them started... 'The pikers, the bears, they're all in on it!' We'll never hear the end of it."

It took me a minute to appreciate what a flavor win this is - they're incorporating their own problems into the conspiracy. Like the Zendicrabs, it's just a dumb blocker that does nothing until suddenly the milling matters. It has combo potential, but still works as a common because it doesn't blow up on its own.

Intellect Devourer B
Creature- Illithid Aberration (C)
Whenever Intellect Devourer attacks or blocks, each player mills a card. If a creature card was milled this way, Intellect Devourer gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

I like how I'm wondering whether it was really necessary to make sure it never gets to be a 3/3. Like, you should never bet on it anyway, so knowing it won't happen might secretly increase its win rate with players who like to take risks? It's also interesting that while ben-zayb's plant feels too strong, this feels like it would probably be considered unplayable, even though the two power levels aren't that far apart. This is more aggressive, but it's too small to trade reliably in limited whether or not it gets the buff.

Suffer in Silence (P/B)
Sorcery C
You may not pay mana to cast this card.
Mill two, draw a card.
“ Au Vam did not trust any man who had become so intimate with pain. A man like that must be fed with blood.”

You know about Gitaxian Probe, yes? You know Probe is busted, yes? You know this is busted too, yes?

Maddening Voice B
Sorcery C
As an additional cost to cast this spell, mill 2 cards.
Draw two cards.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the cmc 1 part of the challenge.

I can't help but imagine that you reduced the mana cost from 2B to this but forgot to make it only draw one card.

Ravaging Ooze....

decidedly not a common.

Accurate.

Foolish Subject B
Creature - Human C
T, Sacrifice Foolish Subject, Discard a card: Add U. Scry 2.
0/1
"Too see my sister again? Anything."-Lab rat #121

This card's goofy. Since you're discarding, I think you could have drawn a card without issue, but Scrying is almost as good. The blue mana is weird, but I can see the line you want: you discard your big donkey and use the mana to ramp into your reanimation spell at the same time, which is a tight niche but would feel really good when it goes off. ...and it took typing all of that for me to realize the flavor text anticipated me finding that exact niche. Nice!

And the design-o-tron says...

Misothene wins with Conspiracy Theorist! It was a good all-around design that fit the challenge, hit the right power level and had flavor that was funny and on-point. (Quiddle's test subject was the runner-up; it hit those same points but seemed more awkwardly-constructed to me.)

Personification
2021-03-22, 08:10 AM
2 points:
1) My card wasn't in RtR because neither was surveil (I know what you meant bit the quote in my sig is there for a reason).
2) This is a sorcery, which actually hurts it a lot relative to opt, even if the effect is slightly better.

Misothene
2021-03-23, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the selection, design-o-tron. The algorithm must have been kind to me today.

The challenge for this week: Make a card using one of the Innistrad tribes outside its colors in Innistrad.

The tribes in Innistrad were:
WU Spirits
UB Zombies
BR Vampires
RG Werewolves
GW Humans

So, use at least one of those creature types, and don't use any of the colors associated with it on Innistrad (e.g. you could make a BG Spirit, but not a BG Vampire, and if you made a Zombie Werewolf it would have to be white or colorless). The one exception is the intersection of Werewolf and Human- you can make a Human Werewolf in white (just not green or red).

The card doesn't need to be set on Innistrad, though it obviously can be if you have a cool idea that fits the world.

Quiddle
2021-03-23, 02:23 AM
Impatient Perfectionist RR
Creature - Human Wizard
Prowess
Discard a card: Exile target spell you control, then exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card with a mana value less than or equal to the spell that was exiled. Cast that card. Then put all cards exiled this way that weren’t cast on the bottom of your library in a random order.
1/3
"No no, thats not right either. Lets start again."

Darkwood Syphoner 1GG
Creature - Treefolk Vampire U
Wither
Darkwood Syphoner gets +1/+1 for each creature your opponent controls with a -1/-1 counter on it.
3/3
"The Sun has forsaken our kind but we will not be denied."

Yesla, the Twice Slain 2RW
Creature - Zombie Angel Warrior R
Flying
When Yesla, the Twice Slain enters the battlefield untap all creatures you control, they get +1/-1 until the end of the turn.
Unearth 1RW
4/2

Lab Wolf UU
Creature - Wolf U
When Lab Wolf becomes the target of a spell or ability exile it then return it to the battlefield transformed.
2/2
//
Where-Wolf
Creature - Werewolf Wolf
Shroud, Unblockable
3/3

Decaying Tutelar 3GB
Creature - Spirit R
Whenever another creature you control dies reveal the top 3 cards of your library, you may put a creature or land from among them into your hand then put the rest into your graveyard.
Sacrifice a creature: Decaying Tutelar gets +1/+1 and menace until the end of the turn.
5/4

ben-zayb
2021-03-23, 02:07 PM
Risen Roast 2GG
Artifact Creature - Food Zombie Shaman R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay GG. If you do, target non-creature Food becomes a 2/2 green Zombie creature in addition to its other types.
"Such is nature's cycle. Now, WE feast."
4/4

mystic1110
2021-03-23, 02:08 PM
Auradrinker 1GW
Creature - Vampire Wizard (U)
When Auradrinker enters the battlefield, you may exile target enchantment card from your graveyard and you may exile target enchantment you don’t control.
When Auradrinker leaves the battlefield return any exiled enchantment you own to its owner’s hand and return any exiled enchantment you don't own to the battlefield.
"Blood is so pedestrian. I sup on hope."
2/2

Necroticplague
2021-03-23, 03:26 PM
Eh, consider it closer to Street Wraiths, which isn't banned from anything. Probe's useful because it tells you if it's safe to storm off or not, while this just stuffs graves.

Anyway, enough ruminating from the last: Onto this!

Verdant Battlefield
Land R
Verdant battlefield enters the battlefield tapped.
T:Add G or W
1GW: Verdant battlefield becomes a 4/4 Plant Zombie with Lifelink. It's still a land.

Personification
2021-03-23, 04:37 PM
Skymarch Captain 3WW
Creature - Vampire Knight R
Flying, lifelink, vigilance
Other Vampires you control get +1/+1.
4/4

Laughing Dog
2021-03-23, 08:36 PM
Ser Wulf 2(W/B)
Creature-Human Werewolf Knight U
First Strike
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform ~.
He fights with both nobility and ferocity.
2/2
//
Armored Werewolf (White/Black Color Indicator)
Creature-Werewolf Knight U
Menace
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform ~.
He fights with ferocity. His nobility keeps him from harming his charges.
3/3

Tom the Mime
2021-03-24, 10:35 PM
Hopeful Moongazer 3U
Creature - Human R
He hopes that Emrakul has no influence from the moon.
2/3
//
Dronepack Infector (Colorless Indicator)
Creature - Werewolf Eldrazi R
Whenever this creature transforms into Dronepack Infector, put a latticework counter on target creature.
Creatures with latticework counters are colorless 3/2 Eldrazi Horrors and lose all other abilities.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast two or more spells last turn, transform ~.
He was wrong.
4/4

mythmonster2
2021-03-24, 11:08 PM
Flame-Fueled Geist 1RR
Creature- Spirit (U)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Flame-Fueled Geist deals 1 damage to any target.
Sometimes burning someone at the stake can backfire.
3/1

Personification
2021-03-30, 11:01 PM
The Honorable Judge Mint?

Misothene
2021-03-31, 03:43 PM
Sorry for the delay. The Honorable Judge Mint presiding.

Impatient Perfectionist RR
Creature - Human Wizard
Prowess
Discard a card: Exile target spell you control, then exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card with a mana value less than or equal to the spell that was exiled. Cast that card. Then put all cards exiled this way that weren’t cast on the bottom of your library in a random order.
1/3
"No no, thats not right either. Lets start again."

I assume that's supposed to say "cast that card without paying its mana cost," as it's a LOT worse if you have to pay full retail... that said, it's very close to repeatable Tibalt's Trickery, which enables pretty degenerate combos and got itself banned in Modern. This also doesn't have the safety valve against MDFCs (e.g. hitting Valki and casting Tibalt) that the cascade rule change does. Oddly, allowing you to hit MVs equal to the spell makes it worse, but it also lets you keep discarding until you hit the thing you're looking for. Flavorful concept, but it seems a bit dangerous mechanically.

Risen Roast 2GG
Artifact Creature - Food Zombie Shaman R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay GG. If you do, target non-creature Food becomes a 2/2 green Zombie creature in addition to its other types.
"Such is nature's cycle. Now, WE feast."
4/4
It's always been weird to me that Food was an artifact type, as artifacts are usually inorganic objects, and this leans really far in the weird direction, explicitly being some sort of giant animated meatloaf. That's not your fault, of course, Food being an artifact type was WotC's call. I think the concept is funny, and the effect matches it well. It is missing the "sac to gain life" ability, though; IMO it should either have that or take it off of the food it animates.

Auradrinker 1GW
Creature - Vampire Wizard (U)
When Auradrinker enters the battlefield, you may exile target enchantment card from your graveyard and you may exile target enchantment you don’t control.
When Auradrinker leaves the battlefield return any exiled enchantment you own to its owner’s hand and return any exiled enchantment you don't own to the battlefield.
"Blood is so pedestrian. I sup on hope."
2/2
I like the flavor text and concept a lot. It is a little odd that "aura" is in the name without ever calling out "aura" the enchantment type. I think it would also work better to just return the cards exiled with Auradrinker, as doing it the other way is a shenanigan enabler with the exile zone that people would probably play incorrectly for a while.

Verdant Battlefield
Land R
Verdant battlefield enters the battlefield tapped.
T:Add G or W
1GW: Verdant battlefield becomes a 4/4 Plant Zombie with Lifelink. It's still a land.
Really powerful creature land. Big body + lifelink would probably make this very difficult to play against with most aggro decks, and is a finisher that stabilizes your life total. My issue with it is that it doesn't really feel like the concept is a Zombie; this could just be any GW Elemental or something.

Skymarch Captain 3WW
Creature - Vampire Knight R
Flying, lifelink, vigilance
Other Vampires you control get +1/+1.
4/4
This isn't a Baneslayer, but I could see this ruining a lot of limited games, even at rare. That much power in flying/lifelink/vigilance at a reasonable cost is just very difficult to recover from. On top of that, it has a very relevant tribal lord thing going on.

Ser Wulf 2(W/B)
Creature-Human Werewolf Knight U
First Strike
He fights with both nobility and ferocity.
2/2
//
Armored Werewolf (White/Black Color Indicator)
Creature-Werewolf Knight U
Menace
He fights with ferocity. His nobility keeps him from harming his charges.
3/3
It's a bit weird that you could get a menace creature in mono-white. Probably a justifiable bend as white does get common fliers, so lesser evasion isn't breaking anything. Other than that, pretty reasonable limited card that makes sense as hybrid.

Hopeful Moongazer 3U
Creature - Human R
He hopes that Emrakul has no influence from the moon.
2/3
//
Dronepack Infector (Colorless Indicator)
Creature - Werewolf Eldrazi R
Whenever this creature transforms into Dronepack Infector, put a latticework counter on target creature.
Creatures with latticework counters are colorless 3/2 Eldrazi Horrors and lose all other abilities.
He was wrong.
4/4
I like the mechanics, and it would create interesting play patterns with the opponent getting some possibility to influence when it does/doesn't transform. Even with the best case of this transforming every turn cycle, it turns things into 3/2s, which are just relevant enough to not equal hard removal. Probably too weak for constructed formats, but seems like a good fun rare to draft. Flavorfully, I do wonder why this isn't a Human Werewolf on the front side.

Flame-Fueled Geist 1RR
Creature- Spirit (U)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Flame-Fueled Geist deals 1 damage to any target.
Sometimes burning someone at the stake can backfire.
3/1
This seems like an absolute monster in limited, particularly at uncommon in one color making it very possible to get multiples. They were willing to make Rockslide Sorcerer I suppose, so this could maybe see print as-is.

To be honest, I liked all of the entries this week for different reasons. But, I'll give it to Tom the Mime with Hopeful Moongazer. Great job to everyone!

Quiddle
2021-04-01, 10:12 AM
Oops you're right it should say "Cast that spell without paying its mana cost if its mana value is less than the exiled spell's." Thanks for judging!

Tom the Mime
2021-04-02, 04:31 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I'd be surprised if it ever saw play in constructed but could be useful in limited. The repeatable transformation has potential but unless straight out removal is in short supply, the hassle to get any sort of value out of it wouldn't be worth it.

Anyway, the next challenge is land based. Make a land or something that cares about lands. Or even a land that cares about other lands.

Necroticplague
2021-04-02, 06:21 PM
Lotus Viper Pit
Land M
Lotus Viper Pit enters the battlefield tapped and exerted.
T:C
Whenever another nontoken land enters the battlefield under your control, create a land token named "Lotus Cobra Infestation" with "T: Add one mana of any color"

Bucky
2021-04-03, 01:34 PM
River
Land {Uncommon expansion symbol for a team multiplayer focused set}
{T}: Add {1}.
{T}: Untap target basic land.
The great Luxa gives life everywhere it touches.

Quiddle
2021-04-04, 01:49 AM
Opting for something that cares about land.

Shepard of the Rock 1R
[an elemental (like a flamekin) with a smoking straw hat looks affectionately at a raving ravine]
Creature - Elemental Peasant R
Whenever a land you control becomes a creature until the end of the turn, it becomes that creature instead.
When Shepard of the Rock leaves the battlefield at the end of the turn if you don't control a creature named Shepard of the Rock, land creatures you control become land.
R, T: Target land creature becomes a land until the end of the turn.
3/1
"I've raised that ravine since it was just a little stream, didn't used to have such a temper."

Shepard of the Rock 1RR
[an elemental (like a flamekin) with a smoking straw hat looks affectionately at a raving ravine]
At the beginning of your upkeep you may have a land you control become a 0/0 creature in addition to its other types put 2 +1/+1 counters on it. If that land has an activated ability that grants it keywords it gains those keywords.
3/2
"I've raised that ravine since it was just a little stream, didn't used to have such a temper."

mythmonster2
2021-04-04, 09:24 AM
Gitrogling 1BG
Creature- Frog (U)
Menace
Whenever a land you control leaves the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on Gitrogling.
BG, Sacrifice a land, T: Draw a card.
2/2

mystic1110
2021-04-04, 11:28 AM
The Greatest Thespian Alive WUG
Legendary Creature - Avatar Druid (R)
Whenever a player plays a land card, you may pay {2}. If you do create a copy of that land under your control.
1/4

Personification
2021-04-05, 10:20 AM
Opting for something that cares about land.

Shepard of the Rock 1R
[a middle aged elemental (like a flamekin) looks affectionatly at a raving ravine]
Whenever a land you control becomes a creature until the end of the turn, it becomes that creature instead.
2/1

If you intend for the animation effects to end when this dies, as written they won't. If that is the intent, I'd suggest just making it "...until ~ leaves the battlefield."

Quiddle
2021-04-05, 11:58 AM
Thanks! Yeah hmm I didn't consider that it continues until ~ dies.

Personification
2021-04-05, 01:18 PM
Field of the Dead is a fair card, right?

Deathlord of the Field 1GB
Creature - Zombie Druid R
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, if you control seven or more lands with different names, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
2/2
He is the shepherd of a self-replenishing flock.

ben-zayb
2021-04-08, 02:14 PM
Territorificer 1G
Creature - Kor Artificer R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay G. If you do, put a road counter on target land you control.
Each land you control with a road counter on it has "T: Add one mana of any color that another land you control with a road counter on it can produce".
2/2

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-04-08, 07:00 PM
Rubble Raider - 1R
Creature - Human Pirate C
The first time a land is put into a graveyard from the battlefield each turn, create a treasure token.
2/1

Tom the Mime
2021-04-09, 11:12 PM
Lotus Viper Pit
Land M
Lotus Viper Pit enters the battlefield tapped and exerted.
T:C
Whenever another nontoken land enters the battlefield under your control, create a land token named "Lotus Cobra Infestation" with "T: Add one mana of any color"

No. Just no. This is obscenely overpowered. Playing this turn 1 you miss a one drop but you get back to parity on turn 2, with mana fixing, or even ahead if you use a fetchland. This would still be broken if it could never tap for mana or even if the ability was single use. If it was single use and could never tap for mana, it's still probably stronger than recent rainbow options like rupture spire.

River
Land {Uncommon expansion symbol for a team multiplayer focused set}
{T}: Add {1}.
{T}: Untap target basic land.
The great Luxa gives life everywhere it touches.

Nice and simple but it works. Works nicely as tapping for anything your basics produce with the extra effect in team matches. Good that you excludes non basics given thing like the bouncelands and lotus vale. You could get tricky by enchanting a basic land for some extra value but I doubt it'd overpower it.

Shepard of the Rock 1RR
At the beginning of your upkeep you may have a land you control become a 0/0 creature in addition to its other types put 2 +1/+1 counters on it. If that land has an activated ability that grants it keywords it gains those keywords.
3/2

I think you need to change how it's written so that it works. The upkeep should specify non-creature land otherwise pumping a land by 2 each upkeep seems too good, especially when the tap is meant to give it evasion. The tap should read something like (if I'm interpreting it right) "Target land creature is not a creature until end of turn"

Gitrogling 1BG
Creature- Frog (U)
Menace
Whenever a land you control leaves the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on Gitrogling.
BG, Sacrifice a land, T: Draw a card.
2/2

I don't know - you always need to be careful with land leaving the battlefield triggers because it's generally easier to trigger than you'd think with breaking the flow of a deck. Even if it triggers a couple of times, should be okay if powerful here and the last ability gives the card a use if you draw it later in the game.

The Greatest Thespian Alive WUG
Legendary Creature - Avatar Druid (R)
Whenever a player plays a land card, you may pay {2}. If you do create a copy of that land under your control.
1/4

All the worlds a stage. I guess you'd want to run this in a flash deck given you want to hold mana open for this ability as well and you get an extra turn of value out of each land. It feels like it might be very complicated to play.

Field of the Dead is a fair card, right?

Deathlord of the Field 1GB
Creature - Zombie Druid R
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, if you control seven or more lands with different names, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
2/2
He is the shepherd of a self-replenishing flock.

Feels like it should be okay given a lot of the problem with fields was how uninteractive it was and getting it straight out with Golos or scapeshift. Much easier to get rid of here.

Territorificer 1G
Creature - Kor Artificer R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay G. If you do, put a road counter on target land you control.
Each land you control with a road counter on it has "T: Add one mana of any color that another land you control with a road counter on it can produce".
2/2

I like the flavour of linking the lands together with the roads and the mana fixing is fine as an effect but how it reads feels a bit clunky. Might read better if it was just something like "Lands with road counters can tap for one mana of any colour your lands could produce". Not sure it needs the extra cost on the triggered ability either.

Rubble Raider - 1R
Creature - Human Pirate C
The first time a land is put into a graveyard from the battlefield each turn, create a treasure token.
2/1

Nice and simple. Good synergy with fetchlands and land destruction but doesn't feel like it would get out of hand.

Bucky with River

Bucky
2021-04-10, 01:50 AM
I'll continue my archetype cycle. Create a noncreature spell for aggro decks.

Aggro decks try to end the game using mana-efficient recurring damage sources, usually creatures. The card doesn't need to be exclusive to aggro decks, but it should be much more useful in aggro than in other archetypes. Bonus points for fitting into a wide variety of aggro decks.

Necroticplague
2021-04-11, 12:20 AM
Gyroscopic Link RRR
Sorcery-U
Chose a creature you control. It deals 1 Damage to each opponent and to each creature and planeswalker your opponents control. Then, put a first strike counter and a +1/+1 counter on it.

Quiddle
2021-04-11, 01:35 PM
Grand Stratagem 1W
Enchantment U
When Grand Stratagem enters the battlefield create a 1/1 white soldier token.
Creatures you control are 2/2s.

Its an anthem for 1/1s(and 0/0s) as well as a 2/2 body!

Personification
2021-04-11, 01:49 PM
Unwavering Resolve {W/B}
Instant C
Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Draw a card.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-04-11, 03:12 PM
Levitative Transit - 1U
Instant - C
Put a +1/+1 counter and a Flying counter on target creature you control.
Overload 3UU (You may cast this spell for its Overload cost. If you do, replace each instance of, "target," with, "each.")

mythmonster2
2021-04-11, 09:38 PM
Mu Yanling, Skyspeaker 1UU
Legendary Planeswalker- Yanling (MR)
+1: Up to one target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn if it has flying, or gets +1/+1 and gains flying until end of turn if it doesn't have flying.
-2: Until the beginning of your next turn, instants and sorceries you cast cost 1 less to cast for each creature with flying you control.
-5: Search your library for a creature card with flying, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

This is mostly aimed at Mono-Blue Tempo decks like the ones that were popular around Dominaria-era Standard that had cheap flying creatures and counterspells for protection.

Tom the Mime
2021-04-12, 02:28 AM
Unrelenting Fervor R
Sorcery - U
Put a haste counter on target creature you control then it gains +X/+0 until end of turn where X is the number of creatures you control with haste.
Retrace

Sorcery speed as I don't mind it dumping multiple lands for a big overall boost but it feels like it could be a bit much if it could be done after blockers were declared.

mystic1110
2021-04-16, 09:48 AM
Goblin Pile-Oner 1R
Creature - Goblin (R)
Whenever another creature deals combat damage to a player or a creature, Goblin Pile-Oner deals X damage to that player or creature where X is the difference between that creature's power and toughness (e.g. a creature with 3 power and 1 toughness deals damage to a player, Goblin Pile-Oner will deal 2 damage to that player).
2/1

Bucky
2021-04-19, 10:55 AM
Gyroscopic Link RRR
Sorcery-U
Chose a creature you control. It deals 1 Damage to each opponent and to each creature and planeswalker your opponents control. Then, put a first strike counter and a +1/+1 counter on it.
Goblin Chainwhirler minus the stick, eh?

This should probably be an Aura. I don't understand why you're using a keyword counter instead.

Grand Stratagem 1W
Enchantment U
When Grand Stratagem enters the battlefield create a 1/1 white soldier token.
Creatures you control are 2/2s.

Its an anthem for 1/1s(and 0/0s) as well as a 2/2 body!
In an absolute vacuum, an anthem with an attached body is fine. However, this design is very restrictive about what else you have in your deck, since curving it out into a 3/3 for 3 is counterproductive.

I think what kills the design a general aggro card is how bad this is in multiples in exchange for how much it warps the deck; once you have one out, your second might as well be a double-price Eager Cadet. It survives in token-only decks.

Unwavering Resolve {W/B}
Instant C
Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Draw a card.
The price is right for an aggro deck looking to protect its tempo lead; indeed, this is somewhat better than the going rate for the effect (compare Sheltering Light and Oblivion's Hunger). I don't think there's a way to balance both the large tempo gain and the +1 card advantage.

Recosted, it strongly discourages blocking in the aggro mirror against blocking, as the attacker has all mana up and the defender doesn't.

Levitative Transit - 1U
Instant - C
Put a +1/+1 counter and a Flying counter on target creature you control.
Overload 3UU (You may cast this spell for its Overload cost. If you do, replace each instance of, "target," with, "each.")
This time, the flying counter makes sense for the Overload. The main mode's fair for Limited, weak for Constructed but the option's nice. The overload on the other hand...

The surprise factor of an instant-speed flying armada is too much at common. With several available at any given draft table, it'd utterly invalidate the tactic of poking over the top of a board stall with a couple of flyers for fear of getting blown out, if it weren't so bomby in those situations that the correct answer's to ignore it and hope they didn't draw it.

Yet, a 5 mana spell needs to be that strong to fit into an aggro deck. So it should be a rare.

Mu Yanling, Skyspeaker 1UU
Legendary Planeswalker- Yanling (MR)
+1: Up to one target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn if it has flying, or gets +1/+1 and gains flying until end of turn if it doesn't have flying.
-2: Until the beginning of your next turn, instants and sorceries you cast cost 1 less to cast for each creature with flying you control.
-5: Search your library for a creature card with flying, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

This looks like it's secretly a combo card. Make a few flying tokens and all your spells on the combo turn become really cheap.

If you're actually using it in an aggro deck, it doesn't have any independent board presence, can't defend itself and doesn't replace itself. She gets one jump in, then usually dies to a counterattack - not worth three mana.

Unrelenting Fervor R
Sorcery - U
Put a haste counter on target creature you control. It gains +X/+0 until end of turn where X is the number of creatures you control with haste.
Retrace
Haste tribal?

In order to make this worthwhile as a pump spell, you need multiple retraces or a deck with 16+ haste creatures. That's achievable, although if you build around the +X/+0 your haste-granting has fewer targets.

The ability to burn several lands to pump one creature really sells the design. With some haste on the table already, playing an evasive creature and spending multiple retraces on it yields a giant sucker punch.

Goblin Pile-Oner 1R
Creature - Goblin (R)
Whenever another creature deals combat damage to a player or a creature, Goblin Pile-Oner deals X damage to that player or creature where X is the difference between that creature's power and toughness (e.g. a creature with 3 power and 1 toughness deals damage to a player, Goblin Pile-Oner will deal 2 damage to that player).
2/1
Disqualified for not being a noncreature spell.

Tom the Mime with Unrelenting Fervor

Tom the Mime
2021-04-19, 08:50 PM
I made the one before this one so I'll open up making the challenge to whoever posts next.

Quiddle
2021-04-20, 11:25 PM
Sure I'll bite. Make me a card for one of the colleges (ie two color pairs) not seen in Strixhaven! The card should mechanically and stylistically feel appropriate for the plane. If it fits storywise, great.

mythmonster2
2021-04-21, 01:13 AM
Daxyn Multimage 2UB
Creature- Merfolk Wizard (U)
Magecraft- Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, choose lifelink, menace, hexproof, or flying. If Daxyn Multimage does not have a counter of the chosen type, put a counter of that type on it.
"At the end of the day, you're the only one who decides what you're capable of."
3/3

My idea for a blue-black college: psychology students who believe in the unlimited potential of each individual. They have a Voltron style of play, buffing up a single creature.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-04-21, 01:07 PM
Colors
Name
Subject
Token
Note

UR
Prismari
Art/Music
4/4 Elemental
Big, splashy spells

RW
Lorehold
History/Archaeology
3/2 Spirit
Graveyard recursion

WB
Silverquill
Language/Literature
2/1 Inkling
Fliers with counters

BG
Witherbloom
Medicine/Zoology
1/1 Pest
Life gain

GU
Quandrix
Math/Biology
0/0 Fractal
Ramp and card draw

UW
<Azorius?>
Civil Engineering
2/2 Golem
Artifacts

WG
<Selesnya?>
Hospitality/Security
0/2 Plant
Fogs and Removal

GR
<Gruul?>
Geology/Geography
3/3 Land
Landfall

RB
<Rakdos?>
Theology
3/6 Avatar?
Secretly the Oriq cult

BU
Daxyn
Psychology
1/1 Nightmare
Discard/Shadow

Horror Summoning - 3(r/b)(r/b)
It's a Hydralisk. I mean a Mage Hunter. I mean a big angry porcupine-scorpion thing.
Sorcery - Lesson C
Create a 3/4 red and black Horror creature token with Menace.
When the College of Theology abandoned Strixhaven to form the Oriq, that hardly meant the end of their studies.

Personification
2021-04-21, 05:46 PM
So, the Vorthos of me requires that I point out that due to the worldbuilding of Arcavios, allied color colleges don't really make sense, but I also understand the point of the prompt.

Part of the point of Stryxhaven is using the color pairs in a way that they aren't often used, especially in a way different to Ravnica. For that reason, I am going to say that WU are neither skies nor control, but agro/tempo, with lots of blue bounce to clear the way for white aggro. I agree with Dr.Gunsforhands about them being engineers, though I would go with general engineering, not just civil engineering, and therefore artifacts would definitely be the subtheme.

Early Prototype 4WU
Artifact Creature - Construct U
You may tap an untapped artifact you control rather than pay 1 when paying this spells mana cost.
Vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target nonland permanent to its owners hand.
(Mechania watermark)
3/3
...and waterproof! While not built with any specific applications in mind, we believe many will be found, and have already started considering potential uses in search-and-rescue operations (https://xkcd.com/2128/)after...

mystic1110
2021-04-21, 05:57 PM
Professor Estrid's Final XGW
Instant - Lesson (R)
Mill X cards. Return all non-Aura enchantment cards with a converted mana cost of X or less from your graveyard to the battlefield, then do the same for Aura cards with a converted mana cost of X or less.
Where the hell are all these new professor's coming from?

ben-zayb
2021-04-21, 09:22 PM
Sure I'll bite. Make me a card for one of the colleges (ie two color pairs) not seen in Strixhaven! The card should mechanically and stylistically feel appropriate for the plane. If it fits storywise, great.
Can we stray off the main "instant and sorcery matters" theme with the magecraft mechanics, or should that be taken into account?

Quiddle
2021-04-21, 09:26 PM
Your cards will be considered as if they were being printed into an extended Strixhaven set, but Strixhaven already has other draft archetypes besides spells matter! Long way of saying do whatever you would like!

Misothene
2021-04-24, 02:39 PM
Gorgias, Dean of Indulgence 2RR
Legendary Creature- Elephant Shaman R
When Gorgias enters the battlefield, create two Food tokens.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may sacrifice a Food. If you do, that creature gets +2/+0 and trample until end of turn.
3/4
///////////////
Viriba, Dean of Nutrition 3GG
Legendary Creature- Bear Druid R
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a Food token.
Whenever you sacrifice a Food, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature.
4/5

Laughing Dog
2021-04-24, 04:52 PM
Early Prototype 4WB
You may tap an untapped artifact you control rather than pay 1 when paying this spells mana cost.
Vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target nonland permanent to its owners hand.
(Mechania watermark)
3/3
...and waterproof! While not built with any specific applications in mind, we believe many will be found, and have already started considering potential uses in search-and-rescue operations (https://xkcd.com/2128/)after...

Psst... Personification! I think you meant it to be White-blUe, not White-Black.

Personification
2021-04-24, 08:52 PM
Psst... Personification! I think you meant it to be White-blUe, not White-Black.

GARFIELD!!!!!

Yeah, fixing it.

ben-zayb
2021-04-27, 09:59 AM
Quouos, Dean of Integration 1U
Legendary Creature - Cat Wizard R
Whenever you look at one or more cards from a library, tap or untap target creature.
1U,T: Each player reveals the top card of their library. You may exile one of the revealed cards and put a source counter on it.
2/1
///
Prospero, Dean of Collaboration 2W
Legendary Creature - Dog Cleric R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may exile target creature or planeswalker and put a source counter on it. Its owner may cast it from exile.
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each card exiled with a source counter on it.
3/3

Cloudweave: College of Infokinetics
Mascot: white and blue 2/2 Avatar creature with "Whenever this creature attacks, scry 1."
Themes are "exiled cards matter" and "looking at library matters"
In a nutshell, think of altruistic Dimir with internet: transformation and management of arcane knowledge for practical advances in society. IRL equivalent mainly covers degrees such as Education, Engineering, Data Science, Informatics, and Library Studies.

Necroticplague
2021-04-27, 10:34 AM
Thesis Summons 2BR
Creature-Fiend
Flying, Trample
Claw Out 3 (As an additional cost to play this, sacrifice three permanents that share a type with this card. You may play this card from your graveyard).
"When the competition for scholarships gets cutthroat amount grad students, things get very cutthroat."
5/5

Rakdos Aristocrats theme-uses cheaply revived fodder to fuel 'when X dies' triggers by being sacrificed en-massed to more expensively revived things-only to repeat the process.

Quiddle
2021-04-27, 11:15 PM
Daxyn Multimage 2UB
Creature- Merfolk Wizard (U)
Magecraft- Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, choose lifelink, menace, hexproof, or flying. If Daxyn Multimage does not have a counter of the chosen type, put a counter of that type on it.
"At the end of the day, you're the only one who decides what you're capable of."
3/3

This is a strong uncommon that will take over limited games but has to power up first. I like a lot of whats going on here but am not sure how I feel about tracking agility counters in Strixhaven.
Horror Summoning - 3(r/b)(r/b)
It's a Hydralisk. I mean a Mage Hunter. I mean a big angry porcupine-scorpion thing.
Sorcery - Lesson C
Create a 3/4 red and black Horror creature token with Menace.
When the College of Theology abandoned Strixhaven to form the Oriq, that hardly meant the end of their studies.

5 mana for a 3/4 menace sounds about right for a lesson. I like the flavor text :)
Early Prototype 4WU
Vigilance
(Mechania watermark)
3/3
...and waterproof! While not built with any specific applications in mind, we believe many will be found, and have already started considering potential uses in search-and-rescue operations after...

The way this agility is written I believe means you can only pay for one with an artifact so you are still hard paying the other 3UW. I like UW being engineers thats a fresh take on the color pair! 3/3 vigilance and bounce makes this a very solid tempo play but I think the cost is appropriate. I would have liked to see a slightly more unique effect on this card but you've managed to make something with a decent amount of text that still is easily understandable(aka not questing beast). gj!

Professor Estrid's Final XGW
Instant - Lesson (R)
Mill X cards. Return all non-Aura enchantment cards with a converted mana cost of X or less from your graveyard to the battlefield, then do the same for Aura cards with a converted mana cost of X or less.
Where the hell are all these new professor's coming from?

My biggest gripe with this one is that a Final doesn't really feel like a lesson to me. The lessons that have been printed are all teaching something while this card is explicitly a test. Having a mill and res effect does seem like it could be in GW though and would lead to an interesting color pair identity.

Gorgias, Dean of Indulgence 2RR
Legendary Creature- Elephant Shaman R
When Gorgias enters the battlefield, create two Food tokens.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may sacrifice a Food. If you do, that creature gets +2/+0 and trample until end of turn.
3/4
///////////////
Viriba, Dean of Nutrition 3GG
Legendary Creature- Bear Druid R
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a Food token.
Whenever you sacrifice a Food, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature.
4/5

Food tokens! I enjoyed the typelines that you decided on, very fun. Having GR be the cooking college was a creative idea that pays off in your two deans. I think that your professors are well costed and distinct while still operating in a similar zone. gj!

Quouos, Dean of Integration 1U
Legendary Creature - Cat Wizard R
Whenever you look at one or more cards from a library, tap or untap target creature.
1U,T: Each player reveals the top card of their library. You may exile one of the revealed cards and put a source counter on it.
2/1
///
Prospero, Dean of Collaboration 2W
Legendary Creature - Dog Cleric R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may exile target creature or planeswalker and put a source counter on it. Its owner may cast it from exile.
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each card exiled with a source counter on it.
3/3

Cats integrate, dogs collaborate - i like it. I believe there are cards that let you look at the top card of your library whenever you want is that a two card infinite? Have untaps like that are probably okay for most other effects though. The dog dean is strong enough to be a stand alone card. They both provide a return target creature to "hand" effect each turn and usually an anthem. I like whats going on here but the two cards seem a little to different and a touch over tuned.

Thesis Summons 2BR
Creature-Fiend
Flying, Trample
Claw Out 3 (As an additional cost to play this, sacrifice three permanents that share a type with this card. You may play this card from your graveyard).
"When the competition for scholarships gets cutthroat amount grad students, things get very cutthroat."
5/5

I think that this could possibly cost one less mana. Claw Out 3 is brutal and you'll usually have to sac three lands to make this hit the board. I think the card is well named for Strixhaven and the flavor is on point.

Misothene with Gorgias, Dean of Indulgence & Viriba, Dean of Nutrition

Runners up were personification and Dr Gunsforhands

thanks for the cards everyone, I had a good time judging this batch

Misothene
2021-04-28, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the selection! Culinary arts was the best thought I had of how to illustrate a conflict between one of the allied pairs.

For the next challenge, I'd like to celebrate some of Strixhaven's creature type diversity. So, make an enemy-colored card with one of the following creature types:
Bear,
Bird,
Elephant,
Frog,
Lizard.

These don't need to be set on Strixhaven, and they don't have to be anthropomorphic. I would like to see at least one of these in the type line, so Changeling isn't sufficient. You can mix and match if you please, so if you have a great idea for a Bear Bird or Elephant Lizard, be my guest.

For reference, the "enemy" color pairs are WB, WR, UR, UG and BG.

Necroticplague
2021-04-28, 11:04 AM
Misbegotten Experiment 2UUGG
Creature-Frog Lizard Horror R
Trample
When Misbegotten Experiment enters the battlefield, exile all creatures that have a creature type Misbegotten Experiment does not have with a materials counter on them.
Misbegotten Experiment has power and toughness equal to one greater than the amount of creatures types it has, and has the types of all non-changeling creature cards in exile with material counters on them.
"Xe never thought xe'd see the day, but xe finally had: attempts at pushing krasis capabilities further had officially gone too far."
*+1/*+1

ben-zayb
2021-04-28, 01:08 PM
Salamastodon 2WR
Creature - Lizard Elephant U
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ if the number of +1/+1 counters on it is less than two.
2R, Remove a +1/+1 counter on ~: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature that dealt damage to it this turn.
Fun fact: It can launch its massive tusks as a defense mechanism. Not-so-fun fact: Your provocation is now triggering that mechanism.
3/3

Tom the Mime
2021-04-28, 01:12 PM
A bird bear you say? Couldn't resist.

Voracious Owlbear 2UG
Creature - Bird Bear U
Trample
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it
"I know what it looks like but we actually didn't make this one. It was like that when we got here." - Juric, Simic Researcher
4/3

mythmonster2
2021-04-28, 01:45 PM
Pauper Punisher 2WB
Creature- Elephant Cleric (U)
Vigilance
At the beginning of each end step, if you gained life this turn, choose one:
Each opponent loses 2 life
Create a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token.
"If you can't pay the tithe in gold, you'll pay with your body."
3/3

Personification
2021-04-28, 05:20 PM
Lizrog Skinshedder UG
Creature - Lizard Frog Shapeshifter M
G: Until end of turn, ~ becomes a bear in addition to its other types and gains vigilance and trample.
U: Until end of turn, ~ becomes a bird in addition to its other types and gains flying.
6: Until end of turn, ~ becomes an elephant in addition to its other types and has base power and toughness 8/8.
2/2

mystic1110
2021-04-28, 05:29 PM
Bael's Chosen 2BG
Creature - Frog Demon (R)
When Bael's Chosen attacks exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a land card.
You may play an additional land from exile on each of your turns.
Whenever a land card enters the battlefield under your control each player loses 1 life.
3/3

Dr.Gunsforhands
2021-04-28, 09:31 PM
Basking Geologist - 1W
They stand on a rocky ridge and look ahead through the oppressive sunlight, having the time of their life while their students pant and sweat in the background.
Creature - Lizard Scout C
Basking Geologist gets +1/+1 as long as you control a basic mountain.
2/2

Quiddle
2021-04-29, 06:23 PM
Jaggedbeak Imposter 1GB
Creature - Lizard Rogue U
First Strike
Jaggedbeak Imposter is a bird.
Other birds lose flying.
2/3
"Wingrot again? Who's been cleaning the roosts?"

LastCenturion
2021-05-02, 01:40 PM
Angel's Acolyte -- WR
{Art: A hawk flies through the clouds, flanked by angels on either side.}
Creature -- Bird Cleric -- U
Flying, Lifelink, Vigilance
It joined their flock, then their vanguard.
2/3

Tom the Mime
2021-05-02, 01:59 PM
Jaggedbeak Imposter RG
Other birds lose flyging.
3/2
Just a heads up that these aren't enemy colours.

Quiddle
2021-05-02, 04:04 PM
Oops, missed that thanks

Laughing Dog
2021-05-02, 05:03 PM
Drop Bear UG
Creature- Bear C
Flash
"You dropped bears on their heads. Who expects that?"
"Anyone from Zendikar."
2/2

Misothene
2021-05-05, 02:12 AM
Misbegotten Experiment 2UUGG
Creature-Frog Lizard Horror R
Trample
When Misbegotten Experiment enters the battlefield, exile all creatures that have a creature type Misbegotten Experiment does not have with a materials counter on them.
Misbegotten Experiment has power and toughness equal to one greater than the amount of creatures types it has, and has the types of all non-changeling creature cards in exile with material counters on them.
"Xe never thought xe'd see the day, but xe finally had: attempts at pushing krasis capabilities further had officially gone too far."
*+1/*+1
Very weird, very strong. I don't think this fits in the UG color pie, as (the first time you play it, at least) it exiles almost everything without "transforming" it into anything for your opponent. It's cool that this is kind of a "one-time-use" board wipe, since the second copy wouldn't hit much, but this probably needs to be Sultai. The flavor also seems more Ooze-y since it's absorbing everything into itself.

Salamastodon 2WR
Creature - Lizard Elephant U
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ if the number of +1/+1 counters on it is less than two.
2R, Remove a +1/+1 counter on ~: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature that dealt damage to it this turn.
Fun fact: It can launch its massive tusks as a defense mechanism. Not-so-fun fact: Your provocation is now triggering that mechanism.
3/3
Interesting flavor, and it matches the creature type well, what with the regenerating of body parts. This would be a strong creature in limited just for the stats, but I'm not sure the ability would play all that well, as I can imagine a lot of players forgetting that activating the ability would reduce its toughness, potentially killing it.

Voracious Owlbear 2UG
Creature - Bird Bear U
Trample
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it
"I know what it looks like but we actually didn't make this one. It was like that when we got here." - Juric, Simic Researcher
4/3
Weird to have a non-flying bird, but connecting it to the known quantity of owlbears makes it work. This would be a very strong limited 4-drop that would benefit from any number of +1/+1 counter based themes that usually pop up in simic. It is a bit snowball-y, which might feel bad to play against, but isn't super unreasonable and could serve as a signpost uncommon.

Pauper Punisher 2WB
Creature- Elephant Cleric (U)
Vigilance
At the beginning of each end step, if you gained life this turn, choose one:
Each opponent loses 2 life
Create a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token.
"If you can't pay the tithe in gold, you'll pay with your body."
3/3
Usually Orzhov spirit tokens have flying- of course, this gets substantially stronger if it does. Even just one of the options would be a strong enabler for consistent life gain limited strategies, and the body is decent for the cost. Fits in WB well and plays into the "bleeder" strategies typical of Orzhov. Good job overall.

Lizrog Skinshedder UG
Creature - Lizard Frog Shapeshifter M
G: Until end of turn, ~ becomes a bear in addition to its other types and gains vigilance and trample.
U: Until end of turn, ~ becomes a bird in addition to its other types and gains flying.
6: Until end of turn, ~ becomes an elephant in addition to its other types and has base power and toughness 8/8.
2/2
This is a monster in limited (and in concept), but the mythic rarity gives it mostly constructed applications. 6 is kind of a lot of mana to use for "threat of activation" in standard, but other cards with comparable activated abilities have seen play. Bonus points for getting all 5 creature types onto the card.

Bael's Chosen 2BG
Creature - Frog Demon (R)
When Bael's Chosen attacks exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a land card.
You may play an additional land from exile on each of your turns.
Whenever a land card enters the battlefield under your control each player loses 1 life.
3/3
This is an interesting combination of abilities, and with the right setup can get you the extra land drop right away (e.g. if you've delved away a fetchland). It is an enabler for a Thassa's Oracle/ Laboratory Maniac combo if you only play MDFC lands, but it wouldn't be the first thing to do that.

Basking Geologist - 1W
They stand on a rocky ridge and look ahead through the oppressive sunlight, having the time of their life while their students pant and sweat in the background.
Creature - Lizard Scout C
Basking Geologist gets +1/+1 as long as you control a basic mountain.
2/2
This goes to the margins of the definition of "multicolored," but it's a balanced, functional common that has really good concepting. Nice.

Jaggedbeak Imposter 1GB
First Strike
Other birds lose flying.
2/3
I'm guessing putting the bird type in rules text rather than the type line is important to sell the "impostor" thing. The concept works flavorfully, but the mechanical result is a decent body that is a weird, very narrow hoser.

Angel's Acolyte -- WR
{Art: A hawk flies through the clouds, flanked by angels on either side.}
Creature -- Bird Cleric -- U
Flying, Lifelink, Vigilance
It joined their flock, then their vanguard.
2/3
This is an extremely powerful limited card- pushing a bit above where the signpost uncommons typically are, and it's in the colors most likely to have some +1/+1 counters, auras, or equipment to maximize it. It could probably be punched up to 3 or even 4 mana and still be good.

Drop Bear UG
Creature- Bear C
Flash
"You dropped bears on their heads. Who expects that?"
"Anyone from Zendikar."
2/2
Well, it sure is a bear. They've printed this for 1G as Ashcoat Bear, so unfortunately it just compares unfavorably to that.

Lots of good entries, but I'll give this one to mystic1110. Runners up would be mythmonster2 and Dr.Gunsforhands.

mystic1110
2021-05-05, 09:46 AM
Thank you for the Judgement!

Next Challenge:

Make a Non-Legendary Creature with a Converted Mana Cost of 8 or More